• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Ishin! | Review Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sega did combat demos before, they show nothing about the game obviously. The combat is Yakuza fare, it usually grows on me. Its a Yakuza, expect some bat shit side missions. i'll be in love again.

I do love the accessibility options they've added.

Being able to hold X/Square to perform a basic 4 hit combo attack instead of mashing it is a godsend.

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

Arsic

Gold Member
Really liking it so far. 144 fps max quality settings at 4k on a 3080. Game is a looker. Plays very well.

My only complaint is that in some in game talking moments the clothes of character models will flicker, and it’ll drop the textures and details of their clothing. Strange bug.

gela94

So there is no OT for this game? I'm getting some stuttering from time to time especially during fights.

Spyxos

Gold Member
After Hogwarts Legacy, the game looks a bit outdated. I thought it wouldn't be a problem for me, but somehow it doesn't just look old, it also plays very dated. And I think other Yakuza remakes looked better.

Man screw you Best Buy. I bought from there just for the steelbook since it would have better resale value and not only did they wait until release date today to ship, it hasn't even shipped yet! It says I should get it tomorrow but it is still pretty lame.

This is a good game with an interesting story and characters, like other RGG games, but it is way overpriced and does look very dated visually.

It actually looks okay-to-good in the cutscenes, albeit these are limited to 30 fps, but I am not sure if these are pre-rendered or real-time. The problem is that going from those cutscenes to the in-game graphics (at 60 fps+) is often jarring as the gameplay has very flat lighting and limited shadows compared with the cutscenes. I've tried using Engine INI tweaks to push the visual fidelity to match the cutscenes but it doesn't seem to work. I seem to recall there was a mod for Yakuka 0 on PC which forced the higher quality models of the cutscenes for all gameplay so that is what this game needs in my opinion.

Considering this has been ported over to Unreal Engine 4 and costs £54.99 here in the UK - basically a triple A price point - then I would have hoped for a bit more effort from the developers than a barebones port just with a higher resolution and framerate (outside of those 30 fps cutscenes). This could and should have been so much better.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Seems like some are confused if this is a new title or not.

It’s not. It originally released in Japan only 2014, now releasing to western audiences.

It’s just a remaster. I didn’t expect it to be as well-rounded as their recent games either, so I’ll play this just for the narrative as combat seems somewhat antiquated.

SkylineRKR

Its just a remaster of a game thats nearly 10 years old and basically was build for PS3. Also released on PS4 but already looked dated on that console. The remaster is better though, there are no loading screens when entering buildings etc. But compared to the Dragon Engine Yakuza games built for PS4, I think this one is less impressive overall. Its PS3 roots are still all over.

But I like Ishin. Its the first time its available in English.

Arsic

Gold Member
15 hours in. Chapter 7. This is so far the best game of 2023 for me. It has everything I want and it has it in spades.

After chapter 5 when the combat really expands and you get access to the dungeons it becomes a LOT of fun.

Top Bottom