• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List your three top things that annoy you the most when driving/commuting

Fare thee well

Neophyte
If you drive most days you probably run into a few things that become tedious, annoying, or infuriating. List your top 3 biggest annoyances when driving.

A lot of mine deal with merging. I generally hate everything about merging

1) someone getting onto a 65mph freeway at a dangerously slow speed (and you're stuck behind them). They never go beyond 40mph and put you at serious risk, because there is such a huge difference in the speed cars are trying to adjust to.

2) on the opposite side of #1, you see this when there is a lot of traffic. Everyone takes their turn getting into a merging lane and even have their turn signal on. But what does this jackass do? Completely ignores every car in front of them and cuts around behind into the merge lane at full speed preventing anyone from getting in.

3) Shitty brakers. I don't know about you, but gee, I happen to look at the brake lights in front of me. But the car I'm following? He's got tap dancing on the mind because they push that fucking brake like it's a morse code signal. You have to completely ignore whatever the fuck they are doing to look at the car beyond for better brake signaling. It could be wide open space with zero traffic, and they just randomly tap that shit with glee. I will never understand 🤪

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
1) People who pull into an intersection at a light when there isn't enough room on the other side for them to get out of the intersection. There is a special place in hell for people who pull into the intersection and then change lanes into one with enough room for them but not the poor sap who entered the intersection expecting that spot.
2) People who wait to the last second to merge into a lane that is already backed up, then sit there with their directional on trying to merge, blocking the lane next to the backed up lane. Extra hell credit if they pulled out of the lane they want to merge back into so they could drive past the line.
3) Tailgaters

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I live in a city that's basically a bunch of suburban neighborhoods connected by various major, three to four lane streets, with lots of commercial stretches peppered throughout. As you can imagine, people are constantly turning off the major streets or turning onto them.

So, with that vision in your head, most of these four lane streets are 45 MPH. There's a lot of commuters who pass through the area and think that just because the left lane is the fast lane, that means everyone in it needs to be going like 60 - 70 MPH. Despite the fact that, again given the layout of the area, people are constantly getting ready to turn off. So you get a lot of assholes that tailgate people, honking, getting angry and menacing because the person is going 50 MPH in the fast lane rather than 70+. It's fucking annoying and dangerous.

What's funny is the police presence through many of the major stretches here is thick, and they've started pulling over more speeders in the area and ticketing for tailgating (I don't know if it's improper driving or what). And despite seeing people pulled over all day, every day, the out of towner commuters keep on doing it, then complaining about the police.

Bitch shut the fuck up and just drive 50 MPH. You'll safely get where you're going in 15 minutes rather that 13 minutes. Calm the fuck down.

Cyberpunkd

No acceleration lanes to get on a freeway - Jesus fuck, who thought this was a good idea? There are a few points like that around Paris - they are not marked by a sign, nor on the ground. First time you drive and don’t know you make it all the way and then go OH SHIT, lane is merging.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
1.Construction zones when people can see the lane is ending and gun the gas in the ending lane up to the sign to force their way instead of merging at the appropriate time.

All it does is clog up both lanes and cause a mess of congestion that could easily be fixed if everyone didn’t think they were the most important person in the road.

2.People constantly dipping and diving through lanes, accelerating and braking constantly, thinking they are getting somewhere only for you to catch them at the red light. They cause a bunch of extra stress for themselves and everyone around them for no good reason.

3.People doing everything except driving, while driving. Eating, doing makeup, shifting through papers and files, talking on the phone. When driving you have one job, and one job only. Fucking do it.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
No acceleration lanes to get on a freeway - Jesus fuck, who thought this was a good idea? There are a few points like that around Paris - they are not marked by a sign, nor on the ground. First time you drive and don’t know you make it all the way and then goes OH SHIT, lane is merging.
It's awful. I live in an older northern town so a lot of the merges were designed when people were more likely to go 55mph. It's SOOO dangerous to merge into 65mph with just about 10 carlengths to merge. Reeee 😄

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Just having to drive to get to work is my pet peeve. That's an hour of my life I'm not getting paid for, but I'm also not getting it back.

GeekyDad

• Riding my ass. That just makes me go into auto-slowdown mode to piss you off more.
  • Signalling as you're turning. The whole idea is to forewarn the car behind you, so they can prepare to slow down for you.
  • Just come into my lane, don't worry about colliding with me or signalling. You're entitled, you fucking moron!

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Just having to drive to get to work is my pet peeve. That's an hour of my life I'm not getting paid for, but I'm also not getting it back.
That's why I don't get all the hate on self-driving cars. Asside from the feasibility, which I can totally agree with detractors on, let's just pretend it can fully exist for a moment. In a self-driving car, we could sleep, eat breakfast, watch a nice video, talk to anyone commuting with us, read, play games, etc. It sucks to lose an hour regardless, but I'd sure welcome self-driving cars if it could ever get to that.

Cyberpunkd

It's awful. I live in an older northern town so a lot of the merges were designed when people were more likely to go 55mph. It's SOOO dangerous to merge into 65mph with just about 10 carlengths to merge. Reeee 😄
Worse - what I meant is the lanes coming on a freeway do not merge on a separate lane which then goes away but still gives you time to merge. These are regular lanes that cut the moment they hit the freeway, you need to stop, look for the cars coming (who of course will be driving like on a freeway, they go 90km/h, you go 0), then accelerate and quickly jump in.

Another one - roundabouts that give priority to people coming on the roundabout, not the ones that already are driving on one. The opposite is equally retarded - every exit, priority is given to the ones getting off the roundabout vs ones driving through to the next exit.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

1. People using their phones whilst driving. I’m not talking via handsfree, I’m talking full on texting or whatever whilst having only one hand on the wheel.
2. Backseat drivers. Yeah, you know that I’m in the seat? With my hands on the wheel? Yeah, you know that I passed my test? Good, shut the fuck up.
3. Sunday drivers. There’s a speed limit. Stick to it, you slow cunt.

T8SC

1. Caravans (and other obstacles)

7cv4h.gif

2. Drivers who drive 20mph under the 60mph limit but 10mph above the 30mph limit.

3. People who can't park.

jeremy-clarkson-sometimes-my-genius.gif

BigBooper

People hardly ever use turn signals anymore. It's ridiculously easy to do but people are too retarded to do it nowadays.

People waiting at a four way stop, skipping their turn to be polite and let someone else go first. Then the other person sits around too long because it wasn't their turn and now everyone is confused. Just go when it's your turn and everyone will get through quicker.

Changing lanes directly into another driver's blind spot, especially if it's a trucker. That makes me grit my teeth if I'm riding with someone who's oblivious to stuff like that. I don't want to die, thank you.

I work in the Napa Valley, and commuting to and from is a fucking slog. Drivers are either 15 miles under the speed limit so the can peep the vineyards, or they are drunk and all over the fucking road. I hate.

When the car in front of you suddenly changes lanes without a signal because the car in from of them has stopped and they don't wanna brake.

Selfish drivers are gonna take my top 3 spots of what's annoying on the road.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
In no particular order.

- Oversized trucks

- People who don't care if they live or die

- People who just assume you are going to let them over

AzullAbaddon

Neo Member
People who don't seem to know where they are going. These are the drivers that decide they want in the left turn lane at a light from the middle or far right lane about 10 feet from the light. They also tend to slow for a turn about 1/2 a mile early.
People not paying attention at a red light. This is especially true when you are in a long line at a left hand turn light. Seeing one car totally clear the intersection before the next comes into view and knowing you are going to get the red.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I can deal with most anything except stop and go traffic. For whatever reason it drives my anger through the goddamn roof, especially if we’re heading out camping on a holiday weekend and I’m pulling our trailer. Like, if I had to drive an extra 20 miles at full speed or sit in traffic for 20 minutes, I’d take the former every time even if the time was the same.

Keihart

1. People wearing perfume
  2. People with BO.
  3. People blasting music on speakers instead of using earphones/headphones.
I don't drive to work, that shit is for suckers in the city i live, takes you double the time and like 4 times the money, not to mention you don't even get to doze of on the way if you are tired.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Getting rid of cars still on the side of the road, keep the sides clear.

Drivers who think they’re championship drag racing champions the roads are for everyone.

Center lane perfectionists.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I work in the Napa Valley, and commuting to and from is a fucking slog. Drivers are either 15 miles under the speed limit so the can peep the vineyards, or they are drunk and all over the fucking road. I hate.
Omg, I've done that route during commute a few times. And holy shit, you're not wrong 😆

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
People hardly ever use turn signals anymore. It's ridiculously easy to do but people are too retarded to do it nowadays.

People waiting at a four way stop, skipping their turn to be polite and let someone else go first. Then the other person sits around too long because it wasn't their turn and now everyone is confused. Just go when it's your turn and everyone will get through quicker.

Changing lanes directly into another driver's blind spot, especially if it's a trucker. That makes me grit my teeth if I'm riding with someone who's oblivious to stuff like that. I don't want to die, thank you.
I actually hate dealing with four-way stop signs so much because of that. I honestly would rather have stoplights.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am commuting on a bicycle.
I have nice sidewalk bicycle lane my whole way.
There are like 8 intersections and every fucking time at least 4 of them are blocked by a car or I have to stop/slow down or someone would mow me down. And I have the priority here. So far in a year, I was only hit by a car once

dave_d

Let's see.

1.People who don't know what a yield sign means. My guess is close to 80% have no idea what it means and either think it has literally no meaning or that it's a super stop sign and you must absolutely stop and wait an extended period of time. All it means is if somebody else is coming the other way they have the right of way. I've seen so many people yield to I guess ghosts or air or something because there was nothing there and they're yielding. (Rotaries and roundabouts would be so much better if people would just go but they stop even if there's no cars at all.)

2. People who are absolutely convinced they are driving some form of tractor trailer truck. This is about 50% of the population. Because they think they're driving a truck they think they need absolutely huge gaps to fit in because of the large size of their imaginary vehicle and the slow acceleration. (In reality they drive a standard sedan that can probably hit 0-60 in 6 seconds.) Oh and because they think they drive a tractor trailer they can not take a turn correctly. No you go to the left side of the road to take a left, not to the extreme right. (Watch people when you know how to take a turn. So many swing to the opposite side like they need the room for a trailer that they don't have.)

3. People who are stupidly courteous. You know the type. You're trying to pull out and somebody coming on the other road stops and then tells you to go. Usually there's nobody behind them so it would have been faster and less confusing for them to do what they're supposed to do and just go than what they actually did and they can't figure that out. Of course sometimes they're actually dangerous because since they're so stupid they don't realize they've only blocked one lane of multiple lanes and screwed with your ability to see what's behind them. Directing traffic is for the cops since they actually have training to do it and are hopefully not as stupid as the person trying to be helpful.

Of course just list everything I see that people can't do when driving. (It's long.)

Reactions: Gp1

Susurrus

When I fall asleep at the wheel.

When I fart in my car and hotbox myself.

When I gotta pee.

My commute is like 5-10 minutes down a road with no traffic. Pretty low stress.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
You know it's funny. In my state there is actually a law that if you have your windshield wipers on, then so should you also have your lights on. I haven't seen it enforced once. I see cops drive by as a literal 3rd of all cars don't have their headlights on in a downpour 🤪

Cyberpunkd

I am commuting on a bicycle.
I have nice sidewalk bicycle lane my whole way.
There are like 8 intersections and every fucking time at least 4 of them are blocked by a car or I have to stop/slow down or someone would mow me down. And I have the priority here. So far in a year, I was only hit by a car once
I have one for you: bikers that constantly run the red light and navigate around the pedestrians when they cross. I’m on the bike, signal lights don’t apply to me. Constant shit in Paris.

Haven't been commuting for almost 2 years now :lollipop_anxious_sweat:
Only thing I don't hate with commuting is that I have some time for audio books.

Fbh

People who think this:
hazard-warning-lights-button-300x178.jpg

Is a "park anywhere" button.
Right lanes in my town are pretty much unusable because of it.

Need to buy something from the convenience store but there's nowhere to park? Just leave your car on the road next to it and press the magic button!.
Here to pick up someone but they've just told you it's going to take them 15 minutes to be ready? No problem just stay right there and press the magic button!
Told the wife to go pick up the dinner your ordered? No need to tell her to wait for you on the same spot as you go around the block, just stay right there and press the magic button!.

Top Bottom