• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List Your Top 5 Games of the Year [2022]

Handel

1. Pentiment(Xbox Series) : An engrossing narrative across several decades, that highlights the importance of the changes you can impact on the world, even from seemingly small moments of encouragement. A prime example of how style and execution can elevate dialogue to new heights, from ventures into the pages of books, to the spattering of ink as a character writes angrily. The most beautiful ending in a game since The Last Guardian.

2. Citizen Sleeper(Xbox series) : A tense struggle to even survive in the early game breaks away into a poignant story of finding purpose in a dying husk of a space station, reconnecting with your humanity. The excellent music and mechanically chill gameplay creates an easy to lose track of time in atmosphere.

3. Elden Ring(Xbox series) : One of the few games to give a true sense of adventure, combined with the tried and true Soulsborne formula makes for an epic experience.

4. Grounded(Xbox series) : Game is a blast to play with my best friends, exploring dangerous new areas and feeling a great sense of accomplishment every time we get strong enough to beat an enemy that would wipe us in the past.

5. Fuga : Melodies of Steel(Xbox series): Didn't know this game existed until it dropped on GamePass a few months ago, and quickly fell in love. Great tactical combat using a badass super tank, with optional hard routes I always took, combined with some charming character moments from the child soldiers manning the tank. It feels like an old school gamey ass game in all the right ways.

FeastYoEyes

Definitely was a hit or miss year for me. Some of these came out in a different year (hope that's okay).

1. Elden Ring - PS5
2. Cyberpunk 2077 - PS5
3. Prodeus - XSX
4. High on Life - XSX
5. MW2 - XSX

A lot of letdowns for me this year. Horizon fell real flat. Callisto was a bit of a slog. Hoping for more interesting games next year.

Elden Ring and Cyberpunk were incredible though.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
1- Elden Ring
2- The Case of The Golden Idol
3- Rogue Legacy 2
4- Nightmare Reaper
5- Lil Gator Game

I finished the first two games, I played enough to evaluate the other 3 games. It was a year where I mostly tried to finish my backlog, played online fps games and played co-op kids games(with my daughter). I will try God of War when it comes to ps plus, it would probably be in my top 5 if I could play it(second place or below:messenger_winking:).
Pentiment looks like a game I might like too.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Elden Ring
Vampire Survivors
High on Life
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Disney Dreamlight Valley

Edit: Cyberpunk 2077 would be in that list if it included all games.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
How was yurukill? I played the demo and liked it, but haven't gotten the chance to play it.
It's like Catherine in the sense that it combines two fun things that don't really meaningfully enhance each other, but are both enjoyable. If you get through the whole game, you can play it as a stand-alone shmup which is a pretty big bonus since the shmup sections are well designed.

Fbh

This was mostly a backlog year to me as I finally got a Ps5 and spent most of the year catching up with releases.

Of the games released this year that I played:
1. Elden Ring
2. Triangle Strategy
3. Bayonetta 3
4. Sifu
5. Tunic

But I've yet to play God of War, Xenoblade, Horizon, Vampire survivor, Rogue Legacy 2, Lost Judgement, Citizen Sleeper, etc

fart town usa

Gold Member
No particular order and not limited to released 2022. I mostly play older games.

Elden Ring
Ghostwire: Tokyo
Devil's Third
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Demon's Souls Remake

Perrott

Gold Member
Been eyeing Strange Horticulture on Switch after it showed up on the Polygon list. You're the only other person I've seen mention it.
Yeah, its a great game with some very fresh mechanics and moment to moment gameplay, as well as an interesting Lovecraftian setting. I played it on PC, but it seems like a perfect game for the Switch, given the super chill vibes of the game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah, its a great game with some very fresh mechanics and moment to moment gameplay, as well as an interesting Lovecraftian setting. I played it on PC, but it seems like a perfect game for the Switch, given the super chill vibes of the game.
I might have to pick that one up. Sounds cool.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This was mostly a backlog year to me as I finally got a Ps5 and spent most of the year catching up with releases.

1. Elden Ring
2. Triangle Strategy
3. Bayonetta 3
4. Sifu
5. Tunic

But I've yet to play God of War, Xenoblade, Horizon, Vampire survivor, Rogue Legacy 2, Lost Judgement, Citizen Sleeper, etc
GOW and HFW were both fantastic experiences for me. I hope you like and enjoy them just as much.

Rogue Legacy 2 is also next in queue for me.

begotten

1. Digimon Survive
2. Horizon Forbidden West
3. Nobody Saves The World
4. Triangle Strategy
5. God of War Ragnarok

Lunarorbit

1. Elden Ring
2. Triangle Strategy
3. Bayonetta 3
4. Sifu
5. Tunic

For some reason I couldn't beat avlora the second time I fought her (there's a pool in the middle of the map). I was crusing along in that game up until that point and then I returned it to the library and moved.

5)Triangle strategy
2)Cyber shadow/infernax
4)Prey
6)No one saves the world
1)Yakuza kiwami
3)Elden ring

All on the PS5 except for triangle strategy. Really liked kiwami as it's the first yakuza game I ever played. Thinking about playing 0 or 2 next.

Edit: forgot slay the spire. I think it was a ps plus game but it was great. Makes me want to try inscription

Last edited:

MacReady13

Vampire Survivors (Series X)
Elden Ring (PS5)
The Callisto Protocol (PS5)
TMNT Shredder's Revenge (PS5)
TMNT Collection (PS5)

What a really average year for gaming. 2023 would wanna be better than this. Vampire Survivors though is a fucking masterpiece.
TMNT collection just shows how much better gaming was when it focused on gaming over anything else.
Callisto Protocol haters can go get fucked. Game is so good. Love me some linear horror.
Elden Ring had me hooked from the beginning and really never let go. This is how you do proper open world gaming, every other developer!
Shredder's Revenge is just another reminder of retro gaming done right and why, when you focus on gameplay and great level design, gaming is better for it. The story really needs to take a backseat and the game needs to let us control it over us watching bloody story scenes (hello God Of War/Last Of Us/ALMOST every Sony 1st party, 3rd person game)!

Special mention must go to High On Life (Series X). I purchased the game yesterday and I'm having a blast with it! Not too sure what these reviewers are smoking whilst playing this game but it controls well and has really good level design. It's quite funny in parts as well (those yellow colored alien building/construction guys in that desert world made me laugh HARD)! If it had come out a month earlier it more than likely would have made my list.

Little edit here- forgot I played Immortality on Series X earlier this year. Fucking loved it. Easily in my top 5. Not too sure what I’d take out but Immortality is fantastic. In fact, take out Callisto and put in Immortality. The type of game I shouldn’t like but going into it knowing it’s more an interactive movie that a game helped heaps. But it’s basically a David Lynch film in a video game. I love it!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
1.Elden Ring
2.Uncharted 4 Remastered
3.God of war Ragnarok
4.Vampire Survivors
5.Stray
Duke Nukem Forever 2001 beta !!!!!!!!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Destiny 2 Witch Queen
Gotham Knights
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
Vampire Survivors
New CoD

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My top five completed games for 2022 -

1. God of War Ragnarok - 9.5/10 (PlayStation 5)
2. Dying Light 2: Stay Human - 9.0/10 (Xbox Series X)
3. Horizon Forbidden West - 9.0/10 (PlayStation 5)
4. A Plague Tale Requiem - 8.5/10 (Xbox Series X)
5. Steel Rising - 8.5/10 (Xbox Series X)

Elden Ring
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
Bayonetta 3
Pokemon Legends: Arceus
The King of Fighters XV

Honorable metions: ANNO: Mutationem, Sifu, Kirby and the Forgotten Kingdom, Splatoon 3, and God of War Ragnarok.

Playing through River City Girls 2 and Signalis right now, and saving Xenoblade 3 until all DLC is out.

How's River City Girls 2?
Good. Typical sequel, more of the first game but bigger, some quality of life, and they greatly improved the combo system and made enemies less spongy They just need to patch the framerate problem/bug, which they said they are.

Last edited:

stn

Hard to rank them, but:

1. Elden Ring
2. GoW: Ragnarok
3. Stranger of Paradise
4. King of Fighters 15
5. Bayonetta 3

There are some games I might add after beating them, such as Xenoblade 3, Callisto Protocol, and NFS Unbound.

Paltheos

1) Risk of Rain 2: Survivors of the Void DLC - Hopoo's long-awaited first ( only, probably D: ) DLC pack for RoR2 delivers in spades. Corrupted items are a great idea, the new items are fun to play with (and introducing shit like the Mocha to undilute the item pool so you can still get basic movement and attack speed is a brilliant touch) the new stages and alternate final boss are fun. I've put close to 1000 hours into this game and so many of them this year too. Getting on and clearing the new Eclipse difficulty with every character with my friends has been a great time (almost there too! only three characters left). Oh, and the new Simulacrum mode has been a great way to diversify our play when we don't just want to do a regular run... although we have lost a couple runs to enemies getting Tesla Coils and instant-killing us and my own solo runs have crashed the game a few times past wave 200 from having too many Clovers and proc items and too much shit spawning in a boss wave. Also! Blind Pests are kinda bullshit, but the crazy amount of time I've spent in the game (and on Eclipse difficulties) have taught me how much of this game has just having needed to get good. Which I am now. And the game is awesome.
Anyway, Risk of Rain 2 continues to be the most addicting multiplayer game for me with friends. I've played allot of stuff the past few years - Vermintide, Darktide, Killsquad, Payday, Pulsar, Alien Swarm, Left 4 Dead/Back 4 Blood, Strange Brigade, Nine Parchments. None of them compare to my time with Risk of Rain.
Oh, and old news: Chris Christodoulou is a talented composer! The Raindrop that Fell to the Sky is a track from the base game but is still beautiful and not just my favorite track from the game but one of my favorite pieces of video game music ever.

2) The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure - The hype is about accurate. Trails to Azure is everything Trails aspires to be, for better (mostly) with a little bit of for worse. It's a very different beast from Trails in the Sky, and it hits the mark as a political drama. A few of the twists I did not see coming, and the climaxes are fantastic. Music is also quite good - Not Falcom's best but good for Falcom. I think this game has the most interesting setup in the series of orbment systems, and I like the combo crafts quite a bit. Despite that, not my favorite battle system. Most of the SSS were a pretty plain bunch to me from Trails from Zero, but by this game I'd scoped out clear favorites and the crew's really grown on me. Randy is best boy btw - dude's a total bro.
I keep going back and forth on favorites but, as someone who's played all the games in this series through CS4 and is waiting for Reverie next year, I tie it with Sky 3 and Cold Steel 1 in my head as my favorite. All very different games with their own strengths and I've had a tough time putting one on top.

3) Elden Ring - Mid-tier Fromsoft imo but that still blows most competition out of the water (for the record, I think BB and DS3 are *clearly* better with some arguments maybe for DS1). Enormous, beautifully crafted and horrific world to explore; tons of new enemies to carefully learn and fight. The scope of the game world really doesn't hit you until you reach that first teleporter chest or the map expands on you from exploring - The impact isn't quite as memorable as say Breath of the Wild's, but it's still impressive regardless. My big objections are in how much recycled content is in the game (and how much context is disregarded, on a story and gameplay end), how the game seems to have push beyond the boundaries of what is fair in an attempt to up the ante from previous titles, and how the new titles you're presented with completely break the experience by comically overpowering you. Still a fun game, but this is Elden Ring and I'm on neogaf. Preaching to the choir.

4) Tokyo Xanadu eX+ - In allot of ways it's kinda just Persona and that's ok. The game meanders allot in the middle but that's fine because it delivers when it's time to play. I like the single-player character action stuff here more than the party nonsense modern Ys games seem to stick too, and incidentally the boss fights seem tighter on the whole (or maybe I'm just less distracted from there being fewer things on the screen). The dungeons are lean and encourage you to push through optimally (killing everything and with minimal damage to yourself; nabbing all the chests you can) in order to get a high grade for more bonuses, and I appreciate that straightforward design. Music is on point in this game, possibly the best output from Takahiro Unisuga in his history of Falcom (which is saying something considering how well received his Ys 8 work is). Sometimes the day-to-day tracks feel like second-rate copies of Hagiuda's or Momiyama's work but most of them are good, and the action tracks are almost always fantastic. Rion is best girl and most of the rest of the cast aren't too remarkable (apparently this game was a pet project for new members of the company). I like the Normal ending to this game allot, and the True ending and everything related to it feels like creepy fanfiction. Still fun to play though but I never shook that feeling throughout the epilogue lol.

5) No clear favorites really. I've spent a good chunk of the year on a quest to play all the modern Falcom games (and the last three months in particularly playing Cold Steel 3 and 4). I guess if I had to pick one I'd probably go with... Killsquad, which I mentioned earlier as a clearly less fun game than RoR2, but it's probably the other multiplayer game I've played that I had the most fun with. I think it also flew under most people's radar because my friends and I couldn't find anything on it online when we were looking for information on how some shit works. It's an isometric action game (btw), probably easiest to understand as Diablo-like, except with levels you complete for loot to upgrade your gear/abilities rather than an open world. The game just has a satisfying play feel and moves swiftly without too much shit slowing it down. Difficulty modifiers in levels (for more loot at the end) are there and also fun - There's the vanilla stuff like reducing your max HP of course, but then there's more interesting stuff like tieing chains onto all of the members of your team and damaging you and your squadmates if you spread too far apart. Some of them forced coordination or else you'd die horribly, and I liked the shakeup.

Last edited:

Fbh

For some reason I couldn't beat avlora the second time I fought her (there's a pool in the middle of the map). I was crusing along in that game up until that point and then I returned it to the library and moved.

5)Triangle strategy
2)Cyber shadow/infernax
4)Prey
6)No one saves the world
1)Yakuza kiwami
3)Elden ring

All on the PS5 except for triangle strategy. Really liked kiwami as it's the first yakuza game I ever played. Thinking about playing 0 or 2 next.

Edit: forgot slay the spire. I think it was a ps plus game but it was great. Makes me want to try inscription

Yeah she is pretty tough.
I started the game on hard but around 60% in turned it down to normal. Hard, while totally doable, just felt unfair. Having your assassin circle around enemies only to backstab them and do like 20% damage felt unrewarding.
Normal was more enjoyable as the damage output for both your party and enemies is around the same

MagnesD3

5)Triangle strategy
2)Cyber shadow/infernax
4)Prey
6)No one saves the world
1)Yakuza kiwami
3)Elden ring

If you like cards games and want to feel powerful play inscryption it's excellent and one of my favorite games

Fuz

Banned
1. Perfect Tides

...I have a hard time thinking of more. What the hell did I play this year?

Camreezie

1. God of War Ragnarok
2. Pokemon Violet
3. The Callisto Protocol
4. Horizon Forbidden West
5. Stray

Life got in the way and i played a lot less this year but those are the main ones i finished.
Sonic Frontiers is a lot of fun , Gotham Knights is a huge downfall from the Arkham games

Last edited:
Top Bottom