• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Town Hero review thread

Bullet Club

Bq1ELPt.jpg

Available on: Nintendo Switch Oct 16, 2019

Developer: GAME FREAK

Genre: RPG

TyaO8Wr.png

IGN: 7/10
Little Town Hero's combat can frustrate at times, but the battle system behind it is still full of charm and creativity.

RPG Site: 6/10
Even though its severe issues with optimization and gameplay balance have soured me on it, Little Town Hero is a neat game that I don’t regret checking out. Listening to the amazing tunes of Hitomi Sato and guest composer Toby Fox of Undertale fame throughout my 15-hour playthrough made for an enjoyable experience after all is said and done. There are a plethora of creative ideas inside Little Town Hero and I wish it came together more cohesively. Several performance and quality-of-life enhancements will go a long way for this game if it ever receives those patches.

Nintendo World Report: 9/10
Little Town Hero is a decidedly peculiar game, with an involved battle system occasionally interrupted by a mostly adorable story. The complexities of combat can get exhausting, especially during some hard, slow-paced bouts, but the spectacular style and vibe found in the visuals and the Toby Fox-led soundtrack help to paper over some of the maladies. This Game Freak game might not be for everyone, but if you’re looking for an adorable aesthetic amped up by hardcore CCG-inspired combat, Little Town Hero might be made specifically for you, because it seems like it’s that way for me.

Famitsu: 33/40

DonF

Thanks! Looks like the game is a 75. My hype was super deflated with every new trailer.
Interested in what reviewers say.

McCheese

The combat system is just, urg, I can sort of understand what they were aiming for but having to spend a lot of time just burning turns due to the various mechanic is frustratingly dull. Also technically it's a mess, the Pokemon licence has allowed them to remain so technically incompetent for so long.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
and yet another modern "jrpg" that is having issues with the battlesystem.
i don't understand why western rpg's just have better systems,

look at xenoblade chronicles 2 or ff 15 holy shit man... xD
only game i played that isn't straight garbo recently is dragon quest 11 (old jrpg style)
seems to me they lost it

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

only game i played that isn't straight garbo recently is dragon quest 11 (old jrpg style)
seems to me they lost it
I actually really liked XC2’s combat system also games like Tales series and Persona/SMT have great combat system. I guess it mostly comes down to personal opinion I much, much prefer combat system in most JRPGs over WRPG.

ROMhack

I saw this was released last night and honestly assumed it'd be underwhelming based on the fact I saw nobody talking about it.

Last edited:

Reon

Has Game Freak ever genuinely released a good game that wasn't using the Pokemon franchise? I guess HarmoKnight was okay... But I got it for free.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How the great have fallen..
I heard the team worked on this game are same one who are woking on Pokemon games, they are different teams.

Based on some reviews I read and watched they biggest thy don't like about is the difficulty.

Last edited:

Fbh

Watching some reviews I guess I see why some might like it but it's definitely not for me.

Has Game Freak ever genuinely released a good game that wasn't using the Pokemon franchise? I guess HarmoKnight was okay... But I got it for free.
Not really.
All of their other stuff falls into the same category as this game. Not great but not terrible either.

How the great have fallen..

Has Gamefreak ever been great after the gameboy era?
They had one big success which blew up and they've been milking it ever since ,

Last edited:
Watching some reviews I guess I see why some might like it but it's definitely not for me.

Not really.
All of their other stuff falls into the same category as this game. Not great but not terrible either.

Has Gamefreak ever been great after the gameboy era?
They had one big success which blew up and they've been milking it ever since ,

Drill Dozer is pretty good.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I've played a couple hours of it...its not bad, its kind of shallow in the RPG area but it's a cute game to pick up and do a battle and put back down in between other games.

zenspider

seems to me they lost it

What western RPG has a good battle system?
Am I wrong that they're either D+D dice games or just lesser action games?

D.Final

Banned

seems to me they lost it

I really liked the combat system of Final Fantasy XV.
(and I also like Dragon Quest XI)
Then, later, it is obvious that it also depends very much on personal tastes at the end.

From my point of view, and from what I have seen, Little Town Hero has a new and different combat system, but at the same time (potentially) too tedious, cumbersome, slow, and difficult to fully learn (especially for casuals ) if it don't have the right amount of patience.
[to the point where even those that should be tutorial clashes against the first Boss can easily get to last more than 30 minutes]

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
oof that sounds bad.
too buzy with witcher 3 + dq11 on the switch anyway

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
GF spent all their resources making this rather than SS and it was still a meh experience? YOU DON'T SAY!

Zephir

I don't want to sound harsh, but I'm around the final moments of this game and I've yet to figure out if this was more of a waste of money or a waste of time

-Arcadia-

Banned
I remember saying less antagonistic versions of all the things people are now saying about Game Freak in this thread, and elsewhere, years ago, to a hushed virtual room and quite some criticism.

I wonder what happened to make the sacred cow a whipping post. I guess taking away people’s imaginary critters is that devastating. 🙄

Crazily enough, I’m kind of defensive of them now. Still not really much of a fan, but the bashing seems like a massive overcorrection — from one extreme to another. Even the Pokédex thing seemed understandable from a development point of view, with over a thousand Pokémon in existence (I believe?).

Last edited:
Top Bottom