• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking back, Playstation Studios output in 2020 during a pandemic was honestly insane

January:
Patapon 2 Remastered (originally a PSP game, ported to PS4)

February:
Dreams (PS4)

March:
MLB The Show 20 (PS4)

April:
Predator: Hunting Grounds (PS4 and PC)

June:
The Last of Us Part 2 PS4 (GOTY winner)

July:
Marvel's Iron Man VR
Ghost of Tsushima (PS4)

August:
Horizon Zero Dawn (PC release)

November:
Astro's Playroom (PS5)
Demon's Souls (PS5)
Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS4 and PS5)
Spider-Man: Remastered (PS5)
Spider-Man: MIles Morales (PS4 and PS5)

It's still mindblowing to me how all of this came out during a damn pandemic and barely any delays.

Is this the best year for Playstation studios overall? If not, which one would you choose instead? (counting 1st party game releases and / or 1st party IPs developed by others like Sackboy)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i can smell the 2023 surprise of Playstation.

Can You Smell The Rock GIF by WWE

Little Chicken

Gold Member
Lockdowns started in March.

Most of these games would've already been near completion. Both Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 had already been delayed.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
These releases have zero to do with the Pandemic and were developed/worked on/released outside of any influencing factors tied to the pandemic itself. More honest title would’ve been “Sony had a great 2020”

Robb

Gold Member
It was okay I guess, way to re-master/port heavy imo. Didn’t blow my mind, that’s for sure.

The hyperboles jesus. Just an average release year. Nothing "insane" about it. None of those games were developed in 2020 you silly man. Pandemic had nothing to do with any of it. All of them were already mostly finished.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
These releases have zero to do with the Pandemic and were developed/worked on/released outside of any influencing factors tied to the pandemic itself. More honest title would’ve been “Sony had a great 2020”
lmao. Exactly. Pandemic didnt affect most of these games. The only thing impressive is the fact that they were able to ship their PS5 launch games on time, but then again so did everyone else that year. AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, CoD, and all other games slated to release in fall of that year made it.

It's disingenuous to bring up pandemic and then completely ignore the fact that THREE of Sony's 2021 games were delayed to 2022. All I heard was covid did it. Ok, well if covid delayed those games to 2022 then surely the pandemic affected Sony studios like it did everyone else. 2021 was a very weak year for Sony first party with just Returnal and Ratchet launching. THAT is when the affects of pandemic really started hitting Sony.

sachos

Yeah i always thought that year was pretty crazy when you realize they also released a next gen system with exclusive games for it.

vivftp

2020 was a magical year. I have a list of all first party and console exclusive games they had that year:

Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy VII Remake
The Last of Us Part 2
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered
Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales
Nioh 2
The Pathless
Godfall
Demon's Souls
Dreams
Sackboy A Big Adventure
MLB The Show 20
Astro's Playroom
Paper Beast
Granblue Fantasy Versus
Bugsnax
Iron Man VR
Predator Hunting Grounds
Fall Guys
Genshin Impact
Spelunky 2

As an added bonus, this is what 2021 was supposed to look lije before the pandemic smashed their plans apart:

Returnal
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Destruction All-Stars
Horizon Forbidden West
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut
Death Stranding Director's Cut
Kena Bridge of Spirits
MLB The Show 21
Deathloop
Chicory A Colorful Tale
Guilty Gear Strive
Jett The Far Shore

That would've been a world class 2 year run if it had played out like planned.

Top Bottom