• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for some travel cost saving tips, going to a concert in LA

Power Pro

I just found out that one of my favorite J-pop stars is going to be in LA in the month of May, and it's been 5 years since I last saw her in NYC, so I wanna try and see her again. Living in the midwest means I gotta travel pretty far from home, and I've never been to LA before. When I traveled to NYC, it was pretty painless, I stayed at a hotel near Times Square cuz that's where the concert was (which was a pretty shitty hotel, but it was a place to sleep), and I prepaid for a shuttle back and forth to the airport. In between, I didn't do much besides go to restaurants and a quick trip to the Museum of Natural History on the day I left.

I'm not familiar with what travel options are gonna be available for LA, or what the area the venue is at is like, so hoping to get some insight. I assume I'll be flying into LAX, and the venue is called The Novo. Not sure what shuttle options might be available that could take me too and from the airport. I was fortunate when I went to NYC that there was a shuttle that took me pretty close to Times Square, so I could walk for 10 minutes to get there. LA is a big city, and no idea if there is one that goes to the area that The Novo is.

I'd prefer to get a hotel near the venue, so I can just walk back and forth from the show. I'll probably just fly in on the day of the concert, and go home the day after. I don't have a whole lot of interest in seeing parts of LA, unless someone can recommend something really worth seeing in my first trip to LA.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Public transportation is ass here. Strongly recommend either ubering or getting a rental. Even if you can catch a bus or train, it's super sketch.

LAX is a shit show right now. They fucked it up big time. If budget allows, I would actually recommend Burbank if you can.

diffusionx

Gold Member
4MYMZaZ.jpg

Los Angeles is not a great city for visiting and getting around it sucks ass without a car, and it seems like you don't want to pay for uber/rental. I think you have a good plan in place. Stay away from PT. When I was broke in college I used to get supershuttle and the like which was cheap and worked fine for getting to/from the airport.

Last edited:
Fly to any airport but LAX if you can.
Rent a car. There is no other way to get around LA.
There's plenty of dirt cheap hotels in LA but parking near the venue will probably be expensive.
LA's rush hour is legendary for a reason. Understand when you will be traveling and try not to get caught in it. Especially if you're heading for DTLA, which you probably are.
Plan to use your phone and Google Maps or Waze to navigate through LA. It will save your sanity. Buy one of those cheap clips to attach your phone to the dash.
Find a good restaurant of the food type you like and eat. LA is one of the biggest foodie cities in the world. Don't miss out on this.
If you've never had In-N-Out Burger, this is your chance. Don't fuck it up.

Last edited:

Droxcy

Fly to ONT or Burbank -> Rent a car at ONT way cheaper -> Get a cheap hotel -> Parking in DTLA is easy there's a parking garage about 4-5 blocks away from the Novo/Staples center and its a easy/safe walk on a concert night if full there's tons of lot parking.

Last edited:

belmarduk

If you've never had In-N-Out Burger, this is your chance. Don't fuck it up.

This is the only thing I really did while I was in LA. Totally worth it!
I wanted to explore more but I was there for a layover from my Tokyo trip.

I know you recommended against flying to LAX but there's one within walking distance from there.

Top Bottom