• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for suggestions of comics/graphic novels that aren't standard DC/Marvel stuff

Fbh

I’m more of a manga guy than comic/graphics novel guy. I had a small comics collection as a kid but with the internet I discovered manga and have sort of preferred it ever since.

To me it really comes down to the fact that I’m not a fan of the whole concept of “runs” in comics and the never ending stories with the same characters. I know for some people that’s actually one of the big appeals since you can have various takes from different writers and artists based on these beloved characters, but to me it just makes them less interesting since I feel that nothing really matters as eventually it all gets reset or rebooted or there’s some story explanation as to why Batman is facing the joker for the 400th time.
Then you have events which take place over various different series and so if you truly want to get what’s going in this batman plot you also have to read nightwing and then maybe a chapter from Justice legue, but then this other characters appears which was introduced in some wonder woman comic, ec.

In Manga, I like that if I want to get into, say, Full Metal Alchemist I can just go and buy those 27 volumes and I get the whole story. It’s not a version of the story or one particular take…it’s the whole story and then the author moved on to make other stories with new characters taking place in new worlds.

With that said, I realize there’s way more to comics than just the standard Marvel and DC superheroes but I’m really ignorant when it comes to it, so I’m looking for suggestions of completed work that’s just one single story. Where I can read from chapter 1 to 50 (or whatever) and that’s the whole thing and not just a version of it or a run of it.

I’m both into action heavy stuff or more plot heavy stuff so from that point I’ll take all suggestions. Hopefully with cool art to go with it (If I can be honest, and I know some people will dislike this, hopefully stuff that looks a bit more modern than Watchen, never been a fan of the art in that)

What I have read:
- Watchmen : Loved it but, as I said, I'm just not fan of that old school art style
- Walking Dead: I was really into it but eventually dropped it since, much like the TV show, I just felt it was going nowhere and there never seemed to be an end goal for any of it. It turned into Rick and friends going through bad experienced which was fun for a whole but then got repetitive and boring.

TrainedRage

Banned
I like....

The Preacher
Preacher1SM_573a7cf76ba827.21170692.jpg

Spawn
Spawn_01-1.png

Witchblade
latest

The Darkness
darkness_1.jpg

Transmetropolitan
Transmetropolitan.jpg

Give them a look...

FMbarbarian

The Preacher and Sandman as mentioned above are amazing.

I’ll also throw in Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn. All men of every species die suddenly except for a loser in his 30’s and his monkey friend.

Top Ten is about a police department that presides over a city where everyone has superpowers. This is one of my favorite Alan Moore books it’s often overlooked and has a more modern art style compared to the Watchemen.

Doom85

A recent one I've greatly enjoyed is Monstress by Image Comics. It's a really dark fantasy series with a cool world and fantastic art. It's not completed though so you may want to wait for it to wrap up first.

Fbh

Thanks for the recommendations.

Preacher seems to be one that got mentioned the most and after reading a short preview it definitely sounds interesting.

I think I'll start with that one

Dacon

Banned
Check out Birthright if you're into action fantasy/thriller stuffed with a twist. It's still ongoing but you shouldn't have any problems catching up.
Birthright_B.jpg

theclaw135

Banned
I'd be happy to see a super hero comic in the general Marvel and DC style. Except told as a whole story.

Myself, back in the day I loved Sonic the Hedgehog.
Before they shoehorned in Sonic Adventure, rebooted it, the Mega Man crossover, same jazz you're talking about.
Funny enough the Knuckles stories were my favorite. The very part that worst fell victim to catastrophic annihilation from continuity.

Last edited:

FMbarbarian

I'd be happy to see a super hero comic in the general Marvel and DC style. Except told as a whole story.

Justice League: New Frontier might be up your alley. It’s a reimagining of DC Comic’s silver age that plays out in a single story kind of like the movie. You get to see the rise and evolution of DC comic’s iconic characters. The art style might not be for everyone but I love it. It has a classic timeless feel to it.

Edit: Got the names mixed up. The book is DC: The New Frontier. The animated movie is called Justice league: The New Frontier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom