• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Essence of Anime

What studio would y’all like to see take on Berserk? Who you think could handle that big boy. Be curious to fine something new to watch. Caught up on a lot now….zzz

Ballthyrm

I think we are all victims to selection bias, we only remember the good stuff, be it anime, music or movie.
I don't have space in my dumb brain to remember all the crappy anime i've watched...

Unless you're special, you'll remember the cowboy bebop episodes, Ghibli movie but you'll forget Yu-Gi-Ho or Pokémon.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Its funny looking back in it when I was a kid in the 90's I always remember anime being ultra slick with this sort of "cartoon realism" compared to what we get now, in the same way that in painting has it's moment of "classical realism" in the late 20th and early 21st century. For anime that was the 90's I do feel its a shame too because it was the style I grew up on, and even in japan's big anime movie industry you don't see this style anymore.

Example from one of my favorite movies, although Ghost in the Shell & Jin-Roh are other popular examples.

I think anime today is the most diverse its ever been, however the issue is alot of the time it feels (and looks) that way due to cost cutting rather than trying to follow a specific style.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What studio would y’all like to see take on Berserk? Who you think could handle that big boy. Be curious to fine something new to watch. Caught up on a lot now….zzz
WIT or BONES. Anyone else who would "fit" with them wouldn't get the right amount of quality. MAPPA is the mainstream opinion for GOAT anime studio right now but if you're actually not a casual they aren't that good. Their best work is from freelancers. MAPPA could only do if it they hired high quality staff or directors that talent will flock to otherwise lol no.

Tetsuro Araki is an amazing director for high quality and fast paced shows but he's not the best when it comes to subtlety so I wouldn't even have him on Berserk from WIT either.

Last edited:

Fbh

Modern anime definitely seems a bit samey, even a lot of mangas with more unique styles loose some of their uniqueness when translated to anime.
But manga is better anyway and there you can still find a lot of unique styles

Have yet to watch it but have it on my list and looks unique:

AAAABf68oWgsN8dT3Sf8USGxn_77veSc5yrk1oALltjzw6dUU4JL1KS7pDAd5CBy_PfYX5t5_0NVkQaTmkt1OSYOsNf2KpbN.jpg

Dorohedoro is great and yeah I definitely think Q Hayashida has a unique and recognizable style.
They killed the art style in the anime adaptation though with the ugly 3D visuals. If you get the chance I'd totally recommend reading the manga

Not really sure how good Bones is doing these days, haven't personally seen anything from them in a while.
But for some reason the visual style of the Escaflowne movie always stood out to me as something that would fit berserk:
tumblr_lo9deoLedL1qmpg90o1_500.gifv

ec93a660088cf3a3269f49a24bce47aea3d1d261.gifv

f840e1d27641deded227b79d96832fbc813b3363.gifv

Modern anime definitely seems a bit samey, even a lot of mangas with more unique styles loose some of their uniqueness when translated to anime.
But manga is better anyway and there you can still find a lot of unique styles

Dorohedoro is great and yeah I definitely think Q Hayashida has a unique and recognizable style.
They killed the art style in the anime adaptation though with the ugly 3D visuals. If you get the chance I'd totally recommend reading the manga

Not really sure how good Bones is doing these days, haven't personally seen anything from them in a while.
But for some reason the visual style of the Escaflowne movie always stood out to me as something that would fit berserk:
tumblr_lo9deoLedL1qmpg90o1_500.gifv

ec93a660088cf3a3269f49a24bce47aea3d1d261.gifv

f840e1d27641deded227b79d96832fbc813b3363.gifv
An amazing movie (series is ok). This is exactly the animation we need more of.

Top Bottom