• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LoTR Gollum's Developer "Daedalic Entertainment" Already Working on Next LoTR Game - Action Adventure Genre

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

First discovered by German games industry outlet Gameswirtschaft.de in the database of video game projects receiving a German government subsidy is a second Lord of the Rings game codenamed "It's Magic":

Description:

Daedalic is working on a new project that will transport the player into a lush world full of mythical creatures and magic. It tells a story from a character's perspective that has never been told before. The player discovers completely new regions and influences the events of the world within the scope of his role and his abilities. In his own way, he tries to influence the course of things and change the fate of the world. This project is aimed at avid fans of the fantasy story and 3D action-adventure genres around the world.

Projected release is August 2024, with a subsidy of 2.03M Euro. The rules allow devs to apply for a subsidy of up to 40% of the projected development cost.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

GHound

Gollum is in the 40s on metacritic and their first inclination is to announce they're making a new game with the same property? That is indeed one of the strategies ever.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
They should make a game where you play as the One Ring.

The goal is basically to get home to Papa Sauron, and try to get stupid mofos to pick you up from the rivers, depths of the Earth (these levels might take hundreds of years to complete),and then make their lives as unbearable as possible.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They should make a game where you play as the One Ring.

The goal is basically to get home to Papa Sauron, and try to get stupid mofos to pick you up from the rivers, depths of the Earth (these levels might take hundreds of years to complete),and then make their lives as unbearable as possible.

This is actually a really good concept. Over the course of the game you could have multiple hosts, driving all of them to madness.

Doom85

This worked out really well for them so far!

What other stupid shit LotR characters we have left?

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. You control her trying to constantly stealth into Bag End and steal whatever valuables you can find without getting caught by Bilbo or Frodo. That’s the whole game.

Truly GOTY material right there. Enjoy, Daedalic, that’s a freebie from me.

50 cent laughing GIF

Ozzie666

With the overwhelming success of Gollum, they are about to announce the much-anticipated sequel Gollum 2.

Okay only kidding it's an HD remake of 2023's hit Gollum.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't think there'll be a second Middle Earth game from Daedalic. The Gollum game is going to be a horrendous sales failure. That game will never ever recoup the five or six year development costs. On top of those deveopment costs, there's also the steep licensing costs just to create a game set in the world of Lord of the Rings. I'd be surprised if Daedalic will be able to survive this.

There’s no fucking chance this will see the light of day. After the absolute disaster their previous work has been I cannot see them lasting the year as a studio. The gaming industry is far too competitive to have studios pushing out actual shit like this.

Ozriel

M$FT
Reportedly the budget for Gollum was $15 million, and they expected to sell 1 million units in the first year.

That sales target is…highly unlikely.

Yes, give me more LotR games.

Also, Gollum sucks bad apparently, but a bad game doesn’t guarantee another. Just like a great game doesn’t guarantee another. After all, Redfall came from the same people who brought us Prey.

Top Bottom