• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lttp: Alan wake 2, no wonder it didn't sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikkis

Mod edit: there's an active OT. We don't need a LTTP for a 3 month old game

I bought this on launch but quit after first boss. Continued this year and now I am wondering if I should push to last couple hours to end. Forced myself to play so far, waste of time ,but I had dropped so many games this year so I really wanted to give this a chance.

pros:
- Setting in bright falls

cons:
- Narrow fov, makes it difficulty to see especially when panning camera
- Combat is either boring in Saga or frustrating in Alan, Aw1 one at least wasn't frustrating and had fun crowd control with light mechanic
- Story blows and is full of filler lines, of likes of "darkness is everywhere, inside me, yet there is light"
- Broadly speaking I had no idea what is going on with story, or why should I care at all
- Board sucks, sometimes even preventing picking up items before filling that shit
- Slow reloading shotgun and reloads in general
- Some bosses have attacks I still don't know how I was supposed to avoid them
- Musical was another exercise in frustration of finding where to go.
- Sure its flashy but is these kind of barely interactive and engaging set pieces really what some gamers love?
- Does upgrading really make sense in a game like this? KISS principle for me for this kinds of games
- Dodge in aw1 was smooth, this is more like stumble
- Successful dodges are not satisfying, no need for slow down, but for instance dodge in Dark souls feels great
- Run in this game is slower than many games half stick lean in some games.
- Shadow enemies sucked, random grabs
- Hotel sucked, everything looked the same
- Cut scenes replaced by shadows delivering dialog
- Cant pick up from containers without angling yourself correctly
- Too long checkpoints
- Most important items would have fit dpad automatically without using manual assignment.
- Had to check were to even go from guide in chapter "out in the night"

Overall in some games like Baldur's gate 3, I can see why some people love them, but in games like AW2, I just cant grasp how people love games like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCB3

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Oh this one is gonna be good, especially when you're being so wrong

BigLee74

Im nearing the end, and I kind of agree.

Saga’s levels are definitely more interesting. At least you know you need to fight the baddies. With Wake’s levels, it’s just frustrating not knowing whether they will vanish or attack you.

Game also feeling very bloated. All story details more or less given at the half way point, but it plods on.

Graphics (on console) are not that great (either mode).

The ‘plot’ mechanic for Wake is just awful and pretty much trial and error.

If they had cut it in half, I would have finished it happy. Definitely outstays it’s welcome.

Having said that, I’ve enjoyed it overall. Some levels are just plain out creepy - coffee world and the nursery home in particular! Fantastic stuff.

CGNoire

Yep. About 4-5 hours in and shit is a Borefest. AW1 had not only a far more interesting Story but also vastly superior gameplay aswell. Why should I care about anything thats happening in this?

It really feels like Sam Lake's Death Stranding. Like somebody reign this guy in please.

It sucks cause Remedy has always been my favorite dev.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I loved everything about it, except for the gameplay. Kinda odd for a game. Maybe it would have been better off as a live action one season show.

but in games like AW2, I just cant grasp how people love games like this.

Let me explain why I loved it:

pros:
- Narrow fov, makes it difficulty to see especially when panning camera, which creates a feeling of claustrophobia which totally suits the game
- Combat is either awesome in Saga or fantastic in Alan, Aw1 one wasn't great and had a meh crowd control with light mechanic, but this one is much improved!
- Story is incredible and not full of filler lines, but awesome stuff of likes of "darkness is everywhere, inside me, yet there is light"
- Broadly speaking I had a very good idea what is going on with story and why should I care at all
- Board was pretty inventive, sometimes even preventing picking up items before the character knew what to look for. Nice touch.
- Slow reloading shotgun and reloads in general, which made me sit on the edge of my seat during combat
- Some bosses have attacks that were hard to avoid, but there was a way and you just had to find out and be creative
- Musical was another exercise in incredible story telling and a nice break from the seriousness
- Sure its flashy and on top of that lots of items have physics and can be interacted with, this must be what some gamers love!
- upgrading really make sense in a game like this
- Dodge in aw1 was smooth, this is more realistic and a far better mechanic
- Successful dodges are satisfying, no need for slow down. by the way the instance dodge in Dark souls also feels great
- Run in this game is slower than many games half stick lean in some games, which makes perfect sense in a survival horror title
- Shadow enemies sucked me right into the game, you never knew when some of them would attack you!
- In a Hotel everything often looks the same, which they captured beautifully
- Cut scenes replaced by shadows delivering dialog. I don't even know what this means, but I love it!
- Cant pick up from containers without angling yourself correctly was a nice touch. You had to see what you grab from it.
- Checkpoints weren't too long.
- The assigning items to the DPAD was easy and fluid
- I never had to check were to even go from guide in chapter "out in the night", such a great job they did with the map system and ingame directions.

cons:
- Setting in bright falls. I mean, it's a town, nothing special. Still pretty good now that I think of it. Let's add this to PROS as well.

J3nga

Game has everything but good gameplay, I still don't regret playing/buying it, would recommend getting it at a discount. Tried replaying "The final draft" but dropped it as the gameplay 2nd time was unbearable chore to me.

VitoNotVito

He lost me at "Combat is either boring in Saga or frustrating in Alan"
Dude was expecting this to be a God of War or Devil May Cry kind of game...

VitoNotVito

This game is constantly on the higher positions of sold games on PSN. Is it really not selling?
It sold well in October (even though it launched at the end of the month) and in November but people use weird arguments to justify their "feelings":
They did mess up though not releasing the physical version.

Hugare

I enjoyed it, but the first game is much, much better in a lot of (really important) ways

First game felt more open, Bright Falls was bigger, gameplay was more engaging and story flowed better

Second one was a huge downgrade but its still a pretty good game. Says a lot about the potential of this franchise.

welshrat

I played the first on PS5 thinking to buy the second when done, found out it was digital only, and after finishing the first didn't really care. Had it been physical I could have bought it and sold it on. Oh well.

Senua

My second fav game of the year behind BG3. They took the world of AW and created a survival horror masterpiece. The Twin peaks and True Detective tones are throughout and it nails that gritty, otherworldly vibe. Gameplay isn't the greatest mind you but the atmosphere more than kept me enthralled. Not to mention the game is fucking stunning on PC. Remedy don't miss

Hohenheim

Forced myself to play so far, waste of time ,but I had dropped so many games this year so I really wanted to give this a chance.
I didn't bother reading all your cons, as its not really relevant for me, but yeah - drop it like it's hot.
You should never "force" yourself to play a video game.
Alan Wake 2 was my favourite game in 2023, and has received lots of well deserved praise -but it's obviously not for everyone (no game is).
You write that you have dropped lots of games lately.. maybe take a break from gaming for a while? This stuff is supposed to be fun, not something to force yourself through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom