• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ape Escape (PS1, 1999)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Considering I spent most of my childhood playing PS1 platformers like Crash, Spyro, Croc, Toy Story 2, etc, etc, it's kinda crazy I never touched Ape Escape. I saw it in magazines, but it just wasn't big where I grew up in England - nobody I knew owned it and I never got my hands on a copy. Having got a 7 day free PS+ trial recently to play Stray I saw it on Sony's wimpy PS1 back catalogue and thought I'd make the most of my $0 sub.

It holds up surprisingly well for a 5th gen 3D platformer! The levels are good, the gadgets are good, smacking a monkey with a net feels great every single time. It makes remarkable use of the right analogue stick and L3/R3 in a way that I just didn't realise PS1 ever did - obviously, it came right at the end of PS1's life cycle and it shows in just how far removed it is from some earlier games on the system. The voice acting in the English version may well be the absolute worst in any video game I've ever played which to me is a huge bonus. We're talking worse than RE1. It's incredible.

So, is Ape Escape 2 on PS2 more of the same on better hardware? Because that's on PS+ as well and that idea sounds great to me, so I'll probably go check that out while I still have days left. Really pleasantly surprised with this one. Also, the OST has no right going as hard as it does.

I did the same as you OP - played most, if not all, of the PSX platforms EXCEPT Ape Escape.

I think much like in Europe, it just wasn't marketed like the others here in the US either so it was perceived as a budget release with no developer / publisher pedigree.

Reactions: Isa

Naked Lunch

This was the most 'Nintendo' Sony ever got.
An absolute joy to play with many cool ideas - like paddling a boat with both analog sticks.
The game was just flat out fun.

Last edited:

emivita

I played most of the platformer games on PS1, even the less known ones like 40 Winks or Pandemonium, and Ape Escape is probably my favourite. It reminds me of my childhood in a special way, and of those Sundays chilling out with cartoons and games. And OST has that nostalgic feel, these are my favourites:

Ape Escape 2 and 3 are great too, just not like the first one. 3 is the best one on PS2, in my opinion.

Belthazar

It was very creative with how it used the second analog stick and yes, 2 is basically more of the same (but much more polished)

Shifty

Fantastic game. I was super jealous of my buddy having this on his PS1 back in the day.

I love love love how much personality they put into each ape, and the unique trickery you have to pull off to catch some of them.

The PSP version is okayish also. Pretty, but RIP to the series-defining control gimmick.

Better than Mario 64. Classic.
830317.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Bakkus

Decent game. A bit rough by today's standards though, but still held up much better than most games from that period.

teezzy

Banned
I played most of the platformer games on PS1, even the less known ones like 40 Winks or Pandemonium, and Ape Escape is probably my favourite. It reminds me of my childhood in a special way, and of those Sundays chilling out with cartoons and games. And OST has that nostalgic feel, these are my favourites:

Ape Escape 2 and 3 are great too, just not like the first one. 3 is the best one on PS2, in my opinion.

I love all three games. It was the PSP spin off titles which were super eeehhhh

Series peaked with 2 though for me. Sooo much fun. In my top 10 all time games

mortal

Gold Member
One of my favorite adventure/platformer titles of all time.

Awesome soundtrack for sure, Soichi Terada da GOAT. 90's games really had some fantastic Drum n Bass and Jungle Beat inspired soundtracks.

Ape Escape 2 is unplayable on Ps5. It's so annoyingly bugged. Get ready to have a seizure trying to play it. Flickering bright flashes of white lines and geometry constantly. Actually reminds me of AC Syndicate on ps5.

SkylineRKR

Ape Escape is a classic. I have the original on PS5 via Premium and still play it on and off. It takes getting used to the dated controls but the atmosphere, music etc is perfect. Its an incredible game and at the time it was mind blowing even.

Ape Escape 3 is nowhere to be found on modern systems. I get it has Metal Gear stuff, but it should be possible to simply remove it or they need some agreement of sorts.

Ape Escape 2 is unplayable on Ps5. It's so annoyingly bugged. Get ready to have a seizure trying to play it. Flickering bright flashes of white lines and geometry constantly. Actually reminds me of AC Syndicate on ps5.

Sadly yes. I noticed its kind of better than when I tried it at launch but still annoying. A shame, because on PS4 this played perfectly.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sadly yes. I noticed its kind of better than when I tried it at launch but still annoying. A shame, because on PS4 this played perfectly.

Assuming such a version exists, is this the same for the PS4 version on PS5? I only ask because I noticed I downloaded two versions of the first game so assumed it might be the same for the sequel. Haven't tried myself.

emivita

Team Asobi would be a nice fit for a new Ape Escape, but I'm not holding my breath. They are probably developing a new Astrobot VR, which is eeh (not the game, just the VR part of it). Sony silently threw this and many other IPs in the bin.

SkylineRKR

Assuming such a version exists, is this the same for the PS4 version on PS5? I only ask because I noticed I downloaded two versions of the first game so assumed it might be the same for the sequel. Haven't tried myself.

I think the Premium version was less buggy than the one I already had stored, but still buggy. Ape Escape 2 has flickering and other graphics inconsistencies on PS5. It does play, but its amateur hour to offer it like this.

Top Bottom