• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Call of Duty: Vanguard (2021) PS5 Digital Edition

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
They-filter-the-first-official-image-of-the-new-Call.jpg

Call of Duty: Vanguard

First of all the call of duty franchise has been wrestled into the ground since it's first release in 2004, there's been 19 games in the series since.

call-of-duty-vangaurd-menu.jpg

Because Modern Warfare did so well, every Call of Duty since has been mashed together in one menu instead of a traditional game bootup for quick and easy game changing. Wow.

What the campaign tries to do is make as many points as possible, have an African American character, have a female character, mention Hitler as less as possible, and show the "secrets" (Project Phoenix) of the war.

I think anyone would like to develop a COD game, it's a fantastic, historical franchise that's been a big part of gaming. We've seen what Sledgehammer has been able to do (2017) and they answered the call again for COD.

SledgehammerGamesLogo-610.png

Vanguard has nine missions across four fronts of WW2 (pacific front, western front, eastern and North Africa) with a focus on individual characters. It's another one of those attempts to show good guys getting captured, inside Nazi headquarters, and building a fight against the final fight for the people.

If you want a healthy, challenging straight forward shooter this is the game, it's not about creative weapons, open world, finding quests.

The characters (Arthur Kingsley, Polina Petrova, Wade Jackson and Lucas Riggs) are all developed characters but lean heavily on being the female gender, or the rebellious Australian, or the African American British man I don't know if this was intentional but its typical woke narrative but bottom line is it's a FPS campaign that leans heavily on gunplay, quality cutscenes, and 6-7 hours of gameplay.

VGD-Campaign-Bios-TOUT.jpg

A lot of characters for one campaign.

The multiplayer is about doing just enough to pass the test, being a necessary component of Call of Duty for years it kinda feels like Vanguard's multiplayer was left off the hook, and uninspired. Nothing is shook up, we're talking about leveling up weapons, ranks, getting attachments, completing challenges (get 10 headshots) and playing on map designs that has you locking up flanks, storming alleyways or camping in a room that matters.

Call of Duty Vanguard comes with 16 maps at launch, maps like Sub Pens (reminiscent of the three-lane competitive maps of Call of Duty), Castle (one of the best maps from Call of Duty World at War), and Eagle's Nest (designed for classic 6 v 6, cqc but also other playstyles like sniper, or finding hiding spots)

Vanguard-Maps-Eagles-Nest.jpeg

Eagles Nest

vanguard-zombies-main-quest-easter-egg.jpg

Zombies are back, a staple of the Call of Duty franchise, it forces you in tight positions battling undead soldiers and honestly could be it's own game.

Do I think this is the best Call of Duty game? Honestly it averages 13.6K viewers on Twitch and in the end Call of Duty is a 20 million sales game, massive military shooter that has been torched by fans in the past for using jet packs, things like changing to future warfare, perks not showing up in new games, but what COD does well is present quality mechanics that has you going back to an era of gruesome warfare. I give the game a 8/10, the same score as Black Ops Cold War.

recursive

Fuck this game.

Aim assist is more like an aim bot tracking players through walls on controller. No skill required. Just pull up left trigger and fire. The game will do the aiming for you. Fucking ridiculous.
Let me see some vids of you slamming noobs with the controller aim assist.

Justin9mm

Can someone tell me if the campaign was at least decent.. I sort of heard it was.. I had already played the MP beta and then the full MP free weekend they gave on my PS5 and it was shite!

Is this a LTTP or a review? Anyway as a massive COD fan, I think Vanguard is absolute dogshit. I was lucky to get a free review copy but this is at best a 6/10 COD.

Justin9mm Justin9mm

No! Its barely 5 hours long, nothing special about it, all already seen in past games, boring.

nemiroff

Gold Member
After Cold War's fantastic zombies mode and pretty good campaign Vanguard is a massive vacuum. Depressive and really really sloppy. I don't care much for the mp implementation, modes, maps, equipment and operators either. The UI sucks and its full of unexplainable bugs and shortcomings. I wasn't expecting much from Vanguard but the whole thing is almost shockingly shoddy to me.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Can someone tell me if the campaign was at least decent.. I sort of heard it was.. I had already played the MP beta and then the full MP free weekend they gave on my PS5 and it was shite!

No the campaign isn't worth your time. Now, I think no single CoD campaign is really worth it though IW was decent, but Vanguard has nothing memorable and doesn't give a WW2 atmosphere at all. There are some fun moments, but its been done before and better in the WW2 landscape. CoD2 and WaW for example.

Certinty

Honestly, I enjoyed the campaign a lot. Characters were likeable, the mission variety was nice and it looked great visually, not sure what else people want in a shooter campaign? The story did suck though.

Best FPS campaign I've played in quite some time actually, playing Halo Infinite's right after was such a disappointment.

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
Vanguard has the worst CoD Campain i ever played.....is short and it has so much shit and bad story telling in WW2 History.
CoD WWII has much more Atmosphere, Story and better presention as WW2 Shooter.

But for me is the best CoD Campain Modern Warfare Reboot, Black Ops 1 with Cold War

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Fuck this game.

Aim assist is more like an aim bot tracking players through walls on controller. No skill required. Just pull up left trigger and fire. The game will do the aiming for you. Fucking ridiculous.
Rly or hyperbole??? Anyway, shhhhh! Don't ruin the fun for players that think they are badass at aiming...

Justin9mm

Honestly, I enjoyed the campaign a lot. Characters were likeable, the mission variety was nice and it looked great visually, not sure what else people want in a shooter campaign? The story did suck though.

Best FPS campaign I've played in quite some time actually, playing Halo Infinite's right after was such a disappointment.
Really? I thought Infinite's campaign gameplay was amazeballs, it's a lot of fun. It falls flat in many other areas but the gun/gameplay itself was not one of them imo.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Fuck this game.

And on the flip side there seems to be some sort of bot protection in this game causing players to miss bad players as I have seen this discussed several times.

And on the flip side there seems to be some sort of bot protection in this game causing players to miss bad players as I have seen this discussed several times.

Jesus

And people are willing to pay full price for this piece of shit game?! Nothing in Call Of Duty is based on skill anymore. Its now ruled by systems designed to even the playing field for low skilled players and make the game more accessible to controller players.

Just going through that reddit post and reading the comments. This shit is crazy. I'll never buy Vanguard or any COD game again.

Rly or hyperbole??? Anyway, shhhhh! Don't ruin the fun for players that think they are badass at aiming...
Tons of people on youtube pointing out the aim assist in Vanguard and how fucking strong it is.
There's no hyperbole here. Look for yourself.

It's strong even in Cold War but its gotten ridiculous in Vanguard. I'm not for developers dumbing games down to such a level that toddlers can play it and get 100+ kills and think they're bad ass. That's what this franchise has become.

Top Bottom