• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII | Playing Before It's Non-Canon

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
With the Remake coming out soon I decided I'd finally dig into Crisis Core which originally released (and only released) on the PSP. I played maybe the first hour-ish of this game when it first released but got busy with other life-stuff at the time and never finished it. I'm seeking to rectify that.

220px-Crisis_Core.png

The game was never released digitally. So I ripped my PSP UMD copy and loaded it up on my v1 OLED Vita.

1p0MsTs.png

So far, I'm enjoying the game a lot more than I remember. It's possible that it's because the Vita screen looks a lot nicer and is much bigger - seems like I had a hard time seeing the elements on the smaller PSP screen. I also remember the UMD load times were pretty terrible (it took a LOOONG time to rip this too) so maybe having it load off my fast SD card helps too.

A few questions though: Is leveling up in this game actually random? Same with leveling up materia? Does the DMW ever make sense? Am I wasting my time since they already said this game will be non-canon once the remake releases? Otherwise, really digging this game.

Does anyone else here plan on playing (or replaying) this before Remake?

Rodolink

I love this game, I completed it on my trip to Japan, it brings so good memories.
I didn't know they're saying this will become non canon. Now I'm more interested in getting the remake.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It was announced back in 2017

I assume it's still true as we haven't heard anything to the contrary since
Makes sense because "it will be different from the original Final Fantasy VII ".
Story wise the Remake won't be canon with FFVII original... so it makes all related games events not canon with the Remake.

Maybe we need to think in a different way:

FFVII and related games = Canon story
Remake = Alternative story, non-canon

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Makes sense because "it will be different from the original Final Fantasy VII ".
Story wise the Remake won't be canon with FFVII original.
As long as there is no Genesis in this remake then I'm happy.

FranXico

Story wise the Remake won't be canon with FFVII original... so it makes all related games events not canon with the Remake.

Maybe we need to think in a different way:

FFVII and related games = Canon story
Remake = Alternative story, non-canon
Are you telling us that there's a chance...
... that Aerith won't die??!

jshackles

You had a Core - Bore pun just ripe for the picking and you let it slide. You. Let. It. Slide.
Are you saying the game is boring? That hasn't been my experience with it thus far.

jshackles

Psajdak

Banned
Why do people still hide in spoilers that Aerith dies?
Everyone, and their aunts know that Aerith dies because Sephiroth stabs her with his big fucking Chinese sword.

- Anyway, personally, I do believe that in remake she most likely will survive, or there will be canon option, or quest where she can be saved (similar to Meryl torture thing in MGS), because both of her popularity, as well the fact that living characters can contribute more than dead ones.
Or they simply storywise revive her, because I firmly believe that this remake's story will be a lot different, and changed than we expect.

It can also be that she dies forever again, but, IMO, unlikely.

kingbean

Why do people still hide in spoilers that Aerith dies?
Everyone, and their aunts know that Aerith dies because Sephiroth stabs her with his big fucking Chinese sword.

- Anyway, personally, I do believe that in remake she most likely will survive, or there will be canon option, or quest where she can be saved (similar to Meryl torture thing in MGS), because both of her popularity, as well the fact that living characters can contribute more than dead ones.
Or they simply storywise revive her, because I firmly believe that this remake's story will be a lot different, and changed than we expect.

It can also be that she dies forever again, but, IMO, unlikely.

I really feel like you're just trying to trigger people with this post and it's very uncalled for.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Everyone knows Sephiroths sword isn't Chinese, it's North Korean.

Reactions: Dis

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Have you played Dirge of Cerberus? I'm the only person in existence that really likes that game.

ethomaz

Banned
They will realize they have an inventory full of Phoenix Downs
I believe in previous games they showed that Phoenix Downs can’t revive every type of “death”... in fact it can revive when you are badly injured near death but not when you actually died.

Locke for example used tons of Phoenis Down in his wife without success. You need a powerful miracle magic to really revive something that died.

BTW Phoenix Down description.

“The billowy plumage of the fledgling Phoenix─a legendary bird that, upon each fiery death, is said to rise from its own ashes in a literal "blaze of glory." When placed upon the body of one who is incapacitated, it will instantly revive the person. While some cultures insist that the tailfeather's restorative properties trump those of down, these claims have yet to be proven in any sort of scientific capacity.”

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I believe in previous games they showed that Phoenix Downs can’t revive every type of “death”... in fact it can revive when you are badly injured near death but not when you actually died.

Locke for example used tons of Phoenis Down in his wife without success. You need a powerful miracle magic to really revive something that died.

BTW Phoenix Down description.

“The billowy plumage of the fledgling Phoenix─a legendary bird that, upon each fiery death, is said to rise from its own ashes in a literal "blaze of glory." When placed upon the body of one who is incapacitated, it will instantly revive the person. While some cultures insist that the tailfeather's restorative properties trump those of down, these claims have yet to be proven in any sort of scientific capacity.”
Well I guess you can look at official lore, but in this game you also get hit with a solar system-destroying supernova and take only minor damage, so.....

I think a better scapegoat for her truly dying would have been Sephi stabbing her and tossing her into the lifestream himself where she just sinks down. That way there's no way to use the phoenix down since you don't have the body.

ethomaz

Banned
Well I guess you can look at official lore, but in this game you also get hit with a solar system-destroying supernova and take only minor damage, so.....

I think a better scapegoat for her truly dying would have been Sephi stabbing her and tossing her into the lifestream himself where she just sinks down. That way there's no way to use the phoenix down since you don't have the body.
Well in most cases I believe gameplay mechanics have liberalized options for the fun.

You know the whole plot and adventure of FFVII take 1 month and 12 days from destroying the first reactor in Midgar to killing Sephiroth and Jenova.

The level up to become stronger is just a gameplay mechanic... the characters are already at their peak physically when they meet each other... the story wise just make them find the answers in that month to become stronger mentally like determined.

Now materia is part of the plot/story you can only use the magic if you find the materia with that magic but story wise there is very few rare materia you find and use in the story... now gameplay mechanics you can have all of them and use anytime.

Last edited:

jshackles

Played for another hour today on my lunch break. Taking my time with this and doing any of the missions that come up that aren't labeled as "very hard" (I'm guessing this is based on my character level?). I leveled up a few times today and got a few of my materia leveled up as well - it still seems to be pretty random, but also seems to be happening at regular intervals so no complaints there so far. Nothing has been able to outright defeat me just yet but a few of the bosses have gotten close / I've been saved by the skin of my teeth with a random "Endure" effect or "No MP cost" which let me spam my cure spell. I've been practicing my dodge timing and that seems to be a life-saver in the right circumstances.

I just finished the mission where I went to Genesis and Angeal's home town. I think it's in the middle of that mission that I gave up before for real life reasons. So now I'm farther than I got previously. Still having a blast with the game.

blackjon24

So weird how square can’t see that many would love a way to play this game on modern systems it would be easy cash for them

jshackles

So weird how square can’t see that many would love a way to play this game on modern systems it would be easy cash for them
The fact that I had to rummage out my PSP disc, charge up my original PSP (not the Go!), run homebrew on that to rip the disc to a file, copy that file to my PC, have homebrew loaded on my Vita, install Adrenaline, copy my ripped ISO to my Vita memory card, all just so I could play the game on a slightly larger screen with better controls (the analog controls on the PSP were terribad) speaks volumes. I consider my time to be (somewhat) valuable, so if I could have tossed them $30 for a copy of the game that ran natively on the Vita I would have done so in a heartbeat - even though I already own the disc.

Sometimes a game doesn't have up be critically acclaimed for you to enjoy it. I was young when I played it so I didn't have much of a reference point for good or bad elements in a video game or was influenced by critical opinion on the Internet.

I was massive FFVII fan so I loved the game & have many happy memories of playing this.

Also, Ishimoto's beautiful soundtrack is the reason why I learned to play guitar.

jshackles

Made it a bit farther today, up to the point where Zack meets Aerith. I've also been going crazy on the "Missions" submenu and have been customizing my loadout of materia and accessories to great effect. I have like 22% of the missions complete, and I've got a lot of really good items and stuff from doing those. They're a little boring compared to the rest of the game but the rewards seem well worthwhile.

I am also level 22 now, so I'm guessing I'm more or less where I'm supposed to be? It's hard to gauge with this game, but most of the normal monsters have been a bit of a cakewalk so far.

As MafiaMurderBag MafiaMurderBag said, the music in this game is absolutely incredible.

jshackles

At the 14 hour mark now, and finally got Zack leveled up to lvl30. It's soooo easy to get lost in the missions menu of this game. I'm playing it in basically 1 hour intervals (lunch breaks) so I look up and before I know it the hour has passed but I've leveled up a few times and got some great items. I'm absolutely destroying everything in the main quest.

I figure I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the game? I figure I've got another 6-8 hours on it at least.

GymWolf

Bought the game on psp, tried the combat system for 30 min, never played again...

I heard good things about the game, especially the story, but the combat was definitively not for me.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Are you saying the game is boring? That hasn't been my experience with it thus far.

Do you not know how to Internet? If something is loved, you call it boring because that will upset a lot of people. And, ultimately, isn't that the main goal of using the Internet?

jshackles

Bought the game on psp, tried the combat system for 30 min, never played again...
Are you planning on getting the Final Fantasy VII remake? I found the combat in the demo to be really similar to Crisis Core.

GymWolf

Are you planning on getting the Final Fantasy VII remake? I found the combat in the demo to be really similar to Crisis Core.
Ff7 is my second favourite game ever, of course i'm gonna play the greedy as fuck remake.
I only tried 10 min of the demo and fought a couple of minions but it looked more fast paced and modern than crisis core (also no fucking roulette thing), sometimes perception is the most important thing.

Not saying that i'm gonna love the combat in ff7 remake, the camera for example was fucking horrible :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

I've said it a bunch of times, but FF7 Remake is a sequel to Crisis Core more than anything else, in the literal sense of the term. The story is after, the mechanics and game structure are similar, etc.

Last edited:

jshackles

I've said it a bunch of times, but FF7 Remake is a sequel to Crisis Core more than anything else, in the literal sense of the term. The story is after, the mechanics and game structure are similar, etc.
I'm getting that same vibe, which I suspected from the start and is one of the reasons I started playing this before Remake came out.

Fret Runner

Crisis Core is in the same boat I put FF8 in.
I love it and replay it every now and again, but can fully get why someone would hate it.

The grating "activating combat mode" and "Modulating phase" make me grind my teeth and genesis is best left forgotten with his memory to be pissed on weekly.

Take those three things out, while scaling back the hippy dippy Angeal stuff and glorifying the Buster sword and I would be happy.

Hope the Remake gives us a abridged/slightly more gritty version of zack's story. Less "I'm gonna be a hero and get my wings! bubbly personality"and more of him just be a Soldier First class grunt who eventually gets dunked on by Sephiroth and tossed aside etc. Still, that being said, I still love the ending of Crisis Core for all it's fucking over the top goofy cheeseballness and really hope Zack gets his own section in the remake. Which would probably be sold as DLC, annoyingly.

Caffeine

It's been some time since I played it. I do have it backed up to the psp go. Been meaning to go back to it at some point however i'm in no hurry, since remake will take forever to appear on pc. I remember not liking some aspects of the combat.

jshackles

Finished the game today, took me 19 hours to finish. The ending of the game was an absolute blast and that hour is probably my favorite hour of gaming I've had all year.

This game was such a treat, if you're like me and were pretty "meh" on it originally I'd definitely recommend giving it a second shot.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this is a fun game! it's funny, playing through the remaster made me think of this game. this is the first time they tried doing explorable 3D versions of Midgar, so you can think of it as a proto or prequel to FFVIIR.

Top Bottom