• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Crisis Core: Reunion

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Never played much of the original for PSP. Just a little. Heard great things about Reunion. People talking about how good it was.

I'm a few hours in and I have to say I'm unimpressed overall. It's not bad, it's just very average. First, to the game's credit, it's far more than just a remaster, it's very much a remake. Graphics are a complete overhaul. Despite the hype, I didn't go in with huge expectations, so I'm not all that disappointed. I knew coming from a PSP game, it wasn't going to be that elaborate. So far it's basically just a collection of quests in small linear areas. The combat is actually pretty decent, but the one thing that has been annoying me most are the random battles. For some reason I thought this game was a "see enemies on the field" type of RPG, but it isn't, And whenever I want to explore one of the side corridors, if I use sprint to get there faster... holy fuck man. A new battle literally like every 2 seconds. It's intolerable.

The voice acting is pretty bad, but that was to be expected, don't really care about it much. I like the materia system. One thing I dislike about it though is how you can't swap your sets in combat. That's lame. It would give so many more options during combat and allow easier mastering. Sometimes I'm browsing my equipment, forget to scroll back over to my favorite set and go into a boss battle with the wrong set equipped and there's nothing I can do about it. Thankfully it's not very difficult, but still annoying.

Best things about it are the combat(excluding the annoying random battles) and the materia mastering.

Right now leaning toward sticking with it unless the random battles become too much for my patience.

Curious what everyone here thought of it. Also, hopefully it doesn't take too long to grind and master all the materia in this.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I enjoyed it, but it's very much a handheld game from its time in terms of its design. I really appreciated the mission system for its easy to digest chunks of dungeon crawling. In a world where everything feels so samey I enjoyed playing something slightly different. The story fucking sucks, but has some really powerful moments too which are worth experiencing for sure.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Right now leaning toward sticking with it unless the random battles become too much for my patience.
You can actually entirely avoid random battles by running in the corner of the map that enemy usually appear.

I enjoyed the game but no matter how much they improved the graphics, the core design is made with PSP's limitation in mind, this is why I consider this game as remaster rather than remake.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

The game is way too linear, no exploration, no dungeon, the mechanic is unimpressive even for its time, there are far better RPGs or Action games even on original PSP

Last edited:

RaduN

Well, it does have (one of) the absolute best endings ever made, so it's totally worth it to go through the game just for that.
But really, it's fun and quite addictive once it clicks.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The game is way too linear, no exploration, no dungeon, the mechanic is unimpressive even for its time, there are far better RPGs or Action games even on original PSP

I think CC OG's big appeal at the time of release was in it's visuals, cutscenes, art direction and the fact that, for a time, it was the best looking playable experience for the world of FFVII.

And I suppose you could argue the semantics of what constitutes a dungeon. The Great Cave of Wonders, the Cage of Binding, the Banora Mines, interior portions of Modeoheim, I'd argue they could all be considered dungeons, depending on which rubric you use to judge.

The treasures were always lame and out in the open, but adding a treasure counter per mission kind of hand held the Last vestiges of exploration away. Same with sidequests/sub events being labeled on the map. It's cool, and contemporary design, but it's fixing issues that weren't present in the original, because the original understood that it was a small sandbox that changes in minor ways as the game progresses. Way points and distance trackers and shit are no duh game design philosophies, but they're incorporated with the idea that the game they're supporting is large enough to warrant their inclusion. This wasn't. But alas

The quality is relative based on your familiarity with PSP-quality.

Overall it’s a 7-8 game and at least not a complete embarrassment like DOC is.

Absolutely hated the original.

Remaster is IMO a good game, but the story itself is super short. Writing is subpar but has some enjoyable parts when not involving Genesis.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I enjoyed the PSP so I knew what to expect, the exact same experience just slicker to play and visually.

So I enjoyed it as a trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I was a little perplexed by the faint hype surrounding this "remake." Even at the time of the original release, it was just okay. Game was bested by Type-0 and 3rd Birthday, and those don't get much hype at all despite being a lot better. The port is cool since PSP is hard to play today, but it should be viewed as a nostalgia trip mostly. PSP levels are very small with a lot of load screens.

I think it's a fun game for what it is - I really enjoyed the combat and the QOL changes were nice to have and made the game feel even better. Yeah, the plot and all that sucks, but eh.

Top Bottom