• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Cyberpunk 2077 ----- NeoGaf, I was wrong about this game.

Did you like it after playing it yourself?

• Total voters
This one comes as a cautionary tale to not always follow along with the bandwagon of hate that oft surrounds prominent AAA games in the gaming industry. You all know the controversy surrounding this game's launch, and I'm ready to admit I let the anti-hype concerning Cyberpunk push me away from giving this one a shot.

Fast-forward to more recently, when I picked the game up for a ridiculously cheap price on PSN and fired it up on my PS5 to see if it was any good.

Holy Smoley!!! The game is fucking LIT!!!!

I know there was a lot of noise made about the bugs in the game but despite that, the game is amazing. Top tier in every way. Sure the game is still rife with bugs. Plenty of times I had to reload a save because a trigger for a quest progression bugged out and got stuck. But yeah, if you've played through any Bethesda game, you're absolutely used to this kind of bugginess and even worse.

Everything from the gunplay, to the driving, to the upgrade system, to the quest and side-quests was actually very high quality. I recall criticisms by reviewers about a lack of police chases in the game and having played it now, I fully understand how BS that criticism is, considering the game feels far more like a Fallout-type game than a GTA-type game. Police chases, while a fun distraction would have created a lot of player frustration; e.g. when you accidentally hit a pedestrian while driving to the next quest checkpoint.

All in all, I fucking loved CP2077 and I want more! Looking forward to the upcoming major DLC expansion.

CD Project RED is alright in my book. If they can make something this compelling against such a storied, ridiculously rushed schedule then I fear the heights they'll achieve with solid studio management.

What say ye, Gaf?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Bugs aside it's still a jack of all trades. It's trying to do too many things at once, it's trying to be an RPG, but also GTA, but also an FPS, and it doesn't really excel at any of them in the end. Everything is just okay.

The world, characters and (some) story are where it really shines. I put a good 50 hours in at launch (PC with a 3070, very few bugs in the grand scheme of things) and had a good time with it.

Kupfer

Played it from day 1 and without all the QoL patches on PS5 and had to deal with massive crashes and sometimes questbreaking bugs.
Nevertheless, it has drawn me so into its spell that I have played through it in this state and had my fun with it.
Now I have not touched it since then and I'm really looking forward to a new playthrough with Phantom Liberty.

Not voting though, "It was fucking lit!!!!!" would be too positive, the rest is too negative.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Played it for a bit recently and didn't feel it. I might give it another chance in a few years.

it's a fun game. yeah they fucked up last gen versions and like any other game there were bugs. the hate the game got was overblown and of course it became cool to shit on it.

i'm glad CDPR are sticking by it and proving people wrong and make them eat their words. Cyberpunk is a great game and i can't wait for the expansion. It's a shame we're only getting 1 now. The game deserves so much better. At least we know we're getting a sequel.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Technical issues aside, it pales in comparison to TW3 and continues to be a very flawed game. That said, I think it's still a decent game.

Trunim

I thought the writing was way worse than Witcher 3. It felt like every character talked like they were a "cool" 14 year old.

drganon

I really enjoyed it when I played it recently. I played it after the 1.5 patch on ps5 so I didn't experience much in the way of bugs and crashes. Looking forward to the expansion coming out later.

-Zelda-

Banned
Was that Jacket from Edgerunners the only clothing added to the game? I have not watched it yet, but I hope it gets a blue ray release. That CGI Resident Evil with Leon and Claire did, so I hope this does as well.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont trust reviewers. Havent since the Destiny debacle. I buy games like Andromeda, Anthem, and MG Survive on Day one.

So i went out and bought Cyberpunk day one. Biggest let down in years. Its been over two years now. It's basically a benchmark machine. The shooting is mediocre. The missions are boring. The first person cutscenes reek of euro trash low budget indie stuff. A big downgrade over the incredible Witcher 3 storytelling. But its the gameplay that just feels serviceable at best, janky PC indie trash at worst. Fallout had better shooting than this.

The world design, and the visuals are the best thing about the game. It is a gorgeous city that feels like a real futuristic city. Its just hilarious that there is nothing to do in it. Witcher 3 had more stuff to do and its set in a vast barren open world.

Witcher 3 didnt click with me at first. I trashed it for a good year on gaf. Then went back to it after it got a Pro patch, and this time loved it. I have been going back to cyberpunk every few months hoping for a similar I GET IT NOW moment, but thats yet to come. Doesnt help that everyone in the story is extremely unlikeable. First person storytelling is the most retarded way of telling a story.

I went back to it when they dropped the ps5 update that brought in 60fps and it felt great.

It's definitely an underrated experience, I just feel like there's something not quite right with Night City.

It doesn't feel alive in the way Los Santos does, or Novigrad in The Witcher 3.

Last edited:
I dont trust reviewers. Havent since the Destiny debacle. I buy games like Andromeda, Anthem, and MG Survive on Day one.

So i went out and bought Cyberpunk day one. Biggest let down in years. Its been over two years now. It's basically a benchmark machine. The shooting is mediocre. The missions are boring. The first person cutscenes reek of euro trash low budget indie stuff. A big downgrade over the incredible Witcher 3 storytelling. But its the gameplay that just feels serviceable at best, janky PC indie trash at worst. Fallout had better shooting than this.

I can understand the criticisms of the shooting mechanics, especially since the accuracy and gunplay feel is heavily tied to the stats, so gets much better later in the game.

But to claim the shooting is worse than Fallout?!? That's a step too far, man.

Fallout games shooting mechanics are borderline unplayable without the VATs system auto-aiming for you. Fallout 76 essentially proved this.

Shooting in Fallout is fucking awful. Shooting in Cyberpunk is serviceable and sometimes even fun, especially with some of the more novel weapons.

The world design, and the visuals are the best thing about the game. It is a gorgeous city that feels like a real futuristic city. Its just hilarious that there is nothing to do in it. Witcher 3 had more stuff to do and its set in a vast barren open world.

Agreed. The world def was the biggest missed opportunity.

You can kinda understand how sparse the world events were given the rushed state of the game. I'm a lot of content CDPR wanted to include got chopped to get the game out the door.

Witcher 3 didnt click with me at first. I trashed it for a good year on gaf. Then went back to it after it got a Pro patch, and this time loved it. I have been going back to cyberpunk every few months hoping for a similar I GET IT NOW moment, but thats yet to come. Doesnt help that everyone in the story is extremely unlikeable. First person storytelling is the most retarded way of telling a story.

I def didn't share this sentiment. I loved Panam, Judy, Rogue and River was great too. Johnny grew on me by the end, and his mate Kerry ended up being awesome after doing his specific side-quests. I think you really need to give a good go and see the game through to the end to see how the characters develop over the course of the story.

Disappointing game even now after all the patches on PS5. Still looks weird, LOD is atrocious, janky controls, janky gameplay, gfx, animations and ai glitches all over the place and the performance is still shit in combat, cant hold 60 at all
Did you find there was a lot of shimmering and inconsistent AA?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I can understand the criticisms of the shooting mechanics, especially since the accuracy and gunplay feel is heavily tied to the stats, so gets much better later in the game.

But to claim the shooting is worse than Fallout?!? That's a step too far, man.

Fallout games shooting mechanics are borderline unplayable without the VATs system auto-aiming for you. Fallout 76 essentially proved this.

Shooting in Fallout is fucking awful. Shooting in Cyberpunk is serviceable and sometimes even fun, especially with some of the more novel weapons.

Agreed. The world def was the biggest missed opportunity.

You can kinda understand how sparse the world events were given the rushed state of the game. I'm a lot of content CDPR wanted to include got chopped to get the game out the door.

I def didn't share this sentiment. I loved Panam, Judy, Rogue and River was great too. Johnny grew on me by the end, and his mate Kerry ended up being awesome after doing his specific side-quests. I think you really need to give a good go and see the game through to the end to see how the characters develop over the course of the story.
Yeah, I only used VAT in my Fallout 4 playthrough. I am sure it sucks as a real shooter though the weapons i was crafting were amazing.

I will give it another shot. I bought a 3080 for this card and like I said, I go back to it every other week but i have no idea who Panam, Judy and Rouge even are. I did a mission for the hot black chick everyone on gaf wants to bang and while it was good to see an attractive woman in a game for once, i felt nothing. The mission didnt feel anything special either.

Aion002

Meh.

I played the trial at launch and hated, played again after the latest patch and ended up enjoying it a little... I might end up buying for 10 usd or less in a sale. Hopefully it will be released on game pass...

Game is disappointing. While bugs is what caused a shitstorm (and it's very good that it did), game itself is far from what was promissed by the dev

I think this is fair and I don't even disagree at all.

But I still have a cracking great time with the game. Just loved it.

I wouldn't score it more than a 7.5/10, but there's no denying that I enjoyed it far more than most 9/10 consensus games.

I'm an absolute sucker for Sci-Fi settings and Cyberpunk in particular, from the 90s animes that I grew up with (e.g. Ghost in the Shell, Bubblegum Crisis, etc etc). This game def felt closest to those cyberpunk animes from the 90s... it was fucking great!

FeastYoEyes

As a console player, when the next gen version hit most of my issues with it went away and it became a modern version of what I would want from a Bethesda style RPG. The conversations are interesting, visually pleasing and the themes are explored deeply and throughout the side missions and main story. I think it's my favorite game this year mainly because it was my first playthrough. Really cannot wait to see what they do with the DLC and the sequel when that eventually comes out.

Yeah, I only used VAT in my Fallout 4 playthrough. I am sure it sucks as a real shooter though the weapons i was crafting were amazing.

I will give it another shot. I bought a 3080 for this card and like I said, I go back to it every other week but i have no idea who Panam, Judy and Rouge even are. I did a mission for the hot black chick everyone on gaf wants to bang and while it was good to see an attractive woman in a game for once, i felt nothing. The mission didnt feel anything special either.

That's Panam.... aka HOT AF cyberpunk waifu!!! She starts off bratty but grows into an amazing character. Shame I failed in my attempt to seduce her in the game.

//DEVIL//

In general. the settings of Cyberpunk world/movies is something I am a sucker for. I love those settings. which made the game so much fun for me to play. the Anime really also helped me to get into the game as well ( only bought the game recently on black Friday after I watched the Anime ).

if the settings were in let's say.. victorian London, I would have probably never touched the game.

Last edited:

Hugare

You had to be there on Day One to know how much of a trainwreck it was

It's hardly a controversial opinion to call it a good game nowadays. But this is after 2 years of patches

Despite finishing it 2 times and playing it for over 150h, I wouldnt call the game great/amazing. It is still missing so many features. Basic stuff.

Will I buy the expansion on day zero, tho? Sure. 'Cause the storytelling is great and there's nothing else like this world in gaming.

But the hate ins entirely justifiable. To this day the game is not what it was promissed.

The driving in the game is pure trash and still is.

Vehicles have very little distinguishing feel to them one from the next.

On the scale from GTA4/5 at the top end, down to Saints Row/Just Cause at the very bottom, I think CP stands much closer to the former than the latter.

The driving physics can use some work. But I categorically disagree that the handling of different vehicles didn't have anything to distinguish them. That's patently untrue.

They maybe weren't distinguishable enough, but that's a little subjective.

Some of the vehicles drove pretty well, where some just couldn't maintain traction at speed; when driving straight or cornering. There was definitely a distinctive feel between them.

I do lament the lack of proper handling physics like oversteer, etc... But the driving wasn't half bad at all, and in some cars/bikes was actually fun.

I don't get this out of nowhere cult of appreciation for this game?

Last time I checked it's gameplay is still jank and didn't live upto what it aimed out to achieve.

Have you actually played it?

If not, that's probably why you don't seem to understand the love the game is now getting after the 2 years of patches its received to rectify the trainwreck it was at launch.

SJRB

Gold Member
Cyberpunk is dope as fuck. The game oozes style and atmosphere.

The city and its structure, layout and density are an incredible achievement. By far the best-realized fictional city I've ever seen in a videogame.

Art design, visual style, atmosphere, presentation, it's all S-tier.

Have you actually played it?

If not, that's probably why you don't seem to understand the love the game is now getting after the 2 years of patches its received to rectify the trainwreck it was at launch.
played it day1 on PC maybe it was all the issues that put a bad taste in the mouth. Since then the games just been meh. Put about 70 hours into the game.

Jump in every time there is a 'Major patch' still kinda just get 'Meh' vibes from the game then just uninstall it again till next patch.

Cyberpunk is dope as fuck. The game oozes style and atmosphere.

The city and its structure, layout and density are an incredible achievement. By far the best-realized fictional city I've ever seen in a videogame.

Art design, visual style, atmosphere, presentation, it's all S-tier.

Agree on all points.

played it day1 on PC maybe it was all the issues that put a bad taste in the mouth. Since then the games just been meh. Put about 70 hours into the game.

Jump in every time there is a 'Major patch' still kinda just get 'Meh' vibes from the game then just uninstall it again till next patch.

I never played it at launch, but hearing how it was such a clusterfuck, I can see how that might have soured you on the experience.

I would still recommend you still try giving it a shot, especially in a quiet gaming period when you're looking for something to play. If you go in with very low expectations, then I reckon by the end you'll have found real enjoyment in the game.

are the AI still lifeless and dumb?

Lol, I won't even lie... absolutely, yes. But it's not a shooter. It's an RPG. Think of the game like Fallout 3. The enemies are no less remedial than the AI in that game, but in Cyberpunk at least they try to take cover behind objects and will sometimes bolt if they see you're destroying their peers.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
These poll options are fucking obnoxious.

I finished Cyberpunk for the first time less than a week ago. I really enjoyed it; very ambitious. Still not "GOTY" level material in my experience but a solid 8-8.5/10 game. It was great and I'm looking forward to the expansion.

It's still quite buggy though, even after 2 years of patches. Lots of weird bugs on my Series X.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Story, writing, characters and world building are definitely tons better than what i usually see in AAA games. I think the game could be better in some areas, but its quite literally a one of a kind.

See, one could definitely criticize things like some of the game systems or how the it could've been more of an actual RPG than a story-driven action adventure title but.... where's the alternative to this? You have to scrap the botton of the barrel if you want a game remotely close.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Always liked the game since launch because i played on pc.

But it is an unbalanced mess even now, i thought that being an hacker was stupidly op before my second run with invisibility, bullet time and wire build or the silenced pistol stealth and headshots route...

Enemies just can't keep up.

Last edited:

Metnut

Game was a blast. Loved all of the wacky side quests. The mayor candidate was a really random and fun questline. My wife walked in right during the Panam seduction scene and now she probably thinks I’m doing something different entirely when I’m gaming. Wild stuff.

Main storyline with Johnny Silverhands was great too and the game has a bunch of different endings that all work. Even the cyber psychos scattered Al over the big city have their own cool lore. Lots of random event mini quests too you find just by walking around.

I can’t speak for how the game as at launch, I was always waiting for the PS5 patch, but I loved my experience with it. Probably spent 200 hours this year on Elden Ring and Cyberpunk alone which was like 75% of my gaming time.

Guilty_AI

Always liked the game since launch because i played on pc.

But it is an unbalanced mess even now, i thought that being an hacker was stupidly op before my second run with invisibility, bullet time and wire build or the silenced pistol stealth and headshots route...

Enemies just can't keep up.
Indeed, i put tons of mods to make the game feel harder. Its a problem i also had with The Witcher 3.

As a matter of fact, i think this is a deliberate design choice by CDPR to make their games casual friendly, because some of the mods i used said the game is actually putting limiters in place that make enemies and bosses easier. Enemies don't shoot guns as frequently as they technically can for example, and Adam Smasher also isn't as ruthless as he can be in the final boss fight.

Last edited:
I never played it at launch, but hearing how it was such a clusterfuck, I can see how that might have soured you on the experience.

I would still recommend you still try giving it a shot, especially in a quiet gaming period when you're looking for something to play. If you go in with very low expectations, then I reckon by the end you'll have found real enjoyment in the game.
Why have they put out another major patch and finished making the product yet?

Top Bottom