• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dark Souls 3 is a triumphant third game

I got stuck on the Ashes DLC boss and haven't revisited it since that attempt. I think it's a fantastic game, I was flying through it no problem until then. I hope to finish it someday just don't have the time right now.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Definitely play Sekiro!

Although it is a diversion in terms of gameplay it is still a From Software game with the same amount of love to everything.

Just be ready to feel like a noob all over again.

tassletine

I felt it like a commercially minded remix or an attempt at one anyway. The gameplay is probably the tightest, but the first third of the game is fairly dull and the game is full of wide corridors.

I know that the formula has to be changed somewhat but I REALLY miss the structure of the first games which was basically (and pretty consistently) -- You are presented with two or three paths. Pick the wrong one and die. It was tense. DS3 is full of open corridors and areas designed for PVP. If that's your bag it's great but it makes the game a lot less worrysome and robs it of some atmosphere. The graphics are excellent in that respect so it somewhat makes up for it.

I really wanted to love it, and I've played it through twice trying to get the thrills that I want, but there's something missing. It feels empty and doesn't reward you with new graphics / enemies / things in the way that the other games do (yes even 2). There was no point that I felt thrilled entering an area. It was more -- Oh a swamp. Urhghhh. A fire swamp. Oh some crumbling ruins. Another castle? Great.... I wasn't expecting that.....

Some of the levels were good and second part of The DLC was excellent though. In the end I came to the conclusion that Miyazaki was bored with the series and was deliberately commenting on it (The Trash heap swirling down the drain, everything being reduced to ash, finding one last person crawling along etc.)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Dark Souls 3 is honestly my favorite of the Dark Souls games. I just love the world. However, those with a PC absolutely need to play it with the Cinders mod. it does so many things that make it better without making it extra difficult. You need to see FightinCowboys walkthroughs of the Cinders mod. Does so many things that make it worth playing that way.

Probably overall my least favorite of the Dark Souls series but it's still fucking amazing. Definitely gonna get another playthrough in sometime soon.

twerkouting

Banned
I really like DS3, but some of the bosses were far to fast for the combat style. They act like Bloodborne bosses with DS slow character movement, which makes the game arbitrarily difficult.
Same. I feel like you don't quite have the tools you need to face the game dominantly. The lock-on dash from BB might've helped.

iorek21

There are some things that I don't really like in DS3, but it's an amazing game overall.

The whole trilogy is, for that matter. Those games do have their ups and downs but depending on the day of the week, any of them can be my favorite. A very consistent trilogy, which is pretty surprising considering how most of the gaming trilogies have a weak link of some kind. People tend to put DS2 as the weak link, but I completely disagree with this, Scholar of the First Sin fixed most of its problems and the DLC is probably the best in the franchise.

41P7w+2sv-L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Check out Mortal Shell
Will do, has the frame rate issues been fixed yet? Last i read was they messed up the resolution patch on PS5

DS3 is the series’ pinnacle. This was well needed after Dark Souls 2 was such a let down.

Combat pace and animations are faster and push for a more aggressive play style. Level design was vastly improved even if world design doesn’t manage to reach the heights of the first game.

I might be in the minority here in this forum, but DS2 was a great sequel to Dark Souls 1. That being said I will say this, DS2 to DS1 wasn't exactly what God of War2(2007) was to God Of War(2005). Still a fantastic sequel nonetheless.

Shubh_C63

I did Sekiro till the double BF GF Ape fight inside the cave. What an absolute marvel of a game.

Though I still prefer Bloodborne. It is easy, farmable for casuals, and sufficiently hard for pros.

I know I will love DS3. Just do not have the courage.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Really don't rate it at all, lack of variety and just following one path for the majority of the game isn't what I'd call a great successor to Dark Souls.

Better than DS2 but doesn't mean much. Only Sekiro and Bloodborne have matched up for quality.

Moonjt9

Dark souls 3 is my comfort food. Any time I just want to sit down and relax and have some fun, I roll a new character.

I don’t know if it’s the best game from last gen, but it’s definitely my most played.

I waffle back and forth on which one is the best in the series, but after a recent playthrough, I’ve come to the conclusion that dark souls 3 is the best. It just plays SO damn good. Never gets old.

I was on my way to the final boss, but accidentally started DLC 2. First boss vanquished and I left to DLC 1.

I really wanted to see the ending already because it's been such a ride and Returnal comes friday. But if the DLC is like Dark Souls 1 them I have to finish them before getting to the final boss.

I'm currently at level 99 so DLC 1 shouldn't be that hard? Right? 😅
I've understood that Ringed City especially has pretty hard bosses.

Dark Souls 3 is such a masterpiece that I'll definitely start new game +.

This is a fuck "From Software-day".
Got pretty frustrated with:

Sister Friede Stage 2 and 3.
Then I tried Demon's Souls Remake new game+ Flamelurker after a pretty long break. Got frustrated and not playing From Software games anymore today

kyussman

Yea,I had a great time with DS3,you could see they took a lot from making Bloodborne into it,but it still felt like a Dark Souls game.I played through the whole thing as a Pyromancer and it was fantastic fun,although it did bite me in the arse in the dlc as I couldn't beat those bosses with my Pyro build and had to summon some help,lol.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I liked 3 a fair bit too. I played through it on PS4 pro. For those on ps5, is it enhanced much? I think the framerate was unlocked on pro but I don't know how close it got to 60. Would love to see a comparison. See, if I should jump in again.

Trogdor1123

This is a fuck "From Software-day".
Got pretty frustrated with:

Sister Friede Stage 2 and 3.
Then I tried Demon's Souls Remake new game+ Flamelurker after a pretty long break. Got frustrated and not playing From Software games anymore today
Sorry to hear that. I always found flame lurker as a decent fight, not too bad. The other one you mentioned though infuriated me. I can't beat it without help.

Skifi28

I liked 3 a fair bit too. I played through it on PS4 pro. For those on ps5, is it enhanced much? I think the framerate was unlocked on pro but I don't know how close it got to 60. Would love to see a comparison. See, if I should jump in again.
On pro it felt horrible, mostly in the 40s. Locked 60 on PS5. Sure, it's still 1080p, but it plays great.

Sorry to hear that. I always found flame lurker as a decent fight, not too bad. The other one you mentioned though infuriated me. I can't beat it without help.
I do find Flamelurker a fantastic boss, but it's pretty hard for a Strength build character.

Dark Souls 3 hasn't had a bad boss in my opinion like Dark Souls' THE BED.
But this dlc one kicked my ass. Well I'll just regroup and kick it's fucking ass!!

Trogdor1123

I do find Flamelurker a fantastic boss, but it's pretty hard for a Strength build character.

Dark Souls 3 hasn't had a bad boss in my opinion like Dark Souls' THE BED.
But this dlc one kicked my ass. Well I'll just regroup and kick it's fucking ass!!
It found that fight to essentially be unfair. I'm just not good enough and don't have the time to grind it out.

kyoji

My nephew had wiped all my save progress when this game first came out of about 30 hours, and i never was able to emotionally re-invest myself back into starting over after getting over the hurt. Fast-forward till now I got the playstation 5, Platinum'd Demon Souls remake, and re-kindled my interest to jump back into DS3. I'm proud to say i got the platinum trophy in DS3 last week :messenger_sunglasses:.

I installed the game again the other day as I miss Dark Souls. I love all three games and was torn which to install. I went with DS3 because I remembered I never actually played the DLC. Apparently I already bought the DLC for it. Don’t remember buying it lol so I was happy about that.

I don’t have my save anymore so need to start over. Guess it’s a positive really!

Some areas I remember but don’t really remember many boss fights. Can’t wait to explore it again. Also, it has a kinda Bloodborne feel to it and I suppose that’s the closest I’m gonna get to playing Bloodborne on PC. Well, I could play it through PS Now but eh that wouldn’t be fun.

Last edited:
I played to coop for the first time in any Souls game and we kicked ass. Now I feel dirty that we killed it so easily as I was struggling with.

Sister Friede

I have to avoid the coop even though it's fun.

Arsic

I think DS3 has the best looking weapons and armor sets, although DeS remake is quite sexy.

That said I think DS3 is the weakest title for me. Even DS2 is a better game for me. The first third of DS2 is pretty "ok" but then it starts to ramp up , and as it ramps up it has you visit amazing locals and fight incredible bosses that still stick with me.

Currently for me :
Bb/Sekiro
DS2
DS1
DeS
DS3

Not sure if I want to edge over Sekiro or BB. Waiting to come off my Sekiro high as I beat it this week.

Duchess

I'm glad that From Software decided to move on after Dark Souls 3. It was a great place to leave the series. I wouldn't want to see them working on Dark Souls 5 or 6 at this point. It would be too much.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes and it kicked my ass and I was playing this game for a year till finish. Fucking giant enemy crabs.

bbeach123

The game lacking RPG elements . Its a good action adventure game but I want a RPG . Dark souls 2 is so much better as a RPG , set item , gear farm , diverse build , armor upgrade .

mcjmetroid

I didn't like 3 as much as 1 or 2.

I would put Dark Souls 1 at the top in terms of level design.
Sekiro on top in terms of fun and gameplay.

Top Bottom