• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Demon's Souls (PS5)

Ezekiel_

Banned
Silly question but did you kill the soldiers up on the walls before trying to kill the Tower Knight? He is still hard but this will make it easier. Another tip I can give is to not lock on to the knight, it will be much easier to see him and work out what attacks he will use and when/how to dodge them.
I did a few runs and cleared out the enemies in level 1-1 to level up a bit. My melee attacks were still pretty weak but I persevered and won. Slash away at those ankles until he falls over, then slash at his head. I had to make him fall over 3 times.

As for world tendency and killing yourself in the Nexus, no the game does not make this very clear at all from what I remember.
I will try again with your tips!

Thanks!

Cyborg

I love DS, never finished it on my PS3 but I did Platinum it on PS5. For me, the biggest difference with other Souls games is that the bosses aren't that special and that the real challenge lies in exploring the world and overcoming all the challenges it throws at you. The bosses are a nice bonus.

Amazing game!

Gandih42

I will try again with your tips!

Thanks!

It's been a long ass time since I played DeS on the PS3, but I would recommend pretty much ignoring the tendency system for your first playthrough. It's very obtuse and not explained within the game at all. That being said, it could be that the game becomes unnecessarily hard if you die too much in human form, so maybe just be aware of that. I don't remember that happening to me though.

In any case, good luck! It took me 2-3 attempts back in the day before it clicked, and now I'm a Souls-fiend, playing and platting every Souls-like I can find. Once I'm done with Elden Ring I'll be replaying DeS on the PS5 for the first time, looking forward to the glorious new visuals :messenger_sunglasses:

Shifty1897

I beat Demon's Souls for the first time on PS5 last month. For tips, WHEN YOU KILL A BOSS, DO NOT USE THEIR SOUL AS AN ITEM. It can used to trade in for powerful spells and weapons, once you figure out how. My first time through I missed this and ended up locking myself completely out of a whole game mechanic (advanced weapon crafting). figure out what kind of build you want to level towards before you start the game. You really only want to be dumping your points into 2-3 stats the whole game and ignore the others. In my opinion, first time players should be a royal and focus on magic. The spell royals get at the start will last you through about a third of the game, and picking up the cling and fragrant rings brings the difficulty to a manageable level. Also, there is very much a recommended order to do the levels in, I recommend looking that up if you want to streamline things. Lastly, get a blunt weapon and go to 4-1 if you need to grind. The skeletons at the start give a ton of XP early on and are weak to blunt attacks. Really world 4 is the best place for grinding, just go to the farthest part you have unlocked and start killing things, you'll get a ton of XP, and you'll need it. Demon's Souls almost requires some grinding and upgrading your weapons to advance.

Krathoon

It was a really good remaster. It does what a remaster should do, build on the original content.
Really, it is kind of a reimagining while sticking to the script.

Chronicle

Since I just subscribed to PS Essential I'll play this shortly. Glad I dint have to pay full price. I'm a huge Soulsborne fan but not your typical gamer. I'm not that good but enjoy them because of their risk reward system. I'm hoping this one isn't too difficult. I'm kit into the half health thing I'm hearing about. Sounds a bit unnecessary and a bit masochistic.

Gandih42

Since I just subscribed to PS Essential I'll play this shortly. Glad I dint have to pay full price. I'm a huge Soulsborne fan but not your typical gamer. I'm not that good but enjoy them because of their risk reward system. I'm hoping this one isn't too difficult. I'm kit into the half health thing I'm hearing about. Sounds a bit unnecessary and a bit masochistic.

Most people who are used to the Soulsborne games probably won't find it too difficult, I think you'll be fine.

Regarding the health mechanic - there is an item early on that may help with that. It'll still gimp you a bit, but you'll be able to beat the game no problem, even with reduced health :messenger_sunglasses:

GermanZepp

Guys I just finished 1-1 an hour after finishing elden ring, I can't believe the graphics. I'm blown away. Lots of joy. If this is how the gen starts we are in for a treat.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Booted this back up the other night and did not expect to get completely hooked.

Killed the flamelurker earlier today and about to kill the adjudicator. Investing upgrades into magic. Melee on bosses is tough in the game, makes ER and Dark Souls seem like a breeze, at least to me. Only time I've ever really gone a magic route, fragrant ring is clutch even though it takes forever for MP to recharge.

There's something really satisfying about slowly making your way through areas and farming. Such a brilliant game.

GermanZepp

I finally could afford a ps5. I finished elden ring in 60fps on it. It was awesome. Second to this I fired up Demon’s Souls. (I finish it n 2010 in my ps3) My jaw drop in awe, the graphics Damm.. I certainly enjoy the slower combat, it felt like I needed to manage the stamina more. And the items, while a lot like in every Souls, felt more useful that in any other game. Like, more meaningful and substantial to use. You know?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Things are going great. I'm really getting the hang of this game.

Also, this game is full-on survival horror as far as I'm concerned. Even though you can farm the shit out of health items, the game feels like constant resource management to me and the level layouts are truly some of the best I've ever experienced. It's a total masterclass. In how Elden Ring feels super loose, Demon's Souls is like the polar opposite, ridged as can be. It's a great experience. Exhilarating as shit.

I'm in the process of farming souls from the Reaper at the beginning of 4-2, I think I'm going to avoid vitality though. I want to maintain some of the challenge. It's super tempting to get OP with magic cause I'm used to melee.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I have 2 characters for Demon's Souls, just finished my time with it last week. Spent about 100 hours on my mage and 20 hours on my Gloom Knight.
I'll return at a later date to try a few other classes.
Love the game so much.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Finally took down the Manhunters and Old God. Manhunter fight was great. Dragon God is gonna get taken out tonight.

Currently at level 90. I felt like I was cheesing too much but then I progressed further into 4-2 and immediately got my ass handed to me in 2 hits, lol. I love that about these games, whenever I feel like I may be too overpowered, reality strikes a few minutes later and humbles me.

I'm straight up hooked at this point, I think when I'm done with Demon's Souls I'll go into Bloodborne and then the Dark Souls games. They're just too damn fun and I've never played DS2 & 3, should be a good time.

fart town usa

Gold Member
All I have left is world 5, Valley of Defilement.

Plowing through the game at this point. Level 104. Magic really does feel like easy mode and the crescent falchion +4 w/ magic at 50....I just cut through fools like butter, lol.

This will be the first Souls game that I beat. Granted, I'm at the last boss in ER and know I could beat it solo w/ spirit ashes (I made it to elden beast w/ ease and then died on purpose). Been trying to finish the game in coop with my buddy though and we haven't played in a few weeks. I never thought I'd get this far in Demon's Souls. I had it on the PS3 and never made it past world 1-2, lol.

Such a great game.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just finished the Valley of Defilement.

I can see why it's an annoying level but it honestly wasn't too bad. The worst part about was those giant-type enemies, they hit so damn hard. Died probably a dozen times in a certain part until I realized I should be using a defensive spell as a buff. Once I did that I was able to take them down with relative ease.

It's just 1-4 now and whatever else remains.

Top Bottom