• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: FF7 Remake. Beat it, thoughts. SPOILERS

Pilgrimzero

Having played and beat FF7 Remake, I feel bad for people who didn’t play the original.

They would miss so much context, especially all the stuff in the end few chapters.

How it’s not just a remake.

Yeah Sepheroth being shoehorned in was just okay. And they blew their wads with a certain stabbing and the final boss fight. This tells me certian things won’t happen they did in the old game (like the final boss fights).

Over all I loved it, and I expected not to.

I want them to do a Crono Trigger remake the same way.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Everytime I see a post about it, I really want to go back and do my "Hard" playthrough on PS5. I went in expecting to not like the change to action based combat, but I ended up loving it! Then the Yuffie DLC came out and made me fall in love again!

I really hope we get DLC for RedXIII as well as Cait Sith (especially with all the cameo shots in remake and the rumored idea that he
saved Biggs
in episode1.

Also, don't get me started on Chrono.... there are a ton of games that I would love to get this treatment.

TheShocker

Thought they could have cut out about 15 hours. Some of the gameplay elements just felt tedious, especially some of the backtracking. Loved the story itself though. And the last couple chapters were amazing. I also felt like the game ended just when it was starting to pick up story/content wise. Hopefully part II is bigger and open, and cuts out some of the BS.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Having played and beat FF7 Remake, I feel bad for people who didn’t play the original.

They would miss so much context, especially all the stuff in the end few chapters.

Yeah Sepheroth being shoehorned in was just okay. And they blew their wads with a certain stabbing and the final boss fight. This tells me certian things won’t happen they did in the old game (like the final boss fights).

I think Sephiroth being in the game will make far more sense once we get other parts - however I genuinely dont think that a “hidden Sephiroth” would have worked today. I am so hyped for the next few parts!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I thought it was brilliant. Was completely hooked. I loved that it was basically that the events of the original happened and this was almost a loop where a Sephora th was messing with it. The last few chapters were bat shit and I enjoyed it a lot.

then the Yuffie DLC was just an extra cherry on top. Can’t wait for the next part, hope it gets shown Off soon.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never played the original and I absolutely loved the remake.
Everything makes sense except sephiroth and the ending… but I think I get it

93xfan

Banned
Was sad to see some of the changes, like them showing the comment, the Shin Ra president not dying, etc.

Overall I truly loved every second of it up to over halfway through it.

Cautiously optimistic about the sequel

Rykan

A remake of Final Fantasy 7 has been THE game that I've been wanting for decades. The Playstation 2 came and went. Then the Playstation 3 with no remake to be found outside of that tech demo which felt like a huge tease.

And then it was finally announced only for it to be released....5 years later. It's pretty much impossible for anything to live up to expectations when you've been waiting for that one game for so long.

Final Fantasy 7 remake is not the remake that I wanted, but I'm also fully aware that this game was never going to be exactly how I wanted to be.

I'm still very satisfied with the end result. Combat is fun and I like the expanded midgard city. Dialogue has much been improved and the voice acting is fantastic. Visually it looks very inconsistent but the music is superb.

I really do believe how much you'll enjoy FF7 remake is, at least partly, related to how well you can accept that it's probably not what you wanted or expected it to be.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Terrible level design though. Its like FFXIII all over. But with a bit more interaction.

Its a fun game but really its also very shallow. The world and worldbuilding just isn't interesting to me in the remake, as its all tubes with little to do and all Nomura style gibberish. I fear the entire saga will play out like this. I'd rather play an updated version of the original game.

The combat is fun though, but it baffled me that something like the Colosseum is being locked within a certain chapter, even after completing the game. Also if you missed something, you had to redo the entire chapter or even quest chain in the case of the angel of the slums reward. Because its a completely linear game.

Xeaker

First two chapters were great but then the game falls apart.
The last chapters made me hate the game and the ending sealed the deal and I sold it immediately.

These shadow things were a horrible addition:
ImpressiveJauntyGander-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Lethal01

For me, the only major problems was wanting more advanced air combat in the main game, and just it to be as wide open and content packed as an open world like BoTW.

The latter is very subjective, I don't think the linear nature of it hurt it for me but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer wider and more complex levels with more environmental interaction.

Still, remake easily became one of my all-time favorite game, Feels like the mix of action and real time gameplay I've seen many devs trying to get to for decades but none doing anything nearly as good. The characters and story were better than ever.

The game is amazing, and the combat its the best when you unlock Hard mode, probably my favorite rpg combat style, but the best part its not a "Remake" but its a sequel, for half my life i wanted a remake so i can enjoy again that world, but i got something better, new content so i can enjoy the world in ways i never seen before, and the end of the game its perfect, you broke the destiny of the world, so anything can happen in the next games, and make it look like the original game is the bad ending, and we can make it right this time, 2020 goty for me, and episode yuffie best dlc of 2021

TidusYuna

The game is amazing, and the combat its the best when you unlock Hard mode, probably my favorite rpg combat style, but the best part its not a "Remake" but its a sequel, for half my life i wanted a remake so i can enjoy again that world, but i got something better, new content so i can enjoy the world in ways i never seen before, and the end of the game its perfect, you broke the destiny of the world, so anything can happen in the next games, and make it look like the original game is the bad ending, and we can make it right this time, 2020 goty for me, and episode yuffie best dlc of 2021

Agreed. But you are falling for the trap.

clerith-cloud-strife.gif
She is alredy dead, the last novel of the original copilation made it clear, now the trap is for people who believe she is "alive" and they can save her lol, now if sephiroth kill tifa instead....
joking aside, the original game make humanity extinct and all that, in the final battle of remake, red xiii says after 1 of the flash, thats a future need to be avoided

Dream-Knife

Banned
I enjoyed the story, but I have no nostalgia for the original game only playing it a year prior.

I absolutely hated the combat and how linear the game felt. Like I know it's an RPG, but one way paths through tubes, etc just felt like I was pushing forward to get to the next fight or cutscene.

GymWolf

I thought it was utter shit and an insult to the original but more power to people who enjoyed this third level fanfiction shitshow.

I just wanted the same fucking game with modern production values, not this episodic milking operation.

jigglet

Banned
I have no real interest in FF, but this feels like the type of game I might give a shot once the full trilogy has been released.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Everytime I see a post about it, I really want to go back and do my "Hard" playthrough on PS5. I went in expecting to not like the change to action based combat, but I ended up loving it! Then the Yuffie DLC came out and made me fall in love again!

I really hope we get DLC for RedXIII as well as Cait Sith (especially with all the cameo shots in remake and the rumored idea that he
saved Biggs
in episode1.

Also, don't get me started on Chrono.... there are a ton of games that I would love to get this treatment.

Go for it, the combat system really shines even more in hard mode.

Can't wait for the sequel, and I have yet to tackle Yuffie's DLC.

Need to wrap things first with Tales of Arise before going back to FFVII Remake.

Whitecrow

Banned
It could be so much better tho...

I replayed it a lot, but only because the chapters with Aerith heal my heart. Everything else is just ok.

I thought it was utter shit and an insult to the original but more power to people who enjoyed this third level fanfiction shitshow.

I just wanted the same fucking game with modern production values, not this episodic milking operation.
Tell me you dont know about modern production values, without telling me you dont know about modern production values

Did you miss any context or did you only play half the game?

Personally I'll wait until the game is actually done.

Awful game, awful fucking company. Not only is it a bastardization of the original, it isn’t even a good game on its own merits. To add insult to injury, it completely overshadowed the superior Trials Of Mana Remake :(

Loved the game's charm, characters and story. But I have to say, the hidden loading screens (winding corridors, squeeze-throughs etc.) forced me to stop playing near the end. Hope to pick it up again once part 2 release is near.

English is not my native language, what i meant to say was "with modern graphic, animations etc.)
your english is amazing, dont worry about it

what i mean is, how this game its an episodic milking? the original game was 3 disc, and just the remake its a 50+ hour game, with tons of animation, amazing bosses and cutscenes, the game is literally 81.3GB , thats a full game

Hugare

English is not my native language, what i meant to say was "with modern graphic, animations etc.)
What he meant is that in order to make the original FF VII experience with modern graphics in one $60 release would be impossible.

There are 3 games worth of content there. It would take more than 10 years to make, and they wouldnt recoup investments by selling one $60 game from it.

So they needed to chop the game on 2-3 parts.

About the game: I absolutely loved it

I'm playing the Yufi DLC right now, and the game still feels special. It was made with heart and you can tell, something really rare from an AAA production these days.

It was my GOTY until TLOU 2 came alone.

GymWolf

What he meant is that in order to make the original FF VII experience with modern graphics in one $60 release would be impossible.

There are 3 games worth of content there. It would take more than 10 years to make, and they wouldnt recoup investments by selling one $60 game from it.

So they needed to chop the game on 2-3 parts.

About the game: I absolutely loved it

I'm playing the Yufi DLC right now, and the game still feels special. It was made with heart and you can tell, something really rare from an AAA production these days.

It was my GOTY until TLOU 2 came alone.
Completely disagree, a lot of modern open world games are gigantic and much bigger than ff7 ever was, no need to do 3 separate games lmao.

This is the milking narrative that square used to convince you guys, but in reality, ff7 was never that gigantic to begin with.

Ff7 is my second favourite game of all time so i even bought the damn thing digitally at full price (something that i never do) and my ass still burn from that day.

Glad that you enjoyed, but Nomura can gladly fuck off.

Completely disagree, a lot of modern open world games are gigantic and much bigger than ff7 ever was, no need to do 3 separate games lmao.

This is the milking narrative that square used to convince you guys, but in reality, ff7 was never that gigantic to begin with.

Ff7 is my second favourite game of all time so i even bought the damn thing digitally at full price (something that i never do) and my ass still burn from that day.

tell me a single open world game, with a heavy story driven.heavy cutscene and the quality of animation, not the fetch quest where your travel alot
spoiler alert, you cant
just 2 of the biggest ip in story driven games, mgs and ffxv failed by a ton, in fact, ffxv have to tell his story in a linear way for half game and still was a disaster

ff7 was a huge game for his time, and the second most expensive , 145 millions in 1996, but facts dont matter to you, so keep dreaming its possible a 400 gb game at 60 dollars in 2020s, when games are more expensive and take much more time to make

GymWolf

your english is amazing, dont worry about it

what i mean is, how this game its an episodic milking? the original game was 3 disc, and just the remake its a 50+ hour game, with tons of animation, amazing bosses and cutscenes, the game is literally 81.3GB , thats a full game
No, it's a 10 hours section at best stretched into 50 hours with shitty sidequests and stuff that nobody asked for like fucking up the original plot or giving more importante to people like jessie and the other 2 dudes.

Some people liked, and some people don't.

Reactions: Fuz
No, it's a 10 hours section at best stretched into 50 hours with shitty sidequests and stuff that nobody asked for like fucking up the original plot or giving more importante to people like jessie and the other 2 dudes.

Some people liked, and some people don't.

if you skip everything, and just do the main game, still take 30+ hours (According to HLTB) so you are mad they add more content and at the same time, called they are milking the game?

GymWolf

tell me a single open world game, with a heavy story driven.heavy cutscene and the quality of animation, not the fetch quest where your travel alot
spoiler alert, you cant
just 2 of the biggest ip in story driven games, mgs and ffxv failed by a ton, in fact, ffxv have to tell his story in a linear way for half game and still was a disaster

ff7 was a huge game for his time, and the second most expensive , 145 millions in 1996, but facts dont matter to you, so keep dreaming its possible a 400 gb game at 60 dollars in 2020s, when games are more expensive and take much more time to make
The sidequest in the remake are trash so they are not a good reason to stretch the game like that.

And except for the cutscenes that every AAA story driven open world has in spades, 2 characters standing and talking is nothing mindblowing or hard to do, you are giving the game far more merits than it deserve.

Ff7 was huge for 1997, for today standard needing 3 games to make it right is bullshit of the highest order.

Listen, it is better to cut the discussion here, i already discussed this shitshow for more than enough on launch and i only get mad just by thinking about it.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Play intrograde, there is some nice main story advancement for the remake at the end of it after cedits roll. Or just watch it on YouTube, it really gives you an idea of the direction of the next installment.

Cornbread78

clerith-cloud-strife.gif

0309b4eb00036d0f322e6eabe8cc9b37bb8a31c9.gifv

Ya see, I think she dies like the original, however, as my buddy reminds me often, Zack is alive alive at the same time and tbings are happening out of order, so we are clearly on an alternate timeline.. I hope she lives, because she is the best character afterall...

Rykan

That comparisson doesn't work. Every single open world game is placed in one or a small amount of domes. This means that assets such as textures, models, terrain etc can be replicated over a large amount of terrain. The original FF7 takes place in a large amount of very different looking environments. Big sci - fi like cities, small towns, fields, ancient ruins, amusement parks etc etc. You can't replicate as much. An open world game doesn't necessarily take more effort or work to create than a linear one.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
For me, the only major problems was wanting more advanced air combat in the main game, and just it to be as wide open and content packed as an open world like BoTW.

The latter is very subjective, I don't think the linear nature of it hurt it for me but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer wider and more complex levels with more environmental interaction.

Still, remake easily became one of my all-time favorite game, Feels like the mix of action and real time gameplay I've seen many devs trying to get to for decades but none doing anything nearly as good. The characters and story were better than ever.

Maybe about 25 years time after they finish FF7RE part 3, they'll announce a 7-parts, 1:1 open world game. Feels like the natural evolution.

Hugare

Gigantic and much bigger open worlds that doesnt come close to FF VII in terms of animation quality, locations and assets variety, cutscene direction, setpieces and etc.

There arent many singleplayer games that comes close to FF VII R in those regards, let alone open world

You thinking that they would be able to cram a 50h JRPG on a 10h AAA game and get a faithful remake, you must be out of your mind

Loved the game's charm, characters and story. But I have to say, the hidden loading screens (winding corridors, squeeze-throughs etc.) forced me to stop playing near the end. Hope to pick it up again once part 2 release is near.

Such is life in platterville.

IMO the remaining parts are going to be way different than the original story, if the DLC is any indication. Any plot points (eg: Aerith's death) could easily be changed. The characters from the spinoffs will be a bigger part of it.

BbMajor7th

Honestly, I didn't think much of it. They nailed the look and feel, for sure, it was exactly as I would've imagined a HD Midgar. Sadly, game design and writing were pretty bland and the combat was hit and miss: worked great in some encounters, was positively infuriating in others. With the chapter system they opted for, I was hoping they'd flesh out Midgar in meaningful ways; really dig into some of the nascent lore littered throughout the original. Instead it was mostly junk filler about selling water filters, running through endless chunks of copy-pasted sewer tunnel or doing about ten different missing person, child or cat side quests.

The nail in the coffin was the overall direction and flow: party members stopping you every few hundred feet to remind you what you're doing and why it's important was just unbearable, especially given the weak dialogue. The beauty of the original was how much was left up to player agency: you wanted to talk to a person or learn a thing then you had to go around and interact with things. Remake drags you away from the fun every few minutes to belabour another plot point that the writers were unduly proud of with dialogue intended entirely for the audience rather than anyone in the scene.

That comparisson doesn't work. Every single open world game is placed in one or a small amount of domes. This means that assets such as textures, models, terrain etc can be replicated over a large amount of terrain. The original FF7 takes place in a large amount of very different looking environments. Big sci - fi like cities, small towns, fields, ancient ruins, amusement parks etc etc. You can't replicate as much. An open world game doesn't necessarily take more effort or work to create than a linear one.

That doesn't explain why Midgar was limited to more less the same handful of locations as the original game. With the exception of the short mission with Jesse's parents (which was like three streets and a battle arena), I don't think there's a single other location you visit that wasn't already in the original game. Sure, they're bigger in remake but it's mostly set dressing: very few buildings can actually be entered and very few NPCs are properly interactable. The Witcher 3's Novigrad probably has more interactable NPCs and enterable buildings that then entire of FFVII:R and that's just one city in an enormous game.

Just consider how many regular vendors - that could have been actual real people, with stories and side quests - were replaced with copy/pasted vending machines. How many 'beds for the night' you might have found in an extended Midgar, when what we actually ended up with was the green bench stamped all over the map.

Last edited:
Top Bottom