• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: FF7 Remake. Beat it, thoughts. SPOILERS

Bryank75

Banned
Enjoyed it quite a lot...

Some high highs and some lows too. I would say the highs were some of the boss battles and dungeon style areas, cinematic and realization of the world (apart from some backdrops that looked 2d on PS4 but have since been improved I believe)

Lows are definitely some of the side quest things, especially in the first area. (Sector 7)

Wall Market and everything during and after that was quite engaging and fun for me though.

If I could change anything... I would improve the sensation of contact during combat and have more weakpoints and stagger opportunities.

I would also advise people to just skip side quest stuff in the first open area unless they want platinum.

Pilgrimzero

I apparently missed some summons. Chadley stopped giving out new things and i figured he was done. I must have missed something since he never offered new quests or battles as far as I could tell.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t get the “play the original” crowd that’s missing the point

Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

Cloud is a big hero, in a class of his own maybe the best character on the planet.

Lethal01

Maybe about 25 years time after they finish FF7RE part 3, they'll announce a 7-parts, 1:1 open world game. Feels like the natural evolution.

A 1:1 recreation of the original just with HD character models would honestly be far easier,
Since it would mean the open world would be extremely simple and just be a shiny level select screen. would look something like this
ni-no-kuni-7.jpg
1280x720.jpg

Who knows, we might even get that with ever crisis.

I'm very happy they are handling the game the way they are and giving us something that's more than the original game ever was. I'm guessing that starting from part 2 things will feel a lot more open world just like the OG was.

Unless you meant totally restructuring the game to be open world from the start. I don't think that would make much sense, but i would love to explore the upper plate more.

Madflavor

It's the best Final Fantasy game (not counting the incredible MMO FFXIV) we've had in two decades. Of all the FF games that have come out in the past 20 years it's got the best soundtrack, battle system, cast of characters with incredible chemistry, and it nails that sense of adventure. They didn't "blow their wad" on Sephiroth when you understand the context that this is a sequel.

It's a great game, that subverts expectations in an actual creative and brilliant way. Enough bitching that it's not a 1:1 remake. Nobody wants to spend 80 hour work weeks for the next 10+ years redoing the same story but with better graphics.

Last edited:
Loved every second of it. It gives the characters a second chance at life, a life that would have never happened had we stuck with the events of the original and left it there. I love the fact of not knowing what I should know will happen next.

The original is my favorite FF to date, and FF7R is right there with it because I love that specific setting, characters, story, and world lore.

Imagine a native next-gen version of this running on UE5, oh, the sweet succulent possibilities.

Fbh

Really enjoyed this game, it's the most fun I've had with a Final Fantasy since like X.
The combat was a lot of fun, the visuals were mostly nice (if a bit uneven), the rearranged music was fantastic, it has some of the best bosses in the franchise and I liked some of the additions to the story like spending more time with Jessie.

Some other parts had issues. It felt a bit bloated and stretched out and I think they could have done a lot more with the idea of expanding on Midgar. We could have seen more of the city and they could have done so much more with the side content instead of the very basic and uninspired stuff we got. On the technical side it felt like they were too ambitious and in the end had to structure the game almost like a PSP title. You have to squeeze through places or go through a forced walking sections every 5 minutes because the world itself is actually a bunch of small interconnected areas.

I mostly liked the story but I thought it really fell apart in the final act. The whole forced Sephiroth battle and everyone just going out of character and starting to talk about destiny felt very Nomura in the worst way possible. I'm also not a fan of it being a sort of "sequel", the time travel sequels are one of the laziest and most creatievely bankrupt things in entertainment media.

With that said I still had a blast with the game and I'm looking forward to the sequel. And I hope Square uses this combat system in more games moving forward.

K2D

Banned
A 1:1 recreation of the original just with HD character models would honestly be far easier,
Since it would mean the open world would be extremely simple and just be a shiny level select screen. would look something like this
ni-no-kuni-7.jpg
1280x720.jpg

Who knows, we might even get that with ever crisis.

I'm very happy they are handling the game the way they are and giving us something that's more than the original game ever was. I'm guessing that starting from part 2 things will feel a lot more open world just like the OG was.

Unless you meant totally restructuring the game to be open world from the start. I don't think that would make much sense, but i would love to explore the upper plate more.
I was alluding, tongue in cheek, to a remake of the remake with an evolution of Remakes graphics (1:1) - it wasn't meant to make sense :pie_winking:

In fact.. the notion of wanting a sprawling rpg like ff7 remake, let alone the whole ff7 story, open world inherently doesn't make sense.

Batiman

Banned
Boss battles, cutscenes, The world design is the only really great things in the game. The little puzzles were tedious and most of the stuff between major plot points were soulless. NPCs were HZD bad, and were super forgettable. Especially most of the side characters. It does have some hype moments that made me continue with the game after giving up on it twice. Still excited for the next part but hope they turn it up a bit.

Lethal01

I was alluding, tongue in cheek, to a remake of the remake with an evolution of Remakes graphics (1:1) - it wasn't meant to make sense :pie_winking:

In fact.. the notion of wanting a sprawling rpg like ff7 remake, let alone the whole ff7 story, open world inherently doesn't make sense.
Wouldn't Skyrim be considered a sprawling rpg?

Nydius

I was also LTTP with FF7R thanks to my launch PS4 crapping out in late 2018 and my insistence on waiting until next gen to replace it.

I was left wanting, to put it politely. I think I would have been less annoyed with it had they called it FF7 Reimagined because that's what they're doing; They're reimagining the events of FF7 using a metaverse crutch rather than remaking the original game.

First two chapters were great but then the game falls apart.
The last chapters made me hate the game and the ending sealed the deal and I sold it immediately.

This quote summarizes how I felt about the narrative.

I also didn't find combat all that interesting for several reasons:
- The camera, even when fully zoomed out, is too damn close and makes seeing things around the battle space a pain in the ass.
- The hybrid of action, pause-to-use abilities, and janky character switching obliterated any flow combat could have had.
- Flying enemies absolutely sucked to fight with anyone other than Barret.

About the only thing I liked was the increased exposition around the other Avalanche characters. Fleshing out the backstories of Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse made the Sector 7 plate sequence much more interesting/consequential. But overall, by the time I finished, I wasn't really interested in ever playing the game again or ever playing any of its sequels.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
FF7R Episode One was a great game with beautiful visuals, amazing soundtrack, excellent voice acting, superb combat system that mixes real time and turn based but without slowing down how it feels and great characters. Story itself was good until the last few chapters where the game lost me. At that point, I just wanted it done. Didn't like those shadow things either which I barely remember. Side content was nothing special. Overall, based on how I rate games - Visuals 9/10, Audio 9/10, Gameplay 9/10, Story 7/10, Overall 8.5/10. Played and completed on PS4 Pro. I will not be playing any future episodes.

Griffon

Combat system was top notch. Most classic character dialogues and tone during the first half of the game were pretty much pitch perfect.

The story additions and new ending were total braindead dogshit.

I don't know what I will make of part 2. At this point I'm convinced Nomura is suffering from dementia and can't think straight for long enough to make a plot that doesn't end up completely retarded.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Calling it now that we will be able to save Aerith in this new timeline.

I don't think so. However I don't think she is at risk of dying in this timeline. I genuinely feel that we will see Tifa be the one taken out at hte end of part 2. Possibly even cloud himself, which Zack somehow making an appearance and being the primary character (if not Sephiroth) in part 3.

Im assuming they took LSD and then said let's crank this up a notch and smoked some DMT and this is the product of their collective thoughts.

The story is trash and the ending with all the time travel kingdom hearts garbage belongs up squares ass.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I wanted to love it because I like FF but I just felt bored. I think it's because they stretched out the beginning of FF7 into a full game. I did think the combat was good and there were some memorable bosses

Hestar69

Loved it when It came out and the more I think about it I think it was a solid 8/10 game.... It was great seeing the gang all again and seeing them voiced but damn was it a draggggggggg. Then we got that ending. I can't wait for pat two when things will pick up but when will we ever get that.

Pilgrimzero

Calling it now that we will be able to save Aerith in this new timeline.
I bet Zack or someone else sacrifices themselves in her place.

Biggest issue is they already wasted the “surprise stab/death” with Barret and he was fixed 5 seconds later.

ClosBSAS

It's not just a remake, because it's not a remake at all - it's a sequel. The only way the actual name makes any sense is that Sephiroth is "remaking" the timeline of the original to alter the outcome for his benefit.
Teach me master. It's a sequel? Wtf...I got it on PC...I thought it was a remake..the fuckk

Teach me master. It's a sequel? Wtf...I got it on PC...I thought it was a remake..the fuckk
It's framed as a remake, but pretty early on you are shown things are playing out differently than they should. You get flaah-forwards of how things are supposed to be (events from the original game), but they are being changed by someone and something.

The game still follows most of the main events from then original Midgar portion of the game, but some things have already been altered. The end goes completely off-rails and it leaves the story open-ended with anything being possible now.

We will see where it goes in the sequel, but there's no longer assurance certain characters who died in the original will still do so, or vice-versa.

For a person who followed the whole FF7 compilation of games, movie, and novels I dare say it is almost perfect. I like it's not a 1:1 recreation of the original and in actuality, it's Sephiroth meddling with the concept of memories and how the lifestream works beyond the fabrics of space time continuum. I like how they are presenting tidbits of the expanded lore from other games like Dirge, Crisis Core, and Before Crisis in enemy design and small eater-eggs with the centerpiece gluing all those things together being the novel The Maiden that Travels the Planet.

Despite all my praise, I have to admit that it's a risky move and we might regret a lot of things by the end of this project. However, I can't blame Nomura, Nojima, and Kitase for wanting to do something more with the franchise when they got the chance to revisit the franchise and take it to its next stage instead of a pure remake. Plus, we are getting somewhat of a pure remake with better graphics with FF Ever Crisis (I hope).

For a person who followed the whole FF7 compilation of games, movie, and novels I dare say it is almost perfect. I like it's not a 1:1 recreation of the original and in actuality, it's Sephiroth meddling with the concept of memories and how the lifestream works beyond the fabrics of space time continuum. I like how they are presenting tidbits of the expanded lore from other games like Dirge, Crisis Core, and Before Crisis in enemy design and small eater-eggs with the centerpiece gluing all those things together being the novel The Maiden that Travels the Planet.

Despite all my praise, I have to admit that it's a risky move and we might regret a lot of things by the end of this project. However, I can't blame Nomura, Nojima, and Kitase for wanting to do something more with the franchise when they got the chance to revisit the franchise and take it to its next stage instead of a pure remake. Plus, we are getting somewhat of a pure remake with better graphics with FF Ever Crisis (I hope).

Risky but they nailed it with the remake and episode yuffie, so im super happy with the end result, plus, people ALWAYS find a way to hate a remake (some people hate demon souls remake for fuck sake) and like i say before, the remake make it clear the original game was the "bad ending" of the world, so this time we can have a good one, something i have in mind is the remake of evangelion, start with a remake of the anime and become his own thing, people hated the third movie and some changes, but in the end, the result was fucking amazing, and im sure this is going to happen to this project as well

Risky but they nailed it with the remake and episode yuffie, so im super happy with the end result, plus, people ALWAYS find a way to hate a remake (some people hate demon souls remake for fuck sake) and like i say before, the remake make it clear the original game was the "bad ending" of the world, so this time we can have a good one, something i have in mind is the remake of evangelion, start with a remake of the anime and become his own thing, people hated the third movie and some changes, but in the end, the result was fucking amazing, and im sure this is going to happen to this project as well
I see you are one of my brethren. Loved the Evangelion movies. I have a weak point for stories that have time loops/different timelines/defying a determined fate and etc. That's why I loved the moment I saw this wasn't a simple remake, but a Re-make in the broader sense, for the creative staff and for the cast. It's an ambitious project, and I think there is no one more qualified to tackle this than the original heads of the projects.

Can't wait to see what part 2 and beyond will give us. Let just keep our fingers crossed in the hopes they don't fuck up somewhere haha.

ethomaz

Banned
It is actually an alternative metaverse from FFVII… why? I have no ideia… FFVII never had a time paradox but they seems to have created one for Remake.

FFVII and FFVIIR happens in two different timelines, or dimensions, or metaverse, or what you want to call it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom