• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: FFVIIR | Not a fan

I liked it for 13h but I just stopped playing at some point during Wall Market I think. The game slows down too often to be honest. I wish it was faster paced because it's really good otherwise. But bad pacing is something that makes me drop games very fast.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The original is cool but yeah the remake feels very lacking, the extra content they added felt less like newer organic additions and more like plain filler, and I really hate the new cloud. He wasn't this much of an asshole in the original. The visuals are gorgeous though

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
BTW, for people intending to play the original get the steam version. There's a mod that replaces the original overworld models with the battle ones, and one that ai upscales all the Cgi backgrounds so they all look good instead of all blocky.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
If they had just taken out all the bloat and terrible side quests, I would've enjoyed this game so much more. I understand they needed to justify the $60 price, but the good parts were so good that I would've gladly paid the $60 for a tight 20 hour game minus all the bloat.

Do you feel compelled to do side quests? I've never understood that compulsion.

I skipped almost every side quest or secondary task when I played the remake, because nearly all of them just didn't seem interesting. That's the whole point of making them optional... the player isn't meant to feel like a machine that has to take every lead, you should be role playing as Cloud, who has some sense of overall purpose, urgency, and impatience for pointless tasks. These are in the game if someone really just wants to stay in the world longer, but I don't see why anyone would pursue them if not interested.

Anyhow, my main complaint with the remake is just the real-time combat. Everything else was much better than I could have expected from remaking a classic. (I don't get the grunting thing above; either I just didn't notice it, or it's because I use the Japanese audio & subtites).

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Do you feel compelled to do side quests? I've never understood that compulsion.

I skipped almost every side quest or secondary task when I played the remake, because nearly all of them just didn't seem interesting. That's the whole point of making them optional... the player isn't meant to feel like a machine that has to take every lead, you should be role playing as Cloud, who has some sense of overall purpose, urgency, and impatience for pointless tasks. These are in the game if someone really just wants to stay in the world longer, but I don't see why anyone would pursue them if not interested.

Anyhow, my main complaint with the remake is just the real-time combat. Everything else was much better than I could have expected from remaking a classic. (I don't get the grunting thing above; either I just didn't notice it, or it's because I use the Japanese audio & subtites).

I didn't necessarily feel compelled, but I didn't know they were all going to be awful. So I had to at least try some of them to realize how bad they were. In total I think I tried maybe 8-10 side quests. I didn't want to just do one and then shit on all of them. So I did a small chunk and gave them a fair shot.

Top Bottom