• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: FFVIIR | Not a fan

Swift_Star

Banned
Good god... and FFVX is one of the worst games I finished in ps4 generation ... absolutely hated that game as a FF fan ... didnt have the heart to play 7R after that ... Im done with FF/square ... happy for the players that still enjoy their FF games, they are not for me anymore
I also hate FFXV and love 7R. If you’re a fan I’d say to give it a try.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah I don’t like it either. I’m not bothered by the story changes at this point, I quickly understood it wasn’t a remake but rather a new game with the old characters and setting. But for me it’s the combat, I’ve tried all variations but I just don’t like it. All the nice strategy from the original is lost in what is now a janky overly complicated real time third person slasher.

I like the visuals, character designs, cinematics, music and nostalgia. That’s why I play it. And if there is a slim chance that they return to turn-based battles in Rebirth I want to have finished Part 1.

FingerBang

Good god... and FFVX is one of the worst games I finished in ps4 generation ... absolutely hated that game as a FF fan ... didnt have the heart to play 7R after that ... Im done with FF/square ... happy for the players that still enjoy their FF games, they are not for me anymore
Well, I still like Final Fantasy and JRPG, I just think that game is terrible.

Loved the original.
Love the remake.
Nomura is king.
You know you're going to hell, right?

SkylineRKR

Combat is legit fun imo. The rest I didn't give much shits about. Terrible writing, dialogues, pacing, level design. Basically just another FFXIII with better characters and slightly more interaction.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah.....I didn't like it either. Felt like I was forcing myself to play the game. Eventually I gave up and moved on. Wish I had not bought the digital version now. I could have sold it or trade it in.

Whitecrow

Banned
Weren't you happy to know better that fucking sex maniac, the fat but (un)funny dude and whatever bland stereotype biggs was?

I think they added a lot to the remake:messenger_squinting_tongue:
Im team Jessie all the way. I appreciate a character that knows what she wants and openly goes for it. Its everything i wish to be lol

Biggs was ok, didnt add a lot, but he worked fine in the setting for avalanche.

The other guy yeah, its just trash.

I think that the crime is having less time for avalanche, and more for Lesli (the wall market guy who lost his gf (wow)) who doesnt need or deserve a single minute of story.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I could never understand why ff7r is loved for the same reasons ffxiii has been bashed to oblivion.
Because at that point people hated linearity, after the oversaturation of open world games, bloat filled and the failure of FFXV, the fans realized open world doesn’t belong on FF and it was always a linear series.

Miles708

Because at that point people hated linearity, after the oversaturation of open world games, bloat filled and the failure of FFXV, the fans realized open world doesn’t belong on FF and it was always a linear series.
So now we can finally say ffxiii was an awesome game all along? Or is it still taboo?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The original is my first J-RPG. Loved it when it came out, it's still fantastic overall.

I despise FFVIIR with all my heart, but most people liked it. The characters feel like the retarded, anime versions of the original characters. The original story is great, but this remake is 30% that, 70% filler that goes from meh to garbage.

The linearity and the constant squeeze squeeze to mask loading times, the puzzles and the detour there just to make the game longer. Utter trash.

The fighting system is the only good thing it has, though even there I felt it didn't really know what it wanted to be. But at least it was enjoyable.

It's a chore, it's a 30 hour long slog that could have been a decent 15 without the useless content.

That's why I'm shocked all, ALL OF MY FUCKING FRIENDS LOVED IT.

Seriously, it's shit. FFXV is better.
This summed up my feelings perfectly. “Like retarded anime versions of the original characters” is spot on.

I did really love the battle system. The one thing I hated was that they made CPU controlled characters are so brain dead so that you’d constantly have to swap around and control them all.

And of course the audio/visual aspect was incredible.

I think it could’ve been a killer game if they:
- had some competent writing and direction instead of cringe Kingdom Hearts/Advent Children melodrama

- got rid of the filler side quests

- made team member AI somewhat competent so you weren’t forced to constantly swap

I don’t even mind that they changed the story. I just wish they knew how to write and direct characters that act like adults with functioning brains instead of dopey anime dipshits

Gamerguy84

Original FF7 was the best gaming experience I ever had, truly amazing.

FF7R just didn't do it for me though. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

Fuz

Banned
Loved the original.
Love the remake.
Nomura is king.
Rick-and-morty-toilet-e1574091725452.jpg

I am currently playing the remake for the first time on the PS5… And despite the really slow start it is a pretty good game. Yep, it is pretty linear even if you do the sidequests but even not liking it one can tell that the production values are super high here. I am really enjoying it for what it is. I just wish that the area surrounding the main settlements were bigger and more diverse.

Madflavor

Final Fantasy has crossed the point for a while now that it's impossible to please a vast majority. Yoshi-P spoke of this in a recent interview:

"In the 35-year history of the Final Fantasy series, it’s always been the guiding policy that each new installment has to be the very best game that the director at the time can put together, no matter how the game world, the characters, or the battle system might change. Because of this, gamers and Final Fantasy fans around the world have very different ideas of what a Final Fantasy game should be—but to me, it’s those elements I mentioned."

The franchise has been around for so long, and it's an anthology that takes place in different settings, with different characters and combat. Because of this, every dickhead now has their own opinion on what makes a Final Fantasy game and what a Final Fantasy game should be. This is the wrong opinion to have by the way, because it displays a fundamental misunderstanding by the fan, on what Final Fantasy is. FFVII:R was the most fun and engaged I've been with a Final Fantasy game since FFX, which was 20 years ago. I think the game is fantastic, and it's a shame it didn't click with some people. The same will happen with FFXVI too.

Last thing I heard is that FFVIIR: Integrade was topping the Steam Sale Charts recently. It deserves it's success imo.

FingerBang

This summed up my feelings perfectly. “Like retarded anime versions of the original characters” is spot on.

I did really love the battle system. The one thing I hated was that they made CPU controlled characters are so brain dead so that you’d constantly have to swap around and control them all.

And of course the audio/visual aspect was incredible.

I think it could’ve been a killer game if they:
- had some competent writing and direction instead of cringe Kingdom Hearts/Advent Children melodrama

- got rid of the filler side quests

- made team member AI somewhat competent so you weren’t forced to constantly swap

I don’t even mind that they changed the story. I just wish they knew how to write and direct characters that act like adults with functioning brains instead of dopey anime dipshits
I wouldn't be bothered by the changes in the story if it was well written, but it's not. They made the characters worse and everything they added was terrible. The ghosts shit, every insignificant character that barely had 2 lines and now has an entire subquest, the "move the hand" puzzle, it's there just because they needed to spread 5 hours over 30.

The fact the first hour or so of the game is so good is what pisses me off the most. I loved the demo so much, I was so hyped. In competent hands, it could have been a great game.

How does Nomura still get to direct games? ☹️

Fredrik

I could never understand why ff7r is loved for the same reasons ffxiii has been bashed to oblivion.
What reasons? They’re really nothing alike. I wouldn’t judge a single one who like FFXIII more than FF7RI. They play completely different.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I wouldn't be bothered by the changes in the story if it was well written, but it's not. They made the characters worse and everything they added was terrible. The ghosts shit, every insignificant character that barely had 2 lines and now has an entire subquest, the "move the hand" puzzle, it's there just because they needed to spread 5 hours over 30.

The fact the first hour or so of the game is so good is what pisses me off the most. I loved the demo so much, I was so hyped. In competent hands, it could have been a great game.

Yeah but to a lot of people it is a great game, it just didn't work for you.

FingerBang

Yeah but to a lot of people it is a great game, it just didn't work for you.
Of course, I'm aware I'm part of a minority and I respect that. I might still play Rebirth if they fix some of the pacing/design issues.

Or if someone assassinates Nomura.

Or if they pay me.

• LOL
Reactions: Fuz

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

My only hope is that FF7R trilogy + Kingdom Hearts series are enough to occupy Nomura for the rest of his career. Then he won’t get the chance to ruin any other games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was aware before starting it that it's not actually a remake, but why the fuck is it literally called "Final Fantasy VII Remake" then? Is it just your typical Japanese game title trolling? Seems like THIS one should have been called "FFVII Rebirth", would have been more accurate.

Not that it really matters for me since I haven't played the original... Except maybe it does, because it seems like you need to have played the original to understand what the fuck is going on in this one? Which makes the "Remake" title even more misleading, since it makes you think you can just jump in without knowing anything about the original game.

So many stupid things going on with this game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I was aware before starting it that it's not actually a remake, but why the fuck is it literally called "Final Fantasy VII Remake" then? Is it just your typical Japanese game title trolling? Seems like THIS one should have been called "FFVII Rebirth", would have been more accurate.

Not that it really matters for me since I haven't played the original... Except maybe it does, because it seems like you need to have played the original to understand what the fuck is going on in this one? Which makes the "Remake" title even more misleading, since it makes you think you can just jump in without knowing anything about the original game.

So many stupid things going on with this game.
It’s because someone was wishing on a monkey paw. They wished for FF VII Remake and we got a game called “FF VII Remake” that isn’t actually a remake.

Then they wished for a true 1:1 remake of FF VII that covers the entire saga, so we’re getting that…. as a F2P episodic mobile gacha game.

Any guesses what we’ll get for the third wish?

Meicyn

Gold Member
Of course, I'm aware I'm part of a minority and I respect that. I might still play Rebirth if they fix some of the pacing/design issues.

Or if someone assassinates Nomura.

Or if they pay me.
For whatever it’s worth, Nomura is no longer lead director for the next two parts. It will be headed by Naoki Hamaguchi instead.

Doom85

song GIF

This was my GOTY. The linearity didn’t bother me (especially since XV didn’t use the open world aspect effectively IMHO), I loved the cast, dialogue, and English performances (especially Aerith and most of all Barret, holy shit his VA nailed it), and the combat was perfect especially after XV’s slightly rough combat (particularly the magic).

And the anime/JRPG dialogue to me is essential. One of the few concerns I have remaining over XVI (the recent interview alleviated quite a few concerns) is that it’ll be too serious. This is fine for something like Berserk or the early seasons/books of Game of Thrones as the writing was so top notch it kept me invested despite there rarely being moments of levity, but as much as I enjoy FF I don’t have faith they can handle it that well. For most writers, it’s essential to have many moments of levity and fun to balance out the darker moments and remind the audience there is something worth fighting for.

I’d be less invested in Cloud and friends defeating Sephiroth and the other antagonists if there weren’t all those moments of the characters having fun with one another. When people call for FF to stop this, it pisses me off as it’s too much of a staple at this point. Go play another RPG series if you want edgy and always dark stories but leave FF alone goddammit.

Oh, and OP failed to mention it, but the OST kicked ass. Again, coming after XV where the musical highlight was listening to FF IX tracks in the car, this was a welcome return.

Anyway, can’t wait for Rebirth!

Happy Pumped Up GIF

Swift_Star

Banned

Lots of people love his shenanigans, the haters are vocal but they’re The minority as you can see by sales numbers.

FingerBang

For whatever it’s worth, Nomura is no longer lead director for the next two parts. It will be headed by Naoki Hamaguchi instead.
That could be a good thing. Guess we'll have to see.

Lots of people love his shenanigans, the haters are vocal but they’re The minority as you can see by sales numbers.
I don't mind his nonsense for Kingdom Hearts. Played all of them, but they got progressively worse.

It seems like every game he gets involved with goes into a development hell of some kind though

ssringo

All the forced slow walking and squeezing through/under stuff to hide loading is terrible. 15 seconds squeezing through the walls to get to the kid's hideout?

xwZbM5I.jpg

I'd like a remake of this remake that removes a lot of that shit.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean, I think Elden Ring is a copy & paste of Dark Souls which is starting to become boring now but I don't make a thread about it.
Not all games are for everyone.
Some people who just play COD & Fifa obviously never got FFVII when it released and still don't get it now with FFVIIR.
My brother thinks they didn't improved anything with the Remake and it still looks like a PSone game soo.....

OOGABOOGA

Banned
try FFX to experience what a cringe dialogue is. There are seriously some of the most cringe dialogue I have ever heard in video games there lol. The dialogue of FF7R is neat imo.

Although I prefer tactical ATB or turn base, but they did an amazing job combining both the tactical and action combat.

Yeah the game is fucking linear, so what!! Plenty of games are. The story and gameplay still kept me interested.

Last edited:
I guess I didn't really notice first playthrough as I was invested in seeing where the story was going compared to the original but I started NG+ and before long thought "wow this is actually incredibly boring". Still got my monies worth I guess but a real missed opportunity in hindsight as everything but maybe the combat is done way better elsewhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Decent (partial) remake overall but it has way too many slow paced slog segments in the middle.

I haven't felt like playing it back again after beating it at launch either, like other posters have said, it's kinda boring.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
That could be a good thing. Guess we'll have to see.

I don't mind his nonsense for Kingdom Hearts. Played all of them, but they got progressively worse.

It seems like every game he gets involved with goes into a development hell of some kind though
Nah, SQEX doesn’t seem to have a dev hell problem for a long time now. KH4 and FFVIIRebirth are fine.
They had a problem before because of the luminous engine and since the transition to UE, this was solved. It’s one of the best decisions they ever made.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I also dislike the combat system and would have greatly preferred something turn-based, but otherwise the Remake is dream come true. And every fear I had of them "updating" the game's content or characters to match current political correctness was averted.

Neff

Why do people like it?

-Great combat system
-Stupendous production values
-Nostalgia
-The comfiest setting in gaming ever
-Beloved characters are vividly, flawlessly (except maybe Tifa, I don't think they got her quite right) depicted in absurd HD detail with incredible performances
-New stuff, new surprises
-Sweet music remixes
-Rosche
-Waifus

It's just fucking great, man. There's a lot of modern hand hold-y shit in there, it's unavoidable. It definitely could have done with more depth, especially regarding Materia setups. There's too much slow walking and squeezing through loading crevices, it goes without saying.

But when it's good, it's really good.

I also hate FFXV and love 7R. If you’re a fan I’d say to give it a try.

Agreed. FFXV is a genuinely miserable experience for the most part.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

It's a game that is meant to expand on and luxuriate in the setting of Midgar, and it seems almost exclusively for fans who love/loved FF7 and really want that level of "expansion" when it comes to the world itself, the setting which kicked off the original series, and the initial conflict which led to what we consider the beats of the story that made up FF7.

It's basically the ultimate example of drawn-out, massive fan service. That's what the series is for. So if this is not you, an original fan, the game isn't for you. Really simple. No need to investigate what works or doesn't work about it, because that's the only reason the game exists.

If this does sound like you and you still don't like the game... well you it was never going to appeal to you. If you wanted some version of a clean, super-faithful update of FF7 in terms of narrative pace or gameplay fidelity, it's really obvious that they are doing something very, very different than that with this series. So no matter how much you might have been a fan of the original game at the time... this remake's not for you either.

I loved the original, and I loved the world, and I am happy to wallow in this weird, massive expansion of Midgar that they've created. I'm happy to see them tell this weird story of "fate" within the saga of FF7 lore. And as a logical adult I know there's no way to see a massive modern AAA release which can try to replicate the gameplay of the original FF7... so of course they updated it with their action combat system. And it's frankly by far the best version they've released in any of their games, as far as I'm concerned, while being a plausible update (with Materia, summons, and ATB) of the original FF7 combat system.

So I loved the game. But that's exactly who should love the game.

Anyone talking about pace, or dialogue, or character, or how the combat system doesn't fit FF7, or how long the game took and you just got through Midgar... it's not for you. Very clearly and obviously. Shame you don't like it, your loss as far as I'm concerned, but fair warning that it's now been explained to you, the rest of the series will be done in that vein. Just FYI. (y)

Last edited:

Lethal01

And the first meeting with Tifa after the first mission? Thats the most unrealistic reuniting ever written. Years without seeing each other, and theres no emotion to be seen by any of them.
Because it's not? Tifa is literally the one who recommended him to the crew after meeting with him.
Their first meeting is before the start of the game.

Smiggs

I really wonder how they plan to fit the rest of the game into only two more parts. They stretched about a 6 hour part of the original game into 30+ of superfluous padding, are they going to either rush/skip future content from the original? Or do they plan on turning a 40ish hour game into 200 hours? The original game really does cover a lot of different ground, and fleshing all of those parts out would be... far from a small feat.

The original is my first J-RPG. Loved it when it came out, it's still fantastic overall.

I despise FFVIIR with all my heart, but most people liked it. The characters feel like the retarded, anime versions of the original characters. The original story is great, but this remake is 30% that, 70% filler that goes from meh to garbage.

The linearity and the constant squeeze squeeze to mask loading times, the puzzles and the detour there just to make the game longer. Utter trash.

The fighting system is the only good thing it has, though even there I felt it didn't really know what it wanted to be. But at least it was enjoyable.

It's a chore, it's a 30 hour long slog that could have been a decent 15 without the useless content.

That's why I'm shocked all, ALL OF MY FUCKING FRIENDS LOVED IT.

Seriously, it's shit. FFXV is better.
Respectfully, you are out of pocket. Aint no gahdamn way someone can take you seriously by saying FFXV is better than FFVIIRE

Swift_Star

Banned
I really wonder how they plan to fit the rest of the game into only two more parts. They stretched about a 6 hour part of the original game into 30+ of superfluous padding, are they going to either rush/skip future content from the original? Or do they plan on turning a 40ish hour game into 200 hours? The original game really does cover a lot of different ground, and fleshing all of those parts out would be... far from a small feat.
there’s not much happening after midgar plot point wise. They move to a lot of different locations, they fight a lot but not a lot happens for a long time. I don’t think it’ll be that hard.
Stuff happens on certain points like Juno and others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom