• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy IX

Krathoon

So did you get to finally finish IX? I’ve been looking forward to you wrapping that one up! If you haven’t, no worries. But I’m curious (without spoiling for fart town and others) what your thoughts are on the ending and game overall.
No. I haven't finished it. I am not certain if I will do sidequests or barrel on to the ending. I could finish it and keep a save to do sidequests.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I was stoked when Blank showed up with Marcus. That was a great development in the story.

I'm ready for Steiner to stop being such a bitch, hopefully his character develops more. About to leave Lindblum to head towards an underground cave.

Garnet will hopefully stop acting like a dipshit too, Zidane and Vivi are awesome though. Mouse Knight is great as well, her character design is fantastic.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm in the black mage village right now and even though I'm enjoying the game, it's still incredibly underwhelming.

Not sure if the story is going to pick up but I just don't really feel invested in anything. There's been a few moments here and there but it's just not coming anywhere near the heights of other JRPGs that I treasure.

I should hopefully get to disc 3 before the day is over.

Narasumas

I'm in the black mage village right now and even though I'm enjoying the game, it's still incredibly underwhelming.

Not sure if the story is going to pick up but I just don't really feel invested in anything. There's been a few moments here and there but it's just not coming anywhere near the heights of other JRPGs that I treasure.

Dude you’re powering thru right now! It gets a little disjointed in sections in my opinion once you leave the mist continent…but there’s a pretty funny scene ahead in Conde Pete or whatever the name is. The ability for more free exploration will open up soon for you too. If you need good gear, don’t sleep on the chocobos. Also there’s another Qu Marsh where you’re at near the Black Mage Village. You can collect frogs which helps for one of Quinas blue magic spells (frog drop?). You’re playing on classic hardware right? That’s one thing I like better about the remaster—you can speed up the battles. IX is notorious for slow battle animations, which can slow things down to a drag sometimes.

anab0lic36

It was the Last Final Fantasy that I enjoyed.... saying that, I never actually finished it, so guess I didn't enjoy it THAT much. for me The Final Fantasy series peaked at FF6 and has never come even remotely close to reaching those highs again.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Dude you’re powering thru right now! It gets a little disjointed in sections in my opinion once you leave the mist continent…but there’s a pretty funny scene ahead in Conde Pete or whatever the name is. The ability for more free exploration will open up soon for you too. If you need good gear, don’t sleep on the chocobos. Also there’s another Qu Marsh where you’re at near the Black Mage Village. You can collect frogs which helps for one of Quinas blue magic spells (frog drop?). You’re playing on classic hardware right? That’s one thing I like better about the remaster—you can speed up the battles. IX is notorious for slow battle animations, which can slow things down to a drag sometimes.
I'm playing it on the PSPgo connected to a TV so not sure if it's outright emulation or 1:1 but it might as well be actual hardware as far as I know.

I haven't been doing the frog stuff, I take my time in towns with interreacting with people but haven't bothered with side quests, but that's any classic JRPG, I've never put much emphasis on the optional stuff.

Definitely don't want to give the impression that I'm down on the game, I'm really enjoying it, but I just want more out of the story at this point. Just gotta be patient I guess.

A lot of people say the narrative falls apart in the last quarter of the game or so, but I actually enjoy where it goes and it gives more meaning to the rest of the story beforehand. That said, FF7, FF6, and FFX are still better games so if you are this far in and still underwhelmed I don’t think the sentiment overall will change much.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Here's some 240p scan line goodness.

1YD9WxK.jpg

Zander (Zidane) & Oliver (Vivi)
8xx4e2D.jpg
r5i3akP.jpg

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
rqQNfxe.jpg
KqdHtGf.jpg
UD9td8O.jpg
UJEByQF.jpg

Gorgeous game. Mentioned it above but PSPgo w/ component cables hooked to a CRT outputs 240p. Only downside is that the battery is only good for like 2-3 hours. A cradle exists that charges/outputs video but they're expensive, $100+ on eBay.

Last edited:

Narasumas

rqQNfxe.jpg
KqdHtGf.jpg
UD9td8O.jpg
UJEByQF.jpg

Gorgeous game. Mentioned it above but PSPgo w/ component cables hooked to a CRT outputs 240p. Only downside is that the battery is only good for like 2-3 hours. A cradle exists that charges/outputs video but they're expensive, $100+ on eBay.
The pre-rendered backgrounds and level designs are some of my favorites. They do a great job of world building through the unique level designs and set building. From vibrant European inspired Alexandria, to desolate, city of despair and cursed rain of Burmecia, the aristocratic night flair of Treno, all the way to a freaking isolated and fortified treeward kingdom of rat people! Just to name a few early locales. The cutscenes were also Square at some of its best. I bet they look pretty good on native res. God, I haven’t gamed on a CRT since ~2006. I miss thinking I was cool because I had a TV and cables that did progressive scan with my GameCube. Pour a beer out for me, I’ve pretty much forgotten what it looks like.

Krathoon

I run the game at double the resolution in an emulator. So, it is like playing a slightly tweaked Playstation version. It looks much cleaner with the increased resolution.
I didn't increase it too much because I wanted it too still feel like a Playstation game.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg. We had some friends stay the night on NYE and they all tested positive yesterday/today for covid.

I think I have covid so that's putting a huge damper on my FF9 gameplay, lol. I did make it to disc 3 last night and slept all day.

One of the worst headaches of my life this morning but I'm feeling better. Hope I don't feel like dirt in the AM.

The journey continues!

Narasumas

Uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg. We had some friends stay the night on NYE and they all tested positive yesterday/today for covid.

I think I have covid so that's putting a huge damper on my FF9 gameplay, lol. I did make it to disc 3 last night and slept all day.

One of the worst headaches of my life this morning but I'm feeling better. Hope I don't feel like dirt in the AM.

The journey continues!
Hope it’s mild fart. Stay low, get sleep and make sure to be good to yourself! Gaia can wait 💪

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've been watching Mike Matei play FF5 while I play this. As a result, I changed Amarant's name to Butz when he joined the party. Now he introduces himself as 'The Flaming Butz' to people, lol.

I gotta say, Amarant is easily one of the worst character designs I've ever seen. He looks like Pyramid Head. Honestly not sure if that's his hair of some kind of hat.

About to start round 2 of the card tournament.

Narasumas

I've been watching Mike Matei play FF5 while I play this. As a result, I changed Amarant's name to Butz when he joined the party. Now he introduces himself as 'The Flaming Butz' to people, lol.

I gotta say, Amarant is easily one of the worst character designs I've ever seen. He looks like Pyramid Head. Honestly not sure if that's his hair of some kind of hat.

About to start round 2 of the card tournament.
Yeah Amarant Coral is easily my least fav character. Both from a design standpoint and personality. If you’re in a pinch in a tough fight though…you can throw weaponry for decent damage.

My fav character (design) is Freya. Blank and Beatrix are runner ups.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, Freya just shows up out of the middle of nowhere and has added absolutely nothing to the story.

I wish Blank or Marcus could be active members in the party. Blank is steering the ship right now so that's better than nothing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Well, I've decided to put FF9 on hold for a bit. I can only play it in the basement cause that's where the CRT is and I just don't feel like sitting in a dark basement anymore, lol. Winters are long where I'm at and I can feel cabin fever setting in.

Took my PS3 and monitor upstairs and decided to start a new game in FF13. Glad I did too, I've always really enjoyed this game. Made it to the last boss when it first released but wasn't powerful enough to beat him. Don't remember too much about the plot but the OST is just as good as I remembered. The graphics are insanely impressive too, crazy to think this game is 10+ years old already.

I'll get back to FF9 at some point, I'm at the spot where I'm looking for Kuja's hideout in the desert. I need to go and get Level 5 Death with Quina and kill some dragons for level grinding. Once I do that I should be able to breeze through the remainder of the game. I'll probably come back to it in a few months and will post accordingly. Part of me is still determined to beat the game.

Thank you to everyone who posted along in this thread, fun times.

Until next time!

Krathoon

Yeah. I played some FF13 recently as well. I got that one and the sequel on Steam for dirt cheap. That way I could play it on the laptop.
I made it to the junkyard area on Cocoon at the beginning. It is just past the first major boss of the game. I beat the Shiva sisters.

In FF9, I went through the purple portal atop the Iifa Tree and fought the Nova Dragon. It wiped my party. It seems like I need to gear up some. I think Reflect 2x needs to be on Vivi and I don't know what gear has it.

I am trying to get most of the old FF games on the laptop. I feel like I should keep FF15 on the PS4.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Know I am in the minority here, but I honestly don't care for nine (though I love the Japanese Memories of Life ending).
I thought maybe I just played it at the wrong time when I was a teen, but I played it somewhat recently, and while I enjoy the intro area somewhat the core game feels off.
A few things I felt:
-The soundtrack is more quantity over quantity and the midi/mixing sounded worse than eight and seven somehow.
-The battle system was way to slow. For me this is something I don't look past in RPGs. Maybe it's my ADHD but once I have input my actions I like them to take place immediately without me having to fast forward. This is something I feel like the first two Suikoden nailed. Even 13 handled this better imo.
-The overworld felt empty and dry and the mist added to this.
-The characters for the most part were not all that interesting in look and dialogue. I didn't mind the proportions though. I thought the graphics were quite good at the time.
-The ability system wasn't bad, but it felt boring after the materia system.
-The way the plot advances is quite slow and uninteresting. Feels phoned in at times. Which wouldn't be as bad if the whole pace was faster.

Overall, it just felt mediocre to me. A bit phoned in. I also personally didn't care for the overall look of things or the direction they went. Despite what some people suggest, I don't think it felt like the original NES and SNES games at all.

Krathoon

The world maps in the PS1 feel small. I think that was due to the video cutscenes taking up more space. The 2D games would have multiple world maps. Later, the games jump to MMO proportions. FF12 is impressive in that regard. It had large zones.

Krathoon

Yea, Freya just shows up out of the middle of nowhere and has added absolutely nothing to the story.

I wish Blank or Marcus could be active members in the party. Blank is steering the ship right now so that's better than nothing.
Freya had a lover that left for some military reason and he forgot about her. I forgot why. Something happened to his mind. Her people almost get wiped out.
She is supposed to represent the Burmecian cities that get destroyed.

Krathoon

I am still a good ways from the final boss. I got to get past that Nova Dragon. I need to get that Reflect 2x. It looks like I have to synthesize a Black Robe or a ring to get it.

Top Bottom