• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy Tactics : the War of the Lions

V4skunk

Banned
I don't really get what Bravery and Faith impact. Any advice ?

I finally understood how to complete errands mission. I discover an ancient city and became an adventurer. I am gonna do more to see what happen.
Yeah. Brave and faith is what increases the chance of your abilities like magic or things like counter attack/blade grab working. Faith is magic and brave is none magic.
You increase brave and faith with certain skills in battle and is quite grindy to do.
Also having no faith means magic isn't effective against you. Not sure what low/0 brave does.
The Squire is the best class in the game, I recommend you fully max it before you even pick other jobs for your main.

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
This is both the best game in the series and the best game in its subgenre (maybe even the whole genre). I remain hopeful that WotL gets remastered without any translation "modernization", so that it isn't stuck on PSP and mobile. I would drop everything to play it on Steam Deck.

DelireMan7

So I am almost at 40h and in Chapter 4.

The Belias battle was brutal. I used multiples saves (anyway I have a personal rule to always save on another file when a game actively ask you if you want to save) so I could go back and grind a bit. But I rely on a strat I saw on the web (boost Ramza speed multiple times during the first phase in order to get 4/5 turns in a row at the beginning of the Belias fight). I usually don't look stuff on the web but this difficulty spike is too brutal to be enjoyable for me. It's clearly an extremely unfair battle and I don't really appreciate this kind of stuff.

Also I realize late that the lvl of enemies is scaling with Ramza's level. And as he was a mandatory character for all story mission, I assume he also was for random battle... So he's now around level 35 but I wanted to change my party for lvl1 characters and grind with them. It was fine for a time but toward end of chapter 3 it was complicated for story missions even with some grinding.
Now at chapter 4, even random encounters can be tricky xD

I slowly catch up in level (1 dragoon lvl 30, 1 monk around 27, and 2 others between 20 and 25) but the grinding starts to be a bit too much (but this is due to my dumb choice to take lvl1 characters mid game...).
I am still a bit short on story mission. I beat a mission yesterday by focusing on the main enemy (which was the objective) while I usually try to defeat every enemies to get XP and JP. I couldn't have win this battle if I had to beat every foes. So I guess more grinding for me for the next missions...

I overall enjoy the game and think it's a fantastic game especially when you know the mechanics and job system well. And for that I can't wait to replay it in the future to create quickly strong characters.
But as a first time, with almost no knowledge and lots of random experimentation it can be pretty hard at times. I hope I can beat it without too much grinding because I am a bit tired of it (because out of my 40h, there is at least 10h of grinding in random battles).

Graciaus

So I am almost at 40h and in Chapter 4.

The Belias battle was brutal. I used multiples saves (anyway I have a personal rule to always save on another file when a game actively ask you if you want to save) so I could go back and grind a bit. But I rely on a strat I saw on the web (boost Ramza speed multiple times during the first phase in order to get 4/5 turns in a row at the beginning of the Belias fight). I usually don't look stuff on the web but this difficulty spike is too brutal to be enjoyable for me. It's clearly an extremely unfair battle and I don't really appreciate this kind of stuff.

Also I realize late that the lvl of enemies is scaling with Ramza's level. And as he was a mandatory character for all story mission, I assume he also was for random battle... So he's now around level 35 but I wanted to change my party for lvl1 characters and grind with them. It was fine for a time but toward end of chapter 3 it was complicated for story missions even with some grinding.
Now at chapter 4, even random encounters can be tricky xD

I slowly catch up in level (1 dragoon lvl 30, 1 monk around 27, and 2 others between 20 and 25) but the grinding starts to be a bit too much (but this is due to my dumb choice to take lvl1 characters mid game...).
I am still a bit short on story mission. I beat a mission yesterday by focusing on the main enemy (which was the objective) while I usually try to defeat every enemies to get XP and JP. I couldn't have win this battle if I had to beat every foes. So I guess more grinding for me for the next missions...

I overall enjoy the game and think it's a fantastic game especially when you know the mechanics and job system well. And for that I can't wait to replay it in the future to create quickly strong characters.
But as a first time, with almost no knowledge and lots of random experimentation it can be pretty hard at times. I hope I can beat it without too much grinding because I am a bit tired of it (because out of my 40h, there is at least 10h of grinding in random battles).
The story battles don't scale they have preset levels. The random encounters scale to your level which can make it much harder. You gain more exp by hitting higher level enemies and especially the killing blow. If you want to grind jp without gaining levels bring a level 1 unit and just hit/heal/revive it after killing all but one enemy and giving them some kind of debuff. But if you know what you are doing you don't need to grind much or at all.

DelireMan7

The story battles don't scale they have preset levels. The random encounters scale to your level which can make it much harder. You gain more exp by hitting higher level enemies and especially the killing blow. If you want to grind jp without gaining levels bring a level 1 unit and just hit/heal/revive it after killing all but one enemy and giving them some kind of debuff. But if you know what you are doing you don't need to grind much or at all.
Good to know that Story battles are preset and not scaling.

I realize that I could stall random battle to farm JP but it's not something I enjoy. I prefer doing several random battles (except if it's a squad of Chocobos... These battles are extremely hard, especially with the red ones).

I agree on you last sentence. If you know the game's mechanics and job system well, you don't need to grind. I am really looking forward another playthrough (but not immediately) now that I know the system.
And I have the feeling there is so much hidden behind side activities like Poaching and Errands. I got several artifacts and hidden ruins but don't get really what they are outside of the lore. I suspect it unlocks some stuff in merchant.

Roxkis_ii

Like others in this thread Final Fantasy tactics is also one of my favorites. I remember on my second play thru, I grinded 5 of my squad to monk just so my whole party could have teleport before the first boss. Not so sure if it worth it anymore tho, since it feels like they may have lowered teleport success chances after the psp version. (I could also just have bad luck lol)

Also one my funniest memories was actually getting the game. A friend and I were at a store with his sister, and my friend was being a super dick. We were checking out the gaming section and found the last copy off FFT. His sister bought it for me to spite her brother. Sweetest karma I've experienced.

I still let him borrow it after I beat it, cause that was still my bro at the end of the day, but I'll never forget that memory. I get reminded everytime I start a new save. Good times.

DelireMan7

So I made some progress and beat all the battles in fort Besselat (the poisoning, the dam, murder of the dukes...).
My party is now more or less OK I think. I don't have a long range option but my 2 monks, dragoon and white mage with Holy have some short/mid range options. Also Shockwave from one of my monk is devastating in long range (but only in straight line) if there is not much elevation.

I recently unlock the samurai class for my last party member (which was a Thief with monk abilities). I am a bit disappointed. It's presented like a high physical damage dealing class with low HP but it's much less effective than the Monk. I have still to unlocked the Double hand ability to increase the damage of my weapon. It might change thing. I have 2 damage dealing Iaido techniques but they do not do much damage. They are AoE but so far I couldn't hit more than 1 enemy with them. Then the class having low HP doesn't help for survivability... I am probably missing something with this class and my build is probably not good. EDIT : Also really low move so he always arrives late to the party... Had to equip the Move +2 skill from thief to make him able to reach the battle before it ends xD

Also the enemy archers are always decimating me with their high range (because you always start on lower ground and they are always on very high ground) and damage. I am considering switching my Samurai to Archer to gain the Archer's bane skill to avoid arrows. It would also gives me a range attacker for a time.

Some battle can be a bit unfair when you don't know them.
For example, one of them your whole party is poisoned during the introduction dialog. Then there is 2 archers and the main boss has a gun. On my first attempt one of my monk died on the second turn before my White mage could launch a Cura.
This is probably inherent to SRPG I guess but also failing 90% hit chance attack and enemy hitting you with 30% hit chance is pretty frustrating. Yesterday I just needed one more hit to kill the boss. It was a 89% hit chance... Of course if failed then the boss try a Disable ability on my other party member next to him (that could kill him next turn). The chance are 34% to disable me... Of course it worked... Then I lost the battle...
I got it next try because the boss put himself in a very bad position from the beginning and I just nuked him with everything I got in 2 turns.

From my little experience, I think the Monk class is OP. Really high damage, a nice variety of active skill going from high damage, range, healing, reviving... and pretty handy Counter ability. Also the Lifefont (recover HP when moving) is really handy. Actually Ramza is a Max level monk and he's unstoppable. I have another character as a monk and he's wrecking havoc on enemies. I had a third one that I recently switch to Samurai.

I am curious to try a party without main Monks on next playthrough.

Still having a blast with the game despite some frustration (again probably inherent to the genre, had some similar thought with Fire Emblem Awakening)

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Too grindy.

Fuck the execution.
Game was brutally hard first playthough.
To the point I kinda softlocked my game with a certain battle where I get 1 shotted in a 1 vs 1 match.
I tried about 100 times to beat him but ultimately had to start a new game.
Whooped his ass the 2nd time.

But to be fair, the game ends up being really nice to you and gives you a
super OP
character a little later on.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Game was brutally hard first playthough.
To the point I kinda softlocked my game with a certain battle where I get 1 shotted in a 1 vs 1 match.
I tried about 100 times to beat him but ultimately had to start a new game.
Whooped his ass the 2nd time.

But to be fair, the game ends up being really nice to you and gives you a
super OP
character a little later on.

Yes the first run can be brutal. I see which battle you mean and it's a pretty brutal one especially the second part.

I just got Orlandeau. I tried him on an random battle and he one shotted everyone xD
I didn't play much with story characters. Should try that on future playthroughs.

I keep mentioning future runs because I think the replayability on this game is insane when it comes to party composition and customization. Also I guess lot of secrets (After reading a rumor in a Tavern, about an island and an Iron sentinel attacking everyone approaching it, it unlocked the said island on the map. But when I go there nothing happen... Also I am level 2 Adventurer and Treasure Hunter by finding artifacts or ancient ruins through Errands but I don't know what it changes...)

Knightime_X

Yes the first run can be brutal. I see which battle you mean and it's a pretty brutal one especially the second part.

I just got Orlandeau. I tried him on an random battle and he one shotted everyone xD
I didn't play much with story characters. Should try that on future playthroughs.

I keep mentioning future runs because I think the replayability on this game is insane when it comes to party composition and customization. Also I guess lot of secrets (After reading a rumor in a Tavern, about an island and an Iron sentinel attacking everyone approaching it, it unlocked the said island on the map. But when I go there nothing happen... Also I am level 2 Adventurer and Treasure Hunter by finding artifacts or ancient ruins through Errands but I don't know what it changes...)
I learned that Ramza as a Knight with 2 swords destroys every boss in the game.
Simply do attack or magic break and watch the bosses go from threat to a complete joke.
Even the final boss.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Too grindy.

Fuck the execution.
close-door-the-office.gif

'Tis my favorite game in every way.

That being said, the framerate is hard to handle these days. If it could be remade for only that reason, and NONE of the dialogue/story/presentation of the PSP version be changed, that would be...well, a great thing.

Graciaus

So I made some progress and beat all the battles in fort Besselat (the poisoning, the dam, murder of the dukes...).
My party is now more or less OK I think. I don't have a long range option but my 2 monks, dragoon and white mage with Holy have some short/mid range options. Also Shockwave from one of my monk is devastating in long range (but only in straight line) if there is not much elevation.

I recently unlock the samurai class for my last party member (which was a Thief with monk abilities). I am a bit disappointed. It's presented like a high physical damage dealing class with low HP but it's much less effective than the Monk. I have still to unlocked the Double hand ability to increase the damage of my weapon. It might change thing. I have 2 damage dealing Iaido techniques but they do not do much damage. They are AoE but so far I couldn't hit more than 1 enemy with them. Then the class having low HP doesn't help for survivability... I am probably missing something with this class and my build is probably not good. EDIT : Also really low move so he always arrives late to the party... Had to equip the Move +2 skill from thief to make him able to reach the battle before it ends xD

Also the enemy archers are always decimating me with their high range (because you always start on lower ground and they are always on very high ground) and damage. I am considering switching my Samurai to Archer to gain the Archer's bane skill to avoid arrows. It would also gives me a range attacker for a time.

Some battle can be a bit unfair when you don't know them.
For example, one of them your whole party is poisoned during the introduction dialog. Then there is 2 archers and the main boss has a gun. On my first attempt one of my monk died on the second turn before my White mage could launch a Cura.
This is probably inherent to SRPG I guess but also failing 90% hit chance attack and enemy hitting you with 30% hit chance is pretty frustrating. Yesterday I just needed one more hit to kill the boss. It was a 89% hit chance... Of course if failed then the boss try a Disable ability on my other party member next to him (that could kill him next turn). The chance are 34% to disable me... Of course it worked... Then I lost the battle...
I got it next try because the boss put himself in a very bad position from the beginning and I just nuked him with everything I got in 2 turns.

From my little experience, I think the Monk class is OP. Really high damage, a nice variety of active skill going from high damage, range, healing, reviving... and pretty handy Counter ability. Also the Lifefont (recover HP when moving) is really handy. Actually Ramza is a Max level monk and he's unstoppable. I have another character as a monk and he's wrecking havoc on enemies. I had a third one that I recently switch to Samurai.

I am curious to try a party without main Monks on next playthrough.

Still having a blast with the game despite some frustration (again probably inherent to the genre, had some similar thought with Fire Emblem Awakening)
I'm convinced the % numbers are wrong unless it says 0 or 100. After playing a lot of fft over the years the number of multiple high percentages that fail in a row and the opposite is not normal.

Monks are unbelievablely op. I haven't played the vanilla version in awhile so I looked at the ability list. One of the starting classes that has insane damage potential and an all around great ability set also can learn hamedo which is one of the best reactions.

The samurai has amazing skills but you mainly want it as a secondary class. It can't hit enemies/allies and what it can boost/damage is pretty big but it scales off magic. Even though it says otherwise the blade grasp reaction would be overall better then the arrow guard.

If you really want to replay the game look into rom hacks. The ones that completely redo all items and jobs are a lot of fun.

As an FYI, there is a patch out there called The Lion War that imports most of the WotL updates to the original PSX game and leaves things like the translation intact. I am playing through it now on actual hardware and it is great. I always thought the re-translation was silly sounding, and the original translation isn't as bad as it is made out to be(*), so it is the best of both worlds. 100% of everything isn't imported, but a lot of the new scenes, characters, ability to bench squad members, Dark Knight, Rendezvous battles, etc are included.

* by that I mean most of the actual story conversations are fine... yes I know a lot of the proposition dialog and event/character/location descriptions in the Brave Story section are a bit dodgy, but it is all understandable and honestly gives it some charm.

DelireMan7

So I beat it !

Took me 51h.

My final party was Ramza as a Monk/Geomancer, a Dragoon (with items command), a White Mage/ Time mage, Chemist/monk (but mostly using chemist abilities) and Orlandeau (I dished my archer/samurai which was more and more useless). Orlandeau is pretty much OP and helped a lot in hard fights.

Amazing game truly. Some battles, mainly the one against demons, are too much on the unfair side for me but overall I don't have much complaint about the game.

Wonderful art, very nice medieval settings, an interesting story, awesome battle system and an incredibly deep job system. This game is 25 years old but still relevant today.

I now know why it's a cult classic. And it became one of this game I will replay regularly. There is so many jobs and party combination I want to try. There is a lot of secret to uncover. Toward the end, I went through a city and it triggered a cutscene regarding one of the side quest I guess. I didn't try to investigate more because I just wanted to finish the game (I really want to replay Elden Ring xD) but I will investigate more all secrets next time. I am also really curious about the history of Ivalice, hope there is some lore to get by doing side content.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If you ever want to try a wacky and OP party, my favorite combo was:

- 2 mimics
- 2 mages w/calculate ability
- 1 ninja w/ dance ability

Every calculated spell + dance gets tripled because of the mimics. Best calculate-capable spell is Holy, plus there is some equipment (e.g. Excalibur sword) that absorbs it so you can heal your party members by targeting them indiscriminately. For the dance ability I mostly used the dance that causes random status effects and the one that permanently drops enemy speed. Ninja can easily charge in and finish off whatever’s left after a few turns.

lyan

Great game, though slightly disappointing on late game difficulty when I realize nothing can survive against my dual wield boxing army.

DelireMan7

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/tactics-ogre-reborn-leaked-playstation-store-square-enix-remake/

Soon we'll all be able to play the best Tactical RPG on a modern console.
2022 is the Year of the Grid.
Excited The Hills GIF

That sounds like great news to come :). This (and the long rumoured FFTactics remake/remaster) and the brand new Triangle Strategy receiving good critics, shall we see a (small) revival of the genre ?

EDIT : I am also waiting for Metal Slug Tactics. It doesn't look it will be have as much depth as FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre but it does look cool ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom