• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy VII

Cutty Flam

Banned
SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo

I’ll have to check it out again, I thought it was like a church or steeple of some kind. Last time playing, Cloud was sharing with his crew at the Inn his past and involvement with Sephiroth in SOLDIER. Saved halfway through the story, and called it. I plan on playing some later today so I’ll try to figure out exactly what kind of building it is

Cutty Flam

Banned
That building with the window overlooking the entire town of Kalm is actually a woman’s house; her and her two kids. She’s lonely. Has a small son and daughter who are in the room upstairs. In the back of their house is the stairwell that leads up to the place where Cloud can look over much of the town of Kalm. It’s really a nice little town they have there; pretty quaint and the people are settled in nicely. Problems weigh over the shoulders of the citizens still though, having nice things and a great life still bears its responsibilities and problems. I like how it’s tucked away from catastrophe both in feel and location. But the lonely woman in the house with her kids seems to have witnessed someone dangerous…

rYhfeyJ.jpg

hhBvqKq.jpg

zTvz5MA.jpg

bAgcDq4.jpg

KZzmhPe.jpg

Nnu8aMV.jpg

Cutty Flam

Banned
Cloud's story at the Inn was indeed very interesting. I've always been a huge, huge fan of moments in time like that. Where a group or squad find a safe place, a little hideout or some place where they're tucked away for a little while and gather themselves, discuss things over, have an important meeting things like that. A place to regroup and sort things out, figure out what's next. And what seals the deal for me is that it's a place where they all can rest or get some sleep, whatever they need to prepare themselves for what's ahead in the trials they'll face moving forward. A very comfortable and fine Inn as far as I can tell located in Kalm

It's incredible to me. An ordinary Inn but the sharing of the past takes place here in a legendary adventure that's just starting out. Heroes of AVALANCHE stopped here after all that's happened to them, and tried to put things together at this Inn but really this is only the beginning. We now all know (as a party) that Sephiroth is no longer the same Sephiroth and we know of the damage he's done starting in Cloud and Tifa's hometown of Nibelheim. He lost himself. Finding out the truth set him off the deep end and he's rejected his humanity. He becomes the villain in the mansion that Shinra used to live in, in Nibelheim. It's difficult to piece together now but the bigger picture is becoming a little more clear, even if only a little. The Ancients, the Planet, Humanity, Life Source Mako Energy, Creation, Science in the Lab and Experiments, all the characters and their involvement with one another...

Struggling to piece it together still but it is still very early. Midgar is at the center of all this somehow. That's where this story opened, and there is no question that we'll be going back. But I wonder what's in store next?

One last note for the night. I love this new character, Red XIII ever since we met him (the first being Aeris in what she thought was a life or death encounter with Red XIII). I couldn't roll with that name, it instantly bothered me that the Hojo named him that so I had to figure out something else. Went to find out his real name, so I went with 'Nanaki' and the rest is history. He's a part of the crew. Powerful, intelligent, efficient in magic it seems, and an excellent listener. This guy Nanaki might be my favorite character. But I love all of them right now. Their stories and ties to one another and the world are so amazing. I'm loving every minute of this game

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I beat it in 1997 and have never laid eyes on it since. But I have Intergrade downloaded on my PS5. Maybe one day.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I trekked across the field but couldn’t find my way. Am now back at Kalm and the first NPC in the town was looking at me. Says he saw a man in black with a mean looking sword go East of the field so next session I head East. For now, I’ll visit Kalm again and seek out the fine details here

I’m at the desk at the Inn, there’s a lot of heart put into this game if you take a close look. In this Inn, there looks to be a small Christmas tree (🎄) to the right wall with three ornaments? That combined with the color of the ground and the music makes me think that it’s December here. Does FFVII take place in the winter I wonder?

dwish

I trekked across the field but couldn’t find my way. Am now back at Kalm and the first NPC in the town was looking at me. Says he saw a man in black with a mean looking sword go East of the field so next session I head East. For now, I’ll visit Kalm again and seek out the fine details here

I’m at the desk at the Inn, there’s a lot of heart put into this game if you take a close look. In this Inn, there looks to be a small Christmas tree (🎄) to the right wall with three ornaments? That combined with the color of the ground and the music makes me think that it’s December here. Does FFVII take place in the winter I wonder?
Next step:
Chocobo Farm (near the huge Snake)

dwish

I found the Chocobo Farm and bought the Chocobo Lure. Now I just need some decent greens but this damn farmer is marking up his product like 6,000%

Cloud is level 17 already
Get the cheapest ones for now.

I wonder how the remake will handle these parts

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
The Remake turned out shit because of two things: A) Nobody asked for a "reimagination". People were asking for a "remake", because at the time a remake basically meant "the original game with better graphics". So yes, people actually asked for a "remaster" when they said "remake". B) Nobody asked for a complete genre change. I mean, how can you take one of the best and most popular video games ever produced... and completely change its fucking GENRE?! Even if the goal is to develop a "reimagination" of any game, it should AT LEAST stay the same genre and not something completely different. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if, let's say a hypothetical QUAKE 1 "remake" suddenly became a 3rd person cover shooter? Or a character action game? Ridiculous!
Please abstein from the hyperbolic FF7 'remake is shit' tirade..

It's such a drag seeing people take a dump on something one thoroughly enjoyed (despite my own fears), and something that for once isn't churned out purely as a money grab, but actually retains some the original soul and adds a little of it's own.

Kev Kev

I wonder how the remake will handle these parts
i imagine what we saw in part 1 will be similar to what we see in subsequent parts.

which would be massively disappointing, so i hope im wrong. i just have this sinking feeling its not going to open up, were not going to get all the mini games we did before (including the chocobo mini game), there wont be vehicles or anything like that, itll just be slightly open but small hub section with linear hallways attaching them together (like ff7r), and plenty boring side quest filler like we unfortunately saw in part 1.

anyway, back on topic... hey Cutty Flam Cutty Flam , just like ff9, make sure you complete the chocobo mini game in ff7, it is massively helpful and really opens up the game for the most exploration and will help you get the most out of the experience

dwish

i imagine what we saw in part 1 will be similar to what we see in subsequent parts.

which would be massively disappointing, so i hope im wrong. i just have this sinking feeling its not going to open up, were not going to get all the mini games we did before (including the chocobo mini game), there wont be vehicles or anything like that, itll just be slightly open but small hub section with linear hallways attaching them together (like ff7r), and plenty boring side quest filler like we unfortunately saw in part 1.
Im actually optimistic about an overworld. I remember seeing screenshots of FFvsXIII where Nomura was trying that out.

anyway, back on topic... hey Cutty Flam Cutty Flam , just like ff9, make sure you complete the chocobo mini game in ff7, it is massively helpful and really opens up the game for the most exploration and will help you get the most out of the experience

I wouldn’t mind if they gutted all the minigames from the remake. It’s easily the worst aspect of FF7. The chocobo one especially, it’s such a time waster. Don’t bother Cutty!

K2D

Banned
I wouldn’t mind if they gutted all the minigames from the remake. It’s easily the worst aspect of FF7. The chocobo one especially, it’s such a time waster. Don’t bother Cutty!
How is chocobo breeding a time waster? If you're referring to the racing, well, all gambling is a waste unless you can game the house.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Please abstein from the hyperbolic FF7 'remake is shit' tirade..

It's such a drag seeing people take a dump on something one thoroughly enjoyed (despite my own fears), and something that for once isn't churned out purely as a money grab, but actually retains some the original soul and adds a little of it's own.

You don't get to decide what opinions people are allowed to voice. The remake is hot garbage. I'm glad you enjoyed a game that you got, but they absolutely ruined Final Fantasy VII with this crap remake.

Cutty Flam

Banned
In battle there is much to learn. Only the ABCs of Materia is what I know currently. The worst part about that is, those who taught me about Materia and listened to Cloud’s teachings of Materia and overall life skills in the field; are all dead. They were in the slums of Sector 7 when the plate crashed down on them

The weight on the shoulders of AVALANCHE couldn’t be heavier given how early it is in the game. There is so much to fight for, and so much at stake already. Anything on top of this? Sets the game into epic territory instantly IMO. It’s already epic as early as now where I’m at, and the pacing in this game is unbelievably strong

Rat Rage

Money grab? The decision to turn FF7 Remake into a generic 3rd person action game was purely a money-grab-type business decision (because Square Enix execs simply believed that this type of genre would yield the most profits [which I personally don't agree with and think can be well debated]) and not one bit an artistic one.
They literally couldn't have made a more soulless decion when it comes to remaking Final Fantasy 7.

EruditeHobo

The weight on the shoulders of AVALANCHE couldn’t be heavier given how early it is in the game. There is so much to fight for, and so much at stake already. Anything on top of this? Sets the game into epic territory instantly IMO. It’s already epic as early as now where I’m at, and the pacing in this game is unbelievably strong

I remember feeling this exact way at the start as well, for my first playthrough... feeling things get heavy, but still having no idea how much bigger it was going to get. It keeps going for a long time still, keeps getting bigger.

Damn. You're making me want to replay this.

EruditeHobo

Money grab? The decision to turn FF7 Remake into a generic 3rd person action game was purely a money-grab-type business decision (because Square Enix execs simply believed that this type of genre would yield the most profits [which I personally don't agree with and think can be well debated]) and not one bit an artistic one.
They literally couldn't have made a more soulless decion when it comes to remaking Final Fantasy 7.

No one cares, take it to a relevant thread please.

K2D

Banned
Hey man! Great thread. Doing some research for another type of lttp. You're in for a treat with og FF7.
Do try approaching end game unprepared, but afterwards - don't skip the end game sidequests and easter eggs!

Cutty Flam

Banned
The impact of Shinra has fully impacted nearly every character in this game. All the main characters, basically all the NPCs

Some of these NPCs and their conversations w/ Cloud man... I couldn't ask for a better RPG to be chipping away at right now

My most recent major stop was at the location where the Condor is perched atop the village. This is the first bastion I've come across and they seem ready to battle Shinra at a moment's notice. But there weren't many there. They're recruiting allies and asked Cloud and company if they'd partner up to fight Shinra. A major battle might take place here but it looks like they'd get swept in a heartbeat no matter their valor; based off numbers alone. Shinra is too powerful. But if Cloud is there at the time of the battle, maybe the villagers and the Condor will survive. I have a bad feeling about it though. Leading up to that place was a giant serpent, which was left impaled in the middle of our path by Sephiroth apparently. An omen possibly? At the very least it demonstrates that there is a monster out there that can impale a fucking 30 ft Midgar Zolom lol

Kev Kev

Reposting this from the community thread to hopefully get an answer… maybe Cutty Flam Cutty Flam has come across the answer somewhere in his FF travels…?

“OG FF7 question…

Should I search every wall, bookshelf, pot, cabinet, every inch of every searchable area, etc., just in case there are hidden items like in previous FF games…?

Or are there just not that many hidden items like that in FF7?

I’m noticing some hidden stuff but nothing great so far and it’s few and far between. I remember I previous FFs it’d be all over the place, especially in towns. You’d search every random corner, wall, dead end, interesting looking object, everything! You’d go around the whole game world just tapping search, hoping to find an ether or an elixir or piece of weapon/armor.

I’ve been doing it here and there in my FF7 run, and I found a few things here and there, but I don’t want to waste time if it’s just a potion or whatever. Anyone know if it’s worth it to search every nook and cranny?”

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Like any FF, you should always be mindful of searching every nook and cranny... not necessarily because there will always or often be lots of rewards strewn about in every single room & alley of every single town, but rather because if you don't thoroughly explore you will miss hugely helpful items. Mostly materia, IIRC.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Like any FF, you should always be mindful of searching every nook and cranny... not necessarily because there will always or often be lots of rewards strewn about in every single room & alley of every single town, but rather because if you don't thoroughly explore you will miss hugely helpful items. Mostly materia, IIRC.
Yeah but in FFX I did that and there was maybe a handful of things to find. By the end it totally wasn’t worth it. So far I’m noticing that in FF7 too, and I’m looking for an experienced FF7 players who can give me a definitive answer on whether or not this is a FF where it is worth it or not.

Thank you for the feedback tho. I totally agree with you, but if it’s just a few potions here and there then I’ll do a lot less searching. I’ll search interesting looking objects no matter what! But I’m not gonna scrape every single area if someone can tell me it’s just not worth it in this game.

I’ll keep searching every noon and cranny until then, but I’d rather not waste my time if it’s not worth it.

For the record I really like searching everything! So it’s no biggie either way, again just trying to use my time efficiently.

Thanks again!

EruditeHobo

Yeah, it's worth it in FF7, as far as I can remember -- eventually some fairly key materia will pop up not in chests, but hidden in a corner of an alley or a room or a tunnel or whatever. So IMO you should just get in the habit of thoroughly exploring.

Just my 5 cents regarding the VIIR discussion… since it is episodic, then SE has the opportunity to make every episode it’s own thing. Perhaps they will come up with the next one as a more traditional JRPG. Sega did this kinda of a spin with the Yakuza series, so why not SE. Let’s hope they hear the fan base this time.

ethomaz

Banned
I usually don't like to replay old games and in my gaming life there is very few exceptions.
FFVII was one of them mostly because the PC to PS4 port that added trophies... so I choose to get all trophies to have them in my profile.

Played it between 2019 and 2020... it was a nice ride even knowing everything (I got 100% of the game in 1997-1998).
I could see some dated mechanics but it did not affected the overall presentation of the game.

It is still way better than FFVII Remake.

PS. FFVII was one of the first games I brought in Japanese and so I started to learn the Kanji with it... finished it the first time without read any dialog but surprising enough I kind of understood the story with the CGIs alone... after the international release I finally get the full details of the game.

Last edited:
Yeah but in FFX I did that and there was maybe a handful of things to find. By the end it totally wasn’t worth it. So far I’m noticing that in FF7 too, and I’m looking for an experienced FF7 players who can give me a definitive answer on whether or not this is a FF where it is worth it or not.

Thank you for the feedback tho. I totally agree with you, but if it’s just a few potions here and there then I’ll do a lot less searching. I’ll search interesting looking objects no matter what! But I’m not gonna scrape every single area if someone can tell me it’s just not worth it in this game.

I’ll keep searching every noon and cranny until then, but I’d rather not waste my time if it’s not worth it.

For the record I really like searching everything! So it’s no biggie either way, again just trying to use my time efficiently.

Thanks again!
Honestly, as far as I remember, you won’t miss much. Not like you won’t find cool stuff, but in the sense that you have just about enough to go through the game without much hassle. However, since this is you first time with it and you seem to be enjoying, just take your time and do all the exploration you feel like.

Brock2621

No spoilers: my wife is playing through this for the first time too. She watched me play FF7R a while back but doesn’t remember much and hasn’t been spoiled about anything (just knows it’s a classic beloved by most). It’s a lot of fun seeing her experience it for the first time.
My wife played through it for the first time last year and it was one of my best memories with her. So awesome

Kev Kev

Honestly, as far as I remember, you won’t miss much. Not like you won’t find cool stuff, but in the sense that you have just about enough to go through the game without much hassle. However, since this is you first time with it and you seem to be enjoying, just take your time and do all the exploration you feel like.
Thanks. It’s not my first time tho and I can’t recall finding a whole lot hidden in walls and stuff. I tried to find a list of all hidden items in the game but didn’t find much. I’m going to assume there just isn’t much like that in this game, at least not as much as 6. So I’ll just explore and search interesting looking things. I’ll post again after I beat the game and discuss water I think it was worth it or not. It seems to not be to big of a deal tho, at least nothing super important or missable.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I like the Resort Beach area a lot. I have no clue what the hell happened on the cargo ship but that was one hell of a segment. I honestly thought it was just Cloud infiltrating but the entire crew made it

Sephiroth didn’t seem entirely himself on the cargo ship

And can somebody please explain to me how Professor Hojo has like three or four bitches on his dick. I get to the sand and this guy is just chilling by the beach with these women wrapped around his finger. I kinda wonder if Nanaki would have confronted him had he been there but he was playing soccer near the hotels and shops w/ the use of his tail (which he claims has a mind of its own)

base

Banned
I like the Resort Beach area a lot. I have no clue what the hell happened on the cargo ship but that was one hell of a segment. I honestly thought it was just Cloud infiltrating but the entire crew made it

Sephiroth didn’t seem entirely himself on the cargo ship

And can somebody please explain to me how Professor Hojo has like three or four bitches on his dick. I get to the sand and this guy is just chilling by the beach with these women wrapped around his finger. I kinda wonder if Nanaki would have confronted him had he been there but he was playing soccer near the hotels and shops w/ the use of his tail (which he claims has a mind of its own)
Because that's not Sephiroth

Top Bottom