• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Final Fantasy VII

K2D

Banned
-Fought the monster inside the safe at Shinra Mansion
-Fought a mysterious Ninja Warrior in the grasslands Jungle area
-She stole 200 gil
-Won a fight where Cloud, Barrett, and Nanaki all turned into frogs versus frogs. When we won the battle all three of us were frogs and the end victory dance was one mighty leap in unison, as frogs

Can’t believe I only paid like $7-9 for this game

UNl0M3z.jpg

uWK1NsK.gif

Last edited:

Neff

I'm playing through it at the moment on Series X via Retroarch, enjoying it the way it looked when I first experienced it thanks to those sexy scanline filters. There's something about these old prerendered games which benefit from scanlines like nothing else. And yeah, it's an incredible piece of work. So easy to forget just how much great stuff is in it, and what an unpredictable roller coaster ride it is.

One of my absolute favourite bits of the game.

Legal in the UK

w57tNS.gif

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’m trying to add Yuffie to the squad. She’s tough to convince. Good thing her fight pays 2,000 gil per bc she must’ve stolen nearly 2,000 gil by now

Cloud: …We’ve been had!

Nanaki was funniest when he found out she picked his pocket

Lambhalf

Alright this is big and no one has ever believed me. There's a big secret hidden in the FF7 that's never been seriously proven and no one has seen this other than me.
You know there's an island on the world map called "Goblin Island" right? So no big deal.
So about 20 years ago, before webcams and gaming vids, I was playing FF7 there.
Then, suddenly this one goblin shows up. I do sense on it, and it says "Boxer the Goblin." I'm about level 50 or so, and he's the same level and it's a bit hard to beat him. I win the match and then it goes into that scene like with Yuffie. Where there's the save point, plot of grass and instead of Yuffie there, it's that goblin. The cutscene goes on and it mumbles gibberish like "brrllbpp bpbpb" and you have to respond with "gppgpggopl" or "gppl". I chose one of them, he steals a hi-potion and runs away.

This is similar to how you have to choose the right choices with Yuffie in order for her to join your party. So, my thought is maybe it's possible for Boxer to actually join your party. I've never been able to recreate or run into Boxer since. I know there may be old articles on him and how he was cut out. But in all seriousness, what if he is actually playable in the game?

So, do you believe me? Again, this was around 2000, where we barely had the ability to take images from a tv. Should we set up a challenge to find him?

K2D

Banned
Alright this is big and no one has ever believed me. There's a big secret hidden in the FF7 that's never been seriously proven and no one has seen this other than me.
You know there's an island on the world map called "Goblin Island" right? So no big deal.
Then, suddenly this one goblin shows up. I do sense on it, and it says "Boxer the Goblin." I'm about level 50 or so, and he's the same level and it's a bit hard to beat him. I win the match and then it goes into that scene like with Yuffie. Where there's the save point, plot of grass and instead of Yuffie there, it's that goblin. The cutscene goes on and it mumbles gibberish like "brrllbpp bpbpb" and you have to respond with "gppgpggopl" or "gppl". I chose one of them, he steals a hi-potion and runs away.

This is similar to how you have to choose the right choices with Yuffie in order for her to join your party. So, my thought is maybe it's possible for Boxer to actually join your party. I've never been able to recreate or run into Boxer since. I know there may be old articles on him and how he was cut out. But in all seriousness, what if he is actually playable in the game?

So, do you believe me? Again, this was around 2000, where we barely had the ability to take images from a tv. Should we set up a challenge to find him?
The fact that there is already articles referring to this as a urban legend makes me not believe it.

I'd say it's more likely you had a lucid dream than it it is you found something no one else can document.

Edit: But who knows, I haven't seen any mention of it being debunked by devs.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
That’s interesting Lambhalf Lambhalf

Here’s a story that semi-relates to yours. My friends and I used to play the original Super Smash Bros. (first Nintendo game I ever owned btw) a lot over the years. No telling how many hours we played together but it had to be nearing 600-1000 because the game is just phenomenal. Even now it’s still incredibly fun to play. One night we were playing and during the thick of it (an intense four player battle at Planet Zebes) someone threw a Pokéball and Mew made an appearance. I couldn’t believe what we just saw. It was like the fighting was suspended and stopped that moment and for a second after the fact because we were all watching the result expecting a Goldeen or maybe a powerful Blastoise given the nature of the match but it turned out to be a legendary Pokémon we had never seen in the game before. Mew did nothing like Goldeen, but the spectacle of this even happening was very surprising, and memorable enough for it to leave a lasting impression and create a fond memory or tale of that match down to some finer details in what would have otherwise been just another intense match. The odds of that happening were always 1:151 apparently, we would later find out. And that # was a nod to Mew’s Pokédex number, it wasn’t random. But we must have played thousands of matches and this never happened once until that night

Your story on Goblin Island makes me want to explore and find this spot. But who knows, maybe you’re like one of only a handful on the planet to experience the ultimate hidden secret. It’s kind of unlikely to be true given how ridiculous gamers are and can be with knowing everything within and about a particular game but it’s also possible you are serious and it happened as you’ve told

Yumi

I still can’t believe you can’t get to the two islands in the south east part of super Mario world Map. I just checked again to make sure. I must have dreamed it as a kid or something cause part of me “knows” my buddy and I found a way over there. Super uncanny. Miss stuff like this.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’ve included ten pictures of my travels yesterday and previous sessions before that. We’re getting strong, I fought the towering Snake three times bc I was too lazy to find a Chocobo and won all three times despite its tactics of trying to go 2v1 and 1v1. Every time it used ‘Beta’ it was a worrisome moment though

A random note: Priscilla’s room is cool, took two pics there. I traveled far from the path and wound up back in the sea port town that Shinra occupied, the one with Mr. Dolphin

Bought some Materia and weapons, some first aid supplies and I’m gearing up something extraordinary to happen next so the crew needs to be ready. The ATB system is so simple but it constantly requires a certain patience or steady hand to maximize your abilities

UfvsyIO.jpg

emJEybu.jpg
A9Nll7b.jpg
KCzivDX.jpg
LcM0K5e.jpg
4GPheKj.jpg
TnCIyFx.jpg
bk3cere.jpg
KwTOtqt.jpg

KvZhG5l.jpg

K2D

Banned
I’ve included ten pictures of my travels yesterday and previous sessions before that. We’re getting strong, I fought the towering Snake three times bc I was too lazy to find a Chocobo and won all three times despite its tactics of trying to go 2v1 and 1v1. Every time it used ‘Beta’ it was a worrisome moment though

A random note: Priscilla’s room is cool, took two pics there. I traveled far from the path and wound up back in the sea port town that Shinra occupied, the one with Mr. Dolphin

Bought some Materia and weapons, some first aid supplies and I’m gearing up something extraordinary to happen next so the crew needs to be ready. The ATB system is so simple but it constantly requires a certain patience or steady hand to maximize your abilities

LcM0K5e.jpg

Most people name him RedXIII or Red or something similarly quaint :lollipop_grinning_eyes:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Most people name him RedXIII or Red or something similarly quaint :lollipop_grinning_eyes:
I couldn’t let him carry on the name he bore as an experiment under Professor Hojo, plus RedXIII in and of itself wasn’t good enough. Had to be something different. I searched his true name on a wiki site for FF and just named him Nanaki. Shinra has tainted enough in the game and world of FFVII, wasn’t about to let one of my allies roam with that attached to him. That was my thinking at the the time and how I went about it

Cutty Flam

Banned
It's kind of difficult to fully grasp the weight of this moment in the game and what it means to me as a gamer. Not that it's that serious, but I'm just thinking about it. I never played FFVII on the Playstation as a kid. At the time it was a bunch of random games and some greats too that I'd get into here and there. Roll Away, Desert Storm, Konami Classics, Jurassic Park, Spyro the Dragon, Tarzan The Movie game, Tekken, 2Xtreme, Road Rash, Gran Turismo 2, Crash Bandiccot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Gex, bunch of other little games here and there, etc. Thinking about playing FFVII at that time boggles my mind because I'm realizing that this game very likely would have changed my life in the same way OoT changed my life. This would have been that game that impacts my entire way of thinking and seeing things artistically and possibly even overall in life, too

Idk, I was only three or four when the Playstation came out and started playing the games when I was like four and half. They were all fun but fairly simple games. To know that a game like this was created and released before 1998 when Ocarina of Time was is a feat that stuns me. The words Professor Bugenhagen speaks would have impacted me as strongly as the Matrix did when I first saw it, I'd bet. Storytelling on this level about creation, life and death in the way that Square Enix did is very impressive. I'm almost inclined to think that Shigeru Miyamoto might have been inspired by FFVII's Lecture by Bugenhagen when he went about making the Creation of Hyrule cutscene in Ocarina of Time. That's only intuition and a guess telling me that, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if he drew inspiration from FFVII there

I'm rambling, but yea...memories of the past, being a kid playing these games and now knowing that there were games like this that I saw in stores and looked over for whatever reason. It's mindblowing in a sense. I was in the Toys R Us so many times and must have glanced at FFVII a lot, unknowingly looking over it or skimming over it like it wasn't worth the rent or buy haha. What a trip

EruditeHobo

Couldn't agree more... Cosmo Canyon trip was so epic. I wasn't as young as you might have been had you played it at the time, but even so... it had a major, major impact. It's the kind of storytelling in gaming, on this scale, with this scope and visual dynamism, that literally hadn't been done before. Pretty much.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Can Chocobos cross the ocean like the Buggy can? I’ve lost my crew’s buggy yet again. But it’s weird, somehow the buggy went with me on the Shinra Cargo Ship or something because when I went to the sea port town with Priscilla and Mr. Dolphin, my buggy was there on that part of the map to use

The greatest game of all time. FFVII is a timeless masterpiece.

The remake just takes the original and injected needless redundant BS into it. I mean it was fun and enjoyable to play, but only as far as seeing the original game's scenes reimagined in HD. If the remake was able to rely so heavily on nostalgia, it wouldn't be half as enjoyable an experience.

And yeah the whole ending with the fucking inexplicable BS with sephiroth... WTF was that about?

dwish

Can Chocobos cross the ocean like the Buggy can? I’ve lost my crew’s buggy yet again. But it’s weird, somehow the buggy went with me on the Shinra Cargo Ship or something because when I went to the sea port town with Priscilla and Mr. Dolphin, my buggy was there on that part of the map to use
Can't you see the buggy if you bring up the map to fullscreen? If you're on ps4, press the 'touchpad' button. The buggy should be a glowing dot.

K2D

Banned
The remake just takes the original and injected needless redundant BS into it. I mean it was fun and enjoyable to play, but only as far as seeing the original game's scenes reimagined in HD. If the remake was able to rely so heavily on nostalgia, it wouldn't be half as enjoyable an experience.

And yeah the whole ending with the fucking inexplicable BS with sephiroth... WTF was that about?
Remake happens chronologically after (for Sephiroth and Aerith) the event of FF7 and possibly Advent Children, or so the theory goes. The logic, I surmise, is that this allows further installments of remake to unfold in an unpredictable manner, possible undoing events of the original story..!

The greatest game of all time. FFVII is a timeless masterpiece.

Talking about (unbridled) nostalgia..

It's a flawed masterpiece I think.. I would say a masterpiece of it's time. But much can be achieved with a little bit of willful suspension of disbelief (and/or possibly mods).

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's kind of difficult to fully grasp the weight of this moment in the game and what it means to me as a gamer. Not that it's that serious, but I'm just thinking about it. I never played FFVII on the Playstation as a kid. At the time it was a bunch of random games and some greats too that I'd get into here and there. Roll Away, Desert Storm, Konami Classics, Jurassic Park, Spyro the Dragon, Tarzan The Movie game, Tekken, 2Xtreme, Road Rash, Gran Turismo 2, Crash Bandiccot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Gex, bunch of other little games here and there, etc. Thinking about playing FFVII at that time boggles my mind because I'm realizing that this game very likely would have changed my life in the same way OoT changed my life. This would have been that game that impacts my entire way of thinking and seeing things artistically and possibly even overall in life, too

Idk, I was only three or four when the Playstation came out and started playing the games when I was like four and half. They were all fun but fairly simple games. To know that a game like this was created and released before 1998 when Ocarina of Time was is a feat that stuns me. The words Professor Bugenhagen speaks would have impacted me as strongly as the Matrix did when I first saw it, I'd bet. Storytelling on this level about creation, life and death in the way that Square Enix did is very impressive. I'm almost inclined to think that Shigeru Miyamoto might have been inspired by FFVII's Lecture by Bugenhagen when he went about making the Creation of Hyrule cutscene in Ocarina of Time. That's only intuition and a guess telling me that, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if he drew inspiration from FFVII there

I'm rambling, but yea...memories of the past, being a kid playing these games and now knowing that there were games like this that I saw in stores and looked over for whatever reason. It's mindblowing in a sense. I was in the Toys R Us so many times and must have glanced at FFVII a lot, unknowingly looking over it or skimming over it like it wasn't worth the rent or buy haha. What a trip

Cosmo Canyon was great. Such a nice, different color palette for the area(s) it entails, and a different sort of ambience for the story beats. The theme, and Red's theme, as well, help convey along with the imagery a very tribal vibe, with respect for the bounties of nature above all else. That, and it's role as basically a rest spot for quirky outsiders who wish to get into Planet Study is also super cool. Like Native American/hippie culture all intertwined.

Another great thing is the fact that gadgets and machines and contemporary knowledge aren't looked down upon there, Bugenhagen has an observatory and some kind of hover pod thing, but it's science's yin to Shinra's yang. A co-existence of observable facts and logical applications alongside myths and spirituality, whereas Shinra as a company only respects these tenets in so far as taking them to literally be an unenlightened peoples' road map to natural resources.

Cosmo Canyon always seemed like such a subtle, clever dichotomy between opposing concepts. Capitalism and industry versus spirituality and environmentalism. Science versus faith. Life (Planet Study) versus death (The Gi, Seto, etc). The red sand and rock of the surface versus the shadows and green pools and webs of the Cavern below.

Also, throwing an X-Potion at Gi Nattak is fucking lol.

Remake happens chronologically after (for Sephiroth and Aerith) the event of FF7 and possibly Advent Children, or so the theory goes. The logic, I surmise, is that this allows further installments of remake to unfold in an unpredictable manner, possible undoing events of the original story..!

What does this even mean? How can the FFVII remake follow the events of the Midgar portion of FFVII while also taking place after the events of the entire FFVII (classic) game?

WTF kind of logic is that?

Neff

What does this even mean? How can the FFVII remake follow the events of the Midgar portion of FFVII while also taking place after the events of the entire FFVII (classic) game?

Time travel, or some metaphysical nonsense related to it. Aerith and Sephiroth know about and hint at future events, Cloud gets clairvoyant visions of post-Midgar scenes from the original game, and the enemy intel for the Whispers (in the English version at least) suggests they're from the future. There's some weird shit going on.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: K2D

Cutty Flam

Banned
Was able to get in contact with my team's buggy again. As expected, it was near the sea port town. The elder woman walking outside reminisces about how there used to be a lot of commercial success and how she misses the days when all they used to talk about was fish. Shinra is just ruining lives in this game, one after the other, it's surreal. Usually, I'm used to playing games where maybe a handful or so are fully aware, there are some who see the signs and will show their contempt towards the opposing force but in the game literally every place you can imagine is on the brink and Shinra has wholly taken over it seems. It's crazy. Almost every adult in the game is feeling the effects of Shinra in one way or another and you either know it to be true or see in, even if not stated or shown directly the corporation has infected all walks of life everywhere I go

Found a very interesting room in the overworld. I snapped a pic earlier and will have to share it and my thoughts on what to do

Even though I found my crew's buggy, I believe it's stuck in a place it shouldn't be. I cannot say for certain because I haven't ready or heard anything yet but there's this one character in a tent at Corel that hints at traveling South past a desert. That's on the Western portion of the world map, while I'm seemingly stuck in the East (or more accurately, the buggy is stuck over here on the Eastern portion of the world map)

K2D

Banned
Was able to get in contact with my team's buggy again. As expected, it was near the sea port town. The elder woman walking outside reminisces about how there used to be a lot of commercial success and how she misses the days when all they used to talk about was fish. Shinra is just ruining lives in this game, one after the other, it's surreal. Usually, I'm used to playing games where maybe a handful or so are fully aware, there are some who see the signs and will show their contempt towards the opposing force but in the game literally every place you can imagine is on the brink and Shinra has wholly taken over it seems. It's crazy. Almost every adult in the game is feeling the effects of Shinra in one way or another and you either know it to be true or see in, even if not stated or shown directly the corporation has infected all walks of life everywhere I go

Found a very interesting room in the overworld. I snapped a pic earlier and will have to share it and my thoughts on what to do

Even though I found my crew's buggy, I believe it's stuck in a place it shouldn't be. I cannot say for certain because I haven't ready or heard anything yet but there's this one character in a tent at Corel that hints at traveling South past a desert. That's on the Western portion of the world map, while I'm seemingly stuck in the East (or more accurately, the buggy is stuck over here on the Eastern portion of the world map)
I can't remember the buggy being useful in any other area than gold saucer/corel/Gongaga Village/Cosmo Canyon/Nibelheim..

You can get other, optional means of transportations later though..

If you got it with you across the pond, all the good it will do is serve as a tease for future minor sidequest.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
I laughed so hard when I scrolled down and saw the gif.

I actually liked 8 a bit more than 7 but that's my own personal preference. I also think FF7R is an amazing game and does not take away from the original, there are some that would dare say it is (gasp) better.

K2D

Banned
Managed to get my buggy back. All I had to do was roll into town while still in the thing. Never knew. Usually I’d park it next to the town or wherever before heading to an area
Contextual reason/justification for the industrial spec elevators at Junon Harbor..! Who would've known..? That's Shin-ra for you!

The Wire Roland Brice GIF

Last edited:
Time travel, or some metaphysical nonsense related to it. Aerith and Sephiroth know about and hint at future events, Cloud gets clairvoyant visions of post-Midgar scenes from the original game, and the enemy intel for the Whispers (in the English version at least) suggests they're from the future. There's some weird shit going on.
Yeah, it's fucking daft.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I'm a big fan of Yuffie, even though we just met. I don't know her story, but admire her confidence and strength to be taking on the likes of Cloud, Barret, Nanaki in a 1v3 battle and still wishing to go further after defeat. She's a strong warrior and I was excited when she joined the crew. I actually failed the first day when we first faced her in the jungle. Tried like seven or eight times and had to go for it the next gaming session. It probably took me a dozen maybe thirteen to fourteen attempts lulz

Cutty Flam

Banned
Was stuck for maybe two weeks trying to figure out where I need to go next. Can't even say how many battles I've fought in the field and how many times my crew has circled the map in search for a clue. It was clear that Mt. Nibel was most likely the hot spot to search but several times I looked and found nothing. Today, finally found the way and we're one step closer to where we need to be

Cloud found Vincent in a coffin wasting away in his sorrows and regrets but he reluctantly he joined our crew eventually. He has ties to Shinra, Sephiroth, even Sephiroth's own biological mother. Besides Barret he seems to be the biggest member of the crew and definitely the tallest

Currently we're in Shanghai Village, where a failed Shinra Rocket is the focal point of the village. There's a Captain I gotta meet here and next session I'll explore more and seek out this guy. His dream was to go to space but now it's said that he just talks about visiting and being in outer space now

Krathoon

You people and yer FF7 mods. Leave the game alone. I actually need to make images of my original discs and run them in Duckstation.

SSfox

Yeah i don't like those Mods but it was to be excepted, outside of few exceptions, like the Advent Children are kinda neat.

dwish

They really play up the Jesse character in the Remake. The Remake adds more to the characters.
That's what made it for me. And some fan service like the parachuting and actually being able to see the sky of Midgar. The overly long "dungeons" was a letdown, more than the side quests, for me.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Right now my characters are fairly even level wise. Cloud is level 42, Vincent 40, Barret might be 39 or 40, Tifa, Nanaki, Aeris, Cait Sith, Yuffie are all close to level 40 maybe 38-39s

The Midgar Zolath or whatever that huge snake monster is called is of no concern at this point, that’s how strong we’ve become. But I’d say that we’re at about the right level for the game, if not only slightly ahead in battle experience. Had I played FFVII on the PS1 as a kid there’s no doubt, I’d have been stuck most likely for a month trying to find Shanghai Village and probably around level 50-54 by the time I’d reach the destination

The crew as a whole is very interesting. Still can’t believe we have a gambling, talking cat that sits atop a fairy fighting beside us

All in all, right now I’m just extremely glad we found the next spot we needed to visit next. Must have traveled the sea from Costa Del Sol to the old Port Town about eight times and back. Just looking all over the overworld for any kind of item or clue that would open the door at the Mako Reactor in Mt. Nibel

Here is a secluded or secret spot in a cave or hideout in the overworld. This character is odd. Got a feeling he’s hiding something or has a story to tell. But I couldn’t crack the code even after five minutes of trying, thinking

F3PILmE.jpg
UTkzAP1.jpg

dgrrKSY.jpg

Gl8Vzzk.jpg

The spot where Tifa’s father was killed by Sephiroth

Square merging with Enix was a mistake.
I don't think the Enix DNA is to blame. They just lost their touch and would have regardless.

FFVII was the beggining of the end for Final Fantasy and Squaresoft. It was probably too successful and the people at the helm instantly misunderstood what made it great.

It sure wasn't the teen angst, underage waifus or the Nomura designs. Shit that still plagues FF to this day.

FFIX was a fluke (based Sakaguchi), everything else was part of a downward spiral.

Last edited:
Top Bottom