• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Gran Turismo 7 - Should I get a Racing Wheel? I should get a Racing Wheel. Should I get a Racing Wheel?

SCB3

Firs off, where was this game hiding? I picked it up on sale this week with some coupons I got from the Playstation Stars thing so a nice £20 and I've been having a blast, this game looks at feels amazing to the point where I'm actually considering a wheel for it!

So far after a good 10 hours I have a lot of money built up and nearly done with the first mission chain (The Mountain) and have the National A license (how the fuck people are getting Golds in this is unreal). My only real issue is that any stock or prize car you get is never good enough for first place in the cups, I've found I've needed to spend money on tuning upgrades first

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you can afford it, yes, the Logitech G Pro direct drive. Especially for the force feedback that does a great job mimicking the haptics, etc, in the DualSense.

I've been in no rush to get a wheel, since it works so good on the controller with this game, but will eventually.

Rippa

Even the cheapest wheel and pedal option absolutely trumps controlling a vehicle with a controller.

Get a wheel and pedal combo, with shifter if possible!

You’ll enjoy the racing that much more!

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Thrustmaster T300
Best "cheapest" option you can get.
I have the Xbox variant it is awesome.
You can even upgrade it to other wheel variants or pedals etc.

Aenima

My only real issue is that any stock or prize car you get is never good enough for first place in the cups, I've found I've needed to spend money on tuning upgrades first
Just buy better tires, most stock cars come with pretty shity tires with little grip, get some racing soft or medium tires and you will be already being much faster in the corners. Thers no need to go crazy with tunning to get 1st place in the GT Café menu races. They are all quite easy.

Dont forget to turn off all the driving assists. Driving assists make you much slower. Just keep the ABS and if a car has too much horsepower and you find its rear drifting too much just turn the Traction Control System (TCS) to 1 or 2. You can adjust the traction control in real time during a race using the D pad to cicle through some settings.

Last edited:

SCB3

Just buy better tires, most stock cars come with pretty shity tires with little grip, get some racing soft or medium tires and you will be already being much faster in the corners. Thers no need to go crazy with tunning to get 1st place in the GT Café menu races. They are all quite easy.

Dont forget to turn off all the driving assists. Driving assists make you much slower. Just keep the ABS and if a car has too much horsepower and you find its rear drifting too much just turn the Traction Control System (TCS) to 1 or 2. You can adjust the traction crontrol in real time during a race using the D pad to cicle through some settings.
God yes! I have the Brake assist on for longer than I care to admit as I forgot to turn it off (it was on by default for some reason despite me choosing Intermediate) and it literally cost me races (Forest Speedway in the French Hot Hatch Menu for example) as it slowed me down far too much on corners

I got one. A good starting point for me was an old Thrustmaster T150 on sale for $100 plus a premium, heavy foldable GT Omega Apex racing stand. Pair it with an Ikea Poang chair and a foam block mod for the brake pedal.

I'll wait to see the market mature for premium wheels on consoles with cross compatibility. Right now it's Fanatec, but there are quality issues and the force feedback isn't a leep in GT7 Ive heard. I will see how good the next Forza is and decide the wheel from there. Logitech and Thrustmaster now have premium models for PC.

The wheel setup has been an amazing experience, like nothing else in gaming. It may ruin other games which are abstracted. Racing with a wheel is just the activity itself and among the most fun hobbies (motorsports...and that is prohibitively expensive in real life).

It taught me to be lighter when braking, which helped me understand the Dual Sense which is really well done once you get what it is telling you.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I got my first wheel earlier this year for GT7 and have no regrets.

Went with a Logitech G29 and also got a GT Omega stand for it.

Guilty_AI

I've had a wheel once and while they're pretty amazing, its really important you have a proper set up for it.
Make sure you have a special dedicated place where you can set it up and leave there for whenever you want to use it. Otherwise if you must set it up and out every time you want to play it'll quickly become a pain, especially if you don't play driving sims very often and also plays other stuff.

Last edited:
I think every new generation of gamers should learn the hard way and buy a wheel and a flight stick. Use them for a year then trip over them for a few more years as they sit unused or broken until you move and finally throw them out.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I bought a G29 for Christmas and actually tested it out with GT7 today and it works fabulously. It's an excellent wheel in general. I didn't hook it up to my PS5 until today because I just had so much fun playing Forza Horizon 5, Euro Truck Simulator 2, and Project Cars 2 in VR, all of which felt really smooth, responsive and comfy with that wheel. But with Gran Turismo, being a game for which G29 and its predecessors were practically tailor-made for, it's absolutely beautiful just how much more fun it is to play compared to a gamepad.

Just be sure that this is something that you'll be doing on a regular basis because it's a fairly expensive wheel, and the latest version doesn't even come with a stick out of the box so you have to drop extra cash on it if you really need it. Wouldn't make much sense to drop that kind of money on a racing setup if you're only gonna use it like twice a year.

Firs off, where was this game hiding? I picked it up on sale this week with some coupons I got from the Playstation Stars thing so a nice £20 and I've been having a blast, this game looks at feels amazing to the point where I'm actually considering a wheel for it!

So far after a good 10 hours I have a lot of money built up and nearly done with the first mission chain (The Mountain) anid have the National A license (how the fuck people are getting Golds in this is unreal). My only real issue is that any stock or prize car you get is never good enough for first place in the cups, I've found I've needed to spend money on tuning upgrades first
Any racing experience will be more immersive with a wheel, that's pretty much a given.

The problem, as I see it, is it is an expensive hobby to get into and so you must decide if you want to commit to it.

I say expensive because if you want anything half decent it is going to set you back hundreds at minimum.

SCB3

Any racing experience will be more immersive with a wheel, that's pretty much a given.

The problem, as I see it, is it is an expensive hobby to get into and so you must decide if you want to commit to it.

I say expensive because if you want anything half decent it is going to set you back hundreds at minimum.
Oh god yea, I looked into the Logitech g29 that some people have commented with and for a standard wheel or beginner setup, £350 is a lot to put down atm,

SCB3

Too bad there is no wheel as far as I'm aware that will work with all 3: PC, Series X, and PS5.
Yea its PC and PS or Xbox and PC, thats the issues I like Forza as well, I guess if I upgrade my PC I could use it for Xbox as well

Mung

I've left wheels behind. I find it a barrier to playing as with my setup I have to drag it out each time. Plus I'm faster with the pad.

Dualsense is excellent for GT7. Even better with motion controls I find. That got me up to driver rating A.

Last edited:

Markio128

Too bad there is no wheel as far as I'm aware that will work with all 3: PC, Series X, and PS5.
Yeah, that is really frustrating. There is a peripheral you can buy that allows you to use one wheel on multiple consoles, but I don’t like the idea of the extra wires needed.

TrebleShot

Just to mirror what others have said ,

1- amazing game , people scoff at it for being a simcade, truth is it’s bloody good , immaculately presented and the driving model no matter realistic/ unrealistic is best in the business.

2- I got a T300 with a pretty sturdy rig not long after launch , the experience is unrivalled BUT having to lug out a wheel setup the few times I’ve played with it is a real pain in the arse and a complete chore. I’ve slung mine in storage - playing with a dualsense is absolutely good enough and enjoyable , some of the haptics are better than a basic wheel.

Markio128

Just to mirror what others have said ,

1- amazing game , people scoff at it for being a simcade, truth is it’s bloody good , immaculately presented and the driving model no matter realistic/ unrealistic is best in the business.

2- I got a T300 with a pretty sturdy rig not long after launch , the experience is unrivalled BUT having to lug out a wheel setup the few times I’ve played with it is a real pain in the arse and a complete chore. I’ve slung mine in storage - playing with a dualsense is absolutely good enough and enjoyable , some of the haptics are better than a basic wheel.
I second this. I do enjoy it when I whip out the wheel now and again, but playing with the dualsense is still awesome.

Oh god yea, I looked into the Logitech g29 that some people have commented with and for a standard wheel or beginner setup, £350 is a lot to put down atm,
Definitely.

Even the entry level racing rigs can be thousands.

Obviously, you are talking about a wheel and pedal set - but even a good one of those can be up to and over a grand.

It's not a cheap hobby, and so you have to think about whether you are really that invested.

Plus, I guarantee you that you'll become more interested in sim racing and will eventually want to experience something more sophisticated like I-Racing or AC...and then you are hooked.

Don't get me wrong, a wheel is great, but maybe try to pick one up cheap or even second hand just to see what you think before committing any more money.

Last edited:

SCB3

So playing a few more hours in and I'm starting to see some bad things here, and some good:

Let's start with the bad:

• The cars you get are not good enough at stock to compete and you always need to upgrade them somewhat, sometimes this is fine as its a minor upgrade, but sometimes its very costly, I'll explain why in a moment where this was an issue
  • So there is an early cup, the Mountain Freeway I think its called, that is for American Muscle cars, now looking at the other cars on the Track, the best looks to be a 2010 Dodge Viper SRT, a fantastic and fast car, the best car I have for this race is a 2016 Chevy Camaro, not bad but needs to upgrades
    • To even get it to be competitive in this race I needed to spend a good 60,000 or so, the Dodge Viper was worth 120,000 from the showroom and I only had 100,000 anyway (money is a bit tight in the early game)
    • This brings me to my next point, every race is a Rolling start, meaning that you start the race already moving, so cold start acceleration is completely pointless to upgrade and you always start at the back of the Pack
      • Because of this Rolling start and starting at the back, in this race 12th, the cars at the front at at least a quarter of the lap in front of you, and this is a very corner heavy track so theres little to no chance of catching until on of the 2 long straights, its just unfair at that point
Nothing too major, but annoying, now for the good

• The Licenses! This suprised me and these were a bane of my childhood playing GT 1- 4, but spending time learnign these and applying the lessons, they've actually taught me how to actually race! Before I was very aggressive, speeding round corners, braking and hoping for the best or another car to bang into, now I know how to actually take corners well and with more practice I've been getting Golds and good race times
  • I like the Menu system from the Cafe, I can see where the love was put into this game here and the history of some of these brands is really interesting

SLB1904

Banned
If you can afford it. Direct wheel is a no brainer.
So playing a few more hours in and I'm starting to see some bad things here, and some good:

Let's start with the bad:

• The cars you get are not good enough at stock to compete and you always need to upgrade them somewhat, sometimes this is fine as its a minor upgrade, but sometimes its very costly, I'll explain why in a moment where this was an issue
  • So there is an early cup, the Mountain Freeway I think its called, that is for American Muscle cars, now looking at the other cars on the Track, the best looks to be a 2010 Dodge Viper SRT, a fantastic and fast car, the best car I have for this race is a 2016 Chevy Camaro, not bad but needs to upgrades
    • To even get it to be competitive in this race I needed to spend a good 60,000 or so, the Dodge Viper was worth 120,000 from the showroom and I only had 100,000 anyway (money is a bit tight in the early game)
    • This brings me to my next point, every race is a Rolling start, meaning that you start the race already moving, so cold start acceleration is completely pointless to upgrade and you always start at the back of the Pack
      • Because of this Rolling start and starting at the back, in this race 12th, the cars at the front at at least a quarter of the lap in front of you, and this is a very corner heavy track so theres little to no chance of catching until on of the 2 long straights, its just unfair at that point
Nothing too major, but annoying, now for the good

• The Licenses! This suprised me and these were a bane of my childhood playing GT 1- 4, but spending time learnign these and applying the lessons, they've actually taught me how to actually race! Before I was very aggressive, speeding round corners, braking and hoping for the best or another car to bang into, now I know how to actually take corners well and with more practice I've been getting Golds and good race times
  • I like the Menu system from the Cafe, I can see where the love was put into this game here and the history of some of these brands is really interesting

You are doing this wrong. In fact your are wasting money. Just do the cafe missions for now and the license test. Don't spend any money until you finish the cafe. You'll get loads of cars and money by doing those. If you want a quick million just do one easy circuit experience mission

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well this sucks, now that they announced the vr version, you have to now for sure buy:

- A wheel
- driving seat
- psvr 2

SCB3

If you can afford it. Direct wheel is a no brainer.

You are doing this wrong. In fact your are wasting money. Just do the cafe missions for now and the license test. Don't spend any money until you finish the cafe. You'll get loads of cars and money by doing those. If you want a quick million just do one easy circuit experience mission
Its part of the Cafe missions

Crayon

Well this sucks, now that they announced the vr version, you have to now for sure buy:

- A wheel
- driving seat
- psvr 2

Good job you've ruined the game for yourself overthinking it.

Play the game and see if you want to buy some gear to go with it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why do you have to? I'm playing fine with just the Dual Sense controller
Hey if you want to play in one dimension with limited controls, that's fine.

Just kidding.....though a vr setup with wheel would be fun.......

Top Bottom