• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Halo 5

kikkis

My expectations for Halo 5 were pretty low. I had played halo 4 quite the bit on laptop, but that game wasn't exactly thrilling. Also based on reviews and user opinions from when it was released I had gotten the impression this was quite lackluster game. Honestly this game felt lot like critics and users darling Doom, but Halo 5 doesnt have those annoying constant glory kills, and Halo also delivers on environments and high stakes story even if it wasn't the best of its kind.

+Graphics and art style. This felt like a proper scifi game and despite the infamous "price of 60fps" by Digital foundry I thought this game had great graphics, especially for 60fps Xbone game. Took a lot of screenshots on this game
+Gunfights were really good
+Some people really disliked the warden fights, but I didn't mind them. I didn't treat them as boss fights but just another fight, and dashing behind them to get few shots with scattershot was quite fun in fact.
+difficulty balancing was decent on normal for my rushy skillset. Sometimes I felt checkpoints could have happened more frequently.

-Triggers had a bad mechanic where, if you lift a bit when holding it stops shooting. This was really bad decision and made me much prefer non automatic weapons.
-Ads was pretty much useless, sensitivity was too high on that and the "get damage cancels ads" was odd. Either improve it, to provide more ranged combat options or remove it entirely in favor of a another mechanic.
-First two levels were quite bad, and I was getting acquainted to the game mechanics which didn't initially seem all that and almost dropped the game, glad I didn't.

+/- Story had some good moments, but for my simple mind I sometimes forgot what I was supposed to do other than reach chief. Cliffhanger ending was pretty dumb move.

Both gears 4 and this have 84 metacritic, while gears 4 was alright game, I really enjoyed Halo 5, solid 9/10. Confusing story was the main bad point in terms of rating.

Vagswarm

The biggest problem I had with the game, as with Gears at times, is that the AI wouldn't revive you at some real important moments even though they were literally standing right there. Can't depend on AI to do its job as companions.

I don't think 4 (especially) and 5 are nearly as bad as people make them out to be, but that's just my opinion. 4 was more fun for me than Reach while replaying the MCC earlier this year, although the end of Reach was amazing (and sad). Wouldn't mind trying 5 again but it's not on the PC. I don't remember it being that great at the time though.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Campaign was decent, but definitely worse than any previous Halo - largely due to the fact that the vehicle sections were a bit meh.

Multiplayer however, was (and still is) amazing. Defo got my money’s worth with Halo 5. I doff my hat to it!

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Terrible game

mike colter marvel GIF by NETFLIX

clarky

Gold Member
Halo 5 sucked.

That last Halo game I played with was Halo 4. After that, to me, the rest isn't canon.

How do you know it sucked if you never played it? And whose this plum and why would I sit though 5 videos telling why I shouldn't enjoy a game? It would be easier to find out for yourself.

Ah wait you did play it, confused. Point stands though, that guys painful.

Anyway I thought it was decent.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
How do you know it sucked if you never played it? And whose this plum and why would I sit though 5 videos telling why I shouldn't enjoy a game? It would be easier to find out for yourself.

Ah wait you did play it, confused. Point stands though, that guys painful.

Anyway I thought it was decent.
I did play it. 2 missions in I quit and went back to playing Destiny. Now that Destiny 2 sucks I'm looking forward to playing Halo Infinite. Hopefully, that doesn't suck.

clarky

Gold Member
I did play it. 2 missions in I quit and went back to playing Destiny. Now that Destiny 2 sucks I'm looking forward to playing Halo Infinite. Hopefully, that doesn't suck.
I still had fun with the campaign, worst halo but still a decent FPS.

Loved Arena though it was great.

Looking forward to infinite also.

The absolute worst campaign but the worst Halo is still a decent FPS.

I enjoyed the gameplay and it looked pretty good but nobody shut up for more than a few minutes at a time and by the end I hated every single character. Nothing more annoying than listening to a completely boring conversation between a group of super soldiers and a crazy AI in the middle of a huge battle. If I play it again I'm turning the dialogue slider all the way down.

I beat the game solo legendary back when it came out. Whoever designed the prometheans and the stupid warden boss fights can go burn in a fire. Shit game design. Shit story. Decent gameplay, but overall trash Halo game that was better off being a spin off.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

The absolute worst campaign but the worst Halo is still a decent FPS.

I enjoyed the gameplay and it looked pretty good but nobody shut up for more than a few minutes at a time and by the end I hated every single character. Nothing more annoying than listening to a completely boring conversation between a group of super soldiers and a crazy AI in the middle of a huge battle. If I play it again I'm turning the dialogue slider all the way down.
Now I kind of want to play it again just to see how bad this really is. lol Don't remember much about the game.

Fredrik

The biggest problem I had with the game, as with Gears at times, is that the AI wouldn't revive you even though they were literally standing right there. Can't depend on AI to do its job as companions.
I suck at first person shooters but to me it felt like the AI revive was an afterthought coming from how easy it was to get insta-killed by something that wasn’t even on screen. I died so many times without hint that it was about to happen.
Why not scrap the AI revive and have an almost-killed mechanic instead? The perspective is terrible for insta-kill scenarios. Imagine a side-scrolling shmup where an enemy outside of the screen can blast you to bits - ZAP! Dead 💀 Wait, that can actually happen, but then you can usually memorize when and where an off screen laser is shooting.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Ads does nothing but zoom the screen in with non precision weapons. With precision weapons, damage descoping you is a pretty big part of the game in multi.

Rival

Gold Member
By far the worst campaign but I still had a decent time with it. I loved 4 so it was a big letdown after that.

Havoc2049

To me, Halo 5 was the worst of all the Halo campaigns and in the FPS genre, it was slightly below average. Big let down after a cool marketing campaign.

It went down hill from the get go with the eye rolling intro movie where Team Osiris is out running Covenant vehicles, smashing through large boulders with one punch, destroying vehicles and tanks with one punch and taking out a whole Covenant strike force in the blink of an eye. I almost felt like, "Well, they don't need me to play this game, as Team Osiris all have the powers of comic book super heroes now and can take out the remnants of the Covenant, the Prometheans and Blue Team with ease". The team AI and chatter was also horrible and frustrating and felt light years away from the awesome team AI in Reach. I was geeked to finally play a Halo game with Blue Team, but there was zero character development and they all felt like soulless NPCs. Almost zero humor in the game and many of the characters were basically annoying and unlikable. The only thing that made the game average at best, was the production values (especially the music and cut scenes) and the epic sci-fi setting.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I remember playing Halo 5 on Game Pass that I got for 1 EUR and still not being able to shake the feeling that I'm getting robbed. Robbed of my time on this earth.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Halo 5 is probably the worst shooter I've ever played if we're speaking about the campaign

The prometheans weren't fun to fight and their weapons were boring, it made me wish that there were only Covenant and human weapons spread throughout the levels

The only level I really enjoyed was Sanghelios or however you spell it

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Halo 5 was the most generic sci-fi shooter I've ever played, to the point where I literally forgot what game I was playing in Chapter 13. I sat there for 3 full minutes trying to remember which game I was playing.
Have you played co-op with Alzheimer?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out this Legendary difficulty speedrun of Halo 5: Guardians by streamer distro as developer Brie Chin-Deyerle (Senior Gameplay Engineering Lead) breaks down what exactly happened during Halo 5's story in the leadup to Halo Infinite.

Both destiny games were complete fucking shit. First didn't even have a story at launch which is pretty incredible considering the gunplay was generic AF with generic sponge bosses.. One of the biggest disappointments in gaming coming off of halo and bragging about being independent beforehand just to deliver a piece of shit.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

00:00 Intro
00:37 Extra
02:04 The Xbox One STRUGGLE
03:48 Halo 5 Positives
04:09 Graphics
07:08 AWFUL Story
13:21 Disappointing Music
15:17 Gameplay
20:00 Awesome Multiplayer
27:10 Warzone & REQ Packs
28:38 Awkward Controls
29:21 Conclusion
29:47 Outro

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Yea A lot of people disliked it but I really did like Halo 5. To be honest I do think the ending and the marketing hurt the game more than anything. While I would have prefered more of Cheif and company I actually some what liked Locke's team.

SpokkX

Campaign was a fine shooter but a BAD Halo

Multi was actually good overall - one of the better Halos (lacked good BTB but warzone was fun)

The story was, by far, the worst Halo story

Glad to say Infinite is better in every single way

Last edited:
Top Bottom