• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Hey Listen!

SCB3

Now the Ice Cavern, this is much better! Where was this helpful info from Navi earlier, didn't struggle at all and made sure to keep a couple of Blue Fire Bottles (lucky really as I unfroze King Zora) and now on to the dreaded Water Temple!

Already I see an issue with the Boots and pausing the game

SCB3

FKD_HjKVkAET1xi

I am loving this Temple a lot, apparently this room was fixed recently, it does look impressive, I can see this in UE5 in a remake (pls Nintendo!)

Spaceman292

Banned
In my opinion, the only proper way to experience this majestic game is using an original N64 controller. To the extent that it's better to play it on an original N64 while suffering video issues, just for this one important feature.

You could also get a third party USB 64 controller for like $15 and emulate it. But I can guarantee the aiming accuracy will never feel better than on a real 64 with an official wired controller. The C buttons are also crucial for item mapping simplicity and more importantly ocarina playing.

This is just about the only game I have such a strong opinion on requiring a specific controller (aside from MM obv.)
Or for a similar experience, just squirt lemon juice into your eyes, snap both your thumbs and play an emulated version, for that *authentic* experience.

Batiman

Banned
So this runs pretty good on switch? How’s the frame rate and res? Was thinking about doing another run of the goat but don’t want to 3DS it

SCB3

So this runs pretty good on switch? How’s the frame rate and res? Was thinking about doing another run of the goat but don’t want to 3DS it

Seems to be fine, apparently the last update the Emulator had to add Banjo last week has fixed the Input lag and some other issues, I've not encountered any issues tbh

BlackTron

That's correct, and not planning to ever.

At least I gave actual reasons for my stance - you're just being flippant with nothing of substance to add to the conversation.

You don't realize it, but your position is like saying Xbox 360 is better than an NES controller for old Mario games. Superficially, your argument appears to make sense -360 is sooo much newer and fancier and more advanced a controller, right?

But then anyone who actually knows what they're talking about and was actually there will just laugh at the person who "knows" 360 is better than NES pad for this game despite having "never used it and not planning to".

A joke.

At least I gave actual reasons for my stance - you're just being flippant with nothing of substance to add to the conversation.

You don't realize it, but your position is like saying Xbox 360 is better than an NES controller for old Mario games. Superficially, your argument appears to make sense -360 is sooo much newer and fancier and more advanced a controller, right?

But then anyone who actually knows what they're talking about and was actually there will just laugh at the person who "knows" 360 is better than NES pad for this game despite having "never used it and not planning to".

A joke.
You're taking this way more seriously than anyone ever should. It's like me not wanting to use an N64 controller is equivalent to kicking your puppy or something, in your eyes. Calm down 😂

I've used the N64 controller on other games, just not on OoT, back during the lifetime of that generation of consoles (PS1/Saturn/N64). And I didn't like the controller. So, after my experience with the controller, I won't be using it on Ocarina of Time. Or on anything else for that matter.

And, if instead of getting all worked up you had actually read my posts, you'd understand that I prefer playing N64 games with a GameCube controller on the Wii Virtual Console. Main reason? GameCube controller is ergonomically superior. End. Of. Story.

It's that simple. Why would you throw a hissy fit over the opinion of an internet rando?

Cheers, bro! 👍🏽

Last edited:
Anyway getting back to the main topic...
Dreaded Water Temple done, its not as bad as it was made out, annoying boot swapping was fine really, I've played RPGs with worse mechanics tbh
I agree with you, before I fully played OoT I kept reading how the Water Temple was the worst thing ever. Maybe it's because I went in with low expectations for that dungeon specifically, but in the end... It wasn't that bad at all. (Granted, I first played the 3DS remaster so I don't know if the Water Temple was improved for that, compared to the original N64 version...)

fart town usa

Gold Member
WqIinR2.jpg
vHulkA1.jpg

I was like 13 when OOT released, played it day 1. I always forget these lines from Shiek but man they really add to it. The whole time travel thing, playing it as an adult really does transport you back some years and just kind of adds to the game.

And the music playing during it. lol. Nintendo really did create something magical with this game.

Well said with the Water Temple, it's really not that bad. It can be, but as long as you complete each floor before moving on, the dungeon flows nicely. I saved the game at the entrance of it tonight, gonna tackle it tomorrow of friday.

3DS made the water level signs stand out more. They kind of blend into the wall in N64.

Last edited:

SCB3

Anyway getting back to the main topic...

I agree with you, before I fully played OoT I kept reading how the Water Temple was the worst thing ever. Maybe it's because I went in with low expectations for that dungeon specifically, but in the end... It wasn't that bad at all. (Granted, I first played the 3DS remaster so I don't know if the Water Temple was improved for that, compared to the original N64 version...)
The Iron boots can be set on a shortcut and be swapped with the Touch screen makes is a great QoL change imo, it’s also much clearer regarding signage and Color coding stuff than in the Original version

I remember seeing reviews about this part

Anyway, today I could finish the game, I only have a few smaller dungeons to go, aiming to finish by the weekend and then it’s Pokémon Arceus time

SCB3

That Bongo Bongo is a bit of a cunt huh? Couple of tries and thats the hardest part so far, used arrows to stun both hands and then destroyed the eye

getting there....

fart town usa

Gold Member
That Bongo Bongo is a bit of a cunt huh? Couple of tries and thats the hardest part so far, used arrows to stun both hands and then destroyed the eye

getting there....
That was the one boss that gave me hell when I was a kid. I had to have my buddy beat him for me. And yes, I felt deep amounts of shame because of it, lol.

The game is so easy to me now though with being used to the game mechanics and whatnot. I think it's really cool that you're playing it for the first time.

SCB3

That was the one boss that gave me hell when I was a kid. I had to have my buddy beat him for me. And yes, I felt deep amounts of shame because of it, lol.

The game is so easy to me now though with being used to the game mechanics and whatnot. I think it's really cool that you're playing it for the first time.
To be honest most of the difficulty I've had is due the to camera, I give it a lot of leeway due to its age and what it was made for, same as Mario 64,

It is gripping me, I originally was going to slowly go through and aim for a dungeon a day, but even now I'm thinking about playing it late as I'm off work tomorrow

It does bode well for a replay of Majoras Mask when it comes to Switch though, although I'm half considering grabbing the 3DS versions at some point

fart town usa

Gold Member
To be honest most of the difficulty I've had is due the to camera, I give it a lot of leeway due to its age and what it was made for, same as Mario 64,

It is gripping me, I originally was going to slowly go through and aim for a dungeon a day, but even now I'm thinking about playing it late as I'm off work tomorrow

It does bode well for a replay of Majoras Mask when it comes to Switch though, although I'm half considering grabbing the 3DS versions at some point
Nice. I started a game in MM the other night via the WiiU, I've played it a bit over the years but it's never connected with me. Furthest I've made it was beating the first dungeon boss. It's probably the one game I really want to stick with cause people speak so highly of it. Hard to make time for it right now cause I'm having so much fun with chipping away at OOT and then after those sessions, I usually do some PSVR cause that's new to me as of last week. I got the WiiU gamepad next to the bed though so I'll get back to MM at some point.

SCB3

Nice. I started a game in MM the other night via the WiiU, I've played it a bit over the years but it's never connected with me. Furthest I've made it was beating the first dungeon boss. It's probably the one game I really want to stick with cause people speak so highly of it. Hard to make time for it right now cause I'm having so much fun with chipping away at OOT and then after those sessions, I usually do some PSVR cause that's new to me as of last week. I got the WiiU gamepad next to the bed though so I'll get back to MM at some point.
I loved MM a lot back in 2000 ish when I played it, I replayed it on Wii U about, oooh, 7 years ago maybe, still holds up.

The only other Zelda game I need to finish is Skyward Sword, I got a few hours in on the Switch version, I only wish we got a new collection on switch though, it'd be nice to have them all here

fart town usa

Gold Member
I loved MM a lot back in 2000 ish when I played it, I replayed it on Wii U about, oooh, 7 years ago maybe, still holds up.

The only other Zelda game I need to finish is Skyward Sword, I got a few hours in on the Switch version, I only wish we got a new collection on switch though, it'd be nice to have them all here
Skyward Sword can be tough to play. There's a lot of great things about it but just as many things that drag it down.

I was like 90% through it when it first released but I just became fed up with it and moved on. Started it via the Wii U about a year ago and am again towards the end. I was enjoying it much more the 2nd time but it still can be a slog. I need to get back to it.

My advice, be patient with it because you'll likely get frustrated as shit at times, especially with some of the fetch quests in the later parts of the game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Oh, forgot to mention that with OOT, the initial run of the game features different music in the Fire Temple and also has a star/crescent symbol that was eventually replaced. The N64 cart I own is a repro, I could tell the moment it arrived from ebay. The cool thing is that it's the OG version. The changes are inconsequential but neat all the same to have a copy of it.

I think Nintendo was concerned about the game potentially offending people in the Middle East, or in Turkey. Original is up top, replacement is on bottom.

iu

Original Fire Temple music.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I tackled the Water Temple last night, only had to back track twice but wasn't anything head scratching. I will say though, the Water Temple boss fight was incredibly underwhelming. I remember most aspects of the game but also don't remember certain things, easily the weakest fight so far.

I could go to the Shadow Temple but I'm actually gonna go and free the carpenter's from the Gerudo Fortress, I feel like I should be able to do that cause I can make it across the bridge now. Trying to see which things I can do out of order. Mostly just want to get the gold gauntlet so I can visit the fairy near Ganon's Castle.

SCB3

I tackled the Water Temple last night, only had to back track twice but wasn't anything head scratching. I will say though, the Water Temple boss fight was incredibly underwhelming. I remember most aspects of the game but also don't remember certain things, easily the weakest fight so far.

I could go to the Shadow Temple but I'm actually gonna go and free the carpenter's from the Gerudo Fortress, I feel like I should be able to do that cause I can make it across the bridge now. Trying to see which things I can do out of order. Mostly just want to get the gold gauntlet so I can visit the fairy near Ganon's Castle.

I did that last night, onto the actual last tower now, I have everything but Ice Arrows and 1 bottle (and the last Skulltula prize, but fuck that) its been very enjoyable, my Pokemon Legends isn't coming until tomorrow so gonna finish it off tonight, I'm gonna miss it

I am gonna replay this in a few years, hopefully a remake or they 3DS port though, if only to see the differences

Oh for mw the music is incredible, most Zelda games are, but this track especailly is my favorite in OoT

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I did that last night, onto the actual last tower now, I have everything but Ice Arrows and 1 bottle (and the last Skulltula prize, but fuck that) its been very enjoyable, my Pokemon Legends isn't coming until tomorrow so gonna finish it off tonight, I'm gonna miss it

I am gonna replay this in a few years, hopefully a remake or they 3DS port though, if only to see the differences

Oh for mw the music is incredible, most Zelda games are, but this track especailly is my favorite in OoT

Yea, screw the last bottle, I've never bothered to get the Poe's needed for it. The 3DS version is good, owned it when it first released. If you're able to play it on a 3DS, the gyro aiming is awesome in it. Works incredibly well. It also looks great on emulators based on the footage I've seen.

I think the ice arrows are the prize from the horseback archery mini game at the Gerudo Fortress, it was an absolute nightmare getting it on the Wii U because of the control sensitivity issue. Or maybe they're the prize in the Gerudo dungeon mini-game? Can't remember. I'm really excited for the Spirit Temple though cause that's the part of the game that I have about zero memory of. Same with Ganon's castle. I play through about 75% of the game every few years but never finish it for whatever reason. I will this time though cause I've been capturing it all for my channel.

Last edited:

SCB3

Yea, screw the last bottle, I've never bothered to get the Poe's needed for it. The 3DS version is good, owned it when it first released. If you're able to play it on a 3DS, the gyro aiming is awesome in it. Works incredibly well. It also looks great on emulators based on the footage I've seen.

I think the ice arrows are the prize from the horseback archery mini game at the Gerudo Fortress, it was an absolute nightmare getting it on the Wii U because of the control sensitivity issue. Or maybe they're the prize in the Gerudo dungeon mini-game? Can't remember. I'm really excited for the Spirit Temple though cause that's the part of the game that I have about zero memory of. Same with Ganon's castle. I play through about 75% of the game every few years but never finish it for whatever reason. I will this time though cause I've been capturing it all for my channel.
The Ice Arrows are the Reward for the Gerudo Dungeon that you can only do before Ganons Castle

Last edited:

dave_d

I'm the same. I played it originally on the N64 and got up to I think the Gerudo fortress and stopped because I never got the arrow upgrades and I'd run out of arrows trying to sneak around.(I swear the game never drops arrows if you're low. I think you get extra arrow from a mini game and trying to aim with the thumb stick was just a pain) I did get up to the first adult temple on the 3DS but I forget why I stopped playing. (Probably just didn't have the time.) I couldn't remember if the 3ds version has gyro aiming but since it does I probably should just go back to it and get the arrow upgrades. (So by the time I get to the fortress I won't have to worry about running out of arrows.)

Do you know how crazy it is that a third-person action-adventure game of this nature is still ok to play in 2021? most games like this from the 90s are a nightmare to play today. Even most 3D action-adventure games from the early 2000s are complete shit today. Try and play Sands of Time or something like that today, or the early Tomb Raider games.

Ocarina of Time was years and years ahead of its time.
yeah you're right. i played tomb raider 1 and 2 the other day on pc. could not get controller to work so had to map controls and everything is controlled with one hand lol. pull out guns and start shooting and it has a auto lock feature. keyboard turning is rough. i was able to progress a decent bit through the first part of 2 but damn. i then played some more OOT and it's controls really really hold up. so much easier and way ahead of it's time. even the 3ds version works well.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
To me Ocarina of Time gave Nintendo it’s first true punch, the temples (Light, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit) couldn't have been better, all they want you to do is solve puzzles, beat bosses and having freedom doing so, it is as close to perfect as you can get and I wish they would go back to that format.

BlackTron

You're taking this way more seriously than anyone ever should. It's like me not wanting to use an N64 controller is equivalent to kicking your puppy or something, in your eyes. Calm down 😂

I've used the N64 controller on other games, just not on OoT, back during the lifetime of that generation of consoles (PS1/Saturn/N64). And I didn't like the controller. So, after my experience with the controller, I won't be using it on Ocarina of Time. Or on anything else for that matter.

And, if instead of getting all worked up you had actually read my posts, you'd understand that I prefer playing N64 games with a GameCube controller on the Wii Virtual Console. Main reason? GameCube controller is ergonomically superior. End. Of. Story.

It's that simple. Why would you throw a hissy fit over the opinion of an internet rando?

Cheers, bro! 👍🏽

This is a game discussion forum and I posted my opinion because this is one of my favorite games of all time and you're posting info that would negatively affect someones enjoyment of the game (though they might not ever know it, having not tried it the correct way).

N64 3 prong design is unnecessary, stupid and confusing. It looks silly. There was no need to segregate the d-pad on a different handle. The control stick wears out with use with its shitty plastic internal parts. Gamecube is 100% ergonomically superior to N64. You could say it's 300% (lol) more ergonomically superior to NES. My Mario NES vs. 360 controller argument stands. You could custom make a shell for my exact hands and that's great, but what about how it WORKS?

Do yourself a favor and play just 2 minutes of Star Fox 64 on a real ass 64 and then again on Wii using Gamecube. I GUARANTEE that after N64, you will say WTF this is garbage. I went through this exercise myself a few months ago. I played Star Fox on Wii and after the first level I was like man, it looks so much cleaner on Wii, but the control SUCKS. I tried it again on N64 and guess what -I decided to play through the game and suffer through the composite video because the N64 controller is SO SUPERIOR for this game that it was 100% worth the video downgrade, which is painful. I want both video and control, with an easy plug and play solution. It doesn't really exist which is sad, but I'm not gonna downgrade my ABILITY TO FUCKING AIM for prettier graphics. Zelda archery range was a breeze for 15 year old me on N64, impossible frustration on GCN.

Please note I'm not some sort of N64 controller whore who thinks it's better for EVERY GAME. For example I'd be fine playing Mario 64 on a GCN or Pro controller because you don't have to make fine aiming adjustments (like say, StarFox or Zelda) and the C buttons aren't that important. It's just that different controllers have strengths in different games and this is one case where dissing the N64 pad is wrong.

This isn't about one controller being better than another, it's about different ones being better in different applications. No better controller exists for Zelda, StarFox, and several other select N64 titles than the original one, and the difference is by an IMMENSELY wide margin. You can do as you want, but I assert than anyone who plays these games their first run on something like GC or Pro is unwittingly hurting their experience. It's your right to use an inferior setup if you choose to, or to prioritize video over control input 🤷‍♂️

DrCheese

I want to replay OOT but trying to wait for the PC ports to appear, as it's quite difficult to go back to playing games at 24fps/480p. OOT in 4K at 60fps will be something else.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A lot of people say this but I don’t agree. I wish it was but playing as wolf link and finding spirits really hampered the experience for me.
Controversial decision to transform Link sure, I won't defend the decision. Everything else from Ganon, to the map design is Ocarina of Time personified.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Those USB N64 controllers are awful in every single way.

I'd get the Switch online N64 controller since it copies the original stick design.
I have an adapter that lets me plug an n64 and a ps1 controller in to usb. But I bought it years ago so not sure if they still make it..
I haven’t used it in years either so not sure it still works..

Last edited:
Top Bottom