• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Hey Listen!

SCB3

I am a huge Zelda fan from the n64 days but I started with Majoras Mask and although I have played the Original Zelda and most of the others, OoT is one I've kinda saving for a lull in releases, well with the Switch getting n64 games and with the only big release coming soon is Pokémon Legends next week and then nothing until mid feb with Elden Ring, Dying Light 2 and of course Destiny 2's new expansion, why not take the time to revisit and actually finish a classic

Now I have no idea where I've got to(and I own the original cart) so I'm restarting completely,

First impressions are that this runs well so far, but my god these controls are gonna take some getting used to, I wish I'd bought the n64 Switch controller now, using a a pro controller so far is taking me a few attempts with this camera, at least getting to and through most of the Deku Tree dungeon so far has been pretty plain sailing and a good place to get used to the controls

BlackTron

In my opinion, the only proper way to experience this majestic game is using an original N64 controller. To the extent that it's better to play it on an original N64 while suffering video issues, just for this one important feature.

You could also get a third party USB 64 controller for like $15 and emulate it. But I can guarantee the aiming accuracy will never feel better than on a real 64 with an official wired controller. The C buttons are also crucial for item mapping simplicity and more importantly ocarina playing.

This is just about the only game I have such a strong opinion on requiring a specific controller (aside from MM obv.)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
fd63576b4b3253720d837c3a54c690a5.jpg

:messenger_heart: :messenger_heart: :messenger_heart: :messenger_heart: :messenger_heart: :messenger_heart:

Bragr

Banned
Do you know how crazy it is that a third-person action-adventure game of this nature is still ok to play in 2021? most games like this from the 90s are a nightmare to play today. Even most 3D action-adventure games from the early 2000s are complete shit today. Try and play Sands of Time or something like that today, or the early Tomb Raider games.

Ocarina of Time was years and years ahead of its time.

Last edited:

CS Lurker

I played with a pro controller and didn't have any problem. It wouldn't be better to play with the N64 controller, except for the more precise analog stick while aiming.

Hero_Select

SCB3

Do you know how crazy it is that a third-person action-adventure game of this nature is still ok to play in 2021? most games like this from the 90s are a nightmare to play today. Even most 3D action-adventure games from the early 2000s are complete shit today. Try and play Sands of Time or something like that today, or the early Tomb Raider games.

Ocarina of Time was years and years ahead of its time.

Yea I feel the same about Mario 64, like now its harder to play after current 3D titles but for its time, it, Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot were amazing 3D titles with limted camera controls, hell Tomb Raider was playable on a Saturn Controller

SCB3

In my opinion, the only proper way to experience this majestic game is using an original N64 controller. To the extent that it's better to play it on an original N64 while suffering video issues, just for this one important feature.

You could also get a third party USB 64 controller for like $15 and emulate it. But I can guarantee the aiming accuracy will never feel better than on a real 64 with an official wired controller. The C buttons are also crucial for item mapping simplicity and more importantly ocarina playing.

This is just about the only game I have such a strong opinion on requiring a specific controller (aside from MM obv.)

I almost went for a Emulation of the 3DS version, I have a powerful PC that would run it at 1080p no issue, but I like to experience games as they were intended the first time through where possible, official emulation is close enough for me

Anyway, managed to get to Zelda pretty easy enough, through what has to be the easiest stealth section I've ever played, followed by a cutscene (technically... y'know as close as n64 gets to a cutscene) that is so long that Kojima would be proud

BlackTron

I almost went for a Emulation of the 3DS version, I have a powerful PC that would run it at 1080p no issue, but I like to experience games as they were intended the first time through where possible, official emulation is close enough for me

Anyway, managed to get to Zelda pretty easy enough, through what has to be the easiest stealth section I've ever played, followed by a cutscene (technically... y'know as close as n64 gets to a cutscene) that is so long that Kojima would be proud

I agree with you especially in this case that you'd want as close to the original experience as you can.

Which is exactly why I would not recommend the official NSO version with a Pro Controller. The input lag alone would make me prefer it on PC but a real 64 is still the best way to play this game which is kinda sad lol.

Good on you to dodge the 3DS version though. Dead last in my book.

SCB3

I agree with you especially in this case that you'd want as close to the original experience as you can.

Which is exactly why I would not recommend the official NSO version with a Pro Controller. The input lag alone would make me prefer it on PC but a real 64 is still the best way to play this game which is kinda sad lol.

Good on you to dodge the 3DS version though. Dead last in my book.

Plugging my N64 into my monitor would just be troublesome at this point as I tend to play games at my desk, so going with the next best option and tbh, I'm not getting any noticeable input lag.

King Dodongo down and pretty much 100% up to this point on items expect the gold spiders according to this guide I'm following loosely (only for missable items and where to go next as OoT does a poor job of giving any clues(in fact most Zelda games aside from BotW do this)) and yea, I'm beginning to see why this is so beloved, I'm used to the camera now which is making it more enjoyable. I will say though, it is feeling like a shortish game, again, according to this guide I'm about a third through if I do just the main quest

SCB3

Jabu Jabu's Belly done, and my god has the Z Targeting on the boomerang aged poorly, this kinda boss is why people want a remake I believe, its awful to try to aim, move the camera and avoid being stun locked at the same time. Still fun though and yea I'm enjoying this a lot so far

Also met this fella, seems friendly enough

FJ3yfDRVUAA5U8w

I played this recently with Henriko Magnificos texture mod, but now I want to go back and go through it on the 3DS with Henriko's mod for that platform.

I suggest getting used to the camera, once you get that out of the way, the game becomes more enjoyable.
No disrespect but those HD textures look awful.

It's kinda sad that Nintendo didn't bother porting the 3DS version to the switch and perhaps re-introduce the original menus and controls.
King Dodongo down and pretty much 100% up to this point on items expect the gold spiders according to this guide I'm following loosely (only for missable items and where to go next as OoT does a poor job of giving any clues(in fact most Zelda games aside from BotW do this)) and yea, I'm beginning to see why this is so beloved, I'm used to the camera now which is making it more enjoyable. I will say though, it is feeling like a shortish game, again, according to this guide I'm about a third through if I do just the main quest
Hahahahaha :) It's not short at all.

I remembered thinking I was about to finish the game when I got to the next temple after the one you're in.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the only proper way to experience this majestic game is using an original N64 controller.
No.

The N64 controller is a monstrosity, I don't care what anyone says. I've played OoT in two different ways:

- The 3DS remake
- The N64 version in the Wii Virtual Console, using the GameCube controller.

Both ways were superior to using the N64 controller. It's my (strong) opinion and I'm sticking to it 🤪

Oh, right, on topic: I still think that, "pound for pound," (a term I'm borrowing from boxing, lol) Ocarina of Time is the best 3D Zelda. I liked the charm and environment of Wind Waker better; I liked the gameplay and awesome dungeons of Twilight Princess better; but overall, I've liked Ocarina of Time the best. I didn't mention Breath of the Wild because I bought it on the Wii U, was incredibly bored to tears, and returned it. It's the only game I've returned in a long, long time.

SCB3

Oh, right, on topic: I still think that, "pound for pound," (a term I'm borrowing from boxing, lol) Ocarina of Time is the best 3D Zelda. I liked the charm and environment of Wind Waker better; I liked the gameplay and awesome dungeons of Twilight Princess better; but overall, I've liked Ocarina of Time the best. I didn't mention Breath of the Wild because I bought it on the Wii U, was incredibly bored to tears, and returned it. It's the only game I've returned in a long, long time.

OoT and Skyward Sword are the only 2 I've not finished, it was because of SS I thought I'd do OoT now and go back to SS (was only on the Volcano area anyway, about 2 hours in) and so far, i agree, I've just opened the Forest Temple and got Epona and its been a joy aside from that one Boss and that was mainly the Z Targeting being so old.

dave_d

No disrespect but those HD textures look awful.

It's kinda sad that Nintendo didn't bother porting the 3DS version to the switch and perhaps re-introduce the original menus and controls.

Hahahahaha :) It's not short at all.

I remembered thinking I was about to finish the game when I got to the next temple after the one you're in.

Enjoy.
Doesn't the 3DS version have gyro aiming too? That's one thing I didn't like in the N64 version, trying to aim the bow with the thumb stick was just a PitA

SCB3

Forest Temple down, that was a very unique boss fight, this game is really ahead of its time huh? I only wish the camera was better but I'm doing fine as is, its making me excited to revisit Majoras Mask in March/April, too many games before that in Feb!

I am however going to try and get one of the Switch N64 controllers, if only to have the collection (I have the SNES and NES ones already)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Forest Temple down, that was a very unique boss fight, this game is really ahead of its time huh? I only wish the camera was better but I'm doing fine as is, its making me excited to revisit Majoras Mask in March/April, too many games before that in Feb!

I am however going to try and get one of the Switch N64 controllers, if only to have the collection (I have the SNES and NES ones already)
Design-wise, OoT still casts a very intimidating shadow upon so many modern games. It’s one of Nintendo’s most amazing examples of “make it good to play first, then build everything else around that”. It was really groundbreaking in 1998, while being so damn faithful to its SNES roots. Yeah, that year games like MGS were redefining everything people expected from the medium, but as a video game and as a game design manual, OoT was monumental. If it could somehow have free camera control, it’d make people’s heads explode.

SCB3

Design-wise, OoT still casts a very intimidating shadow upon so many modern games. It’s one of Nintendo’s most amazing examples of “make it good to play first, then build everything else around that”. It was really groundbreaking in 1998, while being so damn faithful to its SNES roots. Yeah, that year games like MGS were redefining everything people expected from the medium, but as a video game and as a game design manual, OoT was monumental. If it could somehow have free camera control, it’d make people’s heads explode.
I agree, MGS is still a game that not many have surpassed or I have as found memories for, but I definitely see some damned impressive stuff that games now don't even do

JPSLotus97T

Horseback archery is the worst in this game.

My ex was in tears because I was raging over the stupid targets for 3 hours before I finally nailed what I needed for the points.

I would much rather play Majora's Mask. It's better than OOT once you get used to the game mechanics.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Right on. I missed this on Saturday when you started the thread but I actually started playing OOT also, but on an actual N64. I also have it on the Wii U via the VC.

I'm probably a good 15 hours in. It's such a great game, I've played the 3DS remake and played it via the Wii VC and WiiU VC but I really do think it's best when played on an actual N64, the C-Buttons just work so well with the game mechanics and the aiming sensitivity doesn't seem entirely accurate when played outside the N64 hardware. Power to whichever controller/console you use though, not a purist by any means.

Sorry bruh ( InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo ) Team N64 controller all day. lol

fart town usa

Gold Member
Horseback archery is the worst in this game.

My ex was in tears because I was raging over the stupid targets for 3 hours before I finally nailed what I needed for the points.

I would much rather play Majora's Mask. It's better than OOT once you get used to the game mechanics.
Was that on the Switch or Wii U VC? I had a nightmare experience with that too on the Wii U last year but it's because the sensitivity is off. I'm guessing the Switch probably has the same issue. It's much more manageable and less frustrating on actual hardware.

SCB3

"I've been a huge Zelda fan since the N64. I've never played Ocarina of Time."

One of the strangest things I've heard.
Trust me I know! I started with Majoras Mask and by the time I got hold of OoT I was more into PS2 and games like MGS2 and Final Fantasy, I’ve slowly been going back and playing through them all though

Would it also blow your mind that Wind Waker is probably my favourite?

The 3ds remake was done really well. If you have access to one (the XL even better). I enjoyed replaying the game thoroughly.

Last edited:
Trust me I know! I started with Majoras Mask and by the time I got hold of OoT I was more into PS2 and games like MGS2 and Final Fantasy, I’ve slowly been going back and playing through them all though

Would it also blow your mind that Wind Waker is probably my favourite?
It wouldn't blow *my* mind. Wind Waker is a great game. It gets hated on a lot but I had a blast with it. It was my first 3D Zelda so it holds a special place because of that. Also the art style is timeless.

Also it has the tune that MOST evokes a feeling of pure adventure in the entire Zelda series:

SCB3

Was this game designed to sell Nintendo Power or something? I'm playing this somewhat blind and so I figured that you have to do each dungeon again as Adult Link and the Fire Temple would be a good place to go next.

I love the Gorons areas usually and yea this is no different, but I will say this, how the fuck was I supposed to figure out how to get the Red Tunic? Zelda at times can be really obtuse and its slightly annoying in each game, but I looked it up and now deep into the Fire Temple

JPSLotus97T

Was that on the Switch or Wii U VC? I had a nightmare experience with that too on the Wii U last year but it's because the sensitivity is off. I'm guessing the Switch probably has the same issue. It's much more manageable and less frustrating on actual hardware.

Gamecube port actually! The 8 way aiming is not good with that analog stick.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Did anyone ever do the Master Quest version? I felt like I was playing some fanmade mod with the way the dungeons where remixed.

Great game although I always preferred Majora's Mask, well worth a playthrough of the pair even today.

Last edited:

SCB3

Fire Temple down and honestly, how you're supposed to do this 100% Blind without lots of trial and error is anyones guess, maybe I was smarter as a kid?

Onto the Ice Temple now, I know the Water Temple is coming up soon and already dreading it, which means I'll find it fine

Dream-Knife

Banned

Those USB N64 controllers are awful in every single way.

I'd get the Switch online N64 controller since it copies the original stick design.

BlackTron

No.

The N64 controller is a monstrosity, I don't care what anyone says. I've played OoT in two different ways:

- The 3DS remake
- The N64 version in the Wii Virtual Console, using the GameCube controller.

Both ways were superior to using the N64 controller. It's my (strong) opinion and I'm sticking to it 🤪

Says the guy who never played OOT with a 64 controller.

Tschumi

If you can emulate the 3ds version I'd say it feels a bit better, somehow...

I find that OOT is a game I'll never complete, life's just moved on and i don't have that much time anymore to devote to titles like it.

---

As luck would have it, i played OOT on n64 and GameCube, in addition to 3ds, so I've experienced the range of possible controls.. probably recommend GameCube, it came bundled with TWW

Last edited:

Scotty W

Fire Temple down and honestly, how you're supposed to do this 100% Blind without lots of trial and error is anyones guess, maybe I was smarter as a kid?

Onto the Ice Temple now, I know the Water Temple is coming up soon and already dreading it, which means I'll find it fine
The Water Temple is not great, but it is so much better than all the Shadow Temple stuff- especially down in the well.

Kenpachii

Dungeons in OOT are massive mindfucks, that's why people liked it so much. Once u completed one u felt like u did something.

SCB3

Dungeons in OOT are massive mindfucks, that's why people liked it so much. Once u completed one u felt like u did something.

I get that but jesus some of the puzzles and hidden stuff are so obtuse, perfect example being the Fire Temple and figuring out where to go

Kenpachii

I get that but jesus some of the puzzles and hidden stuff are so obtuse, perfect example being the Fire Temple and figuring out where to go

Main thing u where doing in the game, trying to figure stuff out on how to progress an when u found something u where hyped to get further. It's not your typical open world game these days where everything has to be served with ? marks on the map. The game was about exploring and finding secrets and move forwards slow as result.

The forest temple as adult was hard as hell to beat, the fire temple was actually the easier one i found. the shadow temple + water temple where hard as hell. But that also comes because u need specific stuff to even get into something and gotta figure stuff out.

The game was perfect for people that where kids, i think i was 12 years old or something and played the game all day long when i was sick just to get a bit further at the time as there was really nothing else like this on the market.

What was most amazing was the fact that there was a adult link and tons more temples and content waiting on you. I was mind blown when that happened.

However the game is riddled with annoying little things, such as not knowing where to get x item to move forwards or boot swapping in water temple, that forest at the starting area with tunnels u gotta dig through to the right spot etc etc.

Today however everything is a click away from solution so nothing really should be much of a issue anymore. I had to call back in the day a hotline to know how to walk through the dam tunnels to get further and my parents didn't like that shit at all :D.

Never completed the game however when i was a kid, for the simple reason water temple was gg for me.

I played the game when the 3DS came out, but after realizing how lackbusting of a remake it was and 3d being shit i rushed myself through it.

Also on the n64, a lot of things where hidden in dark spots or blurry enviroments like with the water temple, they hid that really well from you that way. 3DS screen and remake made stuff so brigbht and the draw distance a lot bigger to the point u could see the solution from miles away so its actually easier.

Still great game tho, and pionered a ton of things at the time to the point it felt just unique to run around.

BOTW does the same on this level, it has a shit ton of focus on small detail to such extent u want to experiment with stuff and try your own way of doing things, it reminds people of OOT and its high rated by reviewers because of that. Instead of being hand held etc and follow some story u couldn't give 2 shits about. Pure gameplay.

Game will forever stay in my heart as one of the best games ever created.

SCB3

Main thing u where doing in the game, trying to figure stuff out on how to progress an when u found something u where hyped to get further. It's not your typical open world game these days where everything has to be served with ? marks on the map. The game was about exploring and finding secrets and move forwards slow as result.

The forest temple as adult was hard as hell to beat, the fire temple was actually the easier one i found. the shadow temple + water temple where hard as hell. But that also comes because u need specific stuff to even get into something and gotta figure stuff out.

The game was perfect for people that where kids, i think i was 12 years old or something and played the game all day long when i was sick just to get a bit further at the time as there was really nothing else like this on the market.

What was most amazing was the fact that there was a adult link and tons more temples and content waiting on you. I was mind blown when that happened.

However the game is riddled with annoying little things, such as not knowing where to get x item to move forwards or boot swapping in water temple, that forest at the starting area with tunnels u gotta dig through to the right spot etc etc.

Today however everything is a click away from solution so nothing really should be much of a issue anymore. I had to call back in the day a hotline to know how to walk through the dam tunnels to get further and my parents didn't like that shit at all :D.

Never completed the game however when i was a kid, for the simple reason water temple was gg for me.

I played the game when the 3DS came out, but after realizing how lackbusting of a remake it was and 3d being shit i rushed myself through it.

Also on the n64, a lot of things where hidden in dark spots or blurry enviroments like with the water temple, they hid that really well from you that way. 3DS screen and remake made stuff so brigbht and the draw distance a lot bigger to the point u could see the solution from miles away so its actually easier.

Still great game tho, and pionered a ton of things at the time to the point it felt just unique to run around.

BOTW does the same on this level, it has a shit ton of focus on small detail to such extent u want to experiment with stuff and try your own way of doing things, it reminds people of OOT and its high rated by reviewers because of that. Instead of being hand held etc and follow some story u couldn't give 2 shits about. Pure gameplay.

Game will forever stay in my heart as one of the best games ever created.

I don't disagree, it is feeling special but minor things like giving me a Compass and Map near the starting area of a dungeon would be so much easier, in the 2D games it was fine to hide these more as there was less ground to cover, but in 3D with a limited camera it just makes it awkward.

I feel like it tries too hard to make things hidden as well, for example you need 4? Small keys to get through the Fire Temple, which is fine and expected , but these are hidden BEHIND the Gorons that you free, thing is 2 things here:

1. The Goron Leader, Darmunia, asks you if you could please free them if you could find them, the dialogue makes it sound optional to free them when its not
  2. The Chests are often hidden behind the Gorons, who are big, and when you free them and talk to them, they do give you somewhat useful clues and then disappear, BUT the camera then pans AWAY from the Cell they're in, so you could easily miss a chest and be searching for hours, I got somewhat lucky in that I explored the cell after and because I found that chest I explored all of them
This could be easily solved with 1 line of Dialogue from Darmunia saying something like "My people have been locked away with Keys that cannot open the cells they're in, please help them", its just minor things like that could be made a little clearer, theres a difference between hints and a guided map.

However I will say, once you've found out about these little quirks and hidden things early on in the game, you do find yourself making sure to explore everything, so it is good design eventually

Top Bottom