• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Lost...

mango drank

I loved it up until about the end of season 3, after which it became too ridiculous, and it seemed clear that the showrunners were just stalling and stretching the show's life out purely for dat sweet ad revenue.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Utter garbage at the end. I'm normally quite easy going on shows that end a bit shit but my god, this show was something else. I swear the writers must of fucked off towards the end and the tea boy took over.

bender

What time is it?
I sincerely hate the Locke character

tenor.gif

20cent

Banned
The show has many incredible episodes, and some entire bad seasons...but it was worth it.
I enjoyed the last season and its ending was disappointing but it still worked on me.

Watching and discussing the episodes weeks after weeks on the web 1.0 was also a great part of its enjoyment.

I'd recommend The Leftovers though.

dorkimoe

Greatest show of all time. Its even better the 2nd and 3rd time you watch. They did an amazing job at everything. Ending is GOAT. so f off.

REAL SPOILER BELOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT WATCHED- DO NOT CLICK

Last edited:

paparazzo

Loved it all the way through. Though I binged it years later, so I’d imagine that makes for a different experience.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Greatest non-comedy tv show of all time. I’m rewatching it with my kids now. They love it.

The ending is very polarizing. But if you go into it accepting the fact that not all questions will get answered and not all answers will be satisfactory, then you’ll be fine.

It really is the journey and the guessing/theorizing that makes it fun.

Loki

Count of Concision
First 2-3 seasons were the most magical experience I've ever had with television. Just tremendously imaginative, mysterious, and evoked such a sense of wonder and exploration on top of the interpersonal drama. I wish I could erase my memory of it and experience it anew.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Watch until the end of season 3.

Then just pretend a bomb fell on the island and everyone died and walk away.
It seemed like an obvious place for me. Outsiders + all the mysteries that didn't go anywhere. I stuck around longer than I would have otherwise because the show is so well made but I had enough halfway through S3. That season was peak writer's room spitballing. Then again I watched loads of The Walking dead where they reset and rehashed the same story over and over. I don't know how I got so invested in that.

jonnyp

Never seen it before one of those shows I was interested in but never bothered with.

At the start of S2 and it’s ok quite interesting but random mysteries can be abit annoying.

I sincerely hate the Locke character

Hate the show and despise Lindelof.

INC

Me and the Mrs rewatched the entire thing not long ago, and not so bothered about how it ends, its better to binge watch, it does go down hill a bit after season 2-3

But fan theories were far better constructed and thought out

But yeh ending is weak still

DKehoe

You missed out on the classic weekly lost threads, good times
Loved those threads. I know people talk shit about Lost now but while it wasn't without it's faults it was one of the most fun watching experiences I've ever had. Everyone theorising week to week about what could be going on. It may have petered out towards the end but it was a hell of a ride. I miss that communal experience now that so many shows have whole a season dumped at one time and everyone ends up being at different points watching it.

TTOOLL

I remember that my friends were hooked til the end but I dropped it when I noticed the direction they were going. I followed the discussions and I know a lot about the story and the end. At the time I said something like “That’s it?”.

I would like to give the show a proper watch nowadays though, specially because I’m now more a person of faith. Back then I was just an edgy young adult and I wanted the scientific explanation for everything.

INC

I remember that my friends were hooked til the end but I dropped it when I noticed the direction they were going. I followed the discussions and I know a lot about the story and the end. At the time I said something like “That’s it?”.

I would like to give the show a proper watch nowadays though, specially because I’m now more a person of faith. Back then I was just an edgy young adult and I wanted the scientific explanation for everything.

It has nothing to do with faith tho, til the last season

But its 100% better to be able to binge watch it tho, the pace isn't so bad, since before you'd have to wait a week and months between episodes

One of my favorite shows and I understand why the ending was the way it was.

JJ never had a plan and the entire show that appeared meticulously planned for the first two-three seasons was really just a couple idiots throwing diarrhea at the wall and getting insanely luck that part of it kind of looks good?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
It has nothing to do with faith tho, til the last season

But its 100% better to be able to binge watch it tho, the pace isn't so bad, since before you'd have to wait a week and months between episodes
Uhhh, yes it does. Locke represented faith from the very beginning. They have a “priest” with Mr Ecko, Claire and Rose go see a mystic to try and tell the future/heal them, Siyeed was an Islamic extremist, one of the main characters is named after one of the biggest names in the Bible and you can’t see them at first but you can feel their presence. That’s just off the top of my head. About every other episode someone is talking about faith or religion.

Aesius

Loved those threads. I know people talk shit about Lost now but while it wasn't without it's faults it was one of the most fun watching experiences I've ever had. Everyone theorising week to week about what could be going on. It may have petered out towards the end but it was a hell of a ride. I miss that communal experience now that so many shows have whole a season dumped at one time and everyone ends up being at different points watching it.
I spent a ridiculous amount of time diving into fan theories. Most of which turned out better than the show itself. The opening scene of "The Incident" (S5 premiere episode) is still incredible to me. The show still had so much promise at that point and holy hell did that scene DELIVER.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

The writers have recently come out and said that the show was only suppose to go 3 seasons but the show runners threatened to make more episodes without them if they didn’t do more. So instead of giving up their baby, they agreed to do 3 more seasons under their control.

Meanwhile, there’s no doubt that fans had guessed the original 3-seasons only ending by the end of season 2. So, they were forced to switch things up. So they DID have a plan but the unexpected fan theorizing community and the extension of the show made things difficult to do well. That’s why you have some of the crazier season-long story arcs in the last 3 seasons and also why those seasons are much shorter.

I think 4 seasons would have been perfect. Just enough time to tell all the GOOD storylines without all the fluff and contradictory episodes.

DKehoe

Became clear to me that Lost is nothing but an exercise in keeping the viewer viewing.

If you don't watch it, you lose nothing.
Sometimes it's ok to just enjoy something for the ride rather than the end point. Would I put Lost up there alongside something like The Wire or The Sopranos? No, but I had fun watching it.

INC

Uhhh, yes it does. Locke represented faith from the very beginning. They have a “priest” with Mr Ecko, Claire and Rose go see a mystic to try and tell the future/heal them, Siyeed was an Islamic extremist, one of the main characters is named after one of the biggest names in the Bible and you can’t see them at first but you can feel their presence. That’s just off the top of my head. About every other episode someone is talking about faith or religion.

Ive always seen it as Good and evil, white and black etc etc, not necessarily a set religion

But sure I see that

RaduN

In my humble opinion, probably the best TV show ever made, and if not that, by far the most ambitious.
It is original, inspired, emotional, sometimes cheesy, sometimes funny, sometimes annoying, always keeps you guessing, has some of the most amazing cast of characters you'll ever see and it all makes you feel like you are witnessing something truly "big", with gargantuan ramifications, and the best thing is that it actually delivers.

Contrary to what seems to be the general opinion, i consider the Lost finale (the entire last season actually) to be "the" most mind blowing, poignant and satisfying finale in any long running TV series.
At the time, the level of anticipation and speculation was unprecedented (even George Lucas admited, prior to the finale, that he wouldn't miss it no matter what) and it still managed to fool everyone, to bring the entire story full circle, in the most creative and memorable way possible, though even today there are those that don't "get" it, and keep a certain, completely wrong assesement of the finale, alive (i won't say more, as it is the biggest spoiler of the show, but i'll just add that reportedly, R.R Martin caused Damon Lindelof, the creator of the show, a mental breakdown when the later found out that, a writer of such caliber got the ending competely wrong :)

There's also this myth that so many mysteries/questions were left unanswered, which is completely false and there have been countless amazing articles along the years, explaining the subtleties of the show and how it connects (almost) everything.

Fake edit: i came here to quickly say "watch it", and found myself on a trip down the memory lane, so thanks for that OP ;)

Oh, and WATCH IT!

Hulk_Smash

Banned
In my humble opinion, probably the best TV show ever made, and if not that, by far the most ambitious.
It is original, inspired, emotional, sometimes cheesy, sometimes funny, sometimes annoying, always keeps you guessing, has some of the most amazing cast of characters you'll ever see and it all makes you feel like you are witnessing something truly "big", with gargantuan ramifications, and the best thing is that it actually delivers.

Contrary to what seems to be the general opinion, i consider the Lost finale (the entire last season actually) to be "the" most mind blowing, poignant and satisfying finale in any long running TV series.
At the time, the level of anticipation and speculation was unprecedented (even George Lucas admited, prior to the finale, that he wouldn't miss it no matter what) and it still managed to fool everyone, to bring the entire story full circle, in the most creative and memorable way possible, though even today there are those that don't "get" it, and keep a certain, completely wrong assesement of the finale, alive (i won't say more, as it is the biggest spoiler of the show, but i'll just add that reportedly, R.R Martin caused Damon Lindelof, the creator of the show, a mental breakdown when the later found out that, a writer of such caliber got the ending competely wrong :)

There's also this myth that so many mysteries/questions were left unanswered, which is completely false and there have been countless amazing articles along the years, explaining the subtleties of the show and how it connects (almost) everything.

Fake edit: i came here to quickly say "watch it", and found myself on a trip down the memory lane, so thanks for that OP ;)

Oh, and WATCH IT!
The last season had some of the most memorable episodes of the entire run.

Hell, “The Constant” which was in the later seasons, just might be one of the best sci-fi stories ever put on TV.

Ambitious is also apt. Probably one of the first prime time tv shows to move away from the episodic format and continue the story directly from one week to the next.

The island shots were all shot on location. And the last episode I believe still holds the record of being the most expensive tv episode ever produced.

INC

The last season had some of the most memorable episodes of the entire run.

Hell, “The Constant” which was in the later seasons, just might be one of the best sci-fi stories ever put on TV.

Ambitious is also apt. Probably one of the first prime time tv shows to move away from the episodic format and continue the story directly from one week to the next.

The island shots were all shot on location. And the last episode I believe still holds the record of being the most expensive tv episode ever produced.

I think at the time, it was disappointing because it doesn't really wrap up all the story threads but in rewatching, I actually found the last season and episode quite emotional tbh, whereas on the initial viewing I didnt feel anything.

Sure its not the ending I wanted, but the second time it actually hit me, maybe age was a factor, only rewatched last year.

DKehoe

Ive always seen it as Good and evil, white and black etc etc, not necessarily a set religion

But sure I see that
There was definitely a science vs faith dynamic at play. Early on you have Jack representing belief in logic and reason and Locke representing belief in destiny and some kind of higher power that goes beyond our understanding. There was even an episode called Man of Science, Man of Faith.

BigLee74

Yeah, ok. This has put me in the mood to watch again. Might try and rope the daughter in for this one.

I personally didn’t mind the ending, it just didn’t seem to answer a lot of the questions. But it did pluck on the old heartstrings, I remember that much.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Strong characters and engaging plotting with a mystery box foundation. That foundation was always going to crumble in the end, but it props up the show for a long time. I enjoyed it until the final season.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If you like writers who clearly had no fucking idea what the end of their story was when they started writing it, Lost is the show for you!

INC

There was definitely a science vs faith dynamic at play. Early on you have Jack representing belief in logic and reason and Locke representing belief in destiny and some kind of higher power that goes beyond our understanding. There was even an episode called Man of Science, Man of Faith.

That why I think it was more about the ying and yang of everything, and not just bound to faith/religion , even the dharma symbols were ying yang inspired, action/reaction etc etc

lachesis

It's one of those stories where the "mystery" itself is more fascinating than explanation.
But it did have very strong characters with both likeable/unlikeable personal traits and all... and had some very strong episodes that resounded with my emotion.
I probably won't watch it again, and in the end, I was glad that the show was finally over.... but I can't deny that I enjoyed the journey.
At its height, used to have water fountain talk among my co-workers about the show, every Wednesday when it aired its new episode. Good times. :)

Dark Star

IMO it's one of the best shows of the 2000's. Hurley and Sawyer are really entertaining characters.

The first couple seasons are GOAT tier. I think the directors/producers tried to stretch it out a lot after around season 3, but the "supernatural" stuff that comes later is interesting. I've seen the entire show twice, binge-watched both times. Probably the first series I ever binge-watched like that during my high school days. If you can get over the strange characters and keep watching, like Locke, you'll realize how much "destiny" and "prophecy" is connected to the plot.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Still amazing to watch today. The threads on here were something else. Enjoy!

This must be why I hate Locke then. Everything out of his mouth is crazy religious nut job type. His dad played him right it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Legendary casting in that show. Almost everyone's interesting.

The show definitely has some annoying bits, but I liked it. 1-2 are fantastic. The rest is spotty with highs and lows, but ultimately watchable.

Boss Mog

LOST is one of my life's regrets. I got really into it the first couple of seasons, it was my favorite show and I wanted to believe it was going somewhere, but it goes nowhere in the end. Save yourself the time and extreme disappointment OP, quit now.

Dark Star

LOST is one of my life's regrets. I got really into it the first couple of seasons, it was my favorite show and I wanted to believe it was going somewhere, but it goes nowhere in the end. Save yourself the time and extreme disappointment OP, quit now.

Nah. The last season is perfectly fine and resolves enough of the mystery. It’s definitely off the rails insane, and kind of disappointing, but there is so much interesting character back story that shows up in the last few seasons that can’t be missed. Miles, Desmond, Linus and his whole gang, Jacob, etc. I personally enjoyed watching Sawyer unravel his past the most.

Last edited:
Top Bottom