• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mad Max (2015) - The Game That Time Forgot. AKA Don't Release Same Day As MGS V.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Well, Patch#5 for BG3 kind of broke the mods I need to play (WASD+CAMERA) so it's fortuitous this thread popped back up. May as well. I had actually reinstalled Mad Max a few months ago, played for an hour and then got busy and then BG3 came out....Loved this game, I'm pretty sure I was in the OT for this one too all those years ago or maybe the PC thread. I just remember being impressed with the port at the time.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
One of the best videogame adaptation ever.

Both on foot and driving gameplay are great. I love the way they delve into Mad Max mythos. Which George Miller would love by the way, since what he wanted to do starting from The Road Warrior is study how mythos are created and show what could be if human beings started recreating them after the fall of our civilisation.

Of course you're pissed off at first not driving the interceptor, but the idea to build your own vehicle is great, there's a lot of possibilities actually, plus when you finish it and unlock the beast
mdvPq7G.jpg

I dare you not to cream your pants, i dare you !

First timers (or long time returners) be sure to post thoughts if you get a chance

It's always fun to revisit cult classics, especially from that era. Which at this point feels like it was a completely different fucking universe. 2015 :messenger_dizzy:
Ahh yes I remember 2015 and especially 2016, the couple of years that devs actually tried harder than normal.

Battlefront 1, as simple as it was (which to me is sometimes better), was unbelievable and just felt like I was in an original trilogy Star Wars movie. The sound design, textures, maps, weapons, all outstanding. Battlefield 4 was only a year into release and I ended up playing that until PS5 launched and still go back once in a while. Battlefield Hardline released as well which had a pretty in depth campaign for a BF game. Followed up of course by Battlefield 1 in 2016 in the same engine as Battlefront.

Black Ops 3 introduced Blackout battle royal which was a huge success, I wasn't a fan but it was pretty cool, now, again CoD Warzone is just so over saturated with garbage. Followed up by CoD WW2 in 2016 which actually had some insane campaign missions that borderline looked real with their settings, animations and lighting.

The Order 1886, Limbo, Fallout 4 Titanfall! I mean 2015 was fucking awesome. That's how you launch two big name consoles! I need that passion back.

Now to Mad Max, this game is fucking awesome! I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy. I enjoyed Fury Road as well, some of the stunts were insane, but it's a far cry from the original movie which I may like the best out of the four.

Most people say the Road Warrior is the best. I do like it a lot but I'm the wackjob that may like Thunderdome more because it just has more substance and is essentially two separate movies in one starting out in Bartertown and then moving on to the canyon of children after Max busts a deal and faces the wheel. You also can't convince me otherwise that the airplane pilot in Thunderdome is not the whirly bird pilot in Road Warrior. I don't give a shit what George Miller says, the pilot had a kid with his girl in Road Warrior, lost her along the way somewhere and started flying an airplane with his son in Thunderdome.

One of the best videogame adaptation ever.

Both on foot and driving gameplay are great. I love the way they delve into Mad Max mythos. Which George Miller would love by the way, since what he wanted to do starting from The Road Warrior is study how mythos are created and show what could be if human beings started recreating them after the fall of our civilisation.

Of course you're pissed off at first not driving the interceptor, but the idea to build your own vehicle is great, there's a lot of possibilities actually, plus when you finish it and unlock the beast
mdvPq7G.jpg

I dare you not to cream your pants, i dare you !

You can actually build a mock interceptor with one of the base car models they give you to choose from and even get a black on black paintjob for it in the shop. The only difference is that instead of having the dual fuel tanks in the back you have Chum Bucket sitting there instead, which is great if you enjoy the thunderpoon launcher. Just slap a V8 in there and you have the interceptor before beating the game.

I'm not sure if someone else has mentioned this yet in this thread, but it's also a shame that the coolest feature of the game got cut. It was supposed to have a procedural desert outside of the map boundaries so you could just explore for miles and miles into the salt flats and find random loot along the way. You can still drive past the boundaries now but only for a few seconds as it'll kill you unless you mod the game on PC. There is also a hidden ocean if you drive far enough making the rumors of the "Big Wet" technically true.

You can also find Cap'n Walker's crashed airplane out towards the airport with statues of some of the kids from Beyond Thundersome standing on it.

This game is also a prequel to Fury Road and the flash backs that Max sees in the opening of the movie are the mother and daughter from this game.

I really, REALLY wish this game would get a sequel. It would be insane. Maybe it will with Furiosa on it's way in the next year or so.

Some tips that you may not know, using the shotgun in the car turns the game into slow mo so you can do some cool camera tricks with explosions. Try launching a thunderpoon at an enemy vehicle and then quickly swap to your shotgun and aim, you get a super slow mo explosion. It's awesome.

You also drive in first person by double tapping down on the D-pad (I think? One of the other D-pad buttons?)

This game is hilarious too. I have a ton of goofy videos from it.

This is a 10 minute video but it has some examples of the slow motion I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Ahh yes I remember 2015 and especially 2016, the couple of years that devs actually tried harder than normal.

Battlefront 1, as simple as it was (which to me is sometimes better), was unbelievable and just felt like I was in an original trilogy Star Wars movie. The sound design, textures, maps, weapons, all outstanding. Battlefield 4 was only a year into release and I ended up playing that until PS5 launched and still go back once in a while. Battlefield Hardline released as well which had a pretty in depth campaign for a BF game. Followed up of course by Battlefield 1 in 2016 in the same engine as Battlefront.

Black Ops 3 introduced Blackout battle royal which was a huge success, I wasn't a fan but it was pretty cool, now, again CoD Warzone is just so over saturated with garbage. Followed up by CoD WW2 in 2016 which actually had some insane campaign missions that borderline looked real with their settings, animations and lighting.

The Order 1886, Limbo, Fallout 4 Titanfall! I mean 2015 was fucking awesome. That's how you launch two big name consoles! I need that passion back.

Now to Mad Max, this game is fucking awesome! I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy. I enjoyed Fury Road as well, some of the stunts were insane, but it's a far cry from the original movie which I may like the best out of the four.

Most people say the Road Warrior is the best. I do like it a lot but I'm the wackjob that may like Thunderdome more because it just has more substance and is essentially two separate movies in one starting out in Bartertown and then moving on to the canyon of children after Max busts a deal and faces the wheel. You also can't convince me otherwise that the airplane pilot in Thunderdome is not the whirly bird pilot in Road Warrior. I don't give a shit what George Miller says, the pilot had a kid with his girl in Road Warrior, lost her along the way somewhere and started flying an airplane with his son in Thunderdome.

You can actually build a mock interceptor with one of the base car models they give you to choose from and even get a black on black paintjob for it in the shop. The only difference is that instead of having the dual fuel tanks in the back you have Chum Bucket sitting there instead, which is great if you enjoy the thunderpoon launcher. Just slap a V8 in there and you have the interceptor before beating the game.

I'm not sure if someone else has mentioned this yet in this thread, but it's also a shame that the coolest feature of the game got cut. It was supposed to have a procedural desert outside of the map boundaries so you could just explore for miles and miles into the salt flats and find random loot along the way. You can still drive past the boundaries now but only for a few seconds as it'll kill you unless you mod the game on PC. There is also a hidden ocean if you drive far enough making the rumors of the "Big Wet" technically true.

You can also find Cap'n Walker's crashed airplane out towards the airport with statues of some of the kids from Beyond Thundersome standing on it.

This game is also a prequel to Fury Road and the flash backs that Max sees in the opening of the movie are the mother and daughter from this game.

I really, REALLY wish this game would get a sequel. It would be insane. Maybe it will with Furiosa on it's way in the next year or so.

Some tips that you may not know, using the shotgun in the car turns the game into slow mo so you can do some cool camera tricks with explosions. Try launching a thunderpoon at an enemy vehicle and then quickly swap to your shotgun and aim, you get a super slow mo explosion. It's awesome.

You also drive in first person by double tapping down on the D-pad (I think? One of the other D-pad buttons?)

This game is hilarious too. I have a ton of goofy videos from it.

This is a 10 minute video but it has some examples of the slow motion I'm talking about.

Amazing post.

I always thought that the game (or a sequel) would've really benefited from having something similar to the Nemesis System from the Mordor games. I think something like that would fit into this world so well with the amount of wild and strange gangs and groups. Pie in the sky, but picture trying to overtake an enemy base, but failing and causing some time to pass while you heal. Over that period, the base gets buffed security, more enemies, maybe a new miniboss leader or two. The challenge mightve been heightened, but this also means you'll be able to scavenge more supplies due to the larger number of foes. Maybe fresh gear or parts for your car that weren't there before. Risk vs reward.

Amazing post.

I always thought that the game (or a sequel) would've really benefited from having something similar to the Nemesis System from the Mordor games. I think something like that would fit into this world so well with the amount of wild and strange gangs and groups. Pie in the sky, but picture trying to overtake an enemy base, but failing and causing some time to pass while you heal. Over that period, the base gets buffed security, more enemies, maybe a new miniboss leader or two. The challenge mightve been heightened, but this also means you'll be able to scavenge more supplies due to the larger number of foes. Maybe fresh gear or parts for your car that weren't there before. Risk vs reward.
Thank you!

Yes that is a great idea. I also wish it was optional to go harder with the survival aspect of at least food and water.

I forgot to mention but usually when I play, I avoid Griffa and don't upgrade many aspects of the gameplay. I keep the fuel tank as low as possible. And my health bar low.

It's like Red Dead 2 the base character stats that you start out with present the greatest challenge. I just wish it was actually part of the game and I didn't have to avoid thins and gimp myself to achieve that.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Thank you!

Yes that is a great idea. I also wish it was optional to go harder with the survival aspect of at least food and water.

I forgot to mention but usually when I play, I avoid Griffa and don't upgrade many aspects of the gameplay. I keep the fuel tank as low as possible. And my health bar low.

It's like Red Dead 2 the base character stats that you start out with present the greatest challenge. I just wish it was actually part of the game and I didn't have to avoid thins and gimp myself to achieve that.

Yeah I play similarly. If you know what you're doing, you can amass those Griffa tokens quick. I usually pocket a bunch and see how far I can go before things get dicey, but then drip feed the skill points into the character, and usually only for stuff like finding extra salvage and fuel conservation. I love the survival and slight struggle. Such a grand part of the experience for me is getting by fights by the skin of your teeth, then stumbling into some underground bunker that caught your eye in the distance and finding a much needed old can of dog food. And maybe a shotgun shell if you're lucky.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
This is so common for me in so many games. I'll usually take upgrades that give me abilities, but never take ones that give me health or armor.

Famipan

Yeah it's a great underrated slow-burn game with great driving and mechanics which somehow reminds me of Days Gone. Giving water to survivors is EXACTLY as boring as helping survivors in DG, but it's fun in a bad way lol!

it's a must to play it in 60fps+ so it's a big shame Warner haven't cared to give Avalanche the budget to release a PS5-patch.
Warner has basically removed most mentions of Mad Max on their site, which I would love to know the reason for. Is the license for using the game not Warner themselves?
Don't they see that a PS5-patch or "PS5-remaster" would increase the sales for not much work?
I tried mailing Avalanche about it but got no response.
Played it on Steam on TV with DS4 and it's excellent that way. Love the dynamic weather, sky, sand and explosions. And the game-engine is so efficient that you can run it in 60fps on a potato PC. It would probably have been possible to run in 60fps even on a PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah it's a great underrated slow-burn game with great driving and mechanics which somehow reminds me of Days Gone. Giving water to survivors is EXACTLY as boring as helping survivors in DG, but it's fun in a bad way lol!

it's a must to play it in 60fps+ so it's a big shame Warner haven't cared to give Avalanche the budget to release a PS5-patch.
Warner has basically removed most mentions of Mad Max on their site, which I would love to know the reason for. Is the license for using the game not Warner themselves?
Don't they see that a PS5-patch or "PS5-remaster" would increase the sales for not much work?
I tried mailing Avalanche about it but got no response.
Played it on Steam on TV with DS4 and it's excellent that way. Love the dynamic weather, sky, sand and explosions. And the game-engine is so efficient that you can run it in 60fps on a potato PC. It would probably have been possible to run in 60fps even on a PS4 Pro.
WB is a real piece of shit publisher.

ungalo

I bought this game on sale some months ago, specifically because of this thread. Call me disappointed, i found the game boring as f**k
It is boring. I understand why people would like it but it totally falls into the Ubisoft open World category.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Awesome to see this thread. The game has been sitting in my steam library since around its release. Finally gave it a real shot on my steam deck oled and was blown away. Great first experience with the system and it was super cool to jump back and forth from my PC to the deck and continue the game.

Which one? I just looked at the trophy list. I dont remember any trophy requiring being connected to servers and Ive sunk almost 200 hours into the game.

"Up to the Task", I believe. If you got that one, then you're safe.

EDIT: Nice trophy list, mate. Be sure to check out the trophy club we got over in communities from time to time.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
"Up to the Task", I believe. If you got that one, then you're safe.

EDIT: Nice trophy list, mate. Be sure to check out the trophy club we got over in communities from time to time.

Ahhhh I dont have that one and thanks! Ill check it out. Didnt know we had a trophy club!

It's fun reading the in-game stuff now that we have someone playing Dementus.

Can't wait to see what is common to the game and Furiosa. If The Wasteland ever comes out (and my bet is TV show), the game will still be relevant in a way. Miller never touched it but it includes many things from that long Fury Road & spin-offs preproduction time. It adapts things (the woman and the kid are an alternate take on Furiosa and Wasteland material) or recycles abandoned ideas (the seabed was originally Fury Road's third act). The vehicles are the 2004-2010 Fury Road designs, which were updated after filming was delayed in 2010.

I thought it looked really good. Those skies, the landscape, amazing.
The locations were top notch. Partially buried church, deserted airport. All really amazing set design.
The driving was really good. Impressed me because I found the driving in Just Cause 2 terrible.
The fighting was OK. It was grisly, I remember that.
The map didn't feel super-collectathon, but maybe that's rose tinted specs talking.

In short, I'd be up for a revisit. It's a great game, it runs really well, it probably plays incredible on the deck. It deserved better.

Some of these indoor locations are really something. They're so dark, grimy and cramped. Shuffling footsteps, shifting shadows - and then they're right in your face, the lantern making them look even more grotesque. This is some Descent shit!
Then you stumble upon bathtubs filled with limbs and organs and you eat some maggots right out of a corpse lmao
This Max is fucking hardcore...

Shut0wen

Its a good game but like all avalanche games its far to long and tedious, would of preferred if alot of filler was removed so there was more missions, wiping out the map was just stupid qnd wasnt even remotely mad max at all and just avalanche not having a fucking clue what to do with the franchise, graphics, gameplay and racing were great though

Top Bottom