• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mario Odyssey is the worst 3D Mario

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I just finished this. I wanted to like Mario Odyssey, I really did guys, but I have to admit it,

it's the worst 3D Mario game.

Yes, even the bastard child of 3D Mario Sunshine is ultimately a better game.

Let's examine the reasons why.

- The moons are dumb. Way too many of them and way too easy to collect, quality over quantity
- The boss battles are piss easy
- The kingdoms are too small
- the ending is bad, Peach doesn't seem appreciative at all, didn't respect my time
- the game is just not very fun. You really expect that it would be but nope.

Yes, the water effects are some of the best in the series, but that's just not enough to stand above Mario Sunshine to me.

How is this one of the best rated games ever?

I paid full price for this and I just wanted to chuck my control on the ground.

You're driving me crazy Nintendo

hulk-hulk-out.gif

kevm3

I agree. It's probably one of my least favorite Mario games. It was ultra easy for the most part and I didn't feel like really playing all the after content to get to the difficulty. I liked Mario 3d World much better, but maybe that's because I prefer a more focused experience than aimlessly wandering around in a somewhat open world.

RCU005

The only thing that Odyssey has done incredibly well is the controls and movement. It’s so fluid and can do so many things never possible before. It really should be the new standard going forward (although I don’t think cappy will return).

Other than that, I agree! It’s not really a great Mario overall.

Galaxy is the true Mario 64 successor. They share so many things and they are very much alike in concept. Odyssey is just sandbox Mario.

However, odyssey concept could evolve in something great if they choose to combine it with new and old things.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think 3D Land isn't even in the same ballpark of quality, and Mario Sunshine... I cannot even digest that game... Moons are way too many but you're not supposed to get them all, some are, in fact requiring a level of time, precision and out of the box thinking that makes post game feel like Different game than story stuff, let alone other side of the moon... It also has lots of great innovations like Different costumes, no lives (finally), etc.

I think it's right after Galaxy in quality to me... But maybe I enjoyed it way more, Galaxy had stupid motion controlled sections that made me frustrate a lot in it's days...

Soosa

Banned
I agree, IMO it is one of the most over rated games ever made.

I wanted to like it, to get the feeling like when playing mario 1 for the first time again.

But, I just didnt, it felt utterly boring and had to almost force myself to continue it. I guess I dont like platformers that much anymore, maybe because the "plot" is "collect coins, the end". Or I dont like 3D marios, those 2D mini games were the best part of the game.

I think that the biggest problem in Nintendo games is the lack of critizism, people defend them to the end of times if someone says anything bad about them. So they feel kind of stagnated, so if gamer likes what they are they are happy, but if gamer wants something new/different, then they are not happy.

They (nintendo games) are like those hot girls that never have to improve their personality, because "everybody" praises them and defends them if someone dares to say something negative.

But it is interesting, how some people say that they really like odyssey and it is 10/10, yet to some it is 4/10. It just shows how different tastes can affect the ratings so much.

I'm sure they are great games for those that like them, and I kind of envy people whom can play them and really like them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I agree with everything you said, especially about there being too many moons. It made it feel much less special to get one for completing some challenge when you could also just find them in random places with zero effort. I didn't even get all of them because of this, which is the only time in a 3D Mario that has happened. There should have been like 1/4 as many, or even less, with all of them being actually meaningful and rewarding.

I'm not sure I think Odyssey is the very worst though, but it's somewhere around Sunshine. 64, the Galaxies and 3D World are all so much more fun. But none of them are actually bad games, some are just less great. Edit: Haven't played 3D Land, so can't rank that.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yup, 100% fact

Awful level design filled with cookie cutter calectathon overload

Most overrated Mario game ever made. Galaxy and 64 are substantially better

Agreed.

I feel like 64 and Sunshine are the last great 3D Mario titles, I like Galaxy too though.

Anything after...I'm done with the series lol I didn't like Odyssey, I didn't like BoTW...they just feel like they have some identity crisis and remove way too much elements from the series, that they barely feel like they belong as mainline titles. BoTW basically feels like they are trying their best to be like Ubisoft with copy and paste newgrounds puzzles (that would even be an insult to newgrounds lol) and Odyssey feels like a lot of copy and paste shit too with so much filler. I get that they had this stuff in the older titles, but the new ones feel more like they are now making the meat of the game, that filler. So, I'd say I'm done with both series and we have to put em in the ole gaming graveyard.

At this point, my most hype Zelda game is God Of War lol Better bosses, better puzzles, actual dungeons lol I just can't take the filler, copy and paste, Ubisoft type thing they have going on and its weird as Nintendo was one of the few publishers were the level design had purpose, like in the older Zelda games, every area had a reason behind it, now its like filler, filler, filler and even AC titles have purpose with each area which is shocking tbh.

I'll get a remake of Sunshine, I'll get a remake of Ocarina Of Time, I think that is at most as far as I'm willing to go with those IP going forward. They both had good runs.

Hohenheim

I prefer Odyssey and Sunshine over Galaxy. Yep. Absolutely loved Sunshine back when it was released on Gamecube,and Odysessy was such great fun.

I don't really care about the characters reactions to being saved etc.. this is a silly platformer,not some immersive "grounded" cinematic adventure.

Agree that the game is way to easy though.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I would go as far as to say only 64 is an elite platformer. Galaxy 1&2 are far better than Odyssey though. Odyssey was just a good game, I find it crazy that it rated as high as BOTW (although the Game of the Year voting showed the consensus on which is best).

Jennings

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Fun
Super Mario Galaxy - Fun
Super Mario 64 - Groundbreaking but too dated
Super Mario Odyssey - Boring and the graphics look terrible (example worlds, Luncheon Kingdom)
Super Mario Sunshine - Annoying and anti-fun

I don't consider these the same types of games, but rate 3D Land much higher than 3D World, and would put 3D World on par with Odyssey:
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Mario 3D World (I haven't tried Bowser's Fury and can't evaluate it since I own 3D World on WiiU)

Last edited:

Hugare

Denzel Washington GIF

I 2nd every single thing that you mentioned

The game was made for babies. It was mindless easy. So easy that you didnt feel rewarded for playing it.

The Galaxy games shit all over it

Last edited:

Kabelly

I would say it has mario best ever controls in any of his games. he is just so fun to move around with. but yea the level design was small feeling.

I sunk a lot of hours into it and love it. The hard levels really showcase the Mario's movement abilities. I wish there was more of that. I honestly would be happy with never getting rid of Cappy again.

edit: and the bunnies are UGly.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I can't trash Odyssey, the game oozes charm and production values but I just wasn't feeling it. Put a few hours in, it's good, I can see the appeal it has, but it just wasn't my thing.

My modern favorite is still 3D World. Takes a while for the difficulty to get there but that game is just damn fun for me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
- The moons are dumb. Way too many of them and way too easy to collect, quality over quantity
I liked that, makes for better pacing than "get star, get kicked from the level, get back in for another star".
- The boss battles are piss easy
Mario games are easy bro, they are aimed at kids. Those games are fun but not the "get a nice challenge" kind of fun.
- The kingdoms are too small
Nah.
- the ending is bad, Peach doesn't seem appreciative at all, didn't respect my time
You expected a handjob while Bowser looks or what.
- the game is just not very fun. You really expect that it would be but nope.
Try weed.

Top Bottom