• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Max Payne 3

gabbo

Oh good OP you saved me from making a thread about how much Max payne 3 sucks....oh wait i must have stumbled into a gaf where everyone is crazy and forgot the shitty mechanics. Yes the shooting is awesome but so fucking what, that's not enough. My main grievance are these:

- After every cutscene the game unequips your selected gun and swaps it for the pistol, this happens IN EVERY LITTLE CUTSCENE. It got me killed a few times because for some reason having my best weapon at the ready when enemies swarm me after a cutscene is not cinematic enough.

-Max payne 3 removes weapons randomly when i'm playing a level, yes you read that right. After certain parts during a chapter the game leaves me with only my pistol, i don't think i have to explain why this is retarded.

-Max payne 1 and 2 had a combat system that really felt more dynamic and more agile than 3, granted it's been awhile since i played those old games but 3 felt more rigid like a lot. 3 felt like it wanted to pay respect to the gameplay of the old games but also want to be a standard third person shooter with the addition of a cover system and i don't think it worked.

-I already saw the story of Max payne 3 it was better when it was called man on fire.

-Max payne had no character arc, someone please tell what was the point of going to brazil. Max starts a fat drunken loser and ends up a.....fat drunken loser with a brazilian shirt.

Please tell i'm not the only fucking person in the world who noticed these things. Also this series is fucking dead, yeah it did 4 million but that's not good enough by rockstar standards and having been trough a development hell so thanks rockstar, thanks a lot.

You ain't alone, man. I feel the same way.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
080308-F-6188A-803.JPG

That is a lot of vitriol.

One of my favorite game is max payne 2, but I really hated MP3. There was no style in the slowmo, you need to change the visuals and sound dramatically when entering slowmo, instead here it was the same as without, and there were enemies that killed me from miles away so I had to take cover all the time. Also the characters were boring and had not much charisma, and the story was forgettable. The dialog, one of the most important aspects of max payne, had none of the witty of the previous entrys.

The technical aspect is superb theres no denying that

And the shooting is the most important.

You're poo-pooing the importance of the basic gameplay, and there are bullet time effects, it hasto its own style, so not sure what you're on about here.

And here's a post of me showing Messofanego's wrong about the game

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=46103722

There's another, more recent one that I'll track down.

DOWN

Banned
Oh good OP you saved me from making a thread about how much Max payne 3 sucks....oh wait i must have stumbled into a gaf where everyone is crazy and forgot the shitty mechanics. Yes the shooting is awesome but so fucking what, that's not enough. My main grievance are these:

- After every cutscene the game unequips your selected gun and swaps it for the pistol, this happens IN EVERY LITTLE CUTSCENE. It got me killed a few times because for some reason having my best weapon at the ready when enemies swarm me after a cutscene is not cinematic enough.

-Max payne 3 removes weapons randomly when i'm playing a level, yes you read that right. After certain parts during a chapter the game leaves me with only my pistol, i don't think i have to explain why this is retarded.

-Max payne 1 and 2 had a combat system that really felt more dynamic and more agile than 3, granted it's been awhile since i played those old games but 3 felt more rigid like a lot. 3 felt like it wanted to pay respect to the gameplay of the old games but also want to be a standard third person shooter with the addition of a cover system and i don't think it worked.

-I already saw the story of Max payne 3 it was better when it was called man on fire.

-Max payne had no character arc, someone please tell what was the point of going to brazil. Max starts a fat drunken loser and ends up a.....fat drunken loser with a brazilian shirt.

Please tell i'm not the only fucking person in the world who noticed these things. Also this series is fucking dead, yeah it did 4 million but that's not good enough by rockstar standards and having been trough a development hell so thanks rockstar, thanks a lot.

elg0am3y6bo1diqtxw17.gif

I don't think you finished the game.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I enjoyed the game, but I'm not sure what everybody's referring to when they say it has superb gunplay. Mainly, there's little to no recoil and not much visual feedback from the weapons. They don't even sound particularly convincing. Yes, the character physics/movement and slow motion effects are very nice, but that's about it.

Just played it last week on the PS3 for the first time. Amazing game, and couldn't believe how good it looked for on the PS3.

nice to see another sane man, i thought i entered bizarro gaf after reading the first page you know the one that is crazy.

If you gonna post a gif at least post one in a high quality, please. Come on dude.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1446-Max-Payne-3/AmnesiacWanderer

Well then you weren't paying that much attention if you think Max ended the game as the exact same person as when it started. I respect your other opinions though, but to say that there wasn't an character arc for Max, it's just false. Sorry.

Bandit1

Best shooting mechanics I've ever played. Nothing beats the slow-mo dive and euphoria. Nice gifs guys.

Cutscenes are a little annoying after you've played through it a couple times but doesn't bother me too much.

The story is really disappointing to me and Max has some character inconsistencies that conflict with the first two games. I can't wrap my head around the plot that Max is supposed to be the fall guy. DeSilva says "You're the fall guy. A bum ex-cop with a history of violence." The thing is Max's history doesn't really matter in Brazil... As corrupt as the government was they wouldn't even need to prove someone had a history of violence. Victor Branco would have been better off framing a thug from the favela, which would have actually been more fitting for his motives and seemingly have justified the UFE raids. And the general fall guy plot for Max would have actually worked best in New York/America... It blows me away that the plot revolves around this.

But then the opening scene in Max's apartment is one of the best scenes in the series.

I don't know, I love it and I hate it. Wish it could have been written by Sam Lake.

MattyG

Banned
I loved this game when it released. Tried going back to it (PS3 version) a few months ago, it hasn't aged very gracefully on consoles. I'm going to have to grab it on PC as soon as there's a sale, because I'm getting the itch to play it again thanks to this thread.

Also, the airport scent combined+the music= GOAT. I downloaded that song a while ago on my phone and play it in the car a the time. It shakes the mirrors a ton because of all the bass in the background.

I enjoyed the game, but I'm not sure what everybody's referring to when they say it has superb gunplay. Mainly, there's little to no recoil and not much visual feedback from the weapons. They don't even sound particularly convincing. Yes, the character physics/movement and slow motion effects are very nice, but that's about it.
The effects need a overhaul i had trouble time seeing projectiles or if i was being shot.

This game was a chore for me

spent the entire game in slow mo dive....

never again
Not only that worst thing about it was how poorly shoot dodge is implemented. Its more shooting and hovering forever, less dodge.

On top of that it extremely easy to be caught on walls or chest high obstacle that all around killing the flow completely. Some of the gifs in this very thread are a inch away from touching a wall sending you out of slow mo and fumbling around like a clumsy spaz.

The controls are so bad they feel delayed and awkward nothing like a max payne game.

On a raw mechanical level, this was, and still is the greatest third person shooter I have ever played.

Is it perfect? Hell no, but once the bullet time kicks in and you are threading your way through a hail of lead in mid air, you tend to forget what nagging complaints you may have.

Played it for the first time a few days ago and it was fucking garbage.

30 seconds of gameplay followed by minutes of awful Tony Scott wannabe bullshit, repeat ad nauseam. Barely worth the $4 I paid for it.

The shootouts were fantastic. However whenever i feel like reinstalling it, i remember the cutscenes and lose interest.

I swear, if the game let me skip those, i would have beat that game start to finish several times by now instead of just once.

Played it entirely 4 times and I still replay single levels from time to time, the shooting, animation and music can't be beat. The fact that the locations are also stunning and the dialog is pretty good helps as well

MattyG344 said:
I loved this game when it released. Tried going back to it (PS3 version) a few months ago, it hasn't aged very gracefully on consoles. I'm going to have to grab it on PC as soon as there's a sale, because I'm getting the itch to play it again thanks to this thread.

Also, the airport scent combined+the music= GOAT. I downloaded that song a while ago on my phone and play it in the car a the time. It shakes the mirrors a ton because of all the bass in the background.
Huh? I just played it on 360 the other week and it still looks and controls fantastic, framerate is solid as well. Also yeah I ended up getting the entire soundtrack and then HEALTH's two LP's because of the game. mmmmm

Perfect timing! I just reinstalled this today and I'm jumping in for a go in about 30 minutes. Only ever played an hour or two

Once I get my social club account linked back properly, maybe a few people here would like to setup some multiplayer matches in the future?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Well then you weren't paying that much attention if you think Max ended the game as the exact same person as when it started. I respect your other opinions though, but to say that there wasn't an character arc for Max, it's just false. Sorry.

I'm curious, so what was the character arc of Max payne 3? Maybe i missed the whole point of the game while i was busy killing all those randoms thugs and cops. Maybe it was about redemption, Max drinks a beer and rides into the unset after killing all of the bad guys, the end. At what point did max changed?

The shooting is so good, I can't help but love the game. The thousands of unskippable cutscenes and a few other problems are annoying though.

Disgraced

Story is bad. Nearly everything is Max's fault for being an incompetent moron. From an unstoppable revenge-machine in the first game to a nonsensical monologuing sad sack in 2 and 3. But they make you watch it. You can't skip the damn cutscenes. People give the bullshit excuse that they're "loading," but no. I refuse to believe a PC game is loading for 5 minutes straight, also: You can quit the game, start it up again, and have that level that supposedly took 5 minutes to load while a cutscene played load in 10 seconds. Funny how that works.

The shootan is ridiculous though.
Dude, he knows very well he's an incompetent moron. He doesn't need you to say it too. Many of the unfortunate events in the game are very much his fault. Like him ending up in Sao Paulo to begin with. But here's the thing: certain forms of depression can leave you very gullible, accepting whatever your told for the sake of companionship, to fit in, and to attempt to keep moving on.

Yes, he's sad. How the hell else is he supposed to feel? Have you really looked at what his life's been? Half circumstantially, he's become a highly cynical clinically depressed drug-addict in an extremely fragile state. And at the same time, he's an utterly unstoppable terrifying force that's still reckoned with and manipulated, because of his inner soft, brittle and broken emotional state. He's physically the unstoppable force and psychologically the immovable object.

Somebody didn't pay attention.

This was his character arc: the basis of the plot is about someone who's both the unstoppable force and the immovable object learning to move again. And if he learns to move again, is he still unstoppable?

What was the point of going to Brazil?
The point is there was no point. It clearly establishes multiple times in the intro cutscene and again and again throughout the game that's it's the same shit, with a different locale and language. It's Max personal purgatorial paradox. He tried to escape his past, and yet again history ended up repeating itself. Once he reaches his moment of clarity, accepting his age and his fate, he makes it his suicide mission to finally make some at least slight sort of real difference in his life.

This is all according to my own opinion and interpretation, of course.

At the beginning of the game, at the main menu it's shot of him sitting smoking and boozing in his apartment. At the end, at the main menu after the credits the same camera shot is used except this time he's kicking it at the beach and instead of alcohol, it's soda.
Take that as you may.
Definitely my favorite shooter of last gen. The game absolutely has too many cutscenes, but you can't deny that some of Max's dialogue was genuinely hilarious.
Black comedy at it's finest, IMO.
Best third person shooter of last gen, next to Vanquish. Absolutely loved my time with the multiplayer too; so many epic matches before the rocket launcher grinders appeared. Diving everywhere in bullet time, watching each shot pierce against the wall, glass, a face was absolutely mesmerizing.
I'd say they're the two best third person shooters ever made.

SJRB

Gold Member
I appreciated the quality of the game itself but something about it really rubbed me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on it, though.

I bought it, played through it and never touched it again. There was just something "off" with the controls I guess, it wasn't satisfying. Also too many moments where you'd get critically hit and go into that slow-motion recovery only for Max to fall to the wrong side leaving you unable to shoot at anyone.

I don't know, the game was needlessly frustrating at times.

I'm curious, so what was the character arc of Max payne 3? Maybe i missed the whole point of the game while i was busy killing all those randoms thugs and cops. Maybe it was about redemption, Max drinks a beer and rides into the unset after killing all of the bad guys, the end. At what point did max changed?

Well, at the end that was actually a soda. I mean, do you really want me to go through his arc? Or are you going to remain stubborn and it really wouldn't matter what I would say? I mean it really is screenwriting 101 and follows "the hero's journey" closely.

Fuck it, here it goes. (though its not told in a linear fashion because of the flashback format)

1. Limited awareness of problem:
Max is an alcoholic and doesn't give fuck all.

2. Increased awareness of the need for change:
NYC mob attacks after shooting the mob bosses son on a drunken whim. Later the yacht attack. All those fucking bodies.

3. Fear; Resistance to Change:
Knows he needs to get his act together, though still hits the bottle at the nightclub and really hits it after losing Fabiana.

4. Overcoming Fear:
Branco attack. Max barely makes it out alive. Shaves head and goes cold turkey. <--- "Rebirth"

5. Committing to change:
Lone wolfing in the thick of it inside the Favelas. Nodes to old Max the detective, asking around about Fabiana and following clues. Gets a soda when offered a drink by Da Silva at the strip club.

7. Preparing for major change:
Da Silva fills him in on some of the real players in the game. Not just gang members but also private military.

8. Big change with feeling of life and death:
Fabiana in gunned down in front of him and therefore...

9. Accepting consequences of new life:
Lost Fabiana but can still save Giovanna and reunite her back with Passos.
10. New challenge and Re-dedication:
Finds out about the human organ smuggling and the corrupt police who are also behind it. Determined to take down Becker. Also finds out Victor was in on it.

11. Final attempt(s) Last minute dangers:
Turns himself in willingly to try and get Becker. He gets away. ("Tears" plays. AMAZING) Finally goes through taking down everyone at the airport.

12. Mastery:
Max is back and true to form! Sipping on a soda sees that Victor got what was coming to him. Walks away like a badass ("Tears" plays again now even more awesome!)

Like I said before, I appreciate your opinions about the mechanics or if you didn't like the story. But when it comes to the character, this is actually one of the rare occasions in games when you get to see a flawed character. And also a character that realizes his flaws and proceeds to try and make a change.

SRTtoZ

People hate on it but its one of my favorite TPS ever. The ride it takes you on from start to finish is amazing and the actual gunplay is insanely satisfying. One of the levels near the end where you
come down the baggage belt at the airport and the music kicks in
, seriously, its one of the best feelings ever.

Since everyone else is posting their 'negatives', id have to say that my least favorite part is the entire cheats section. I get that they wanted to add replayability by putting goals in the game to unlock the cheats but after I beat it a few times I wanted to play through the game just for the story with unlimited health/ammo and it was annoying that I had to get gold medals and shit.

I appreciated the quality of the game itself but something about it really rubbed me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on it, though.

I bought it, played through it and never touched it again. There was just something "off" with the controls I guess, it wasn't satisfying. Also too many moments where you'd get critically hit and go into that slow-motion recovery only for Max to fall to the wrong side leaving you unable to shoot at anyone.

I don't know, the game was needlessly frustrating at times.

Shoot dodge and land in cover, or kill everyone before you land. Firing from cover sucks. Spam roll to move through dangerous area. The game never explains as far as I know that you have infinite bullet time as long as you're dodging, which is pretty important. The "last stand" thing usually didn't work so well though, with the physics and bad angles.

My favourite TPS of last gen, gunplay was amazing ,graphics were great, story of redemption was well done and the best thing about it was it was friggen HARD, and no auto regen health shit.

The only bad thing i can say about the game was the unskippable/unnecessary cutscenes, but i guess that was a tech limitation. Give me another version with those things fixed and it would be perfect.

Sadly i am pretty sure the game bombed so i doubt rockstar are willing to try again.

I am secretly hoping the gta5 hd version has even more of max shooting mechanics put into it.

My favourite TPS of last gen, gunplay was amazing ,graphics were great, story of redemption was well done and the best thing about it was it was friggen HARD, and no auto regen health shit.

The only bad thing i can say about the game was the unskippable/unnecessary cutscenes, but i guess that was a tech limitation. Give me another version with those things fixed and it would be perfect.

Sadly i am pretty sure the game bombed so i doubt rockstar are willing to try again.

I am secretly hoping the gta5 hd version has even more of max shooting mechanics put into it.

4 million. But yeah, it was development for so long.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Well, at the end that was actually a soda. I mean, do you really want me to go through his arc? Or are you going to remain stubborn and it really wouldn't matter what I would say? I mean it really is screenwriting 101 and follows "the hero's journey" closely.

Fuck it, here it goes. (though its not told in a linear fashion because of the flashback format)

1. Limited awareness of problem:
Max is an alcoholic and doesn't give fuck all.

2. Increased awareness of the need for change:
NYC mob attacks after shooting the mob bosses son on a drunken whim. Later the yacht attack. All those fucking bodies.

3. Fear; Resistance to Change:
Knows he needs to get his act together, though still hits the bottle at the nightclub and really hits it after losing Fabiana.

4. Overcoming Fear:
Branco attack. Max barely makes it out alive. Shaves head and goes cold turkey. <--- "Rebirth"

5. Committing to change:
Lone wolfing in the thick of it inside the Favelas. Nodes to old Max the detective, asking around about Fabiana and following clues. Gets a soda when offered a drink by Da Silva at the strip club.

7. Preparing for major change:
Da Silva fills him in on some of the real players in the game. Not just gang members but also private military.

8. Big change with feeling of life and death:
Fabiana in gunned down in front of him and therefore...

9. Accepting consequences of new life:
Lost Fabiana but can still save Giovanna and reunite her back with Passos.
10. New challenge and Re-dedication:
Finds out about the human organ smuggling and the corrupt police who are also behind it. Determined to take down Becker. Also finds out Victor was in on it.

11. Final attempt(s) Last minute dangers:
Turns himself in willingly to try and get Becker. He gets away. ("Tears" plays. AMAZING) Finally goes through taking down everyone at the airport.

12. Mastery:
Max is back and true to form! Sipping on a soda sees that Victor got what was coming to him. Walks away like a badass ("Tears" plays again now even more awesome!)

Like I said before, I appreciate your opinions about the mechanics or if you didn't like the story. But when it comes to the character, this is actually one of the rare occasions in games when you get to see a flawed character. And also a character that realizes his flaws and proceeds to try and make a change.

You are right max does have an arc, i didn't notice that he was ordering sodas after he shaved his head. I guess the arc was subtle or i just didnt pay attention by that point because of my problems with the gameplay. I still think the overall story coulda been better tough.

The biggest mystery is how R* messed up the shooting mechanics in GTAV after releasing this. Max Payne 3 was literally one of the reasons I was looking forward to it, but low and behold, GTA had to continue it's tradition of janky, sub-standard TPS gameplay.

Even though some may have not liked the story, but I will say, I liked Max Payne more in this game probably more than the other games, even though what he had to go through in the first game was beyond shitty (not in quality, but no one should go through that). As said before, Max Payne in 3 is a flawed character that has an arc, grows and becomes better from it.

I do still hope we see another Max Payne game. I really did enjoy 3 a lot. Played it more than MP1 or MP2.

You are right max does have an arc, i didn't notice that he was ordering sodas after he shaved his head. I guess the arc was subtle or i just didnt pay attention by that point because of my problems with the gameplay. I still think the overall story coulda been better tough.

It's a little deeper than just switching to soda...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZO9SfE3yyY#t=4170

Pretty much the peak of his arc.

The biggest mystery is how R* messed up the shooting mechanics in GTAV after releasing this. Max Payne 3 was literally one of the reasons I was looking forward to it, but low and behold, GTA had to continue it's tradition of janky, sub-standard TPS gameplay.

Yeah. I was surprised too. It's GTA V definitely has the best shooting of the franchise. But yeah, why not just bring the same tight controls over? Maybe it was due to memory constraints with the older consoles when creating an open world game? It's a long shot, but I hope that this is one of the "improved features" that will be in the current gen versions.

MacNille

Banned
It is an amazing game and one of the best TPS of the last generation. I find it to be very black in is humor and the story is not halfbad.

When I was done with the game, I made the face that my avatar makes.

Got it for 5 bucks from XBL some time ago. Enjoyed it, but decided that I should start from the beginning since I had never played the first two (I was a huge Alan Wake fan already though).

So after lots of tweaking and stuff I finally managed to get Max Payne 1 to run on my Surface Pro 2 (compatibility problems). Playing through it now and I'm enjoying it a lot.

It's awesome to know that I have this entire sweet franchise still in front of me. Can't wait to jump into Max Payne 2 and then "return" to 3. I'm really curious to experience that airport scene...

Silky

Banned
I'm playing through GTAV right now, and despite my love for this game's story mode, Max Payne 3 is still Rockstar's finest title of last gen.

I love this game. It's sad how much vitriol is thrown around when new developers take over a franchise, despite how great the new game may be (see DmC).

Barrylad

Neo Member
Man, this is really making me want to replay Max Payne 3. I beat it, very much enjoyed it, played around with the different Max skins you unlock after one playthrough, sunk TONNES of time into the surprisingly good multiplayer and then moved on. Me and my pals, in our crew, maybe spent twice as much time in MP3 multiplayer than in GTA: Online. I guess that's illustrative of a game over-achieving with minimal hype, versus a game not delivering when it's built up with "game changer!!" hype.

But yeah, it's really great. It's an interesting game to discuss in terms of sequels because I think it strikes a good balance of being different and fresh, while also remaining true to the series. I loved the change of setting and the advancing of Max's character, beyond the well worn ground of the first two games. You can still have an awesome, pulpy, noir story outside the confines of grey New York. I thought that balance they struck was superb. I totally appreciated the decision to abandon the comic panel cutscenes (which I loved, don't get me wrong) but I don't know if what they did with those filters was the best decision.

Like most here, I loved the physics, the realism, and the satisfying nature of the gunplay in general. I did have gameplay gripes though, and I don't quite know if I'd go into GOTG territory or even GOTY territory. It had what I now consider a reoccurring and significant balancing issue with Rockstar games. Auto-aim makes you God like when it's turned on, but when it's turned off it feels like I've bumped the difficulty up two tiers. The implementation of a cover system, while necessary in this day and age, felt at odds with what Max Payne is. In order for a cover system to be worthwhile, the player has to be punished for not using it, which this game does. But to me, that's not Max Payne. Coupled with Max's (very awesome and realistic) sluggish ass, old man recovery from his trademark dives and there where times when I felt like I was being pulverised for playing this game like a Max Payne game. My dual pistol, slow-motion diving time was lower than I'd like.

Foibles aside, it's still super. Great story, satisfying shoot-bangs. And that music, my God! After the big finale, with that airport scene, I legit went on iTunes and bought the OST. Should be in the conversation for best OST in a game, ever.

I would so double dip this if we got a remaster. Although I dont think there should be any other remasters. Loved the heck outa this game. gotta play on harder difficulty though, otherwise its too easy

Top Bottom