• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metal Gear Rising - Metal Gear!?

SCB3

So there seems to be resurgence of this game being mentioned and its actually one of the few Metal Gear games I've not played (I think AC!D 2 and Ghost Babel being the others) so with it being on Sale and BC on Series X I figured why the hell not, lets jump in

Immediately, wtf is this? So much for Tactical Espionage Action and instead into cutting the fuck out of a Metal Gear Ray! Almost straight out of Vanquish or Bayonetta, Who made this? Oh shit, its Platinum! This outta be some fast fun

Guilty_AI

touhou-standing-here-i-realize.gif

GametimeUK

You're in for a hell of a ride. I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough years ago. It seemingly took forever for the game to release, but it was worth it in the end.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm legit jealous of you playing this for the first time.

Have fun! For me, the clear prize is taken by the boss fights and the soundtrack.

Also, a few tips:
  • Learn to parry ASAP (did you parried the MG Rex? you can breeze through the fight by using parries)
  • Unlock the ability that lets you dodge as soon as possible. I think it's done with Light attack + Jump. Very useful.

I remember back in 2013 that everybody hated the game because it wasnt an espionage game. There was no Snake and it was not made directly by the sacred hands of Kojima.

SCB3

I'm legit jealous of you playing this for the first time.

Have fun! For me, the clear prize is taken by the boss fights and the soundtrack.

Also, a few tips:
  • Learn to parry ASAP (did you parried the MG Rex? you can breeze through the fight by using parries)
  • Unlock the ability that lets you dodge as soon as possible. I think it's done with Light attack + Jump. Very useful.
Yea I'm loving this Soundtrack, very unexpected and very good

And yea I thought I learnt to parry until I faced Jetstream Sam and I'm glad you mentioned a dodge, I was wondering if I could do that

SCB3

I remember back in 2013 that everybody hated the game because it wasnt an espionage game. There was no Snake and it was not made directly by the sacred hands of Kojima.
And the Fact that MGS4 had been out a while and seen a s a bit of a disappointment (and was stuck on PS3 and rumoured every year to be coming for Xbox 360) and Kojima stepped away for V (This version was changed early on, there is a synopsis of Kojima's version somewhere, I'll read it after I've finished)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Maybe in a parallel universe. Game was awesome and reviewed well.
Yeah same here. I remember some pals who were also MG fans not liking it, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Sequel when? :messenger_downcast_sweat:

dr_octagon

Banned
Kill robots with sword, nano machines, ninja action, great stuff and I'm not even a fan of Vanquish or Bayonetta.

Bragr

Banned
The end boss fight cutscenes are worth the entire game.

But, its extremely button-mashy. I also played it recently and was bored with the fighting towards the end.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Well, the gamers who criticized will be very rare, because it was one of my expected games, since it came out I loved the Spin off.

Also, Raiden is a badass like Cyborg.

I even plan to buy a Raiden figure in the future with the suit from Metal Gear Solid 4.

CoordinatedBeautifulGoshawk-size_restricted.gif

Do some gamers criticize such a great game, for small issues? To this great game!!!!? C,mon!!

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Im halfway through it (first playthrough) , currently in the monsoon boss fight. I really like it so far but it does get a bit button mashy and the levels can be a little boring. But the set pieces and boss battles are awesome lol.

SCB3

I played about an hour or so today, did the Blade Wolf boss and damn it can be rough, it feels like I'm fighting the camera a lot and to be honest, the Upgrade system sucks, its well hidden and certain skills like the dodge should NEVER be not unlocked from the start

Still it reminds me of a low budget mix between the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy mixed with the classic Devil May Cry 1-4 games, not a bad thing but showing its age now

Top Bottom