• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Monster Hunter Rise (Switch)

ManaByte

When MH Rise released on Switch I was playing other things and thought the game, coming towards The latter half of the console’s life, would be another performance eyesore. So I passed it up.

Its on sale this week before the expansion and I decided to give it a chance. I’ve been playing Arceus a lot lately, so I braced myself for something comparable graphically. When I saw the RE Engine logo I winced. How is that going to translate to the Switch?

What sorcerery did Capcom do to make this? It’s one of the most impressive Switch games. I’m playing it docked and it looks like a PS4 game.

Really wish I jumped on it sooner, but I’ll get the expansion now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Capcom are good at making good looking game even with the limitation of the systems….

Remember Resident Evil Revelations? This was a 3DS game.
rer1ex8c.gif

Chukhopops

It’s the best MH game after Generations Ultimate and the expansion brings it even higher with the new skills.

If you’re just starting you might as well wait until you finish the village + hub before you buy the expansion.

GymWolf

Lol it doesn't look like a ps4 game at all, and i played the whole thing on pc at 5k.

World is already much better looking is not even funny and world itself is not that good looking compared to the best games on ps4, framework mt show his age.

Best looking thing are the village (mostly for the naruto artstyle) and some monsters, but the locations are ugly Af.

The game itself bored me after around 35 hours, hopefully world 2 is not gonna keep anything from this one except the switch moves.

Last edited:

Sojiro

When MH Rise released on Switch I was playing other things and thought the game, coming towards The latter half of the console’s life, would be another performance eyesore. So I passed it up.

Its on sale this week before the expansion and I decided to give it a chance. I’ve been playing Arceus a lot lately, so I braced myself for something comparable graphically. When I saw the RE Engine logo I winced. How is that going to translate to the Switch?

What sorcerery did Capcom do to make this? It’s one of the most impressive Switch games. I’m playing it docked and it looks like a PS4 game.

Unfortunately people are going to be hard focused on the bolded and ignore the rest of your post.

But yeah you definitely waited a while on a great thing, and I agree, the game looks surprisingly good given the hardware it is running on, easily one of the best looking games on the system imo. I just recently got every quest in the game finished before sunbreak and can't wait to try out the new locales and monsters it is bringing.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

I’ve started it this week too and I agree that it’s the Switch’s best looking game. I’m playing it on the OLED and it’s clean.

SirTerry-T

Yeah prepare for the horsepower fetishists to jump on that bolded comment ;)

Fuck 'em though, the game looks great and the art direction is gorgeous

SSfox

Capcom are good at making good looking game even with the limitation of the systems….

Remember Resident Evil Revelations? This was a 3DS game.
rer1ex8c.gif
Yeah, i remember how Revelation looked above anything on 3DS, it Capcom talent here, and also even if a hardware is super weak but if you're making it exclusive it will also help to push its limits and have something that looks fine.

SCB3

RE Engine is a damned Miracle

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
220 hours with the Switch version. Some docked and some handheld. Game is phenomenal and, imo, shows how much Capcom has grown as a developer. Implementing QoL improvement's, changing some core elements, making is far more accessible while still keeping the hard core fans happy (...that's a lie no one is every happy but whatever).

Next week is going to be a BLAST and I hope the Gaf community for MH:R becomes more active and folks are open for group hunts!

I started playing through the PC version in earnest last week. I had this pipe dream that I could catch up with my switch progress before sunbreak is released, that isn't happening. I do love the game in 244hrz...but I don't want to miss all of the group play while I am trying to catch up.

Kacho

Gold Member
I'm LTTP on the PC version and that port is sublime. Playing in ultrawide at 144hz is such a fucking luxury. lol

However, I still mostly play on Switch. Partly because of my progress but also because of the larger playerbase and portability. Being able to pick up my Switch and jump in a quick hunt is hard to pass up. On the PC version finding players for specific hunts can be hit or miss unless I'm playing at peak hours which blows. I don't want to grind all the hub content solo.

Its one of the best games on the system and my favorite MH game ever made. Not only does it look good but its the first MH with gyro controls. Played a heavy gunner for like 300 hours in 3 months. Can't go back to dual stick only; just primitive and inaccurate.

Woopah

Took me a while to get back into it but now I'm fully engrossed. Have only just reached high rank so still have a long way to go!

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I enjoy MH Rise alot (not as much as world but still its Monster Hunter)

but have you played world before? Rise is noticeably lacking in everyway... I would say the monsters the least though they obviously did as much work as possible to trim them down and still look good, but the environments suffer heavily especially on texture quality.

7fn03qh9s3d81.png

Rise on left compared to worlds Rathalos model you can see the cuts made to the model to help out with the hardware its a great looking switch game, but we literally have a PS4 Monster Hunter and it looks a fair bit better.

Haggard

Banned
7fn03qh9s3d81.png

Rise on left compared to worlds Rathalos model you can see the cuts made to the model to help out with the hardware its a great looking switch game, but we literally have a PS4 Monster Hunter and it looks a fair bit better.
And even that is only because Capcom put the lions share of the performance budget towards the monsters.
The levels are... very "squary" and empty with shadows missing throughout.
It looks good for a handheld game, but the comparisons to the graphics of world and co. are ridiculous hyperbole.....

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s one of the best games on the Switch. I did all the Village quests and messed around with the hub quests. I should have stuck with it cause I could have been DLC ready by now. I’m going back to get ready for the DLC.

SirTerry-T

I enjoy MH Rise alot (not as much as world but still its Monster Hunter)

but have you played world before? Rise is noticeably lacking in everyway... I would say the monsters the least though they obviously did as much work as possible to trim them down and still look good, but the environments suffer heavily especially on texture quality.

7fn03qh9s3d81.png

Showing plain geo without normal maps, albedo and surface maps doing their magic isn't really showing the full picture.

They could have probably cut the PS4 models down and you wouldn't really have noticed any difference, the silhouettes of those two models are practically the same.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
👆

The maps are beautiful, dunno what drugs the nooblets/haters are on to claim otherwise. Flow wise they're the best of the series and combine great art and pre-World expert design with its lack of loading. Sure, micro details are pared back, but it's not just because of Switch. The freedom of all the new mechanics means you can climb and wirebug past almost any obstacle/wall/mountain to get views of the full map and its landmarks from one edge to the other, from any angle or from sky high, like some Spider-Man hunter, rather than being led down corridors and arenas with no room for deviation. Going back to World feels restrictive and slow, almost like going back to the previously segmented and limited areas of Freedom Unite after playing World. No excessive amount of foliage (and plenty ugly textures and assets folks somehow like to ignore on the big consoles) hides it.

This video shows some of it. They (duh) focus on the relics rather than look down/around all the areas they get to so it's not the full effect but you may see how deceptive the simple mini map is (Sunbreak's Citadel with its biomes will hopefully be even better). Of course it elevates the combat too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom