• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...

How good music in Nier series is?

• Amazing!

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Great!

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • FFXV has better OST

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm deaf

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Bojji

After completing Elden Ring I didn't know what to play, everything felt weak in comparison but then I remembered that I have Nier Replicant Remaster in my libary!

Xbox version of NR looks fine, it's 1440p and runs 60FPS on Series X, some things looks dated (it's PS3 game...) but everything is overhauled in Automata engine, so no complaints here in this department but I'm not sure how other versions play. In terms of audio, MUSIC is quite amazing and just like in Automata it creates incredible atmosphere in this game and sometimes i just stopped moving my character and just listened. There are many amazing tracks and even remixed version (in DLC levels), one of the best in any game i have ever played.

Now gameplay... It's problematic, core aspects of the game are very solid, combat is good enough but the worst offender is backtracking: Player have to go to every place several times and fast travel unlocks much later into the game. There are only few main locations and enemy variety isn't great so in this aspects Automata improved a lot.

Story: It's very good, super mystical and game itself don't answer all the questions player might have (I had to visit Nier wiki) but main story arc is interesting and clear enough and characters grow up on you a lot. But to fully experience story of this game player must complete it at least 3 times, that quadruples backtracking problem and differences between runs are very few (mostly in cutscenes), in Automata each route was very different.

HD remake brings Ending E that adds conclusion to the game, allows to play as a different character and shows new locations BUT it requires 3 and a half playthroughs to unlock so not everyone will be able to experience it :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Overall I really liked this title, it's weaker than its sequel in many aspects but magic is here and I loved the story, music and atmosphere. 8/10

Some of the best tracks:

Love this game! I'm in the process of clearing other routes after I beat the main one! Like it better than Automata tbh, not that that was bad but this to me, feels like the true Nier in a sense. It hits harder, combat is punchier, etc. I definitely want to fully beat this game soon

Cyborg

I only played it on PS5 but after Automata it was a disaster. All the running in and out areas also that beginning with the church. I was how many times will I need to run. I reached ending C and gave up.

Larxia

I haven't played this game yet because while I loved a big part of Automata, Route B was the lowest point of the game for me. I really disliked this route, having to go through exactly the same things again, but just with an other characters who is actually less fun to play, it felt like a downgrade of something already repetitive. Loved route A and C though.
A friend who played NieR Replicant told me that if I already hated route b in automata because of how repetitive it is, I would hate NieR Replicant as a whole because it's apparently much worse in that aspect, with having to play through the exact same paths multiple time just for a different cutscene or something.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
What is up with lower-budget Japanese RPGs punching way above their weight with music? Persona and Nier series especially.
Trigger GIF by MOODMAN

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve remembered Nier’s OST more than I have a lot of other Square games in recent years. It has a very timeless feel to it. Something about it is like a pure fantasy adventure.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This game, well the 2010 original release, was the most perfect gaming sucker punch ever.

Coming out just a bit after FF13 here's this odd-looking, clearly low-budget oddity from perpetual also-rans Cavia. Its funny because I'm not sure quite what caught my attention about it, I'd read the hilarious Dark Id's "lets play" of Drakengard and knew its director had form for weirdness and pranksterism, but I really didn't know exactly what to expect.

Its one of very few games that have literally blown my mind.

Obviously a big part of that is/was the surprise factor, so with its sequel revisiting most of its best "tricks" and reverting back to the original youthful protagonist of the Japanese release losing the additional camouflage of ugly, dumb, daddy Nier, I'm not sure that can quite be replicated (no pun intended) in the present day.

But still, that music, Yoko's ruthlessly efficient emotional manipulation, and the odd mix of parodic and serious elements make it a classic for me.

Aldric

Definitely one of the greatest OSTs ever and a very memorable experience. No idea why so many people seem to hold the story in such high regard because even if Yoko Taro is definitely competent at emotional manipulation (greatly helped by the top notch presentation from the art director and composer) and very creative in his use of the media the story is pretty fucking stupid once you start thinking about it for more than ten seconds. Still the atmosphere of the game(s) is unique and I hope they eventually make a third one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Definitely one of the greatest OSTs ever and a very memorable experience. No idea why so many people seem to hold the story in such high regard because even if Yoko Taro is definitely competent at emotional manipulation (greatly helped by the top notch presentation from the art director and composer) and very creative in his use of the media the story is pretty fucking stupid once you start thinking about it for more than ten seconds. Still the atmosphere of the game(s) is unique and I hope they eventually make a third one.

I disagree that the story is stupid. Its very much in the tradition of allegorical SF where the narrative exists purely to support and pose a particular ethical or philosophical question. It probably helps a lot to bear in mind that Yoko is extremely self-aware of the medium he's working in; he's not trying to be cute by layering in all these references to other games its there to make the player comfortable with that traditionally simplistic moral framework so he can counterpoint it in an emotional reality.

It all kinda rose up out of the original concept for the game which was characters within a storybook world becoming aware of their pre-destined roles as "goodies" and "baddies" and trying to break out of this closed loop of self versus system. Obviously Automata returns to this theme and he wraps it up much more digestibly by placing it within a more traditional SF context.

Nier Gestalt/Replicant is a lot looser and more esoteric with its lore mish-mashing science and magic due to it building out from Drakengard, but its word-view is very much the same. The big difference is that he's working from the implicit understanding that the story of a game is still just another story being told. So like novels have chapters and punctuation and all the formality that comes with that form, so do games have these basic structural elements like side-quests, and missions where you fight a boss to gain new powers.

You like the protagonist go along with this transparent artifice of collecting the lost verses, not for any real reason other than because that's what your supposed to do. And of course Yoko being Yoko, that breadcrumb path always leads to a trap.

And that, for me, is just thrilling and fucking brilliant.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nier series have godly soundtrack but I also really liked Drakengard 3's OST as well.

With Lady Five's boss fight I really like the transition from her song to boss fight music.

Also true final boss music was AMAZING!

Bojji

OST is great, but the game felt "Meh" after playing Automata.

I only played it on PS5 but after Automata it was a disaster. All the running in and out areas also that beginning with the church. I was how many times will I need to run. I reached ending C and gave up.

Yeah if I played it just after Automata I wouldn't be able to progress much into it.

Just like after ending A and B i took few days break and played other stuff.

Repetitiveness is the weakest point of this game and after Elden Ring it's just too damn easy :messenger_grinning_sweat:

This was one of my favorite games from last year.

Nier's biggest flaw is by far the backtracking and having to do the same sections over and over in routes B, C, etc. Automata pulled off the second walkthrough concept much better (thanks to different levels and more varied gameplay) and replaced it with an actual story continuation before it outstayed its welcome.

That being said, all of this was made bearable by the beautiful soundtrack which I still listen to regularly. Adding tracks from Automata was a great choice as well.

I actually like the simple combat a lot and would like to see more games iterate on it.

I also like that this is a small-scope game that doesn't require 100 hours to beat. Everything from the premise to the characters, lore, themes, set pieces, is extremely fascinating and unique even to this day. The voice actors did a fantastic job too.

I want to see more games like this: small scope, solid combat, varied gameplay, an original premise and concepts, interesting characters you grow attached to, well developed theme, intriguing lore, ambitious music, not too long to beat. I don't mind if the gameplay has flaws, or the graphics not too pretty, but I want a real creative vision.

Bojji

"Kaine Salvation" is quite something....

I didn't like her character at all at first but she gets better and better and... ending E is amazing. I love the fact that main characters are mocking her (aimed at weebs) ridiculous outfit.

Borowski_1

I didn't like her character at all at first but she gets better and better and... ending E is amazing. I love the fact that main characters are mocking her (aimed at weebs) ridiculous outfit.
My fav chars (played the original from 2010) were Weiss and Fyra, but liked Kainé and the others as well

Playing it at the moment. They butchered the music by re-recording it. For some reason they've removed nearly all the percussion, or they've placed it so far back in the mix that you can barely hear it. Emi's new vocals aren't anywhere near as good either, they've lost a lot of the punch and the harmonies aren't as strong.
Some of the expanded sections are nice, with some new acoustic guitar segments being added to 2 of the tracks, but that's not enough of a consolation as they are very short.
Really disappointing, i never thought i'd be turning the volume down while playing a Nier game but here we are. Hopefully someone can mod the original soundtrack back in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom