• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP/Ongoing: Final Fantasy XiV: Stormblood - I will catch up to the end game one day!

SCB3

Ah now this is an interesting game, my first MMO in fact, I remember playing this back in 2015 ish (ARR had not long been out) and jumped on and off it for year, but lets buckle down and actually finish this fucking MSQ, playing on PS5 with a Mouse as the Map still sucks to use on a Controller, I did however straight up buy Endwalker as it contained all the expansions anyway (I wish Destiny would do this, or all games in fact)

I found myself at the end of Heavensward in the post game Patches and very quickly got up to speed as a White Mage, I like playing a Healer in this and a few practice Dungeons later its was like muscle memory, over 100 hours in so far and now Stormblood is next (I kinda wanna play a Ninja at some point, they seem cool). Holy shit was I not expecting such a bloody start to this, Nidhogg was fucking awesome of a boss but this Knight slaughtering everyone is something else, and finished up the first new Dungeon here "The Sirensong Sea" which is a fun little Pirate adventure. Something new that SE added was the ability to Solo Dungeons with NPC's, I liked this but I'm now past the part where they've been added, so now its back to queuing.

I've found the way to tackle this is a couple of hours at at time, I'm not super interested in the side content yet as I wanna do the MSQ and Dungeons/Raids as they're my favorite type of content, and its long enough, this Wiki is doing me well so far:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Not gonna lie, I envy your getting to experience what’s ahead for the first time. I’ve taken a break from the game after completing Endwalker, but I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in store. They wrapped up their 10-year story arc pretty nicely and we’re entering uncharted territory for the game with an inbound fresh new coat of paint.

I've played on and off over the years since 1.0 was launched. I'm on the last MSQ step of Heavensward. I have Stormblood and Shadowbringer but since I still have those to get through I never pulled the trigger on Endwalker. Perhaps I'll buy the whole bundle on Steam once I pick up a steam deck later this year.

Glad you are enjoying it. It's always a good fallback between other bigger releases or luls in content on Destiny 2.

Synless

I always tell myself I’ll get back into this. I stopped at Heavensward. I saw a VR mod that might get me back in one day if I decide to not be lazy and get a top level pc someday. I just don’t have patience with all the shit that comes along with PC gaming.

Rush2112

Banned
stopped at the rabbits in moon part. thats when i realized the story wasnt for me. heavensward was my favorite but the rest were meh.

Nico_D

I finished Endwalker ~2 weeks ago. Liked it all, sometimes loved it. For me Stormbringers was the high point, Endwalker was let down by couple of boring quests chains. The ending was great tho.

Ninja is really fun to play at later levels but then again, most jobs start to get interesting around 70-80. If you like healing, I recommend trying Astrologian and/or Sage.

SCB3

Glad you are enjoying it. It's always a good fallback between other bigger releases or luls in content on Destiny 2.
Exactly why I'm playing it, I'm pretty much done with D2 until Lightfall I think and outside of Dead Space and Hogwarts Legacy I'm pretty much caught up on a lot of my backlog atm aside from this

Mr.ODST

I've not played Endwalker yet but was so hooked on shadowbringer I ended up completing all the content in 3 weeks and took 3 weeks off work I got that addicted, been a year since then so might be time to dip back in

SCB3

I always tell myself I’ll get back into this. I stopped at Heavensward. I saw a VR mod that might get me back in one day if I decide to not be lazy and get a top level pc someday. I just don’t have patience with all the shit that comes along with PC gaming.
Its on Playstation as well, thats where I tend to play it

swaffles23

My least favorite FFXIV expansion but it's still very good even though it drags a bit. I think being between Heavensward and Shadowbringers doesn't help it either.

Wish I could go back and experience FFXIV for the 1st time again. Shadowbringers is arguably has the best FF story in the entire franchise

Last edited:

SCB3

My least favorite FFXIV expansion but it's still very good even though it drags a bit. I think being between Heavensward and Shadowbringers doesn't help it either.

Wish I could go back and experience FFXIV for the 1st time again. Shadowbringers is arguably has the best FF story in the entire franchise
I've heard a lot about it being the best one, Maybe after 60 more hours of SB, lets see how far I get lol

SpokkX

What is the recommended way to start this game if you want to play through the story? Do you still have to play from the absolute beginning?

SCB3

What is the recommended way to start this game if you want to play through the story? Do you still have to play from the absolute beginning?
You can level skip and watch the Recap videos in game I believe and start at say Stormblood only

Raven117

Gold Member
Great job OP! I did the same about when Shadowbringers came out. (Had played ARR, didn't play Heavensward or Stormblood). Then, lowered a shoulder and ran through all three in about three months.

It really is quite the journey!
If you have the time, just go ahead and start at the beginning. ARR has been trimmed down. Each expansion will take you about a month to get through following the MSQ playing about an hour a day or so. It really is kind of awesome to do it this way (if you have the time and patience). You will enjoy the best FF story there is.

Kazdane

Oh! Have fun then! I started playing in 2021 and had a blast through all the story. I'm loving the game and the more relaxed environment compared to other MMOs I've played. Also, you've mentioned the Duty Support system (running dungeons with NPCs rather than other players) and, in case you don't know, while it's still not in place for Stormblood, the system is back in Shadowbringers and Endwalker, with full support for every dungeon related to the MSQ. So, with the exception of a few trials, you'll be able to progress through the rest of the MSQ (after Stormblood) as you see fit. Side content isn't really urgent, as you can leave it out for a later time (side quests will help you level up other jobs, for instance).

SCB3

while it's still not in place for Stormblood, the system is back in Shadowbringers and Endwalker, with full support for every dungeon related to the MSQ. So, with the exception of a few trials, you'll be able to progress through the rest of the MSQ (after Stormblood) as you see fit
oh nice! I would think Trials and Raids would be a bit too much for NPC's tbh,

Kazdane

oh nice! I would think Trials and Raids would be a bit too much for NPC's tbh,
Indeed, Raids and Trials are not available in Duty Support (with the exception of one trial you'll encounter in Endwalker, but that's all I can say without entering into heavy spoiler territory). The content, anyways, is tuned for casual play, and there's plenty of room for mistakes. So don't be afraid to give it a try as you level up, some of the stories in there are pretty cool. The only content that is harder are the Extreme, Savage and Ultimate difficultes, fights there are directed to more organized groups and do expect you to know how to play your job, maximize your DPS and resolve mechanics correctly (and even then, you can find Party Finder groups all the time running that content, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to try them as well).

SCB3

Indeed, Raids and Trials are not available in Duty Support (with the exception of one trial you'll encounter in Endwalker, but that's all I can say without entering into heavy spoiler territory). The content, anyways, is tuned for casual play, and there's plenty of room for mistakes. So don't be afraid to give it a try as you level up, some of the stories in there are pretty cool. The only content that is harder are the Extreme, Savage and Ultimate difficultes, fights there are directed to more organized groups and do expect you to know how to play your job, maximize your DPS and resolve mechanics correctly (and even then, you can find Party Finder groups all the time running that content, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to try them as well).
Oh yea I’ve done savage Ifrit and Bahumut in ARR before and the Palace of the Dead to level 100 back before Stormblood dropped (I’ve taken 2 long breaks) so I know they can be fun

I always look up and watch how to do some of the harder content anyway

Edmund

Gold Member
I stopped this game at Heavensward and I feel this great urge to play again because of the beautiful music! Will this game be fun for casual players like me?

I still remember playing FF14 at launch at having to run back to where I died and it took me 15-20 minutes each time. lol.

Last question, how does this play on the PS5? Does it work well with the dualsense?

SCB3

I stopped this game at Heavensward and I feel this great urge to play again because of the beautiful music! Will this game be fun for casual players like me?

I still remember playing FF14 at launch at having to run back to where I died and it took me 15-20 minutes each time. lol.

Last question, how does this play on the PS5? Does it work well with the dualsense?

I'm super casual and having a blast, very rarely die either

Dualsense works fine, it vibrates on every footstep and in weather and on spell casts, I like it

Celcius

°Temp. member
I keep thinking about doing the story again fresh just for fun. Not sure if I would go the new game plus route or create a new character.

Kazdane

I keep thinking about doing the story again fresh just for fun. Not sure if I would go the new game plus route or create a new character.
I'd say either is good. It really depends on how invested you are in your character. In my case, I'm almost done leveling all jobs to level 90 (only 2 missing) so I'd rather replay it through NG+. It also gives you the freedom to jump from one chapter to any other you feel like remembering. A new character on a different data center may be cool also just to check how things are on the other servers.

Yes but there is a strong possibility that the next expansion (mid 2024) will serve as a brand new starting point as well.

Kumomeme

stopped at the rabbits in moon part. thats when i realized the story wasnt for me. heavensward was my favorite but the rest were meh.
Endwalker story start slow. this mentioned by Yoshida even before it started. at beginning of story before that merely like a worldbuilding section and intended so player can take things slow.

but, the story start pick up back the gear after the moon part, which is where you stop playing. that is where the story actually officially kick off to 'begin'. starting from there, the pace is resumed back into emotion rollercoaster.

Last edited:

SCB3

Update:

looking at the quest list, I seem to be about half way through(just watched some cute Goth girl force a guy to shoot his parents, then have him killed, that was pretty fucking awesome!)

For this last hour I played on a 60" TV in 4K whilst my Wife borrowed my PC for the Sims and man is it harder to play, I bumped up the HUD to 150% and it was just about readable from a good 2.5 metres away or so

Top Bottom