• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Pandora's Tower (Wii/WiiU)

fart town usa

Gold Member
iu

Picked this up via the Wii U eShop last night. I've been trying to get all the hyped VC/eShop games before the eventual closing of the service.

It kinda sucks though, I was watching reviews and people were just raving over this game in YT videos and in comments, seeing it in action really reminded me of Castlevania/DMC, RE4, and Zelda and I was like, "fuck yea, it's like survival horror but w/ melee combat and a whip..."

BUT, I then went to gamefaqs to check their board and saw all kinds of things about a game breaking bug that is more of less guaranteed to occur in the NTSC copy. Just really weird, none of the NA reviews mentioned it and the YouTube comments were super positive but gamefaqs makes it sound like it's not IF the bug will happen, but WHEN.

I decided to get it anyways because the footage I saw had me incredibly intrigued. I'll probably explore it a bit to get the mechanics down but I need to finish some other games before dedicating myself to Pandora's Tower. The game looks gorgeous though on the Wii U gamepad and it's also compatible to be played directly with the gamepad, 99.9% of Wii games don't allow that, the gamepad is just a display. Pretty cool, though I still plan on using the Wiimote Nunchuk scheme. Now that the Wii is long behind us, the games that have good controls are much more enjoyable than they were during the Wii's reign. I think the gamepad helps too, it's just super responsive with the IR aspect.

So what say you gaf? Is the bug towards the end of the game a total deal breaker? Were you a part of Operation Rainforest (or whatever it was called) that helped get this game released outside Japan? Is this game a total gem or does it smell like rotten beast flesh?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Worse than the bug is the game being mediocre af from start to finish, like Rygar back in the PS2 days (it got a Wii port too, lol) vs actual DMC, Pop, GoW and other greats. It only ever got fans in some circles due to the "operation rainbow" or whatever fan bs they like to think had anything to do with the localization of actual good games like Xenoblade and The Last Story. I love the Wii, it has many of that generation's very best games and was THE system to have as a companion to PC with a ton of hidden gems, but I'm afraid this ain't one. Sucks the truth triggers you wyvern_bloodfist.

Last edited:
Worse than the bug is the game being mediocre af from start to finish, like Rygar back in the PS2 days (it got a Wii port too, lol) vs actual DMC, Pop, GoW and other greats. It only ever got fans in some circles due to the "operation rainbow" or whatever fan bs they like to think had anything to do with the localization of actual good games like Xenoblade and The Last Story. I love the Wii, it has many of that generation's very best games and was THE system to have as a companion to PC with a ton of hidden gems, but I'm afraid this ain't one. Sucks the truth triggers you wyvern_bloodfist.
I'm Gaf's Residential Pandora's Tower Fan; any negatives stated about the game will anger me... trigger me 🤔... I don't do that weak sauce bullshite, lol. its cool.

fart town usa

Gold Member
My favorite game of all-times 😍

Always looking for weird gems I may have missed on Wii U. Will check it out OP.

Just played through the first tower.

My Lord! The fixed camera angles (though sometimes dynamic), the inventory management, the RE4 style attaché case equip system, the text files scattered about, shiny objects hidden in the environment. It feels like a Capcom game in a lot of ways. This game is fucking awesome so far. Great story, love using the Wiimote to grab stuff with the whip, all while dodging and hitting enemies with the sword. There's a lot of multitasking going on but it feels great, clever environmental puzzles. Combat system is relatively basic so far but deep enough to keep you engaged, and it feels really fresh but familiar.

I'm really glad I picked this up. I have other games I wanted to finish first but man, I really want to just keep at it. I'm really digging this game so far and only see it getting better. There's like 6 endings too so that's pretty great for replay value.

Maestr0

Never heard of the bug.

But the game was amazing, with Xenoblade and the last story, the wii swan song's trinity.
And the music, the dies irae from verdi, liebestraum from lizst and smetana bohemia woods and field, were adapted and well implemented within the feel of the game
The wiimote works perfectly and fits really well with the gameplay.
The time limit is a great pressure to save your beloved in this game.

Play it if you can

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Never heard of the bug.

But the game was amazing, with Xenoblade and the last story, the wii swan song's trinity.
And the music, the dies irae from verdi, liebestraum from lizst and smetana bohemia woods and field, were adapted and well implemented within the feel of the game

Play it if you can
It's something when you get to tower 10/11 or 11/12. Basically, if you don't finish it in one go, when you go to enter it a second time the game just hard locks. It doesn't destroy your save or anything, but I guess there's no 100% workaround. Just a lot of techniques that people have gotten to work. Internet says it might have something to do with the game not properly loading in the area you're trying to access. It's only in the NA release and is really shame that Nintendo put that version on the eShop. I guess the PAL version is completely fine.

E-Cat

Never heard of the bug.

Play it if you can
There was also a part from Tchaikovsky’s Symphony no. 6 last movement in the intro, iirc.

_Ex_

It's been sitting on my Wii shelf since its release year, one of hundreds of games I keep meaning to play "someday". I still think its concept and plot are fairly unique and interesting. You definitely have to be aware of the glitch, though. Read up on that and prepare accordingly.

Deerock71

Pandora's Tower was definitely the least among the Rainfall trio. I bought all three and Pandora was the one I never finished; not because of the glitch, but because I was incredibly bored. Xenoblade (obviously) was the stand out game, while The Last Story was never given it's fair due and I would've gladly purchased a sequel.
Yeah, it was definitely an acquired taste, which is funnier when you consider the meat of the gameplay, annnnnd...DONE!

Top Bottom