• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart 2021 (PS5 Digital Edition)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The ratchet series provided further evidence that insomnic games (Spider-Man PS4) are amazing developers.

Jumping Ratchet And Clank GIF by PlayStation

The building blocks of any ratchet game are the weapons. They have a weapon that freezes enemies, there’s so many weapons that analyzing every one would take multiple hours and multiple threads.

I discovered this game by means of ps summer sale, just couldn’t spend $70. Nope.

The gameplay is fun, the encounters with clank during the side missions are fun.

images

I remember these puzzles being hard in a good way.

To me with its dependable controls, multiple main characters and going through dimensions in less than a second this is a must play game.

Zok310

Banned
My bad. It feels like 3. Still thought we would have had more ps5, Xsx exclusive games by now. Fuckin Covid…
on topic though I really liked Ratchet.
Hmm, sometimes people count the start as 1 year, but in reality you cant say 3 years until its been 36 months so on and so forth for years 456789…..
But its no big deal

drezz

Hoped for some DLC's but I understand they are very busy with what they are cooking up.

But I also wouldnt mind it if they had a small Mr.Zurkon VR game too throw our way come PSVR2.
Just some gallary shooting stuff, trying out R&C weapons in VR and "Having a Blast" hoihoihoi!

aclar00

Hmm, sometimes people count the start as 1 year, but in reality you cant say 3 years until its been 36 months so on and so forth for years 456789…..
But its no big deal

We are indeed coming "into" the third year. Two years will be complete come October, but it wont be 3 years old...

BlackTron

I really like R&C but not quite enough to get a PS5 yet. Maybe if there were more next-gen grade games like it.

I'll probably end up playing it when it's worth $20 like I did the PS4 version, but I'm looking forward to that day.

Hoddi

Fantastic game. It took me a few days to finish and get all the collectibles but then I went right back to it the day after and plowed right through it again.

Absolute high point for the system.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It is SO MUCH BETTER than terrible, awful, scam of a movie-tie in game and a terrible remake of first game that is 2016 Ratchet.
Does 40fps mode have any lower graphics/res than 30fps mode ?
I finished it on release at 30fps and it was fine but replay might be nice

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I have many issues with this one as a big Ratchet fan but particularly I found the Clank bits to be brainlessly easy, boring and borderline shit. The quality of the Crack in Time Clank puzzles shit on them from a colossal height imo. Sure there was a bit of frustration with the final ones when it became really complex but I think those are some of the best designed puzzles in any game really.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have many issues with this one as a big Ratchet fan but particularly I found the Clank bits to be brainlessly easy, boring and borderline shit. The quality of the Crack in Time Clank puzzles shit on them from a colossal height imo. Sure there was a bit of frustration with the final ones when it became really complex but I think those are some of the best designed puzzles in any game really.
oh yeah the clank bits are boring as fuck.
So are the woke spider bits

Last edited:

Kuranghi

oh yeah the clank bits are boring as fuck.
So are the woke spider bits

I was perplexed at how shit the Clank bits were tbh, there wasn't really a choice to make, you just did what you could and that was the solution, it was baby-level puzzle stuff.

The spider bits yeah... it wasn't as terrible as some other media has been but it did smack quite a bit of "you meanies, I'm not confident because society has pushed me down, but now I'm carving the righteous path and destroying the "evil"", even if the viruses were objectively destructive and evil in this case its still how progressives view anyone who's isn't subscribed to the "vision of the annointed" that they are.

At best its just "woe is me, life is hard" moaning crap, which is teenager stuff, life is hard deal with and get on with it I say, people who moan like that usually have it super good in the grand scheme of things too. I've wasted 10+ years of my life being "depressed" and as a by-product unwell due to internalised regret but I'd still be a massive prick if I said I had it remotely hard. My life has been basically a cakewalk compared 99% of the people on the earth.

Well that was introspective, whoops lol.

RCU005

Blows my mind we coming to year 3 of ps5, and this game is still the best next gen only game. IMHO. Graphics, haptic, ssd showcase.

The best use of the Dualsense is Control by far (other than Astro Playroom)

The best use of PS5 features (activity cards, hints, trophy tracking) is A Plague Tale

But yes, Ratchet and Clank is the best showcase for the SSD

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was perplexed at how shit the Clank bits were tbh, there wasn't really a choice to make, you just did what you could and that was the solution, it was baby-level puzzle stuff.

The spider bits yeah... it wasn't as terrible as some other media has been but it did smack quite a bit of "you meanies, I'm not confident because society has pushed me down, but now I'm carving the righteous path and destroying the "evil"", even if the viruses were objectively destructive and evil in this case its still how progressives view anyone who's isn't subscribed to the "vision of the annointed" that they are.

At best its just "woe is me, life is hard" moaning crap, which is teenager stuff, life is hard deal with and get on with it I say, people who moan like that usually have it super good in the grand scheme of things too. I've wasted 10+ years of my life being "depressed" and as a by-product unwell due to internalised regret but I'd still be a massive prick if I said I had it remotely hard. My life has been basically a cakewalk compared 99% of the people on the earth.

Well that was introspective, whoops lol.
The moaning woke robot really started with 2016 reboot... as already in that game, they disneyfied our Ratchet and turned him into a whimp... and took all the "asshole" out of clank.
Compare it to original and it's night and day.
Great vid

That said - Rift Apart really is much better aside from robot and clank parts... and robot parts at least play fun (but not repat this 10x fun).

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
My bad. It feels like 3. Still thought we would have had more ps5, Xsx exclusive games by now. Fuckin Covid…
on topic though I really liked Ratchet.
I thought that, but i looked up last gen and there weren't to many exclusives which really showed off the hardware, there was Bloodborne and fallout 4 but visually they were more ps3.5 visuals.

As for rift apart, I've only played a few hours but its a very engaging and visceral experience, achieved with the daulsense, good gameplay and the many particle effects and geometry going on on-screen.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

The best use of PS5 features (activity cards, hints, trophy tracking) is A Plague Tale

Control ps5 got cool dualsense support?
Interesting. Maybe a reason to replay

Fredrik

The trigger rattle haptics for the Glitch levels in Rift Apart is absolutely amazing, perfectly synced with the audio, better than in any other game imo. Sadly it’s not nearly as good in the rest of the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
A very good looking game, but it was kinda bland. I liked the 2016 release way more.
2016 was terrible and ruined ratchet.
Boring, bland game that destroyed all edge Ratchet and Clank had.
Look the video above.
It's barely an ok kids game ... and it's so lazy they use the bad movie scenes as cutscenes.

You can like anything you want to like but anyone who says 2016 was better than Rift Apart is out of his mind. wtf

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, Rift Apart was a really fun game. Like the open world bit a lot. I hope they expand on that in the future.

Spyxos

2016 was terrible and ruined ratchet.
Boring, bland game that destroyed all edge Ratchet and Clank had.
Look the video above.
It's barely an ok kids game ... and it's so lazy they use the bad movie scenes as cutscenes.

You can like anything you want to like but anyone who says 2016 was better than Rift Apart is out of his mind. wtf
I have only played those two Ratchet games and i still like 2016 way more. Rift Apart has only very nice graphics otherwise the game does nothing special. Also, I did play it on day 1 and it was the most buggy Sony first party title that i ever played.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have only played those two Ratchet games and i still like 2016 way more. Rift Apart has only very nice graphics otherwise the game does nothing special. Also, I did play it on day 1 and it was the most buggy Sony first party title that i ever played.
really? I played it day1 and didn't had any bugs. I was lucky probably.

AndrewRyan

The problem with Rift Apart is the gameplay soils the older titles. Don't replay the PS2 games if you want your fond memories to remain intact.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yeah Ratchet on PS5 is dope, and as someone mentioned earlier, still the beefiest next-gen showcase available. Insomniac are a great studio on multiple levels - I feel like Sony got them at a bargain price for their level of talent.

Esca

Great game. Not the best r&c game though.
I think I'm going to replay it since I remember almost nothing about it but I know I liked it a lot still. The joys of memory problems, sigh

Certinty

Loved the game. Surprised they managed to pull off the more open sections as well as they did too. Great humour and characters like always. Visually stunning too of course.

fart town usa

Gold Member
On sale for $30 (digital) bump.

Put in roughly 2 hours, I'll have to chip away at this one because I'll be playing it on the new TV which is more or less my wife's :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

1st thoughts, the game is gorgeous, pretty stunning in that regard and it's the only 30fps mode game on PS5 that I've played that actually feels smooth and good. All other games feel awful at 30fps on PS5.

Other thoughts: Not sure if I'm feeling the open world type thing so far, maybe it'll switch up but right now I'm not really loving how things are set up. Also, some of the voice acting is downright awful. Ms. Zurkon, where's Mr. Zurkon? I normally wouldn't care but Ms. Zurkon is just annoying as hell so far and the Glitch spider robot thing, her voice is truly miserable. I hope it changes cause I literally had to turn the game off when she started spazzing out during combat, like nails on a chalkboard.

It's fun so far but my initial impressions with this, coupled with the remake on PS4, I'm saddened to think that the best days of Ratchet might be long behind us. The PS2 and PS3 games were so insanely good. Even the smaller games like Quest for Booty, Full Frontal Assault, and Into the Nexus, so much fun. A Crack in Time is still my personal favorite and I can't help but hold that as the benchmark for what I want in a modern R&C game. Flying in your spaceship, the pirate radio station, exploring small Mario Galaxy type planets. It's just gaming bliss.

For big fans of the series, am I just getting ahead of myself and being too harsh since I'm so early into the game? Or does the game just make you wish you were playing one of the older games?

Last edited:
The presentation and feel is pretty damn good. If you played it you'd see what I mean. It's like a glorified Tech Demo but it does it really well.

Too bad about the cringe. Probally wouldn't go over well if they ported to PC.
I know. In fact it was one of my favourite games of 2021. I don't really see anything it can do technically that an 8th gen game can't if the graphics were scaled down though. And the graphics itself look barely better than the 2016 reboot most of the time.

Last edited:

Unknown?

On sale for $30 (digital) bump.

Put in roughly 2 hours, I'll have to chip away at this one because I'll be playing it on the new TV which is more or less my wife's :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

1st thoughts, the game is gorgeous, pretty stunning in that regard and it's the only 30fps mode game on PS5 that I've played that actually feels smooth and good. All other games feel awful at 30fps on PS5.

Other thoughts: Not sure if I'm feeling the open world type thing so far, maybe it'll switch up but right now I'm not really loving how things are set up. Also, some of the voice acting is downright awful. Ms. Zurkon, where's Mr. Zurkon? I normally wouldn't care but Ms. Zurkon is just annoying as hell so far and the Glitch spider robot thing, her voice is truly miserable. I hope it changes cause I literally had to turn the game off when she started spazzing out during combat, like nails on a chalkboard.

It's fun so far but my initial impressions with this, coupled with the remake on PS4, I'm saddened to think that the best days of Ratchet might be long behind us. The PS2 and PS3 games were so insanely good. Even the smaller games like Quest for Booty, Full Frontal Assault, and Into the Nexus, so much fun. A Crack in Time is still my personal favorite and I can't help but hold that as the benchmark for what I want in a modern R&C game. Flying in your spaceship, the pirate radio station, exploring small Mario Galaxy type planets. It's just gaming bliss.

For big fans of the series, am I just getting ahead of myself and being too harsh since I'm so early into the game? Or does the game just make you wish you were playing one of the older games?
I started out Ratchet on ToD and I think this one is fine, not any worse than those PS3 games. Story was never the series strong spot anyway but it's serviceable like those ones were.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I started out Ratchet on ToD and I think this one is fine, not any worse than those PS3 games. Story was never the series strong spot anyway but it's serviceable like those ones were.
That's where I started too but then went back and played the original PS2 ones, and then the remastered collection on PS3. Even did a full series playthrough during the initial wave of covid, lol.

I actually really enjoyed the story for the 'Future' games on PS3 but yea, I hear you, it's just Saturday morning cartoon type stuff. Dr. Nefarious is great though and so far he seems to be as well written as he's been in past games.

Top Bottom