• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 0

KillaJamm

The item management ruined it for me, honestly having to back track to where the game forced you to drop a particular item was a slog. I get the whole point is to manage it between both characters but the amount of items they gave you was ridiculous, would of benefited massively with an item box.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Bit of a bump, but 0 is a great game that gets a hard time because of a few standout flaws. It's nice to see it get some love in this thread.
The item management ruined it for me, honestly having to back track to where the game forced you to drop a particular item was a slog. I get the whole point is to manage it between both characters but the amount of items they gave you was ridiculous, would of benefited massively with an item box.
This, for the most part, is the long and short of why people treat the game harshly. I would happily recommend the game to anyone with the advice of "Use the main hall as a dumping ground, and leave the hookshot there". That's it. Yes, you still have to backtrack, but it's actually a testament to the design that despite all you've done up to that point it's only 6 rooms away if you left it in the main hall (+2 if you didn't) and it should only take you a few minutes to get from where you need it to where you left it. Compare that to RE1, and you can easily be that same number of rooms away from an item box should you need to get to one. All in all, this game probably fucks with you less than Code Veronica does, yet that game doesn't get half the flak that 0 does.

The monkeys are little bastards though, there's no denying that. They're one of the most annoying enemies in the franchise, let alone in the game. Also, the Giant Bat is either a walk in the park or an absolute nightmare, and I've had it be both.

Roni

Gold Member
you know, back in 1996 that was the sort of shit that would sell the game. I hate that most people don't find that interesting because it's the #1 thing holding back game design from actually getting interesting again.

For a moment there, during the 2000's, it felt like we were really gonna overcome the pulling the gun out of your ass trope, but somewhere along the way we got lost and never did.

KillaJamm

you know, back in 1996 that was the sort of shit that would sell the game. I hate that most people don't find that interesting because it's the #1 thing holding back game design from actually getting interesting again.

For a moment there, during the 2000's, it felt like we were really gonna overcome the pulling the gun out of your ass trope, but somewhere along the way we got lost and never did.
But it's a game, if the mechanic makes it a slog how is that progress? It really holds it back but that's my opinion. It's not like its pulling things 'out your arse' either, just an item box so you don't have all the essential items to progress the story laying all over the bloody map.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
But it's a game, if the mechanic makes it a slog how is that progress? It really holds it back but that's my opinion. It's not like its pulling things 'out your arse' either, just an item box so you don't have all the essential items to progress the story laying all over the bloody map.
Well, slog meaning slower paced? I don't think that's a problem, specially for a Survival Horror game. Those are detective games, it's all about the slow pace, thinking before acting, planning out your ventures into the monster infested zones.

I miss slower paced games, actually.

KillaJamm

Well, slog meaning slower paced? I don't think that's a problem, specially for a Survival Horror game. Those are detective games, it's all about the slow pace, thinking before acting, planning out your ventures into the monster infested zones.

I meant it was a slog as in it wasn't fun, it made the game feel like a chore to play. I think there's a reason why literally every Resident Evil game has an item box, because without one it just doesn't work in terms of item management. Even with an item box you still have to think about how many herbs you take with you, how much ammo to allocate, what story progression items you should carry for the next section so it's not as if it makes it too easy, it's perfect for this type of game imo.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Other classic RE games were just like that with their item boxes. I mean, even Silent Hill was like that, and it had unlimited inventory space.

Zero’s item management is trash. It’s just anti-gameplay. They didn’t repeat it because they knew. They were just out of ideas for something “new”, and they came out with this system that on paper isn’t at all different from the unlimited item box, but in practice is worse. I remember all the previews being like “OMG they dropped the magic item boxes, this will change everything!!” Then the game came out and everyone had to admit having multiple rooms to drop stuff in only made things worse.

This is an excellent example of why dissing “gamey” features to go for more “realism” isn’t necessarily a good thing.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Other classic RE games were just like that with their item boxes. I mean, even Silent Hill was like that, and it had unlimited inventory space.

Zero’s item management is trash. It’s just anti-gameplay. They didn’t repeat it because they knew. They were just out of ideas for something “new”, and they came out with this system that on paper isn’t at all different from the unlimited item box, but in practice is worse. I remember all the previews being like “OMG they dropped the magic item boxes, this will change everything!!” Then the game came out and everyone had to admit having multiple rooms to drop stuff in only made things worse.

This is an excellent example of why dissing “gamey” features to go for more “realism” isn’t necessarily a good thing.
I think that previews thinking it was a change to make life easier was never the intention, from day one I always saw it as an additional challenge. It's not "Oh cool, you can drop items anywhere now", it's "Oh god, no more magic box, dropped items I need could be anywhere". REmake's unlockable mode where boxes aren't magic likely either influenced or was influenced by that. (I don't know if they were developed at the same time or if dropping items was planned back in the N64 prototype.)

I've said it in the past, but 0 and CVX are games that get better when you learn to play around the shortcomings. So as much as I think 0's reputation is unwarranted, the fact that it has things you need to learn from someone else's experience so you can streamline and play around the imperfections is telling.

Me too man, me too. They also make for great speedruns, because there's so much room for optimisation.

Yes! And when will we FINALLY have a game where the character gets hungry, tired, thirsty, has visible injuries (that takes days/weeks to heal), gets depressed, anxious, has to poop and pee, has to shower (otherwise NPC’s will avoid them because they’re smelly and unkempt), moisturize their skin after showering (otherwise it’ll get dry and ugly and NPC’s will be less respectful, could miss out on quest lines), etc.

Zero’s “item management” was insanely unfun trash.

As was the “loading screens,” the snails-pace “running” that Billy and Rebecca do, and the horrid gunplay.

Roni

Gold Member
Yes! And when will we FINALLY have a game where the character gets hungry, tired, thirsty, has visible injuries (that takes days/weeks to heal), gets depressed, anxious, has to poop and pee, has to shower (otherwise NPC’s will avoid them because they’re smelly and unkempt), moisturize their skin after showering (otherwise it’ll get dry and ugly and NPC’s will be less respectful, could miss out on quest lines), etc.
Never go into Fallout New Vegas' nexus page, you might have a stroke.

GymWolf

It was pretty good but i didn't cared about the characters or the villain, the train location was interesting tho.

it was a decent appetizer before RE4.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've grown to really appreciate the gameplay, but I hate the story.

It definitely takes a few trial runs to get a feel for how the game is truly designed. It's effing brutal. I was playing the Wii release on Wii U last year and it seems like there were a severe lack of herbs. It's a tough game and if you aren't a master of classic style RE, it'll probably be an absolute nightmare for you.

Roni

Gold Member
Me too man, me too. They also make for great speedruns, because there's so much room for optimisation.
yeah, there's definitely something to be said about demanding something from the players. it works for souls games because the combat is twitchy enough to satisfy the ADHD crowd. sadly the cerebral games went to the gutter...

Last edited:
yeah, there's definitely something to be said about demanding something from the players. it works for souls games because the combat is twitchy enough to satisfy the ADHD crowd. sadly the cerebral games went the gutter...
Keep it up with the condescending attitude. It definitely reinforces to everyone that you’re very intelligent. It’s not your fault everyone else is just dumb and has ADHD! My king.

I HATE the super limited inventory space so much
Why? You need to have a certain level of patience and intelligence to put up with it. If, during one of the forced segments where you have to control Billy or Rebecca, your inventory isn’t up-to-stuff: tough luck. Same with the times when the game requires you to use the hookshot. Should have anticipated these moments. /s

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Keep it up with the condescending attitude. It definitely reinforces to everyone that you’re very intelligent. It’s not your fault everyone else is just dumb and has ADHD! My king.
I already understood your point. What you don't like is either dumb, shit or bad. Whenever you have something more original to say, I'll address you. Until then, keep it in your pants...

Last edited:
Bumping this because I've been replaying a bunch of RE games in preparation for RE4 Remake (completed 2R, 3R, 4, 5, 7, & 8VR) so I'm FINALLY playing this game for the first time. It's the only mainline RE game I haven't played because I didn't have a Gamecube when it launched and it received mediocre reviews/word-of-mouth so I never picked up a port... until now.

Well, I was right to avoid it for so long. I just got stunlocked to death by some monkeys and I feel confident in saying this is quite possibly the worst mainline RE game (yes, possibly even worse than 6). I didn't think the story in a Resi game could get any worse than Code Veronica (the moment the series story jumped the shark IMO), but here we are. But unlike CV, I'm just not enjoying the gameplay of RE0 so far.

The beginning made me feel somewhat nostalgic, but that feeling quickly went away when I realized I couldn't avoid most zombies in these narrow train cars. It's slightly better in the other environments but it still feels like I'm meant to waste ammo in most situations, as opposed to having the opportunity to avoid enemies like in RE1.

But it's not all bad: I do think the partner system is kinda interesting, and the ability to leave items anywhere is actually great. I just finished up a no-item-box run in RE2R so that aspect in particular is very welcome. But when it comes down to it, I'd rather just have a item box OR a way to increase my inventory limit. This game has neither, so it's making for a monotonous experience.

But yeah, I am not going to give up - I will finish it up so I can finally say "I've completed every mainline Resi game", but I am not enjoying myself at all. Hope Capcom remakes this into something MUCH better in the near future.

/endrant

Edit:

I finished it.

Final thoughts: it is a terrible game and feels like a shitty imitation of classic Resident Evil, because every aspect of RE in this game is just wrong. The story, the enemy placement, the enemies themselves, the puzzles, the map design... everything.

I'm honestly thinking this game doesn't even deserve a remake. Just ignore it and pretend it never happened.

Last edited:

Moses85

seth meyers lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Gimme that remake

Ulysses 31

I remember never finishing it while I finished Remake several times on GamCube. Might give it another shot now that my Wii is homebrewed and it's backed up.

I just tried it for probably the third time overall since it came out only because I beat RE1 Remake once again and couldn't let go of the amazing aesthetics. I just flat-out don't like the two character system and everything that comes with it. It's one of those games where I just lose any interest to the point I don't even know if I think it's bad or anything, I just don't care and go play something else. I also hate that giant Scorpion in the train.

It's like hey, do you want to play RE1 Remake but worse in every conceivable way?

F31 Leopard

RE0 is one of my favorites in the series. I know consensus didn't like the non interconnected item boxes but I loved the dynamic. It's no different than Real Survival mode (my favorite mode) in REmake. It made the game more challenging and you had to plan out accordingly. I consider RE0 one of the most difficult REs along with Code Veronica. It's my top RE when it comes to feeling accomplished after completing considering how difficult it was especially the puzzles. Capcom should have added an easy mode where they implemented the interconnected item boxes.

This was shockingly one of my favourites in the series. Love the atmosphere, especially the train opening which I found to be very immersive overall. I remember buying the Origins Collection on sale purely just for RE1. But after some time, I ended up checking this out and really enjoyed it.

It's actually one of the only games I've 100% too, I don't fully platinum most RE games but I loved the bonus content, especially the Wesker mode.

BbMajor7th

It's one of the more interesting entries in the series and I like it a lot. Stellar visuals and atmosphere, cool puzzles and some outstanding level design. Some of the bosses do suck, the inventory system is fine, but it can be an absolute ballache to pick up dropped items, especially if you dump a bunch in the same room, and those Stretch Arm-Strong motherfuckers can die in a fire. Still a solid entry into the franchise though and definitely overlooked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom