• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Resident Evil franchise

DelireMan7

resident-evil.gif

Resident Evil is one of these franchises that always interested me but I never got really into it.
I got to know the franchise when I was a teen and a friend of mine was literally obsessed with it (and he was also the biggest Sony and MGS fanboy I ever seen). He was constantly speaking about RE1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica.
At one point, it was like I played most of these games myself because I heard so much about it.

To be honest, I am not completely new to it. Thanks to this crazy friend I have got to played Resident Evil on PS1 and Code Veronica on PS2. I can't remember which one I played first but I know I enjoyed both, especially the original one.

Then I was drooling over Resident Remake and 0 on gamecube and then 4 but I didn't have a GameCube. Then the franchise was kind of lost for me since from 5, it looks like it went down (from an outsider perspective).

The release of Resident Evil 7 triggered again my interest but I was not a fan of the FPS view (and honestly terrified by the demo that I quickly stopped) so I didn't proceed further.

Now with all the remakes that looks really good and my search for short games with guns (long time I have play a game with guns) but not full action, it looks like Resident Evil games are the perfect fit.

My plan is to play at least (EDIT : updated list)

1. Resident Evil Remake (Done with Jill and Chris)
  2. Resident Evil 2 (Leon A done, Claire B done !)
  3. Resident Evil 3 : Nemesis (Done !)
  4. Resident Evil 0 (Done !)
  5. REmake 2 (Leon Done ! Claire Done !)
  6. REmake 3 (Done !)
  7. (Code Veronica)
  8. Resident Evil 4 (Ongoing !)
  9. Resident Evil 6 (Coop done on Leon's, Jake's and Ada's campaign. Chris' ongoing)
I might see for the one that came after. I was thinking to play the OG first but I decided to go for the remakes. I might play them later.

1. Resident Evil Remake
So I am already quite advanced in this one (just did the Aqua Ring). I went with the HD remaster which was offered once on PSplus.

I love it ! It asked a bit of adaptation because it's really old school and slow playstyle but it's really what I wanted. Inventory, save and ammo management, methodical approach, studying the map to find the best routes... Puzzles are interesting and clever enough for me.

I really like how you have to choose your fights due to the ammo limitation. Also decide to burn a corpse or not. And not better feeling to blow up a zombie's head with a shotgun.
I went for original tank controls because it makes more sense with the fixed camera and honestly I like them and find them charming.

I love the visuals and the cameras really add to it. It create a great atmosphere. Speaking of which, the notes you find on the way are really good. Reading how a guy was infected and slowly turn into a zombie is so horrifying but also goofy.

I have arachnophobia but spiders in games never bothered me. But here, damn ! These giant tarantulas really look real and they got me by surprise. I drop my controller and had to leave the room for a bit. But even past the surprise, I was still extremely uncomfortable and disgusted to see them. Even when dead.

Now I got the helmet key and will head back to the manor. Can't wait to continue my journey.

For the purist : I plan to replay it with Chris when I am done before moving to 0. Is it worth it, lore/story wise ? One of the reason I play this franchise is for the story/lore (even if it looks like a mess according to some people I asked) so I want to get the most out of it. And I guess my second run will be much quicker.

tumblr_ot8sjtyDOD1wpyxh6o1_540.gifv

I'll post my progress and thoughts here.

Feel free to share you love for the franchise (without spoiling) and discuss it.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I'd suggest not playing the RE3 remake. Unlike the remakes of 1 and 2 it completely misses the point of the original and omits almost everything that made it interesting.
I heard this already. I might think about it.

I remember (thanks to my crazy friend) the choice you were offered in RE3 and it sounds like an interesting idea. But it was removed from the remake.

So you say Remake 2 is a fine alternative to the Original RE 2 ?

Rykan

I'd suggest not playing the RE3 remake. Unlike the remakes of 1 and 2 it completely misses the point of the original and omits almost everything that made it interesting.
And I suggest the opposite. Resident Evil 3 is a much more action focused take on Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 remake follows accordingly. It's absolutely worth playing, especially if you can pick it up for a nice price.

DelireMan7

And I suggest the opposite. Resident Evil 3 is a much more action focused take on Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 remake follows accordingly. It's absolutely worth playing, especially if you can pick it up for a nice price.
Haha seems it's a conflicting topic.

I want modern games now (spend the last 2 years playing mainly old games) so I might play the remakes first and then go back to the OG for comparison. I'll see how I like Remake 2 gameplay. Because I really like the old-school gameplay of Remake 1.

kunonabi

I remember (thanks to my crazy friend) the choice you were offered in RE3 and it sounds like an interesting idea. But it was removed from the remake.

Yes and no. The Claire campaign is a million times better but the Leon campaign is a huge downgrade. I personally prefer the new more realistic art direction but the lack of music sucks if you don't have the classic bgm. The B scenarios/zapping system are essentially MIA but they were somewhat half-baked to begin with anyway.

In the end its a different take that improves on the original in some ways but lacks some of the more memorable moments. It totally works as a modernized take on the material though so you can get by with it.

Rykan

Haha seems it's a conflicting topic.

I want modern games now (spend the last 2 years playing mainly old games) so I might play the remakes first and then go back to the OG for comparison. I'll see how I like Remake 2 gameplay. Because I really like the old-school gameplay of Remake 1.
I believe there is a Demo available for both Remakes game so feel free to give it a try first.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Take 0 out of the list. It's worse than at least four other RE games that aren't in this list.

If you like the RE1 remake you should really play the original RE2 and RE3. They're the same style of games, the remakes (especially 2) are excellent but very different. Play those afterwards. Original 4 should absolutely be in there too but is different from everything else mentioned.

Code Veronica should be played if you're still hungry for more of that same fixed camera style, it's better than 0 but still a quite flawed game while having some awesome stuff in there at the same time.

DelireMan7

Thanks for all the input so far.

Despite all the advice for skipping 0, I really want to try it by myself. So I will not skip it.

All the discussion about original 2/3 VS Remakes makes me reconsider a bit my decision to go for the remakes first. I'll see my mood after Zero but I might first play the OG 2 and 3 before the remakes.

I already played Code Veronica in the past but I might replay if I want more old school style.

So my playing list will probably be :

1. Resident Evil Remake
  2. Resident Evil 0
  3. Resident Evil 2
  4. Resident Evil 3 : Nemesis
  5. REmake 2
  6. REmake 3
  7. (Code Veronica)
  8. Resident Evil 4
I am also open for 5-8 and some spin off but let's see if I am not burnout by then.

Nautilus

Banned

Nah, it is worth playing RE 3 Remake. Its just that, unlike the other remakes, it doesn't nullify the original's existance. And in that sense, it is worth playing through vanilla RE 3 too.

DelireMan7

Don't, for gods sake. Re 0 is good, but nothing mindblowing. And Code Veronica is the true RE 3. Its a great game, and its plot is essential for the franchise.
Don't worry I will play 0. ;)

I had no answer from my question : Is it worth to do a second run with Chris (I am playing Jill now) in the REmake (Story wise) ? I guess the second run is much faster to do so it should not take too long.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Despite all the advice for skipping 0, I really want to try it by myself. So I will not skip it.

All the discussion about original 2/3 VS Remakes makes me reconsider a bit my decision to go for the remakes first. I'll see my mood after Zero but I might first play the OG 2 and 3 before the remakes.

I already played Code Veronica in the past but I might replay if I want more old school style.

1. Resident Evil Remake
  2. Resident Evil 0
  3. Resident Evil 2
  5. REmake 2
  6. REmake 3
  7. (Code Veronica)
  8. Resident Evil 4
I am also open for 5-8 and some spin off but let's see if I am not burnout by then.
I rather suggest you to play it in release order. Follow the story as it originally unfolded. Start with the Original itself. The port is on PS5N and it's decent.

Nautilus

Banned
Don't worry I will play 0. ;)

I had no answer from my question : Is it worth to do a second run with Chris (I am playing Jill now) in the REmake (Story wise) ? I guess the second run is much faster to do so it should not take too long.
No. Outside of a cutscene here and there, the story, enemies and puzzles are all identical, if I remember correctly.

FeastYoEyes

One of my favorite franchises ever. So many awesome cheesy, iconic moments across all entries. I would say play all mainline entries in order (and I hear really good things about Code Veronica). I do agree with BPX though that 0 is worth skipping.

Enjoy the ride!

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I love the classic saga and the RE-Engine era.

Resident evil 2 classic is among the best I've tried, I have Dead aim pending that always caught my attention.

Revelations 2 felt like playing low-budget mobile video games.

For me the worst Resident Evil is Code Veronica.

DelireMan7

You should also play the OG RE 1996, especially considering you're okay with tank controls and fixed camera. It really has it's own soul compared to the REmake. The OG 2 and 3 are definitely worth playing. Your thoughts in the OP remind me of how I felt playing REmake for the first time :] I do recommend Zero as well
I actually completed the OG RE around 2000. I don't remember the details but I know I was really impressed by it and like it a lot.

I added OG 2 and 3 to my list ;)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The best fucking franchise in the world that's actually alive and well

ENJOY.

Edit: oh and don't play RE3Make, it's abysmal. Play the original on PS1 instead.

Last edited:

tommib

Don’t listen to this person. The remake is short and sweet and looks delicious. I enjoyed it more than RE2 Remake. I do love short games that pack a punch.

Last edited:

dan76

Seriously, if you are going to play 0 play it after Code Veronica to see why the series needed RE4. It's the weakest of the fixed camera RE's. It's late now but release order is the way to go.

After 4 jump straight into Remake 2 and 3. I really enjoyed 3, liked the mechanics, it's biggest problem was it's too short.

fart town usa

Gold Member
resident-evil.gif

Resident Evil is one of these franchises that always interested me but I never got really into it.
I got to know the franchise when I was a teen and a friend of mine was literally obsessed with it (and he was also the biggest Sony and MGS fanboy I ever seen). He was constantly speaking about RE1, 2, 3 and Code Veronica.
At one point, it was like I played most of these games myself because I heard so much about it.

To be honest, I am not completely new to it. Thanks to this crazy friend I have got to played Resident Evil on PS1 and Code Veronica on PS2. I can't remember which one I played first but I know I enjoyed both, especially the original one.

Then I was drooling over Resident Remake and 0 on gamecube and then 4 but I didn't have a GameCube. Then the franchise was kind of lost for me since from 5, it looks like it went down (from an outsider perspective).

The release of Resident Evil 7 triggered again my interest but I was not a fan of the FPS view (and honestly terrified by the demo that I quickly stopped) so I didn't proceed further.

Now with all the remakes that looks really good and my search for short games with guns (long time I have play a game with guns) but not full action, it looks like Resident Evil games are the perfect fit.

My plan is to play at least

1. Resident Evil Remake
  2. Resident Evil 0
  3. Resident Evil 2 Remake
  4. Resident Evil 3 Remake
  5. Resident Evil 4 (Remake or not)
I might see for the one that came after. I was thinking to play the OG first but I decided to go for the remakes. I might play them later.

1. Resident Evil Remake
So I am already quite advanced in this one (just did the Aqua Ring). I went with the HD remaster which was offered once on PSplus.

I love it ! It asked a bit of adaptation because it's really old school and slow playstyle but it's really what I wanted. Inventory, save and ammo management, methodical approach, studying the map to find the best routes... Puzzles are interesting and clever enough for me.

I really like how you have to choose your fights due to the ammo limitation. Also decide to burn a corpse or not. And not better feeling to blow up a zombie's head with a shotgun.
I went for original tank controls because it makes more sense with the fixed camera and honestly I like them and find them charming.

I love the visuals and the cameras really add to it. It create a great atmosphere. Speaking of which, the notes you find on the way are really good. Reading how a guy was infected and slowly turn into a zombie is so horrifying but also goofy.

I have arachnophobia but spiders in games never bothered me. But here, damn ! These giant tarantulas really look real and they got me by surprise. I drop my controller and had to leave the room for a bit. But even past the surprise, I was still extremely uncomfortable and disgusted to see them. Even when dead.

Now I got the helmet key and will head back to the manor. Can't wait to continue my journey.

For the purist : I plan to replay it with Chris when I am done before moving to 0. Is it worth it, lore/story wise ? One of the reason I play this franchise is for the story/lore (even if it looks like a mess according to some people I asked) so I want to get the most out of it. And I guess my second run will be much quicker.

tumblr_ot8sjtyDOD1wpyxh6o1_540.gifv

I'll post my progress and thoughts here.

Feel free to share you love for the franchise (without spoiling) and discuss it.
100% support what you're doing but I'd hold off on going into Zero right after REmake.

Zero isn't a bad game but it's pretty damn brutal on Normal/Hard and it's just kind of a slog. The story is shit too, playing Zero might sour your journey with the rest of the games.

I would play the Chris campaign in REmake or go straight into RE2make, save Zero for another time.

Also, as others have mentioned. Try to play the original PSX version of Nemesis if you're able, it's such a great game. Much better than RE3make but 3make is a great game too, just cut out too much stuff from the original.

oji-san

Banned
Enjoy them mate. :) wow what a ride you're in for!
To me even that i played some of the older titles on PSX, the first game to grab me was RE4, then i played the rest over the years.
To me RE4 and RE Village are on top as it feels like an adventure, and i like the action RE games, i also liked 5 very much and it was my first game on X360 and was kinda wowed as i had my first HD Ready TV and going from CRT TV was amazing. 6 and Revelations was nice also. Didn't like 7 with the limited enemy variety and 2 and 3 Remakes was not for me with the gameplay was hard to enjoy with any enemy needs 5-10 bullets to the head and still they can get up.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Enjoy them mate. :) wow what a ride you're in for!
To me even that i played some of the older titles on PSX, the first game to grab me was RE4, then i played the rest over the years.
To me RE4 and RE Village are on top as it feels like an adventure, and i like the action RE games, i also liked 5 very much and it was my first game on X360 and was kinda wowed as i had my first HD Ready TV and going from CRT TV was amazing. 6 and Revelations was nice also. Didn't like 7 with the limited enemy variety and 2 and 3 Remakes was not for me with the gameplay was hard to enjoy with any enemy needs 5-10 bullets to the head and still they can get up.
Sorry to hear that, hope you give it another go at some point. The game isn't too challenging once you get your bearings. It helps to get familiar with the police station layout, clearing out certain areas helps to avoid enemies when you're backtracking.

oji-san

Banned
Sorry to hear that, hope you give it another go at some point. The game isn't too challenging once you get your bearings. It helps to get familiar with the police station layout, clearing out certain areas helps to avoid enemies when you're backtracking.

Thanks, might try them again sometime.
But yeah also unlike Village or 4, being at one location feels less fun to me, that's why my favs are Village, 4 and 5 i guess.

Last edited:

kunonabi

1. Resident Evil Remake
  2. Resident Evil 0
  3. Resident Evil 2
  5. REmake 2
  6. REmake 3
  7. (Code Veronica)
  8. Resident Evil 4

0 is worth playing for sure. It's got the best core gameplay of the classic series and it's probably the hardest one. It's also gorgeous to boot. The main problem is the story is absolute garbage which is unfortunate because the chemistry between the two leads is actually pretty fun.

DelireMan7

100% support what you're doing but I'd hold off on going into Zero right after REmake.

Zero isn't a bad game but it's pretty damn brutal on Normal/Hard and it's just kind of a slog. The story is shit too, playing Zero might sour your journey with the rest of the games.

I would play the Chris campaign in REmake or go straight into RE2make, save Zero for another time.

Also, as others have mentioned. Try to play the original PSX version of Nemesis if you're able, it's such a great game. Much better than RE3make but 3make is a great game too, just cut out too much stuff from the original.
I think I will still play Zero after REmake. I tried to find a balance between chronology and release date.

But with all the warning I got here, I think I will still continue into RE2 even if I find Zero horrible.

Thanks for the input. With all the feedback I got here, I will play OG RE 2 and 3 before the remakes.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Code Veronica fans are a curious bunch.
The game killed any respect I had in the franchise until RE4. It’s a parody of itself. The Director’s Cut only doubles down on the stupid and ridiculous stuff. RE3 is boring and by-the-numbers, but at least it isn’t the collection of everything bad with classic RE turned up to eleven and with the stupidest “story“ you could make up for a game in the year 2000. Nothing makes sense in CV. Nothing. Zero. It’s redundancy in video game form, with the kind of idiotic anime tropes that’d only become the norm in the following generation of consoles.

EDMIX

No, you can really skip Zero. And Code Veronica. Please skip Code Veronica.
I suggest you play 2 and 3 in both original and remake. For the originals, you could emulate the GameCube versions.

yea...100% not the person to listen to.

Play Zero, Play CV.

Make up your own mind on how you feel about them as enough love those titles to show they have a value to the RE fanbase.

For all we know OP ends up playing them and loves them.

So imho, anyone playing RE series for the first time shouldn't skip ANY main RE. Thats nuts and makes no sense.

RE1 remake
RE Zero remaster
RE2 remake
RE3 remake
RE CV
any version of RE4
Re5 remaster
RE6 remaster
RE VII
RE VIII
Revelations 1 and 2

That imho is the most fair and unbias list to allow OP to experience RE. What ever your view is on CV is irrelevant, enough fucking like it to support OP should play it, you think I fucking LOOOOVE RE5? I don't, but enough do for me to tell OP to see for themselves cause i don't know how they'll end up feeling regarding that game, they might end up one of those that really loves it or something.

Last edited:
I think 0 is pretty boring. The remake is too, to be honest, but not as much. It's great once it warms up. And if you want to know my favorite ever RE game, it's the original RE2, followed closely by RE3, and as much as I hate to admit it, 4 is my third favourite. CV is very close, though. I just think 4 is more enjoyable, even if CV has a better storyline and way more atmosphere.

But that's where my interest stops today. I honestly don't like the modern nonsense with Rosemary hiding from a flipping mannequin, and so on.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Resident evil is the gift that keeps on giving, RE1-3 are really great, and the rest are excited game of the year worthy games. RE5, 6 are actually good. The over the shoulder speedy gameplay against zombies gives a serious nod to action games that I don't mind.

DelireMan7

yea...100% not the person to listen to.

Play Zero, Play CV.

Make up your own mind on how you feel about them as enough love those titles to show they have a value to the RE fanbase.

For all we know OP ends up playing them and loves them.

So imho, anyone playing RE series for the first time shouldn't skip ANY main RE. Thats nuts and makes no sense.

RE1 remake
RE Zero remaster
RE2 remake
RE3 remake
RE CV
any version of RE4
Re5 remaster
RE6 remaster
RE VII
RE VIII
Revelations 1 and 2

That imho is the most fair and unbias list to allow OP to experience RE. What ever your view is on CV is irrelevant, enough fucking like it to support OP should play it, you think I fucking LOOOOVE RE5? I don't, but enough do for me to tell OP to see for themselves cause i don't know how they'll end up feeling regarding that game, they might end up one of those that really loves it or something.
My man !

I want to judge by myself so even entries which are considered bad I want to see by myself.

After like 1 hour running around in the mansion to find where to go, I check again the courtyard and examine this waterfall... Was starting to lose it xD

So I got the second octagonal key for the gate in the first manor room. Sounds like endgame is coming in my next session.

Surprised by the hunters. I like how they bust doors to catch me.

Also... there was more spiders and even a boss... Hope I don't see them anymore (in this game, pretty sure I'll see other in future games...). So unsettling for me.

I think all of the older games besides a few spin off titles, shared very similar gameplay. There is also just something so sweet about those GameCube graphics. Oh, man. I do miss how RE games used to be in the early noughties before everything ended up as a third person shooter, or something.

Now RE4....

As much as that's a great action horror game, the story is very much science fiction. It also barely even connects to the previous games, besides a few references. This is likely just for the sake of continuity carrying across. But to be honest, it really doesn't feel like the other RE games, despite recognisable items such as the bullets and the different coloured herbs. You know? Subtle things.

Then it all went downhill from there. But I seriously think they just kept it going for the money side of things.

DelireMan7

So Resident Evil Remake is done (Jill)!

And I call it a masterpiece ! Love it ! Just a small complaint toward the end in Lisa's underground and the laboratory. A lot of back and forth between very close doors.

Aside from that, it's perfect for me. I really like reading the notes. They can be quite horrifying.

It took me 11h49 and looks like I was in easy xD. At the beginning I didn't had a clear choice of difficulty. Just 3 options that describes how I think games should be. I took the middle one because I was scare to be too limited with Ink Ribbon.

I started a second run with Chris in normal. It's something else ! I have almost no ammo and barely any healing items. I tried to kill zombie with knife but it's a pain. Before I stopped my last session, I tried to run past zombie in small corridor and it looks like the way to go.

I try a bit like that and see how fast I am going. Don't know if I will complete it. Anyway now I am waiting my copy of Zero so I'll see how fast I progress till it arrives and I'll decide then.
Also ordered Resident Evil 2 and Nemesis on PS1 :)

kunonabi

So Resident Evil Remake is done (Jill)!

And I call it a masterpiece ! Love it ! Just a small complaint toward the end in Lisa's underground and the laboratory. A lot of back and forth between very close doors.

Aside from that, it's perfect for me. I really like reading the notes. They can be quite horrifying.

It took me 11h49 and looks like I was in easy xD. At the beginning I didn't had a clear choice of difficulty. Just 3 options that describes how I think games should be. I took the middle one because I was scare to be too limited with Ink Ribbon.

I started a second run with Chris in normal. It's something else ! I have almost no ammo and barely any healing items. I tried to kill zombie with knife but it's a pain. Before I stopped my last session, I tried to run past zombie in small corridor and it looks like the way to go.

I try a bit like that and see how fast I am going. Don't know if I will complete it. Anyway now I am waiting my copy of Zero so I'll see how fast I progress till it arrives and I'll decide then.
Also ordered Resident Evil 2 and Nemesis on PS1 :)
Nice, Chris's game is kind of skippable in the remake since they removed his personality.

I used to call on in Michael Does Life's streams when we were covering RE during the RE2 boom in 2020. It was hilarious roasting the naysayers.

We're mostly a sympathetic bunch that understands that the franchise has been disgraced, then redeemed, then disgraced again. Over and over again as well. For years! 🧟‍♂️

We finally seen Silent Hill revived, which I never thought would happen until the 2022 Game Awards. Although I must say that f doesn't look like anything in the series we may have had before.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Hey! I just did this exact same thing this year.

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

I didn't play all the games, but almost all. Of what I did play, I ranked them as such:

1. REmake 2
2. Resident Evil Village
3. Resident Evil VII
4. REmake 3
5. Resident Evil 5
6. Resident Evil 6

Still need to play REmake 1, REmake 4 when it comes out, and maybe Code Veronica.

Top Bottom