• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Resident Evil franchise

Soodanim

2. Resident Evil 2

And Claire B is done ! Overall the idea of the A/B scenario is really cool. You go through some similar areas but not in the same order and you have unique areas to each of them. This goes for the puzzles too.

Small complaint about the endgame of Claire B : the fact that you need 2 slots available at the end is a bit annoying when you don't know it. I packed myself with weapons and healing items, leaving just 1 slot for a potential key item. The countdown triggers, I take 1 plug, bring it to the other room and then "You need to plug them simultaneously" -_-. Now just go back to the train for the item box and lose 1min30/2 min on the 5 min countdown...
I get that they want to be sure we have 2 free slots for the fight but it was annoying. Fun fact, I beat the boss (I like the reminiscence of RE final fight) and end up with no healing item and low life. I was then sure that I just need to open the barrier and the game was done... But they putted some zombies on the way and I got kill by it (because the clock was ticking and I just ran without thinking)....

Also I am puzzle by the surprise in the train. What happen if you don't have ammo left ? I used the second rocket to kill the zombies because I was sure it was over. Hopefully I had my grenade launcher with some ammos but I almost run out of them during the fight. Is the game giving you something, if you have no weapons, to beat it ? Would be pretty frustrating to get an auto lose there.

Amazing game anyway. RE1 is still above for me (because less action, more survival horror and it's difficult to beat the mansion's atmosphere) but it definitely deserves its reputation. I get all the fuzz about it in 1998. The 2 characters/2 scenarios is a neat idea. I love the small interaction between then like the machine gun/bag.
It's crazy how such a short game gives you a lot of interesting content : 4 playthroughs, secrets to find and new stuff after finish it (I got the message about Brad and the special key once I finished Claire B).
Don't want to start a "old school VS modern gaming" discussion but I prefer this way of adding content and replayability rather than just adding tons of "collect all this stuff on a map" we get a lot today.

I'll not go for Claire A/Leon B (at least now) and jump directly into Resident Evil 3 Nemesis.
I don't know what happens if you run out of ammo at the end, but I feel like I might have read there's some code in place to help you along as it were. Maybe I imagined that, though. This is unrelated, but did you find the various Custom Parts as Leon? Handgun, Shotgun, and Magnum. Magnum is very easy to miss.

On top of the 4 scenarios you have two challenge modes: Hunk and Tofu, where you have to get from the sewers to the helipad. Hunk has a full inventory of weaponry and healing, and Tofu just has a knife and a lot of healing. On top of that, in later releases (Dual Shock, GameCube, PC) there's also Ex Battle mode, where you choose one of 4 characters (Leon, Claire, Ada, or a returning Chris) and have to work your way from the lab to the RPD but it's a much more long form mode where you can explore, find items, and even save; and it's split into 3 stages. Then of course you have the rank-based unlocks for the main game, so you get to have fun with those. Later releases also include Arrange mode, which makes life very easy for you by giving you a machine gun and whatnot.

I actually started a new run of RE3 inspired by this thread, and I plan to take it nice and slow to appreciate the details.

Before you start, 3 has two difficulties: Easy and Hard. Hard is actually just your standard mode. Easy mode, like RE2's arrange mode, gives you an entire arsenal from the start of the game. The only drawback is that you don't get access to a series of boss drops. To help you decide if you might want to do it, some of the earlier drops are parts to make a unique handgun and a unique shotgun. Part of me thinks you might prefer Easy so you can get through it and not get series fatigue, but if you prefer the survival horror side you might find it too easy to have access to that much so early.

Changes are explained by the 2 guide items when you start the game, but I don't remember how much the game explains dodging to you. I didn't know what I was doing at all back at release, but it's nice to be able to use it. Dodging is something that happens if you correctly time pressing R1, or tapping X while R1 is held, just before an enemy hits you. It's easier with smaller weapons. Ammo crafting is not essential on Easy mode, which you might find good to know as someone who prefers the survival horror side more than the action side, but there are benefits to crafting ammo.

Have fun! Resident Evil 2 takes place on September 29th, by the way.

DelireMan7

I don't know what happens if you run out of ammo at the end, but I feel like I might have read there's some code in place to help you along as it were. Maybe I imagined that, though. This is unrelated, but did you find the various Custom Parts as Leon? Handgun, Shotgun, and Magnum. Magnum is very easy to miss.

On top of the 4 scenarios you have two challenge modes: Hunk and Tofu, where you have to get from the sewers to the helipad. Hunk has a full inventory of weaponry and healing, and Tofu just has a knife and a lot of healing. On top of that, in later releases (Dual Shock, GameCube, PC) there's also Ex Battle mode, where you choose one of 4 characters (Leon, Claire, Ada, or a returning Chris) and have to work your way from the lab to the RPD but it's a much more long form mode where you can explore, find items, and even save; and it's split into 3 stages. Then of course you have the rank-based unlocks for the main game, so you get to have fun with those. Later releases also include Arrange mode, which makes life very easy for you by giving you a machine gun and whatnot.

I actually started a new run of RE3 inspired by this thread, and I plan to take it nice and slow to appreciate the details.

Before you start, 3 has two difficulties: Easy and Hard. Hard is actually just your standard mode. Easy mode, like RE2's arrange mode, gives you an entire arsenal from the start of the game. The only drawback is that you don't get access to a series of boss drops. To help you decide if you might want to do it, some of the earlier drops are parts to make a unique handgun and a unique shotgun. Part of me thinks you might prefer Easy so you can get through it and not get series fatigue, but if you prefer the survival horror side you might find it too easy to have access to that much so early.

Changes are explained by the 2 guide items when you start the game, but I don't remember how much the game explains dodging to you. I didn't know what I was doing at all back at release, but it's nice to be able to use it. Dodging is something that happens if you correctly time pressing R1, or tapping X while R1 is held, just before an enemy hits you. It's easier with smaller weapons. Ammo crafting is not essential on Easy mode, which you might find good to know as someone who prefers the survival horror side more than the action side, but there are benefits to crafting ammo.

Have fun! Resident Evil 2 takes place on September 29th, by the way.
I did find the part to customize the handgun. Not for the shotgun. I did get the Magnum (but not the custom part). I ended up with one small key put didn't find the use.

It's crazy how much extra stuff they packed into the game. You unlock this extra mode by completing the 4 scenarios ?

I did start RE3 before your post. But thanks for the info. I choose Hard because it RE2 was just fine in term of difficulty.

I tried to practice the dodge and only succeed once. But now I know when I have to press. Before I was just spamming R1 close to enemies...

I find the crafting ammo system interesting. Curious to see more. For the moment I have plenty of ammo.

I just did the police station. It was nice to revisit it.

First chase by Nemesis. To my surprise I enjoyed it. Hearing him from a far while I am running in to other rooms feels great. I like the sense of emergency it gives to the game.
Let see if I think the same after he kills me a few times xD

Also the map looks gigantic compare to RE2. Seeing the map of the streets is overwhelming at first.

Glad to hear that you accompany me into RE3 :)

Soodanim

I did find the part to customize the handgun. Not for the shotgun. I did get the Magnum (but not the custom part). I ended up with one small key put didn't find the use.
Shotgun parts are on a body at the dead end of a corridor before the Marshalling Yard (before the big lift that takes you to the lab), and the Magnum parts are in the lab but the key is just after the sewer tram, you have to use the lighter on a flare to see the item glint. For some reason, in versions outside of the original Japanese some items are invisible (and sometimes moved).
It's crazy how much extra stuff they packed into the game. You unlock this extra mode by completing the 4 scenarios ?
Hunk is after 4, Tofu I think is after 6, and Ex Battle is after 1 (IIRC). Lots to do!
I did start RE3 before your post. But thanks for the info. I choose Hard because it RE2 was just fine in term of difficulty.

I tried to practice the dodge and only succeed once. But now I know when I have to press. Before I was just spamming R1 close to enemies...

I find the crafting ammo system interesting. Curious to see more. For the moment I have plenty of ammo.

I just did the police station. It was nice to revisit it.

First chase by Nemesis. To my surprise I enjoyed it. Hearing him from a far while I am running in to other rooms feels great. I like the sense of emergency it gives to the game.
Let see if I think the same after he kills me a few times xD

Also the map looks gigantic compare to RE2. Seeing the map of the streets is overwhelming at first.

Glad to hear that you accompany me into RE3 :)
I still remember my first attempt at Hard (I think I would have been 12 at the time), trying to limp past Nemesis in danger condition about half way through the game. It went as well as you'd expect.

It's hard trying to remember what it's like not knowing the map, it's easy to forget just how big a change it all is from 1 and 2 when you're used to it! Especially with the first area being interconnected, there's a lot to process there.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, it's a different direction for the series but it has so much to offer and the choices you make all make a difference. It's not survival horror like it was, but I think it has its own atmosphere that makes it shine.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
All of these games feel like experiments. And I get it, to an extent. They have to try different things to stop their top franchise from becoming stale. But in changing so much and making it all come across as ridiculous, they've headed away from what the franchise was over 20 years ago.
So… stale and with nowhere to go?
REmake is only legendary because of the graphics and the difficulty. Resident Evil’s classic formula was already stale by RE3, and Code Veronica all but buried it. The over-the-topness of RE6 at least knows it’s ridiculous. Code Veronica was so blatantly unaware of how ridiculous it was, it’s scarier than whatever else the game attempted. The REmake tried to steer course, but it was a shiny coat of paint over a rotting corpse. A remake is kinda the opposite of a new start, after all.

Code Veronica was already leaning more towards John Woo than George Romero, so the series embracing its campiness with RE4 was kinda inevitable. There’s only so many things you can do with the “place crawling with zombies” setup. Capcom went the right way with RE4, imo.

I do like RE4 as an action game, but I didn't find it was very scary. I much prefer games like the remake, but the slower pace in the game is because it's the first story in the series, so they build it up slowly, and this won't appeal to those who want action to come thick and fast.

Once the series got more established, they made it very Hollywood. 📽️

Now they're trying to be like Silent Hill with that darn mannequin following Rosemary. LOL. 😅

lachesis

I liked Code Veronica very much. It was refreshing to see the jump to the 3D environment - and it was quite good looking one when it was released on DC.
The story itself is pretty forgettable and rather cliche'd - but I liked the general setting.

I like all RE's pretty much - but if I had to pick my least favorite one would be 0. It was little too tedious, and a step down from the RE1 Remake. RE6 is another black sheep, but I did actually enjoy it - but it went a bit too far into Hollywood action movie style than Survival horror feel. RE5 was going that way as well, and in some case, the great RE4 as well... but it is what it is, I guess - and laid the railroad for the later Remakes, which I love both RE2 Remake and RE3 Remake too. RE3 Remake, I understand gutting out part and is clearly inferior to RE2 Remake - but RE3 on PS1 also personally felt somewhat inferior to RE2 to begin with... and was beginning to feel a bit tired of same tank control scheme, even though quick dodge and turns made things much more manageable for original RE3.

But in any case, I think playing in the order by its release date would be a good one. You'd see the progression of the gameplay and all. Most of them have pretty self contained stories - so I don't think story's chronological order has that much importance - as you'll be filled in no matter what.

DelireMan7

But in any case, I think playing in the order by its release date would be a good one. You'd see the progression of the gameplay and all. Most of them have pretty self contained stories - so I don't think story's chronological order has that much importance - as you'll be filled in no matter what.
I was considering that but decided to go with mix of release order and chronological order.
After 3 I'll go for Zero since I already have it.

I like all the discussion going on on this thread about the franchise:)

So I am after the tram crashed in the clock tower building.
The game is good but few stuff annoy me a bit. The biggest one is all the "unexpected" things happening to slow the progression (mostly windows breaking and zombies/crows appear). It happens a lot ! Sometimes combine with Nemesis chasing you it's quite annoying. Each time stuff like that happens I am like
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Also areas are very regularly refilled with enemies. In previous games once you cleared a room, it was staying clear for most of the game. Now enemies popping up in them regularly. Not a fan.

And a lot of large zombie groups in small space. I get that it's probably due to the new dodge action but I am really bad at it (actually quite good against Nemesis but don't get it on normal enemies). So I end up killing everything most of the time. Hopefully so far ammo are quite abundant.

Still like solving puzzle and reading note. Also exploring a devastated Racoon city has a really nice feeling. Really good atmosphere. I love the CGI cutscenes. I really miss stuff like that.

And the ammo crafting is cool especially with the experience system. Now I can craft enhanced ammo for the pistol :)

And finally, the "Choose your action" moments are really cool. I remember my crazy friend telling me about that and I found that amazing. Really happy to experience it 20+ years later

Last edited:

Soodanim

I was considering that but decided to go with mix of release order and chronological order.

The game is good but few stuff annoy me a bit. The biggest one is all the "unexpected" things happening to slow the progression (mostly windows breaking and zombies/crows appear). It happens a lot ! Sometimes combine with Nemesis chasing you it's quite annoying. Each time stuff like that happens I am like

Also areas are very regularly refilled with enemies. In previous games once you cleared a room, it was staying clear for most of the game. Now enemies popping up in them regularly. Not a fan.

And a lot of large zombie groups in small space. I get that it's probably due to the new dodge action but I am really bad at it (actually quite good against Nemesis but don't get it on normal enemies). So I end up killing everything most of the time. Hopefully so far ammo are quite abundant.

Still like solving puzzle and reading note. Also exploring a devastated Racoon city has a really nice feeling. Really good atmosphere. I love the CGI cutscenes. I really miss stuff like that.

And the ammo crafting is cool especially with the experience system. Now I can craft enhanced ammo for the pistol :)

And finally, the "Choose your action" moment are really cool. I remember my crazy friend telling me about that and I found that amazing. Really happy to experience it.
Assuming you won't play more than once before moving on: The crow moments are pseudo-random to each playthrough, and you might get nothing one playthrough but then dogs in another. It's one of the things dictated by your actions, along with item placement and and even Nemesis location and cutscene changes. The things you encountered are almost certainly different to what I did in small or large ways

It's funny you bring up enemy respawns, because it's one of those things that I instinctively know to avoid but don't consciously think about when I'm playing. Most noticeably the T-shapde alleyway behind the restaurant that you pass through many times. I've been leaving one alive in there for so long that I don't even question it, but you're absolutely right and it's only when you point it out that I think about it!

I'm glad you stuck with it and discovered the enhanced ammo, I didn't want to directly say it but I didn't want you to miss it as it seems to be the equivalent of upgrading with custom parts in 2.

kunonabi

And finally, the "Choose your action" moments are really cool. I remember my crazy friend telling me about that and I found that amazing. Really happy to experience it 20+ years later

RE3 actually tries to emulate a more traditional zombie story so that's why you get a lot of the "from the bad to worse" moments and chase sequences. On repeat playthroughs the pacing actually ends up feeling quick once you're more familiar with it. It also doesn't want to be as easy to memorize which is why so much of it is randomized and things respawn. Dodging can be mastered but in a first playthrough it's more just there as a kind of fortunate turn of events. Again it's there to add spontaneity and a thrill to things instead of being as programmed and strictly laid out as 1 and 2.

RE3 actually tries to emulate a more traditional zombie story so that's why you get a lot of the "from the bad to worse" moments and chase sequences. On repeat playthroughs the pacing actually ends up feeling quick once you're more familiar with it. It also doesn't want to be as easy to memorize which is why so much of it is randomized and things respawn. Dodging can be mastered but in a first playthrough it's more just there as a kind of fortunate turn of events. Again it's there to add spontaneity and a thrill to things instead of being as programmed and strictly laid out as 1 and 2.
I just did a run of RE3 Ps1 as well on hard and beat nemesis everytime and it was brutal. That dodge is tough to master. Much more manageable and fun in the remake...such a shame they cut so much.

DelireMan7

Assuming you won't play more than once before moving on: The crow moments are pseudo-random to each playthrough, and you might get nothing one playthrough but then dogs in another. It's one of the things dictated by your actions, along with item placement and and even Nemesis location and cutscene changes. The things you encountered are almost certainly different to what I did in small or large ways

It's funny you bring up enemy respawns, because it's one of those things that I instinctively know to avoid but don't consciously think about when I'm playing. Most noticeably the T-shapde alleyway behind the restaurant that you pass through many times. I've been leaving one alive in there for so long that I don't even question it, but you're absolutely right and it's only when you point it out that I think about it!

I'm glad you stuck with it and discovered the enhanced ammo, I didn't want to directly say it but I didn't want you to miss it as it seems to be the equivalent of upgrading with custom parts in 2.

Hum that's pretty cool that these moments are changing. Once again, nice way to increase replayability.

Ho so letting enemies alive prevent the respawn ? That's good to know.

I really like this crafting ammo with experience system. Really rewarding.
I didn't try yet to craft Magnum ammo because it's quite costly (3 powder C)

"from the bad to worse" moments
Yes that describe really well RE3 Nemesis.

And yes dodging regular zombies is really what you describe for me. The only thing I can dodge on purpose and consistently are the Nemesis' punches xD

Sophist

I have great respect for this series. Many of the things that Kojima was praised for with Metal Gear Solid were actually done first by Mikami in resident evil. A fact that has been forgotten by most. Kojima is a false prophet.

DelireMan7

I have great respect for this series. Many of the things that Kojima was praised for with Metal Gear Solid were actually done first by Mikami in resident evil. A fact that has been forgotten by most. Kojima is a false prophet.

It's funny, when playing REmake, and find out about all the little secrets scene you can get I toughth "It reminds me of Metal Gear Solid but this game came before". I think there are other things that remind me MGS but now I can't remember what xD

Soodanim

Hum that's pretty cool that these moments are changing. Once again, nice way to increase replayability.

Ho so letting enemies alive prevent the respawn ? That's good to know.

I really like this crafting ammo with experience system. Really rewarding.
I didn't try yet to craft Magnum ammo because it's quite costly (3 powder C)

"from the bad to worse" moments
Yes that describe really well RE3 Nemesis.

And yes dodging regular zombies is really what you describe for me. The only thing I can dodge on purpose and consistently are the Nemesis' punches xD
Magnum ammo is prohibitively costly, and a more common route is to combine C powder with grenade rounds for freeze rounds. A lot of bang for your buck there. You'll find some magnum rounds over time anyway, no need to worry too much.

The worst thing about dodging Nemesis' punches is that if you're anywhere near a wall you'll often dodge into it and get hit anyway.

Have you been using environmental things with R2 aiming? Another new feature, and it's not just red barrels. Steam valves in the oil room when zombies burst in, etc.

DelireMan7

Magnum ammo is prohibitively costly, and a more common route is to combine C powder with grenade rounds for freeze rounds. A lot of bang for your buck there. You'll find some magnum rounds over time anyway, no need to worry too much.

The worst thing about dodging Nemesis' punches is that if you're anywhere near a wall you'll often dodge into it and get hit anyway.

Have you been using environmental things with R2 aiming? Another new feature, and it's not just red barrels. Steam valves in the oil room when zombies burst in, etc.
Yes, anyway in RE1 and 2, I only used the Magnum at the end when the game gives you lot of ammo for it.

The environmental things are really nice. I got rob in the oil room. I saw the 2 valves and I waited in the corner that the zombies come closer to the steam one. But when I pressed R2, it targeted the nitrogen one behind me... So I could still wait the zombie and shot the Nitrogen valve to kill some of them but I had to finish 3 zombies by myself.

DelireMan7

So I passed the clock Tower (this Nemesis fight was brutal, took me 2/3 tries. Ended up almost just mashing R1 with grenade Launcher xD).

Also fucking Spiders.

Did the Carlos section. A cool full action section with his rifle. I liked the hospital part with the notes of doctors.

I am now in the cemetery with Jill. I guess I am approaching the end now.

A cool game but I definitely like a bit less the more action focus. But the feeling of danger with Nemesis is pretty cool.

kunonabi

So I passed the clock Tower (this Nemesis fight was brutal, took me 2/3 tries. Ended up almost just mashing R1 with grenade Launcher xD).

Also fucking Spiders.

Did the Carlos section. A cool full action section with his rifle. I liked the hospital part with the notes of doctors.

A cool game but I definitely like a bit less the more action focus. But the feeling of danger with Nemesis is pretty cool.
Yeah, it's definitely high on the action but it's done the best out of the classic games so it doesn't bother me as much it usually would. It never falls into cartoonish and borderline parody like the later games do which also helps.

Soodanim

Also fucking Spiders.

Nice. That fight is a bit tricky because you have the "Virus" status masking your health, and you can easily be killed before you notice the Danger limp.

Did you get unlucky and get the set of spiders on the upper lobby? The corridor ones are fixed so there's no avoiding them, but I think you're completely done with them now. Do you get extra catharsis from killing spiders, or do you run past?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I do like RE4 as an action game, but I didn't find it was very scary. I much prefer games like the remake, but the slower pace in the game is because it's the first story in the series, so they build it up slowly, and this won't appeal to those who want action to come thick and fast.

Once the series got more established, they made it very Hollywood. 📽️

Now they're trying to be like Silent Hill with that darn mannequin following Rosemary. LOL. 😅
I got the DLC last night and that mannequin thing is easily the most effective thing so far, I'm a ways past that section now and probably right near the end.

I was playing with headphones and those footsteps had my skin crawling. Once I was done with that I had to do one of those involuntary shakes to get the feeling off me, lol.

DelireMan7

Nice. That fight is a bit tricky because you have the "Virus" status masking your health, and you can easily be killed before you notice the Danger limp.

Did you get unlucky and get the set of spiders on the upper lobby? The corridor ones are fixed so there's no avoiding them, but I think you're completely done with them now. Do you get extra catharsis from killing spiders, or do you run past?
Yes the virus status was annoying indeed.

Yes I got them also in the upper lobby.

I killed them with Jill, swearing with a disgusted face. But I don't particularly enjoy it . Then with Carlos I run past those in the corridor (because they respawn to despawn a bit later. Weird...) because I didn't to stay long near them anymore xD

DelireMan7

3. Resident Evil 3 : Nemesis

And done in 5h28 min !

(And I just relaunch the game quickly I see the hilarious entrance of Jill rolling from an explosion but it looks like she's "born" from it xD)

More action oriented and oppressive with Nemesis and bad surprises constantly coming.

Still very impressive for its times. The choice moment are pretty interesting. Worth replays to see the difference.
Already mentioned but some respawn of enemies are annoying. You traverse an empty corridor, pick up a key item in the next room then come back in the corridor which is now filled with enemies... It's not all the time but often and I am not a fan of that.

Confrontration with Nemesis are tough. I liked the 2 last one (witht the acid valve and then the big "canon").

Next on my list is Resident Evil Zero.
Not gonna lie : I got my key for Chained Echoes (16bit JRPG), announcement of Armored Core VI got me pretty hyped on playing some games in the series and Death Stranding 2 announcement reminds me I need to play the first one...

I'll probably play Zero before Christmas but I might take a break from RE for playing other stuff before coming back.

Soodanim

And done in 5h28 min !

(And I just relaunch the game quickly I see the hilarious entrance of Jill rolling from an explosion but it looks like she's "born" from it xD)

More action oriented and oppressive with Nemesis and bad surprises constantly coming.

Still very impressive for its times. The choice moment are pretty interesting. Worth replays to see the difference.
Already mentioned but some respawn of enemies are annoying. You traverse an empty corridor, pick up a key item in the next room then come back in the corridor which is now filled with enemies... It's not all the time but often and I am not a fan of that.

Confrontration with Nemesis are tough. I liked the 2 last one (witht the acid valve and then the big "canon").

Not gonna lie : I got my key for Chained Echoes (16bit JRPG), announcement of Armored Core VI got me pretty hyped on playing some games in the series and Death Stranding 2 announcement reminds me I need to play the first one...

I'll probably play Zero before Christmas but I might take a break from RE for playing other stuff before coming back.
Nice! What option did you pick on the bridge before the factory? That causes a significant change to the end, including who picks you up in the helicopter (who rescued you?).

I recommend at least one run of Mercenaries, just pick Mikhail and you get to use a rocket launcher. If for nothing else, if you make it to the long thin room where you first get the hose you get to watch Nemesis shoot zombies that are between you and him, then run, get stuck on zombies, and one hit kill punch them. I always love a bit of friendly fire in games and Nemesis is no exception.

I like the acid room fight too. It's actually possible to finish the whole fight with just acid tap damage, which you can see in pretty much any speed run. Timestamped below.

If you do ever replay, something you might find useful is that if the intention for grenade rounds is that you combine a C with 6 rounds for 6 freeze rounds. But if you keep your pick ups separate and you combine a CCC with 6 rounds, you get 18 rounds from it. Magic! Not that you ever struggle for ammo, but you're never going to have the first mystery run again so you might as well have fun with it. Also, when you're getting train parts, go for them in a different order. That's the major factor in Nemesis encounters.

Even if you stop after 0, that's a good stopping point. That will be classic style done, and you can come back fresh with RE4 when the time is right.

Edit:
I forgot to ask, did you beat Nemesis many times? From the last drop you get an absurd item: infinite ammo for a weapon of your choice

Last edited:

kunonabi

And done in 5h28 min !

Zero is pretty heavy gameplay wise so talking a short break first isn't a terrible idea. Glad you enjoyed RE3. It's actually my favorite in the series and in my all-time top 10.

Since getting Outbreak online is an endeavor, but worth it, I'd suggest just giving the opening cinematic a look. It's one of the greatest video game intros ever.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Zero is pretty heavy gameplay wise so talking a short break first isn't a terrible idea. Glad you enjoyed RE3. It's actually my favorite in the series and in my all-time top 10.

Since getting Outbreak online is an endeavor, but worth it, I'd suggest giving the opening cinematic a look. It's one of the greatest video game intros ever.
It's a shame Outbreak 1/2 aren't really worth the effort (IMO) these days, because I think they really round out Raccoon City as a whole as well as some of the specific locations (like the hospital from 3, except the floors you don't go to, or the different routes in the RPD).

Delire, as this is your show, the Outbreak games had you pick a character from 8 and go through smaller scenarios as co-op groups. Each character had a unique move or ability, and it made for some great teamwork. You could combine a broom handle and a knife as one character then give it to a character that excels with melee weapons. But nowadays even if you play on a PS2 emulator using fan servers the loading times are just too long. They were a generation too early to be truly popular, and Capcom never brought the idea back in the same form.

Opening cinematic:

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Nice! What option did you pick on the bridge before the factory? That causes a significant change to the end, including who picks you up in the helicopter (who rescued you?).
I push Nemesis from teh bridge. It's Carlos who came at the end. I an gonna check online the other endings.
I like the acid room fight too. It's actually possible to finish the whole fight with just acid tap damage
It's basically what I did after my first death. Since the intro showed Jill dodging to make Nemesis trigger the acid, I was trying the same but with no success. Till I realize I could just shoot the valve with my gun.
I just did that on my second try.
Also, when you're getting train parts, go for them in a different order. That's the major factor in Nemesis encounters.
Once again, impressive replayability.
Even if you stop after 0, that's a good stopping point. That will be classic style done, and you can come back fresh with RE4 when the time is right.
It's what I was thinking. Then I could come back later with REmake 2/3 , maybe Code Veronica and 4.
I forgot to ask, did you beat Nemesis many times? From the last drop you get an absurd item:
Hum... Aside from the mandatatory fights, I never beat him. Maybe one of the first time, when you meet Carlos, I choose the option to hide. When I came back, I got some part "Eagle something" but could never customize any weapon with...
Since getting Outbreak online is an endeavor, but worth it, I'd suggest just giving the opening cinematic a look. It's one of the greatest video game intros ever.

It's a shame Outbreak 1/2 aren't really worth the effort (IMO) these days, because I think they really round out Raccoon City as a whole as well as some of the specific locations (like the hospital from 3, except the floors you don't go to, or the different routes in the RPD).

I actually looked an indepth review of Outbreak. It looks like a very interesting title. Shame the online is out.

Soodanim

It's what I was thinking. Then I could come back later with REmake 2/3 , maybe Code Veronica and 4.
Normally I would say go in release order to follow the progression of mechanics and story, but the remakes don't really replace the originals so it could be interesting to see fresh takes on original and remake from someone who played both without nostalgia. I say go for it.
Hum... Aside from the mandatatory fights, I never beat him. Maybe one of the first time, when you meet Carlos, I choose the option to hide. When I came back, I got some part "Eagle something" but could never customize any weapon with...
The weapons come in A and B parts, so it takes 2 Nemesis "kills" per weapon. If you do both you can finish the Eagle before you leave the RPD, and I think you can get the shotgun finished before you get to the clock tower.
I actually looked an indepth review of Outbreak. It looks like a very interesting title. Shame the online is out.
To be fair, I think I may have been a little harsh on it. It's still playable offline, and here in Europe the first game didn't have online at all. Offline you get 2 AI characters per stage (online is 3 partners) and they take the paths you don't take to retrieve key items. My take was from my short experience of playing online recently, which was diminished by me having forgotten everything and trying to keep up with people. I might try it again by myself, because I had a LOT of fun with those games when they released. Seeing returning characters and expanded areas from 2/3 is good fun, and there's a ton of optional stuff to do that unlocks characters to try. They're just reskins of the main 8, but they also have modified stats so they do add some variety. If you want to find out what happened on the other floors of the lab in 2 and why that one room is frozen, Outbreak is the answer!

I'm not going to discuss RE online any more going forward, since everything I have wanted to say has been said innumerable times already, both on NeoGAF and so many other forums I am a member of.

We can now only sit back and hazard a guess as to what RE9 will be about. However, if it ends up being something like RE8 again with a faceless main character in a fantasy world fighting dumb looking bosses with a main character just "added" for the hell of it, then count me out. 😵

I'm just not a fan of that. I felt as if 7 and 8 were nothing like the older games. 8 more so, but 7 I can somewhat appreciate. Although I feel like Capcom is just recycling ideas today too, besides copying other people's games. Because if you think about it, RE8 is way too similar to RE4. Just like RE6 had shades of RE2. 🧟‍♂️

And I see Kotaku made that GOW and RE6 comparison video I regularly posted, now private. Gee, I wonder why. I did link to that one quite a lot, LOL. 😁

Aye, but they probably didn't want to be exposed too much. I know they definitely enjoy copying things, then somehow passing it off that they were supposed to have made it up first.

OK. Right...

😣

I'm not going to discuss RE online any more going forward, since everything I have wanted to say has been said innumerable times already, both on NeoGAF and so many other forums I am a member of.

We can now only sit back and hazard a guess as to what RE9 will be about. However, if it ends up being something like RE8 again with a faceless main character in a fantasy world fighting dumb looking bosses with a main character just "added" for the hell of it, then count me out. 😵

I'm just not a fan of that. I felt as if 7 and 8 were nothing like the older games. 8 more so, but 7 I can somewhat appreciate. Although I feel like Capcom is just recycling ideas today too, besides copying other people's games. Because if you think about it, RE8 is way too similar to RE4. Just like RE6 had shades of RE2. 🧟‍♂️

And I see Kotaku made that GOW and RE6 comparison video I regularly posted, now private. Gee, I wonder why. I did link to that one quite a lot, LOL. 😁

Aye, but they probably didn't want to be exposed too much. I know they definitely enjoy copying things, then somehow passing it off that they were supposed to have made it up first.

OK. Right...

😣
You know while I really enjoyed 7 and 8, I have to agree with you. I would much rather have 9 go back to being a survival horror like RE1 and 2. I'd like to play as Jill again but in a heavy puzzle focused game this time around.

RE1 had the best atmosphere and locations in my opinion but RE2 had me more engaged with the story. I never cared for Ethan Winters story but RE7 had a great setting excluding the boat.

Apparently, RE9 is going to include co-op, because there's a possibility they plan on remaking RE5. So the game is essentially going to be a test run for that.

I'm just tired of these remakes. I know they're avoiding remaking CV, which is pretty darn stupid, because it's an important mainline entry. Yet they could remake the first game again in the same engine, as the older game from 2002 that is absolutely splendid as a survival horror classic, really doesn't suit the feel of the modern treatment of these newer games. Personally, I would rather Capcom didn't touch that classic, but I am merely saying that a remake in the RE Engine would be better for comparison purposes.

For example, if you play the RE3 remake having never played the first game or the remake it is based on, you'll be a bit lost as to what Jill's character pertains to if you're a newcomer. There's no real back story for Jill. You know she's traumatized, she wants Umbrella stopped permanently, and that she's an ex cop who was booted out of the force, or she quit, or whatever.

But you have to remember that even if the original games exist and people are familiar with the story that's there, then the remakes are still meant to basically prove that something still occurred in the canon. Kind of dope of Capcom to overlook this.

So them not remaking RE1 in the same engine at Capcom is odd. Because like I said, they remade RE2 for the new crowd, when it would make sense to remake the games in order. And as you know, Konami is doing this as well. They're just aiming to remake the games that will make a ton of cash and that's basically where their morals lay here.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Great thread OP.

Really enjoyed reading your comments on Nemesis. Be sure to share your thoughts if you play the remake, it'd be really interesting to see how you feel about the differences.

One thing I love about Nemesis is that it allows different routes that can trigger unique scenarios, not even including the various decisions the game allows you to make when Nemesis appears. There's scenes that can trigger from going to specific spots in the city first; more scenes with Carlos and the Black Umbrella guy. A few other characters too I think. It really rewards experimentation and increases the replay value big time. Kind of like the original RE. That game has 6 total endings and various optional cutscenes you can trigger. The optional scenarios are one of my favorite things when it comes to RE but unfortunately it's only in a few games. I wish they'd bring it back.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Apparently, RE9 is going to include co-op, because there's a possibility they plan on remaking RE5. So the game is essentially going to be a test run for that.
I wish they'd remake CV too. I love that game but the story is so absurd, a remake could really get it in order. I have other issues too but the gameplay and puzzles and absolute god-tier when it comes to classic style RE.

If they do coop I would hope they keep it like it already is but make the enemies tougher. Maybe force the players to split up and be isolated for huge chunks of the game. Have to each solve puzzles so the other can progress. You could have some terrifying scenarios with that. I still want limited resources and for it to be nothing like the original RE4, and RE5 & 6. I really don't like RE games being pure over the top action. That's not what these games are supposed to be. Just make a coop raid mode for over the top stuff, we don't need it in the main campaign.

Soodanim

A remake of 5 would be an opportunity to drop the forced co-op and go with their original ideas, which we had one trailer of IIRC. I doubt it, but dropping the trend following change that came off the back of the ridiculous controversy of killing black zombies in Africa would free them up to focus more of the game they wanted to make and less on fixing a PR issue.

But then people would say the co-op should still be there, so you cannot win.

I do agree that the original game severely lacks a feeling of dread. Having helpers throughout the game doesn't make you feel death is coming as you can just unload so much arsenal into them. They have to force certain enemies your way, and those annoying QTEs. Then you may die a lame way because you didn't hit R2 and X in time when the pillars were crumbling, or whatever.

RE fans can be a fussy bunch sometimes. 😄

Soodanim

But then people would say the co-op should still be there, so you cannot win.

I do agree that the original game severely lacks a feeling of dread. Having helpers throughout the game doesn't make you feel death is coming as you can just unload so much arsenal into them. They have to force certain enemies your way, and those annoying QTEs. Then you may die a lame way because you didn't hit R2 and X in time when the pillars were crumbling, or whatever.

RE fans can be a fussy bunch sometimes. 😄
lol that's true! Downside of diversifying to stay fresh is you get hardcore fans at every step. Every game is someone's favourite. Except maybe Dead Aim. Although I do think if they're ever going to get away with making a drastic change, the trend of co-op being very much of its time means might make it the best chance they have.

DelireMan7 DelireMan7 have you heard of Resident Evil: Dead Aim? It's a PS2 title. A hybrid of a game that is played in third person, but you switch to first person like RE:Survivor to aim. You can plug a USB mouse in to control it that way, which is an cool little addition. I'll be completely honest: I own it, I bought a USB mouse specially for it way back when, and I've finished it, but I remember nothing about it other than it might be on a boat. It's hardly a polished title, looking at a quick clip on YouTube to remind myself of the basics.

DelireMan7

DelireMan7 DelireMan7 DelireMan7 DelireMan7 have you heard of Resident Evil: Dead Aim? It's a PS2 title. A hybrid of a game that is played in third person, but you switch to first person like RE:Survivor to aim. You can plug a USB mouse in to control it that way, which is an cool little addition. I'll be completely honest: I own it, I bought a USB mouse specially for it way back when, and I've finished it, but I remember nothing about it other than it might be on a boat. It's hardly a polished title, looking at a quick clip on YouTube to remind myself of the basics.

I heard the name but didn't know it was a hybrid third/first person.
A friend of mine gave me Darkside Chronicles on Wii. I might try it once.

So I started Zero. The "singing man" in the intro looks very out of place to me.
I liked the general atmosphere but I was not in the mood.

Then I started Chained Echoes but it was the same.

Did another session of Zero, progressed a bit more (beat the scorpion) but I find the switching mechanic and inventory management too clunky for some reason.
Anyway I am currently in a mood where I don't really know what to play so my feedback are not representative. I order Death Stranding (feel like I want a very modern title in term of visuals) and looking for a second hand copy of Armored Core 4.

I'll come back later to Resident Evil. I still want to do Zero.

kunonabi

So I started Zero. The "singing man" in the intro looks very out of place to me.

Did another session of Zero, progressed a bit more (beat the scorpion) but I find the switching mechanic and inventory management too clunky for some reason.
Anyway I am currently in a mood where I don't really know what to play so my feedback are not representative. I order Death Stranding (feel like I want a very modern title in term of visuals) and looking for a second hand copy of Armored Core 4.

Yeah its best to play Zero when you're in the mood and committed to engaging with the new systems. Because trust me the story is not going to entice you to keep going.

Death Stranding is awesome by the way.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I always forget about the Chronicles games on Wii (the other is Umbrella Chronicles), but they aren't too bad. On rails shooters that tell abridged versions of classic RE. Umbrella follows Chris/Jill, Darkside follows Leon/Claire. Darkside ends up giving backstory to 4, but it's not at all essential.

I know the feeling of not being in the mood very well, I've put games off for years for that reason. A entire backlog means nothing if you don't fancy any of it. They aren't going anywhere, and forcing it wil only put you off more. As Zero is an optional prequel, you could always skip it and come back to it if you ever feel like it. No one's going to be too mad if you don't.

If you do return to it, there's a few things you can do to minimise the switching mechanic and work around a few other things, but it's best explained when you're back into it and finish the train section. For what it's worth, the train is more switching heavy than most of the game is - it's not making you swap every 30 seconds.

Are you including the MartinBiohazard version of 1.5? It's worth checking out if you aren't aware.
I have been playing the playable version mod. It had some cool stuff and ideas, and more gruesome zombies, but i can see why capcom scrapped it. Is this playable on original hardware?

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have been playing the playable version mod. It had some cool stuff and ideas, and more gruesome zombies, but i can see why capcom scrapped it. Is this playable on original hardware?
I'm not sure if you'd be able to burn it and play on a PSX, that'd be neat though. If I didn't mention it, I made an eBoot of 1.5 and played it via the PSP hooked up to my CRT. That's probably the most "authentic" way if you're into that.

DelireMan7

Rising from the dead, I am back into Resident Evil.

After being lost in some virtual wanderings, I didn't know what to play...
  • Death Stranding : drop in middle of Chapter 3, game is just a chore simulation for me. Still really curious about the story but gameplay is not for me
  • Armored Core 4 : enjoyed it but drop it at 3/4. Really obscure game that don't explain much about its mechanics, hope it's fixed for ACVI but overall the mecha customization and gameplay are good
  • Mortal Shell : peculiar game filled with unique and interesting ideas but almost all of them have big flaws. Overall average game but really enjoyed the "weighty" and slow combat.
Then yesterday I felt like I want to go back to Racoon City vicinity and jump back into Resident Evil Zero.
Going back to the tank controls was a real pleasure.
Finished the train section and entered the "manor". Really happy to explore a manor like building. I found a weird slimmy zombie that made me use all my ammos and health item and I had to run away xD.

I have to adjust the AI because now it's using ammo on every enemies on sight. It feels comfy to be a team of 2 exploring a place filled with zombies. But I realized it becomes difficult to just run past zombies on tight spaces. I could probably switch between characters and make each room alone twice but that looks cumbersome. I'll see how it's going.

Also the writing and story looks really cringey. That "opera singer using black magic" feels so out of place in the Resident Evil universe (compare to 1,2,3).

Last edited:

Doom85

I found a weird slimmy zombie that made me use all my ammos and health item and I had to run away xD.

Cringe Reaction GIF

Dunno if you’ve been rotating your saves or how far back that was for you, but yeah the leech zombies are meant to be dealt with molotovs only IIRC. If you’re playing on a higher difficulty, the rest of the game might be rough for you, but if you’re on easy and maybe normal, you should still be okay.

DelireMan7

Cringe Reaction GIF

Dunno if you’ve been rotating your saves or how far back that was for you, but yeah the leech zombies are meant to be dealt with molotovs only IIRC. If you’re playing on a higher difficulty, the rest of the game might be rough for you, but if you’re on easy and maybe normal, you should still be okay.

I always keep some saves. I rotate over 4 save files. I was thinking that they had to be dealt with fire.

I don't remember the difficulty I choose. Maybe normal for this one I think. So far, in the previous games, there were some moments where I saved at pretty bad moments (low ammo, health items) but I never got stuck in the end. Let's see ;)

Top Bottom