• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Resident Evil franchise

Soodanim

It's back! Love a good LTTP.

It's hard to think about what to say, because my perspective is skewed by experience where I can run past a lot of threats. But that's not necessarily great advice, because not only do you avoid a lot of a game by doing that, it's too general and I focus on clearing certain rooms more than others.

The advice about fire was good to give, because those leech zombies can ruin your day if you start dumping ammo into them. Luckily they're not too fast.

DelireMan7

It's back! Love a good LTTP.

It's hard to think about what to say, because my perspective is skewed by experience where I can run past a lot of threats. But that's not necessarily great advice, because not only do you avoid a lot of a game by doing that, it's too general and I focus on clearing certain rooms more than others.

The advice about fire was good to give, because those leech zombies can ruin your day if you start dumping ammo into them. Luckily they're not too fast.

I usually don't like run past enemies in game, but it's a necessity in RE. And I love that. You really feel the survival aspect and the need to save ammo for the good moment.

I beat the Centipede. The game did something that I don't really like in games : my first try on the centipede, Bill had only a shotgun with 6 ammos and my handgun almost empty... No need to say I was quickly out of ammo and died. I find questionable to give the player no way to kill a boss if I run out of ammo (I was expecting a kind of ammo replenishment during the fight. I also look for environmental hazard that could damage the boss but no...) Maybe I could have leave the room (and find the grenade launcher in a room just close by).
With the grenade launcher, I still had to use all my grenade and shotgun ammos... But so far the game is kind and I always find back some ammo in the new rooms.

I like the fact the game forces you to split up sometimes. Even if I find the "elevator moment" a bit unfair. Rebecca has to go up and I only had the handgun on her. Suddenly I find myself in a room with those big bugs. Emptied my ammo on them but none died... I couldn't activate the elevator down to get the shotgun from Bill... So I finally run away and it ended up fine, at the cost of ammos and healing items.

But overall I like the feeling of the game, very RE1 with the "manor" and its puzzles.

Soodanim

I usually don't like run past enemies in game, but it's a necessity in RE. And I love that. You really feel the survival aspect and the need to save ammo for the good moment.

I beat the Centipede. The game did something that I don't really like in games : my first try on the centipede, Bill had only a shotgun with 6 ammos and my handgun almost empty... No need to say I was quickly out of ammo and died. I find questionable to give the player no way to kill a boss if I run out of ammo (I was expecting a kind of ammo replenishment during the fight. I also look for environmental hazard that could damage the boss but no...) Maybe I could have leave the room (and find the grenade launcher in a room just close by).
With the grenade launcher, I still had to use all my grenade and shotgun ammos... But so far the game is kind and I always find back some ammo in the new rooms.

I like the fact the game forces you to split up sometimes. Even if I find the "elevator moment" a bit unfair. Rebecca has to go up and I only had the handgun on her. Suddenly I find myself in a room with those big bugs. Emptied my ammo on them but none died... I couldn't activate the elevator down to get the shotgun from Bill... So I finally run away and it ended up fine, at the cost of ammos and healing items.

But overall I like the feeling of the game, very RE1 with the "manor" and its puzzles.
It's definitely an old school no-messing around mentality. You either have enough or don't. Does 0 have knives? That was always the infinite last resort, but it isn't ideal to say the least.

I quite like the splitting up. Same as above, it can lead to some brutally honest "You won't survive" moments that aren't always strictly your fault, but that's what saves are for. The games aren't the longest in the world, and I guess it's somewhere between being prepared and the game-wide puzzle of where to use ammo.

DelireMan7

It's definitely an old school no-messing around mentality. You either have enough or don't. Does 0 have knives? That was always the infinite last resort, but it isn't ideal to say the least.

I quite like the splitting up. Same as above, it can lead to some brutally honest "You won't survive" moments that aren't always strictly your fault, but that's what saves are for. The games aren't the longest in the world, and I guess it's somewhere between being prepared and the game-wide puzzle of where to use ammo.

I have knife on Rebecca... In previous game I never kept them since it was impossible for me to kill a zombie with it. But yesterday I actually gave the final blow to a zombie with it to save 1 bullet ^^. Felt good :)

True for the saves. And often when I die I am like "ho no it's a long time I haven't saved" but then realize that now I know exactly where to go and what dangers are on the road so in few minutes I am back to my death point.

Also have to ask, is there spiders in it ? So far there is a heavy focus on giant insects so I guess there will be some. Added to that this game was made at the same time of REmake which includes those terrifying and ultra realistic spiders...

Soodanim

I have knife on Rebecca... In previous game I never kept them since it was impossible for me to kill a zombie with it. But yesterday I actually gave the final blow to a zombie with it to save 1 bullet ^^. Felt good :)

True for the saves. And often when I die I am like "ho no it's a long time I haven't saved" but then realize that now I know exactly where to go and what dangers are on the road so in few minutes I am back to my death point.

Also have to ask, is there spiders in it ? So far there is a heavy focus on giant insects so I guess there will be some. Added to that this game was made at the same time of REmake which includes those terrifying and ultra realistic spiders...
I think you've done more knife work than me to save that one bullet, I tried once when I was younger then gave up entirely. Except for in one game. In Code Veronica they're OP, because they hit multiple times per swing if you aim down. It's more like a knife machine gun, I barely use a handgun for the first chunk of the game and then I'm up to about 200 handgun rounds.

I just looked it up for you, and spiders are in a total of 2 rooms. They're both in the same area of the game, with 3 in one room and 2 in the other. Similar to other games, really. You'll encounter them pretty soon, then never again.

Resident Evil is a franchise I say won the lottery by getting lucky.

At the time the PS1 was becoming a bigger deal and people were buying almost anything with 3DFMV, add in the cheese dubbing it helped the franchise become a hit.

If Resident Evil was released a little later, it probably would have been a one game series, maybe two if it sold enough for profit.

Silent Hill is another game that spun 7's, but it was right on the edge of being release too late, so even with it's highly rated sequel on more than one console, the series didn't take off the same way and declined instead.

It's funny how many games ended up working out just because of what time they released during periods of tech novelty.

DelireMan7

So I opened the doors locked by the knights and could solve the "balance" puzzle which open a way in the entrance. This is my next destination.

Those leeches zombies are so powerful... 3 molotovs to kill one and I can barely avoid their attacks since after the molotov my character takes ages to react and the zombie don't really care about burning xD

I just looked it up for you, and spiders are in a total of 2 rooms. They're both in the same area of the game, with 3 in one room and 2 in the other. Similar to other games, really. You'll encounter them pretty soon, then never again.

Thanks ! Can't wait to be done with them then. I just find my first blue herbs so yeah, I will quickly see the spiders I guess since blue herbs are always given slightly before poisonous danger.

At the time the PS1 was becoming a bigger deal and people were buying almost anything with 3DFMV, add in the cheese dubbing it helped the franchise become a hit.

If Resident Evil was released a little later, it probably would have been a one game series, maybe two if it sold enough for profit.

Silent Hill is another game that spun 7's, but it was right on the edge of being release too late, so even with it's highly rated sequel on more than one console, the series didn't take off the same way and declined instead.

It's funny how many games ended up working out just because of what time they released during periods of tech novelty.

I don't know. Playing it now, RE1 is a very special game. It's definitely a great game with unique aspect and charm. I don't think its success is due to good timing. Just the game is really good.

So I opened the doors locked by the knights and could solve the "balance" puzzle which open a way in the entrance. This is my next destination.

Those leeches zombies are so powerful... 3 molotovs to kill one and I can barely avoid their attacks since after the molotov my character takes ages to react and the zombie don't really care about burning xD

Thanks ! Can't wait to be done with them then. I just find my first blue herbs so yeah, I will quickly see the spiders I guess since blue herbs are always given slightly before poisonous danger.

I don't know. Playing it now, RE1 is a very special game. It's definitely a great game with unique aspect and charm. I don't think its success is due to good timing. Just the game is really good.

RE1 wasn't unique at all, it's just consoles just going into 3D graphics more mainstream benefitted RE1 on it's timing. RE1 is a heavy derivative if you played all the similar games on PC, or the action or rpg games using a similar formula.

It making a mark early also established the franchise alongside Playstation which helped it become a big thing and turned into movies.

Timing on consoles helped other franchises on the PS1 too. Or GE on N64 being another example.

fart town usa

Gold Member
RE 96 was definitely derivative of a few games before it but the base was Sweet Home and that game is pretty unique. Besides, who gives a shit if something is derivative. Most things are.

RE 96 turned heads and spawned a successful franchise because it's an amazing game and was a fresh experience for millions of people. It holds up fantastically and the constant finger wagging at the cheese voice acting is honestly just incredibly lazy commentary. There is far worse voice acting from that era, RE is just big as shit and easy to point to.

The game is amazing and anyone saying the contrary or trying to claim it's impact was due to luck is probably too young to have been there or simply isn't familiar with the game.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I think you've done more knife work than me to save that one bullet, I tried once when I was younger then gave up entirely. Except for in one game. In Code Veronica they're OP, because they hit multiple times per swing if you aim down. It's more like a knife machine gun
Hahaha, that's so true. I've described it in exactly the same way in the past, a blade machine gun. Using it against the dogs is sweet revenge for all the trouble they give you in any other RE game.

Mostly everything that becomes very successful happens to be in the right place at the right time. The alternative is getting rediscovered past your prime (or even posthumously) and getting turned into a classic thanks to a certain new zeitgeist (Star Wars and LOTR, for example, have become a much bigger deal with time). But this is unlikely in such a tech-based medium as video games, where an old game can at best become a cult classic that very few people will care enough about to rediscover it even 5 years down the line. It's the reason remasters and remakes are trendy now, you can sell an old product to a new audience without having to reinvent the wheel. Better tech and modern QoL features can do wonders in making old games more palatable today.

3D FMV was probably one of the lesser reasons people got interested in RE. There was very little of it in RE1 anyway. The game's graphics were stunning enough in the day, and the game was simply that good to gather enough interest and pave the way for the sequel that would really make RE a hit.
RE1 was a very good example of modernizing older concepts. It took Alone in the Dark and even older templates (Sweet Home), gave them the best coat of paint available at the time, made them much more playable and accessible, and set them in a cool scenario. The brilliance of RE is that while it wasn't a new concept, it had a setting that resonated much more with the western console audience than any of its predecessors. No Japanese ghosts or gothic 19th-century mansions, RE had a special services squad with motherfucking guns, zombies and bioweapons. It had the right blend of exploration, (simple) puzzle and combat, some perfectly timed and executed jump scares, and a top-notch atmosphere.
Silent Hill probably came a year or two later than it was good for it, but most of all, it was a much harder sell. The clunky combat, the obscure puzzles and the confusing maps were so different from what made RE a success. It was much better than RE in some respects, especially when RE started losing steam after RE2, but its gameplay could never spark the same interest. RE was spectacular, cool and simple, exactly what the PlayStation was all about. Of course coming out in 1996 helped it get a foot in the door, but it's also true that no imitator got the formula exactly right during that generation, even if they had a good 5 years after RE released to steal its thunder.

Neff

RE1 wasn't unique at all

lPcYt7.gif

Capcom putting mannequins in RE8 in order to laugh at Konami's misfortunes with Silent Hills being axed, almost made me wanna rage quit the franchise. For a start, it's silly ass supernatural bullshit that doesn't belong in RE anyway. Yes, I know that it's the mould or Miranda caused it, or whatever.

It's a knock-off as well, and I figured they were trying desperately to recapture what P.T. provided to gamers. Because it's easy to copy trends and then pass it off as being your own ideas, when they're no such thing.

Speaking of which, Capcom has been copying other games for a long time, so expect that to continue with future RE games.

Just look at this video.

Neff

Accusing RE of stealing from Silent Hill and Gears of War is some next level meta-meta irony, I'll give you that.

I find questionable to give the player no way to kill a boss if I run out of ammo (I was expecting a kind of ammo replenishment during the fight. I also look for environmental hazard that could damage the boss but no...)

That's what the knife is for, if far from optimal. If you get desperate, it's serviceable in every situation so that you never get stuck even if you ruin your inventory.

Last edited:
But that's basically what they did.

Even Resident Evil: Revelations 2 was copying The Last of Us, and RE7 copied the dinner table scene from The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Among other things, of course.

DelireMan7

That's what the knife is for, if far from optimal. If you get desperate, it's serviceable in every situation so that you never get stuck even if you ruin your inventory.
I get that but in this case it should have a dedicated spot in the inventory (like the lighter). Like that you can have it all the time.

Inventory spaces are precious in RE game and I can't afford to sacrifice one for not practical item I just need "in case".
Anyway now it's fine. Like every other RE so far, the game is fair and well thought : healing items and ammos are found when you need them. It's something I really appreciate in these games. You feel the tension of saving your supply but at the same time you hardly found yourself in desperate situation with no ammo or health (at least for me). Actually aside from this centipede battle, I never was in such situation before. And it's mostly due to the 2 inventories to manage and that you have to split you ammos etc...

So made great progress :
I did the laboratory and factory.
The Bat was a hard battle. The small bat coming, completely messing up your lock was annoying xD.
The laboratory was tedious with all the inventory management I had to do (when one character is upstair and the other below, you have to you the "item elevator" to send item between each character...).

I am now in the water treatment plant (or something like that), I reunite with Billy and I guess near the end of the game.
Overall I like the game, it's basically more of the classic RE formula which I like. Story is bad and dialogue quite cringe but it doesn't matter much to me.
The 2 inventories is a nice idea (sometimes it's annoying to exchange items between them but overall I like it) and I like the fact you can leave item on the ground. With time I wished there was some item box because several time I had to backtrack a bit to get back an item (looking at you Hookshot)... But in the end it's always quite quick to do so...

I love the fact we revisit, a bit, the factory of RE2. I imagine people getting excited on release of RE0 and REmake when they saw these parts of RE2 remade.

So I am pretty excited to finish Zero and get into REmake 2. I just ordered it :)

RE2 was a pretty disappointing remake, but as a game in general, it's really good. RE3 however, just flat out sucks.

It's a complete waste of money. Very linear gameplay with hardly any buildings to explore. I think there's only a few shops you enter to get to some back alleys. Other than that, you know where to go as these games nowadays have a little cursor with a timer that counts down to zero as you get nearer. No effort required.

One of the biggest ball kickers was leaving out Barry in the ending. Since when was his important cameo in the ending not canon? Never, Crapcom. At least do your research so your modern day developers actually know the ins and outs of the original storyline. Not to mention the way Nemesis transforms way too soon into a stalking jelly blob. My God. Talk about just a shitty remake, and a middle finger to one of the best PS1 era horror games ever made.

DelireMan7

RE2 was a pretty disappointing remake, but as a game in general, it's really good. RE3 however, just flat out sucks.

It's a complete waste of money. Very linear gameplay with hardly any buildings to explore. I think there's only a few shops you enter to get to some back alleys. Other than that, you know where to go as these games nowadays have a little cursor with a timer that counts down to zero as you get nearer. No effort required.

One of the biggest ball kickers was leaving out Barry in the ending. Since when was his important cameo in the ending not canon? Never, Crapcom. At least do your research so your modern day developers actually know the ins and outs of the original storyline. Not to mention the way Nemesis transforms way too soon into a stalking jelly blob. My God. Talk about just a shitty remake, and a middle finger to one of the best PS1 era horror games ever made.

Really curious to play the remakes. General opinion seem to be that REmake 2 is good (very good for some) and REmake 3 is disappointing.

Isn't the Barry cameo an optional one ? Since the game has different endings, you are not necessarily seeing it (I haven't). But I am, obviously, not an expert in RE's lore and story.

Jumping topic : REmake 4 !

I didn't check a lot about the it but I think visually it looks incredible. RE4 is one of this game that always intrigued me but never play it.
OG looks really good and the remake seems to look good and "faithful". So I question if it makes sense for me to play the OG and then the remake.

For 2 and 3, it's obvious that the OG and Remake are different so it made sense to play both. But with 4, I am more thinking to go directly with the Remake (since ,roughly speaking, "it's the same game but with better visuals"). It's a bit like the RE1/REmake situation for me (but that might be an heresy for the purist maybe).

So Resident Experts, what do you think ? Is there already information about how faithful it will be ? I am more speaking about removal/addition of game sections/level than small change in game's mechanic.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Really curious to play the remakes. General opinion seem to be that REmake 2 is good (very good for some) and REmake 3 is disappointing.

Isn't the Barry cameo an optional one ? Since the game has different endings, you are not necessarily seeing it (I haven't). But I am, obviously, not an expert in RE's lore and story.

I didn't check a lot about the it but I think visually it looks incredible. RE4 is one of this game that always intrigued me but never play it.
OG looks really good and the remake seems to look good and "faithful". So I question if it makes sense for me to play the OG and then the remake.

For 2 and 3, it's obvious that the OG and Remake are different so it made sense to play both. But with 4, I am more thinking to go directly with the Remake (since ,roughly speaking, "it's the same game but with better visuals"). It's a bit like the RE1/REmake situation for me (but that might be an heresy for the purist maybe).

So Resident Experts, what do you think ? Is there already information about how faithful it will be ? I am more speaking about removal/addition of game sections/level than small change in game's mechanic.
Remake 2 is flat out fantastic. If people have issues with it and prefer the OG, they can play the OG. I love both and there's room to have both of them exist.

3make is way too straight forward and too much content was cut, it's also short because it's so straight forward. However, the gameplay is top notch and the game is designed for multiple playthroughs, it has a great NG+ mechanic. Absolutely worth playing but the cut content does sting.

Soodanim

I still don't regret the money I spent on 3R, but I know that it could (and should) have been so much more. If I wasn't such a big fan of the original, I wouldn't be half as fussed about it.

I think OG 4 is worth playing before the remake, regardless of how that turns out, because it's such a unique game with its own humour/tone and atmosphere. 4R will undoubtedly drop some of that, because despite its faithfulness it will change some things and definitely has a different tone.
I get that but in this case it should have a dedicated spot in the inventory (like the lighter). Like that you can have it all the time.

Inventory spaces are precious in RE game and I can't afford to sacrifice one for not practical item I just need "in case".
Anyway now it's fine. Like every other RE so far, the game is fair and well thought : healing items and ammos are found when you need them. It's something I really appreciate in these games. You feel the tension of saving your supply but at the same time you hardly found yourself in desperate situation with no ammo or health (at least for me). Actually aside from this centipede battle, I never was in such situation before. And it's mostly due to the 2 inventories to manage and that you have to split you ammos etc...

So made great progress :
I did the laboratory and factory.
The Bat was a hard battle. The small bat coming, completely messing up your lock was annoying xD.
The laboratory was tedious with all the inventory management I had to do (when one character is upstair and the other below, you have to you the "item elevator" to send item between each character...).

I am now in the water treatment plant (or something like that), I reunite with Billy and I guess near the end of the game.
Overall I like the game, it's basically more of the classic RE formula which I like. Story is bad and dialogue quite cringe but it doesn't matter much to me.
The 2 inventories is a nice idea (sometimes it's annoying to exchange items between them but overall I like it) and I like the fact you can leave item on the ground. With time I wished there was some item box because several time I had to backtrack a bit to get back an item (looking at you Hookshot)... But in the end it's always quite quick to do so...

I love the fact we revisit, a bit, the factory of RE2. I imagine people getting excited on release of RE0 and REmake when they saw these parts of RE2 remade.

So I am pretty excited to finish Zero and get into REmake 2. I just ordered it :)
The Bat is such a strange boss. I've had fights where it went down in seconds without me needing to heal once, and other fights where it drained me of resources because I couldn't seem to hit it and it hit me a lot. How did the run back for the Hookshot hit you? Hopefully you took it to the lobby (did I warn you about that? I hope I did) so shaved off a couple rooms from the backtrack.

That small visit to the factory is why I said to play 2 before 0. It wouldn't have meant anything if you went in blind, same with Wesker/Birkin showing up in cutscenes. I loved seeing the lab in 0, even if only for a short time. The overlap of the areas is always an element of the Raccoon City games that I loved.

There is another visit to the RE2 lab, but it's in a game you probably won't play at this point: Resident Evil: Outbreak. It takes place at the beginning of the Raccoon City outbreak, so between 0 and 2. The lab is frozen, and you work your way from the exit/ending tunnel up through the labs, ending with a boss battle at the top of the shipping yard. You hit a lot of familiar places, but also some new ones. RE2 has B1-5 and the escape tunnel, and BFP has B4-8, with 8 being the escape tunnel in 2. There's a million playthrough videos on YouTube if you ever feel like speeding through one to see what's familiar and new.

kunonabi

As someone who doesn't care for RE4 I find the remake to be looking too faithful for my tastes. What made Remake 2 work for me was how much it improved on some of the originals weak points. It didn't fix all of them and some things were worse, but the 4 remake seems to be too afraid to do much. It's going for darker look and aiming to be less "offensive" but all the hokey gamey nonsense is still on full display so it feels like a clash of identity to me.

Yeah. I don't get why they're not changing too much about RE4, yet 2 and 3 were so differently developed. Maybe they just gathered that RE4 in most gaming polls is the title held with the highest of regards. Ruining it would therefore be like cutting off their own heads.

A nod to Shinji there. :p

DelireMan7

And so Resident Evil Zero is done. I find that the treatment plant drag a bit too much the game. A lot of backtracking just to get a working battery.

Like said before overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. Story and dialog are over cringy but gameplay is more classic RE so it's fine with me. But I put it definitely below RE 1 and 2. Objectively RE 3 is also better but I really enjoy the more classic gameplay of Zero.

Boss fight with 2 characters are a bit tedious but the dual character system was an interesting idea.

I ended up liking Billy. But I am not sure is featured in another RE game (at least in the main line). I don't really like Rebecca. Too naive and fragile to be taken seriously.
I think OG 4 is worth playing before the remake, regardless of how that turns out, because it's such a unique game with its own humour/tone and atmosphere. 4R will undoubtedly drop some of that, because despite its faithfulness it will change some things and definitely has a different tone.

Actually I looked some gameplay of both and I really like the aesthetic of the OG and it looks different enough from the remake . I might play both :)
The Bat is such a strange boss. I've had fights where it went down in seconds without me needing to heal once, and other fights where it drained me of resources because I couldn't seem to hit it and it hit me a lot. How did the run back for the Hookshot hit you? Hopefully you took it to the lobby (did I warn you about that? I hope I did) so shaved off a couple rooms from the backtrack.
The Bat definitely was the boss that took me the most tries.

Yes the hookshot... I was like "Are you fucking serious ?!" It from there that I was regretting the absence of item box xD. I had to go back to the very beginning. But in the end it took only few minutes. But still annoying. And it takes 2 inventory spaces...

Soodanim

I want Billy to show up again as a person who finds himself in a situation, but he has a different name and covers his tattoo. It's only later in the game that his sleeve gets ripped and you get a hint that it's him. Rebecca turns up of course, but that means this has to be a CGI movie because she isn't getting a role in a game again.

Delire, did you know that if you search Wesker's desk in 2 50 times, you find a roll of film that when developed is a picture of Rebecca in a basketball outfit?

Last edited:
There's a lot of characters besides Billy that need to make a return, but it's just getting Capcom to shift their arses to make it happen.

It sure looks bleak for Jill Valentine, Rebecca Chambers, and other characters as the years go by. Unless that rumoured Apocalypse game does reunite the main characters, it appears that Capcom has decided to ignore them for some reason. There's so many plot threads lingering throughout the franchise, after all. Not to mention the actual age of some of our heroes.

We mustn't be left waiting forever. They're eventually gonna have to be replaced by new protagonists, which is gradually what's happening now.

DelireMan7

I want Billy to show up again as a person who finds himself in a situation, but he has a different name and covers his tattoo. It's only later in the game that his sleeve gets ripped and you get a hint that it's him. Rebecca turns up of course, but that means this has to be a CGI movie because she isn't getting a role in a game again.

Delire, did you know that if you search Wesker's desk in 2 50 times, you find a roll of film that when developed is a picture of Rebecca in a basketball outfit?
I like your idea for Billy's return :)
What ?! 50 times ?! I like this kind of secrets. RE games look fill of them. Remind me of MGS games.

There's a lot of characters besides Billy that need to make a return, but it's just getting Capcom to shift their arses to make it happen.

It sure looks bleak for Jill Valentine, Rebecca Chambers, and other characters as the years go by. Unless that rumoured Apocalypse game does reunite the main characters, it appears that Capcom has decided to ignore them for some reason. There's so many plot threads lingering throughout the franchise, after all. Not to mention the actual age of some of our heroes.

We mustn't be left waiting forever. They're eventually gonna have to be replaced by new protagonists, which is gradually what's happening now.

Still some games to play but I am baffled that Jill seems to be missing since quite some times in the main games (ok there was REmake 3 but still). I have the feeling she's a fan favorite.

Jill basically began the franchise with Chris, was the main heroine in 3, then a villain for some of 5 because Wesker was controlling her. Then she appeared in two spin offs that predate RE5.

After RE5 though, she didn't return. I was hoping they could do another animated series so characters can come back for low key storylines, provided Capcom isn't interested in bringing them back for full length games. This would help to make them stay in the public eye. It's like what happened in Pokémon.

At this point, I reckon she's retired, unfortunately.

SCB3

Yes and no, counter point being games like Alone in the Dark and Clock Tower, both predate RE and didn't do well in 3D at all, RE's strength was that B Movie feel, that really wasn't in games before, the luck part is considering how bad the VO is, it kinda works for it in 1996, games were not seen as serious back then, games like RE and Silent Hill and the Playstation in general is why we started to get more Adult themed games

Soodanim

I like your idea for Billy's return :)
What ?! 50 times ?! I like this kind of secrets. RE games look fill of them. Remind me of MGS games.
I found a video so you can quickly see without having to sift through a bunch of 2R videos. Take what you will from Wesker having a photo of Rebecca, it's an easter egg so it's not discussed before or after.

Did you unlock Wesker in 0? I can't remember how off the top of my head, but he replaces Billy and has powers. He gets a super speed sprint move and some sort of psychic charged attack that is very powerful once charged. I wish more RE games had this sort of unlockable instead of just weapons, and it makes the old Akuma in RE2 hoax even more painful. Running around throwing Hadoukens at zombies would be so much fun, but for some reason they never did gave it to us.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I found a video so you can quickly see without having to sift through a bunch of 2R videos. Take what you will from Wesker having a photo of Rebecca, it's an easter egg so it's not discussed before or after.

Did you unlock Wesker in 0? I can't remember how off the top of my head, but he replaces Billy and has powers. He gets a super speed sprint move and some sort of psychic charged attack that is very powerful once charged. I wish more RE games had this sort of unlockable instead of just weapons, and it makes the old Akuma in RE2 hoax even more painful. Running around throwing Hadoukens at zombies would be so much fun, but for some reason they never did gave it to us.

[/URL]

Funny easter egg. Imagining Wesker dreaming about Rebecca xD

Yes I unlocked the Wesker mode (and leech hunter). I try quickly both but it's not the quite of mode I like. It's funny for few minutes but there's no interest for me.

Soodanim

Funny easter egg. Imagining Wesker dreaming about Rebecca xD

Yes I unlocked the Wesker mode (and leech hunter). I try quickly both but it's not the quite of mode I like. It's funny for few minutes but there's no interest for me.
That's fair enough. What's next on the LTTP? Or are you waiting to see what you feel like starting?

DelireMan7

That's fair enough. What's next on the LTTP? Or are you waiting to see what you feel like starting?
REmake 2. I ordered a second hand copy, I am waiting it. Should arrive tomorrow or Thursday.

Really excited to play the remakes. First to see how they adapted the OG games (it's crazy to think they remade some 20+ years old game. It fascinates me.). And then because it's been a while since I have played a modern "realistic" game with guns. Last one was probably Last of Us 1 3/4 years ago. I am quite in the mood for that now. I want to advance slowly in the dark with my gun and a lamp.

I'll probably do A and B scenario like I did for the OG.

Then REmake 3 and I think I'll skip Code Veronica. I already played it long long time ago and I liked it but I rewatch some reviews of it and I don't feel like I want to play it again. Let's see my mood after REmake 3.

Then Resident Evil 4 OG and probably Remake after. But I might do another break of the franchise somewhere in between. (I want to replay Hollow Knight at some point before the release of Silksong this year).

Soodanim

REmake 2. I ordered a second hand copy, I am waiting it. Should arrive tomorrow or Thursday.

Really excited to play the remakes. First to see how they adapted the OG games (it's crazy to think they remade some 20+ years old game. It fascinates me.). And then because it's been a while since I have played a modern "realistic" game with guns. Last one was probably Last of Us 1 3/4 years ago. I am quite in the mood for that now. I want to advance slowly in the dark with my gun and a lamp.

I'll probably do A and B scenario like I did for the OG.

Then REmake 3 and I think I'll skip Code Veronica. I already played it long long time ago and I liked it but I rewatch some reviews of it and I don't feel like I want to play it again. Let's see my mood after REmake 3.

Then Resident Evil 4 OG and probably Remake after. But I might do another break of the franchise somewhere in between. (I want to replay Hollow Knight at some point before the release of Silksong this year).
Yeah that's a solid line up, you can't go wrong there.

The A/B thing in 2R isn't quite as much of a pronounced difference as it could have been. B wasn't planned for but instead a later addition after a bit of backlash (so I'm told). It's more a remixed RPD with some other changes, but each story essentially functions well enough on its own as a single scenario. Still worth a play to see the changes IMO, but it's not like they took the original's and expanded the concept further.

Last edited:
Looks like the new animated film is going to serve as a sequel to 2017's Vendetta, which must mean the main villain is the daughter of the monster that was killed at the end of the last film.

However, Jill's appearance is clearly based on the 2020 remake of RE3. Hopefully we will see her in the present and not just through flashbacks.

Soodanim

Looks like the new animated film is going to serve as a sequel to 2017's Vendetta, which must mean the main villain is the daughter of the monster that was killed at the end of the last film.

However, Jill's appearance is clearly based on the 2020 remake of RE3. Hopefully we will see her in the present and not just through flashbacks.
Okay now do whatever you did again but with a remake of 3R that has a full story and Mercenaries mode

My Android set top box decided to be a misbehaving little bitch and reboot in the middle of my composing a post, but anyway, I'll condense my wordings.

Chris, Leon, and Jill are the returning heroes.

Alcatraz is the main setting. San Francisco is also featured.

Jill's back, but she has that shitty RE3 remake design, when this film must take place in the year 2014 or something.

Maria may be a returning villain, as she was last seen looking at her father's mask in the prior animated film, called Vendetta. Not the Netflix series, Infinite Darkness.

A coffee cup is seen, briefly. It appears Rebecca is returning too. She enjoys drinking her coffee at the university. :)

DelireMan7

This makes me discover the CG films. Seems they are canon with the games.

I like the idea. I might include them in my run through the franchise. Looks like the first one take place after RE4.

Edit : I keep seeing complaints about Jill's design in remake. What's wrong with it ? I find her gorgeous. Love the style.

Last edited:
I think Degeneration takes place in 2007. Not sure about the others, but Vendetta is probably set in 2013. RE6 was set in 2012, so it's probably taken place not long afterwards.

OK. She could be worse. But come on. Jill Voth, forever. :D

Soodanim

Personally I like the character designs in 3R. They changed the skirt to shorts, but I really couldn't care less.

I agree with the REmake Jill being good, but it could definitely be worse. I'm not a fan of how Jill looked in 5 at all, it might as well have been someone new.

DelireMan7

Sorry. I meant Julia Voth! :p

Personally I like the character designs in 3R. They changed the skirt to shorts, but I really couldn't care less.

I agree with the REmake Jill being good, but it could definitely be worse. I'm not a fan of how Jill looked in 5 at all, it might as well have been someone new.
Had to google Julia Voth xD. Yes definitely Jill in REmake is top notch. Love her face and outfit.

I get the OG RE3 design is iconic for longtime fan but I found the more grounded REmake 3 better (similar for me for Tomb Raider. I loved the OG design but I find the new one perfect).
So yeah for Jill I'll go : REmake > REmake 3 > OG RE3

kunonabi

This makes me discover the CG films. Seems they are canon with the games.

I like the idea. I might include them in my run through the franchise. Looks like the first one take place after RE4.

Edit : I keep seeing complaints about Jill's design in remake. What's wrong with it ? I find her gorgeous. Love the style.

Not a fan of the face or the super generic outfit myself but the real problem is her shitty new characterization. Of course, Capcom has continually screwed that up in like every game after RE3 so that's not really a new thing.

Last edited:
People feel the same way about Ada's voice actress, Sally Cahill. They're missing her loads. Although I didn't think her replacement was bad in the Chronicles games, and whoever voiced her in RE6. Courtenay Taylor, I believe. I just think they changed the characters too much facially.

Chris in RE7 just doesn't look right whatsoever, giving that Roger Craig Smith had become the regular Chris for many an installment. Leon in the remakes looks nothing like Leon from the original RE2, as he had ginger hair back then, and he looks just as young in the RE4 reimagining as he does in the RE2 remake, to be honest.

Jill sort of looks like Abby Anderson from The Last of Us Part II. And I did see concept art of Wesker, which looked a bit on the meh side. But it is what it is...

kunonabi

People feel the same way about Ada's voice actress, Sally Cahill. They're missing her loads. Although I didn't think her replacement was bad in the Chronicles games, and whoever voiced her in RE6. Courtenay Taylor, I believe. I just think they changed the characters too much facially.

Chris in RE7 just doesn't look right whatsoever, giving that Roger Craig Smith had become the regular Chris for many an installment. Leon in the remakes looks nothing like Leon from the original RE2, as he had ginger hair back then, and he looks just as young in the RE4 reimagining as he does in the RE2 remake, to be honest.

Jill sort of looks like Abby Anderson from The Last of Us Part II. And I did see concept art of Wesker, which looked a bit on the meh side. But it is what it is...
Classic Ada voice is great but yeah most of the replacements have been fine. My issue with her in the Remake was them completely changing her dynamic with Leon. Leon ends up a far less engaging character because of it.

I really don't know what they were thinking with RE7.

RE1 is still the best. Couldn't read, do math, or touch type but he got the job done.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

So I received REmake 2 and started it.

God it's a blast to play this after the OG. I guess longtime fan must have go nuts when playing it. Revisiting the locations with modern graphics is amazing.

Loved the "prologue" in the gas station.

Really like the gameplay so far. I am completely shit for headshotting zombie. Their erratic movements make it really difficult for me.

I maybe did a mistake by choosing Hardcore. It's quite unforgiving. But the standard mode didn't have ink ribbon... I wanted the OG save system but not necessarily the harder enemies.
On that it's a bit weird to score multiple headshots and the zombie don't die immediately.

I have 2 medallions and I have the detonator (with battery) for the third one.

So far really impressed by this version. Can't stop to be amazed by how good it feels to revisiting a 20 years old game remade.

Top Bottom