• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Resident Evil franchise

kunonabi

God it's a blast to play this after the OG. I guess longtime fan must have go nuts when playing it. Revisiting the locations with modern graphics is amazing.

Loved the "prologue" in the gas station.

Really like the gameplay so far. I am completely shit for headshotting zombie. Their erratic movements make it really difficult for me.

I maybe did a mistake by choosing Hardcore. It's quite unforgiving. But the standard mode didn't have ink ribbon... I wanted the OG save system but not necessarily the harder enemies.
On that it's a bit weird to score multiple headshots and the zombie don't die immediately.

I have 2 medallions and I have the detonator (with battery) for the third one.

So far really impressed by this version. Can't stop to be amazed by how good it feels to revisiting a 20 years old game remade.

Headshots are sort of eh. I usually just pop a shot or two into a leg and run if needed.

DelireMan7

Headshots are sort of eh. I usually just pop a shot or two into a leg and run if needed.
I tried on the first zombie (which killed me) but didn't work. Maybe I shot to high or maybe I just shot once. I'll try again.

The Lickers are so tough ! The first one really gave me trouble. And I tried quickly, before going to bed, to get the last medallion (with the detonator) and there is another one there... Let's see how it's going.

Enemies in Hardcore are no joke. Maybe too much. I honestly have some doubts I can beat the game like that. I use my last save ribbon xD But at least it gives me a real survival feeling. I think carefully about my ammo and how to avoid enemies.

I wish there was a "Standard, Classic" mode with normal difficulty but classic save system. The save system with ribbon really contributes to the tension. If I can save whenever I want (and in addition the game auto save), it removes the fear of dying which is for me on of the core element of the classic RE.

Also I had one silly moment that kind of broke the tension. When I first enter in the Library, I got scared jump by the collapsing floor and ran to the door to reach the main hall. Then I realized zombies can't enter the main hall... So there were 3 zombies at the door so I couldn't enter the library till I kill them... So here was 5 min of "open the door, shoot few ammo in the heads (and miss a lot), door close itself, open the door..." while the zombies were block by an invisible wall...

kunonabi

I tried on the first zombie (which killed me) but didn't work. Maybe I shot to high or maybe I just shot once. I'll try again.

The Lickers are so tough ! The first one really gave me trouble. And I tried quickly, before going to bed, to get the last medallion (with the detonator) and there is another one there... Let's see how it's going.

Enemies in Hardcore are no joke. Maybe too much. I honestly have some doubts I can beat the game like that. I use my last save ribbon xD But at least it gives me a real survival feeling. I think carefully about my ammo and how to avoid enemies.

I wish there was a "Standard, Classic" mode with normal difficulty but classic save system. The save system with ribbon really contributes to the tension. If I can save whenever I want (and in addition the game auto save), it removes the fear of dying which is for me on of the core element of the classic RE.

Also I had one silly moment that kind of broke the tension. When I first enter in the Library, I got scared jump by the collapsing floor and ran to the door to reach the main hall. Then I realized zombies can't enter the main hall... So there were 3 zombies at the door so I couldn't enter the library till I kill them... So here was 5 min of "open the door, shoot few ammo in the heads (and miss a lot), door close itself, open the door..." while the zombies were block by an invisible wall...
If you managed the old games you'll be fine once you get acclimated. The leg shot has a specific animation tied to it so just fire away even if it takes 3 or 4 shots. You'll get more than enough ammo since there isn't much else to use the handgun on.

DelireMan7

If you managed the old games you'll be fine once you get acclimated. The leg shot has a specific animation tied to it so just fire away even if it takes 3 or 4 shots. You'll get more than enough ammo since there isn't much else to use the handgun on.
Roger that !

Forgot to mention that I loved how they played the OG players' feeling on the first Licker encounter. I was so carefully in this corridor, constantly starring at the ceiling. They even putted a cable hanging just to add to the tension. Then the mutilated corpse, with one attached to the ceiling... I was like "where is it ? When will it jump at me ?" but nothing...
But then when the actual first licker appeared it killed me instantly without me seeing it. Even so I knew it was there because you see something catching from afar a zombie (in front the STARS office). I was like "this must be a licker" but somehow didn't check the ceiling...

Soodanim

I thought this might happen, Hardcore is not your average "Hard" difficulty. It's more like it jumps from Normal to Extreme, and you're right that there feels like there should be something in between. I started on Standard then hit Hardcore when I was ready, because it's less about a first experience and more about a challenge because of the near-constant danger. That's not to say that it's impossible, but it's definitely diving in the deep end where sink and swim are both possible.

Leg stuns are the way to go for non-kill avoidance because of the severe ammo dump each enemy is, but you have to learn the animation for it to work and there's still only a certain window of opportunity. When I first started I defaulted to head shots (like most would) but it's so much less reliable this time round, and because of the leg stun it's in some ways less effective. On Hardcore it's basically mandatory.

I didn't realise zombies can't leave the library, I could have sworn zombies had free reign except for save rooms! Maybe I'm mixing some things up.

DelireMan7

I thought this might happen, Hardcore is not your average "Hard" difficulty. It's more like it jumps from Normal to Extreme, and you're right that there feels like there should be something in between. I started on Standard then hit Hardcore when I was ready, because it's less about a first experience and more about a challenge because of the near-constant danger. That's not to say that it's impossible, but it's definitely diving in the deep end where sink and swim are both possible.

Leg stuns are the way to go for non-kill avoidance because of the severe ammo dump each enemy is, but you have to learn the animation for it to work and there's still only a certain window of opportunity. When I first started I defaulted to head shots (like most would) but it's so much less reliable this time round, and because of the leg stun it's in some ways less effective. On Hardcore it's basically mandatory.

I didn't realise zombies can't leave the library, I could have sworn zombies had free reign except for save rooms! Maybe I'm mixing some things up.
This my feeling for the difficulty option. It's like either Normal or Extreme (probably why they called it Hardcore and not Hard).

I'll test this leg stun then.

For the Zombies not entering the main hall, it makes sense since it's a save room. But it was a bit silly.

Can't wait to continue

Soodanim

Can't wait to continue
Me neither, I'm genuinely curious to know what you think of things that I won't even give the slightest hints about because the game is best just experienced for yourself -- especially for people that played OG 2.

Also, Lickers are mean this time round. They did not fuck around with those. Zombies don't fuck around either, so it makes sense for everything to get an upgrade.

Last edited:
Yes and no, counter point being games like Alone in the Dark and Clock Tower, both predate RE and didn't do well in 3D at all, RE's strength was that B Movie feel, that really wasn't in games before, the luck part is considering how bad the VO is, it kinda works for it in 1996, games were not seen as serious back then, games like RE and Silent Hill and the Playstation in general is why we started to get more Adult themed games

Alone in the Dark was a multi-million selling franchise. Not sure what you're talking about.

Clock Tower is a different game, and released outside of Japan in 1997, not 1996.

Also we were already getting adult games before RE and SH, the later came out in 1999.

Your whole post is wrong.

lPcYt7.gif

Literally took pieces from other games, it was a derivative action game with the overused Room to room camera with the only difference being funny bad VA and it's release timing on the PS1.

3D FMV was probably one of the lesser reasons people got interested in RE.

Literally one of the focuses of prerelease coverage and reviews, and initiated the idea for the movies.

The game's graphics were stunning enough in the day,
No they were not, many games in 1996, and several in 95 looked much better then RE1.

The whole shebang about RE1 was it being an early console 3D game on the PS1 and became an early mainstream hit. It was a game that relied on prerendered backgrounds at certain angles for it's 'graphics' and was incredibly limited in gameplay compared to peers because of PS1 limitations, but for the PS1 this was overlooked because of it's early release and early owners didn't likely have a PC too as both markets were still mostly divided outside games like DOOM.

Your comment about its gameplay is odd, there were many games using the same format as RE1 and Alone in Dark that were way ahead of both. Even Alone in the dark was becoming faster paced, more action based, and more accessible as a response, but it was on a platform with better competition. The PC.

In comparison, RE1 was practically alone on PS1, released early right when the console was becoming mainstream, and Capcom and Sony put the game out there so people knew about the game who were buying a PS1, whether they wanted the game or not. This was when the install base of the PS1 was still not too big.

That's most of the reason why RE1 was popular. Its precisely why RE2 peaked the franchise at the time and why it was losing relevance after. That format was something games were already moving away from, but RE1 released early on what would become the biggest console ever, very early as the only real release in that format.

Neff

Literally took pieces from other games, it was a derivative action game with the overused Room to room camera with the only difference being funny bad VA and it's release timing on the PS1.

If you ignore the fact that it was the first mainstream horror title and that it created a genre, then sure.

Soodanim

H Henry Panic you can click +Quote and it will add messages to a list, then you can click "Insert quotes" by the reply box and it will insert them all for you. That way you can reply to everything in one message instead of triple posting.

If you ignore the fact that it was the first mainstream horror title and that it created a genre, then sure.

Alone in the Dark was mainstream.

It's literally how RE ended up looking and playing the way it did because they couldn't make it in FP because of PS1 limitations. Development was in trouble until the staff saw Alone in the dark. Alone even had more immitators because RE1 was a late game using that format and games were moving away from it by being full TP or removing the static camera angles and having the camera move instead.

It didn't create any genre, just fans who got into the series during the PS1 made the fake genre stick. Then it was retroactively applied to games that already did the same just like Metroidvania, which has even less consistency in application.

Again, this is an ignorant argument, likely you're experience with gaming was limited or you grew up with a PS1.

Nothing I said is invalid, it's popularity was based on being an early 3D game release on the PS1, with big ads, FMV, funny VA, and was a derivative from a bunch of games already like it. But it was the first on the PS1 in that format. Which would explode in popularity along with Crash, TR, and co.

That's literally it.

Not saying the game is bad btw, but it was exhausting to someone who played games across both sides of the industry like me, seeing ANOTHER game in that format. But for many the PS1 introduced it for the first time, and those are the people where the history inaccuracies mostly comes from.

Last edited:

Neff

Alone on the Dark was mainstream.

It was a relative success in the PC and niche markets, and sold 600k over five years. Resident Evil completely eclipsed it in terms of exposure and sales, selling 4 million units in a year. In 1996, all anyone wanted to talk about was Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and Super Mario 64.

Nobody doubts RE's debt to AitD, it's no secret. But RE deserves credit for exponentially improving the experience by a Herculean factor and defining precise, Survival Horror gameplay which spawned more imitators than AitD did. There's something to be said for it being in the right place at the right time, since it had no real competitors, but to attribute its success solely to that is hugely ignorant. It was a damn good game and launched an IP which is still a household name for a reason.

Again, this is an ignorant argument, likely you're experience with gaming was limited or you grew up with a PS1.

I was a working, PS1/Saturn/N64-owning adult when RE1 debuted. Do you have any more assumptions you'd like to prop up your headcanon with?

Comparing Resident Evil numbers to Alone in the Dark doesn't work because PC games sold differently. Games would sell more as PCs became more acessible year after year and the entry-level specifications increased. Everyone knew about AitD but they couldn't "get" the game until 3, 5, 6 years later where the sales eventually reached near 3 million.

Meanwhile on Playstation Frogger was a much bigger success in sales and accessibility then Resident Evil (In NA) but no one would believe that unless you show them data because while it was talked about back then, it wasn't talked about nearly as much as RE, and by RE3, Frogger was already mostly one from the public consciousness despite having a sequel.

These types of mindshare vs. sales debates are already a hard sell, but when you talk about computers vs. consoles before Xbox it almost impossible to sell. That type of comparison only works between direct competitors competing on a similar playing field.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Sorry I skip the debate.:)

So... Hardcore is really not for me. Did the Birkin fight. Took me several tries an all healing item and ammo (he died my very last bullet).

I met Ada. That was a cool scene. But the game just gave me 1 ink ribbon at a time... It's painful. I had to do long segments without saving. Ended up running in the underground to get the electronic part, one of the key and put the generator back to unlock the door to go back in the station. I found the break room with a typewriter! But NO INK RIBBON ?! Are you serious?

Long story short : after several attempts I found Mr X and I don't like him (normal zombie are already too oppressive for me xD). I found 2 ink ribbons so after my last save I have 1 (which is a lot), know how to get the Magnum and I have to get the part to fix the Jack (I found it on a suicide run).

Hope I can finish on Hardcore, not sure I want to restart now in normal. Claire's run will be on normal for sure.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It was a relative success in the PC and niche markets, and sold 600k over five years. Resident Evil completely eclipsed it in terms of exposure and sales, selling 4 million units in a year. In 1996, all anyone wanted to talk about was Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and Super Mario 64.

Nobody doubts RE's debt to AitD, it's no secret. But RE deserves credit for exponentially improving the experience by a Herculean factor and defining precise, Survival Horror gameplay which spawned more imitators than AitD did. There's something to be said for it being in the right place at the right time, since it had no real competitors, but to attribute its success solely to that is hugely ignorant. It was a damn good game and launched an IP which is still a household name for a reason.

I was a working, PS1/Saturn/N64-owning adult when RE1 debuted. Do you have any more assumptions you'd like to prop up your headcanon with?
I cannot wrap my head around the idea of coming into a LTTP thread for the RE series and arguing straight faced that RE was successful due to "luck" and FMV. It's just so immeasurably dumb. More dumb than my brain can even handle.

What Omg GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sorry I skip the debate.:)

So... Hardcore is really not for me. Did the Birkin fight. Took me several tries an all healing item and ammo (he died my very last bullet).

I met Ada. That was a cool scene. But the game just gave me 1 ink ribbon at a time... It's painful. I had to do long segments without saving. Ended up running in the underground to get the electronic part, one of the key and put the generator back to unlock the door to go back in the station. I found the break room with a typewriter! But NO INK RIBBON ?! Are you serious?

Long story short : after several attempts I found Mr X and I don't like him (normal zombie are already too oppressive for me xD). I found 2 ink ribbons so after my last save I have 1 (which is a lot), know how to get the Magnum and I have to get the part to fix the Jack (I found it on a suicide run).

Hope I can finish on Hardcore, not sure I want to restart now in normal. Claire's run will be on normal for sure.
Yea dude, just do standard and have a damn good time with it, there's enough challenge to keep you on your toes your first time through. I haven't even tried hardcore yet, maybe someday but it's quite brutal from what I hear. Same with Madhouse mode in RE7, that's in my backlog too.

edit- misread your post, if you stick with Hardcore and finish it your first time through, I'll venmo you $10. Bookmark this post.

Last edited:
I do believe that if Resident Evil released in 97 it wouldn't have been as big. Resident Evil 2 did sell less than Resident Evil 1 in 1998 despite the improvement and excitement in the US, which was the franchises main market, and started a decline not rectified until 4.

Id say that for almost all of Playstations 1996 games really.

DelireMan7

Yea dude, just do standard and have a damn good time with it, there's enough challenge to keep you on your toes your first time through. I haven't even tried hardcore yet, maybe someday but it's quite brutal from what I hear. Same with Madhouse mode in RE7, that's in my backlog too.

edit- misread your post, if you stick with Hardcore and finish it your first time through, I'll venmo you $10. Bookmark this post.
Haha. The 10 bucks are not needed but thanks.

I'll see for a restart. I am 5 hours in so it annoys me to restart now. Even so in Normal and with my knowledge of the game now, I would probably get back here in 2/3 hours but still...

I like challenge in games but this is too much. Really not a lot of ink ribbons (here my experience with the OG games is probably detrimental. Since in the OG we get quite a lot of it. And in the remake, you get also some rather easily at the beginning. Like pack of 2 each time, so I was feeling safe and used them and then in the underground we get them one by one. And then... well good luck finding some xD), regular zombies are extremely tough (I am not even trying to kill them anymore, but just trying to get them down or avoid them is a real pain), lickers are more than deadly...

I did the entire underground section with almost no ammo just running like a mad man. I am already scared when I get the second electronic part and have to go back in the room filled with prison cells with zombies, I am pretty sure I'll have to open them to progress...

Then Mr.X. I just met him and I hate him. I am in general not a fan of stalker in game. Actually I think RE2 and Nemesis were my first experience. In RE2 it was ok since Mr.X encounters were all scripted event and there was few of them. In Nemesis, I liked it less since he's more oppressive.
Here Mr.X just follows you everywhere. I am already annoyed to go back to the library to move the shelves since there is already a zombie there and I guess Mr.X will join the party...

Sorry I am quite negative but my session of yesterday was not really fun. I was just running constantly avoiding everything and hoped to find the good way in suicide runs xD. In a sense Hardcore really put you in Leon's shoes : you feel the danger and horror of being in a building filled with zombies and others nightmare's creatures and you have to escape at all cost knowing one misstep will kill you.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Mr.X in RE2 is awesome. Remember running away from him once into the corridor with lickers.... So here I am, walking slowly so the Lickers come down on me and in the background I hear Mr.X approaching.... Damn, the adrenaline.

DelireMan7

Mr.X in RE2 is awesome. Remember running away from him once into the corridor with lickers.... So here I am, walking slowly so the Lickers come down on me and in the background I hear Mr.X approaching.... Damn, the adrenaline.
I think I had the same experience in this corridor (the one where there is the first licker in the OG ?). Then I went into the small room to get the part of the jack and Mr.X entered... Outside lickers and zombies... Went to sleep after that xD

I definitely a stressful situation. But not so exciting for me... I think I am a bit in the situation of people saying "I don't like Souls game, I play videogame to relax" that I could get behind but never truly understand since I love them... Well now I get it xD

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think I had the same experience in this corridor (the one where there is the first licker in the OG ?). Then I went into the small room to get the part of the jack and Mr.X entered... Outside lickers and zombies... Went to sleep after that xD

I definitely a stressful situation. But not so exciting for me... I think I am a bit in the situation of people saying "I don't like Souls game, I play videogame to relax" that I could get behind but never truly understand since I love them... Well now I get it xD
You know, the funny thing is that I remember a lot of people asking for something like this in the years after the OG RE2. Like how awesome Mr.X was and how sad it is that he doesn't appear more often. Now Capcom actually puts him in more permanent in the Remake and again people complain. I'm a bit puzzled... I mean, yes, he can be annoying sometimes but before and after his appearance you have the chance to check out the police station without him hassling you, so I don't really see what everyone is complaining about... He does exactly what he actually always was supposed to do.

I kinda expected Nemesis to be just like this in the RE3 Remake and was a bit disapointed when all his appearences ended up being scripted. Pretty sure this only happened due to the complaints about Mr.X.... You guys really don't know what you want....

Soodanim

Mr X has always been divisive, but I think Hardcore has taken away any enjoyment you might have had. Normally it's a game of cat and mouse, and you can lose him but if you fire bullets he will eventually be drawn to you. The fade in of the music and footsteps heard in the distance create tension, and sometimes you get the opportunity to hide out of sight so that X leaves the room. He can also be downed, giving you time to take care of business/run.

Truth be told, I think a restart might be worth it. If I get a bit of time I can throw together a a quick guide with puzzle solutions for things you've done so that if you want you can catch up as quickly as possible.

DelireMan7

You know, the funny thing is that I remember a lot of people asking for something like this in the years after the OG RE2. Like how awesome Mr.X was and how sad it is that he doesn't appear more often. Now Capcom actually puts him in more permanent in the Remake and again people complain. I'm a bit puzzled... I mean, yes, he can be annoying sometimes but before and after his appearance you have the chance to check out the police station without him hassling you, so I don't really see what everyone is complaining about... He does exactly what he actually always was supposed to do.

I kinda expected Nemesis to be just like this in the RE3 Remake and was a bit disapointed when all his appearences ended up being scripted. Pretty sure this only happened due to the complaints about Mr.X.... You guys really don't know what you want....
I think it's difficult to find a good balance. I personally don't like the idea of a invincible stalker. I ended up liking it in OG RE2 because Mr.X was intimidating and his encounters scripted (and not so much).
Now it's too stressful for me.

From what you say about REmake 3, I might enjoy more Nemesis in it than in the OG.

Mr X has always been divisive, but I think Hardcore has taken away any enjoyment you might have had. Normally it's a game of cat and mouse, and you can lose him but if you fire bullets he will eventually be drawn to you. The fade in of the music and footsteps heard in the distance create tension, and sometimes you get the opportunity to hide out of sight so that X leaves the room. He can also be downed, giving you time to take care of business/run.

Truth be told, I think a restart might be worth it. If I get a bit of time I can throw together a a quick guide with puzzle solutions for things you've done so that if you want you can catch up as quickly as possible.
To be honest, Mr.X himself never really killed me. Just the fact that he's following me is annoying. Hearing his footsteps is just making me eyeroll and "Him again !" because it means I have to hurry and potentially run into my death because I don't pay attention. I think if he starts showing up while I have to solve some puzzles, he will really piss me off. I am not a really huge fan of the small cat and mouse game where I have to turn back to take another way around. EDIT : I really don't like to be force to runaway. I like to take my time to analyze a situation. I had to run through the whole underground because dogs, zombies, no ammo and I really didn't like this kind of situation.

I'll see for the restart. Now that I have cooled down, I realize my situation is not so bad. I have like 2 mixes of herbs, 1 spare ink ribbon, access to the magnum ("Lighting Hawk" I think) with quite some ammo for it (and it looks very efficient as I tested it and it one headshot was enough to kill a zombie), no so much ammo for Mathilda and shotguns but I have few gunpowders in stock or to grab here and there.
I am somehow really stubborn in gaming and I can try again and again some situations for quite some time (I am the guy who spend 2 hours on the Tree, sentinel at the beginning of Elden Ring, to defeat him fully knowing I should come back later. Also 20h row, in several session, for Malenia refusing to adjust my build because... stubborness).
So I guess I'll try a bit more and see how goes my next session (get the part of the jack, library trip, clock tower I guess then back to the underground to put back the electricity) before deciding for a restart.

Don't want spoilers but I have to ask how far I am from Leon's ending ? Do we visit the lab like in the OG ? I have the hope once I get the card in the prison cell of the journalist, I can escape from the parking but that would be too easy I guess xD

Last edited:

Soodanim

I think it's difficult to find a good balance. I personally don't like the idea of a invincible stalker. I ended up liking it in OG RE2 because Mr.X was intimidating and his encounters scripted (and not so much).
Now it's too stressful for me.

From what you say about REmake 3, I might enjoy more Nemesis in it than in the OG.

To be honest, Mr.X himself never really killed me. Just the fact that he's following me is annoying. Hearing his footsteps is just making me eyeroll and "Him again !" because it means I have to hurry and potentially run into my death because I don't pay attention. I think if he starts showing up while I have to solve some puzzles, he will really piss me off. I am not a really huge fan of the small cat and mouse game where I have to turn back to take another way around. EDIT : I really don't like to be force to runaway. I like to take my time to analyze a situation. I had to run through the whole underground because dogs, zombies, no ammo and I really didn't like this kind of situation.

I'll see for the restart. Now that I have cooled down, I realize my situation is not so bad. I have like 2 mixes of herbs, 1 spare ink ribbon, access to the magnum ("Lighting Hawk" I think) with quite some ammo for it (and it looks very efficient as I tested it and it one headshot was enough to kill a zombie), no so much ammo for Mathilda and shotguns but I have few gunpowders in stock or to grab here and there.
I am somehow really stubborn in gaming and I can try again and again some situations for quite some time (I am the guy who spend 2 hours on the Tree, sentinel at the beginning of Elden Ring, to defeat him fully knowing I should come back later. Also 20h row, in several session, for Malenia refusing to adjust my build because... stubborness).
So I guess I'll try a bit more and see how goes my next session (get the part of the jack, library trip, clock tower I guess then back to the underground to put back the electricity) before deciding for a restart.

Don't want spoilers but I have to ask how far I am from Leon's ending ? Do we visit the lab like in the OG ? I have the hope once I get the card in the prison cell of the journalist, I can escape from the parking but that would be too easy I guess xD
Haha well the offer stands if you want to take it at that point.

The overall structure is similar enough to the original, and it does end with the lab. I'd say you're roughly around half way so far, maybe a little bit less.

kunonabi

The thing about Remake Mr. X is two-fold. At first he's just around too much. Typically, when you manage to down or escape a chaser you get a reprieve so you can get back to doing objectives and making progress. Mr. X just likes to hang out so it makes basic progression a chore. Now, once you figure out more optimal pathing and how to dodge him he barely figures into the game at all outside of just wrecking a good speed run randomly. The Remake Mr. X certainly has his moments but those mostly happen when he gets mixed in with other enemies. With some tweaking Capcom could have had something really special. Which of course they were too lazy to do so they just cut of Nemesis' balls off in the RE3 remake instead resulting in one of the worst chasers ever.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Haha well the offer stands if you want to take it at that point.

The overall structure is similar enough to the original, and it does end with the lab. I'd say you're roughly around half way so far, maybe a little bit less.
Thanks for the offer but I like to do it on my own. And now that I think about it, if I restart I would probably go with Claire. If I'd go directly for Leon again, I would rush it and like I said I like to take time to appreciate the world and analyze situations (also why I don't like chaser like Mr X).

Hum ok for the lab... It's nice to have the full game remade but in my situation not sure it's a good news xD. Well, we'll see on my next session how it goes.

DelireMan7

Also an horrible thought came to my mind.

If I finish Leon's part in hardcore, do I have to use this save (hardcore) for Claire's to get a "full ending" or something ? Or can I just start a new game with Claire from the menu ?

This would highly influence my decision to restart immediately or not xD

Soodanim

Also an horrible thought came to my mind.

If I finish Leon's part in hardcore, do I have to use this save (hardcore) for Claire's to get a "full ending" or something ? Or can I just start a new game with Claire from the menu ?

This would highly influence my decision to restart immediately or not xD
They're not at all connected, and once unlocked you can start a 2nd Scenario (or 1st) on any difficulty from the main menu with no worries or issues, it's a loss less connected in favour of convenience in 2R

fart town usa

Gold Member
Haha. The 10 bucks are not needed but thanks.

I'll see for a restart. I am 5 hours in so it annoys me to restart now. Even so in Normal and with my knowledge of the game now, I would probably get back here in 2/3 hours but still...

I like challenge in games but this is too much. Really not a lot of ink ribbons (here my experience with the OG games is probably detrimental. Since in the OG we get quite a lot of it. And in the remake, you get also some rather easily at the beginning. Like pack of 2 each time, so I was feeling safe and used them and then in the underground we get them one by one. And then... well good luck finding some xD), regular zombies are extremely tough (I am not even trying to kill them anymore, but just trying to get them down or avoid them is a real pain), lickers are more than deadly...

I did the entire underground section with almost no ammo just running like a mad man. I am already scared when I get the second electronic part and have to go back in the room filled with prison cells with zombies, I am pretty sure I'll have to open them to progress...

Then Mr.X. I just met him and I hate him. I am in general not a fan of stalker in game. Actually I think RE2 and Nemesis were my first experience. In RE2 it was ok since Mr.X encounters were all scripted event and there was few of them. In Nemesis, I liked it less since he's more oppressive.
Here Mr.X just follows you everywhere. I am already annoyed to go back to the library to move the shelves since there is already a zombie there and I guess Mr.X will join the party...

Sorry I am quite negative but my session of yesterday was not really fun. I was just running constantly avoiding everything and hoped to find the good way in suicide runs xD. In a sense Hardcore really put you in Leon's shoes : you feel the danger and horror of being in a building filled with zombies and others nightmare's creatures and you have to escape at all cost knowing one misstep will kill you.
Damn. Yea dude, just go for standard difficulty. You'll have a much better experience!

Soodanim

Thinking about it, starting a standard Claire save wouldn't be the worst idea if you hit a wall. You'll be able to pick Leon back up when you're more used to the game after a full Claire playthrough with more experience to make things smoother.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

So I thought about and decided to restart. Hardcore is too challenging. I like challenging game but still have fun. Hardcore is challenging/frustrating not challenging/fun (for me). I would have drop the game if I'd continue like that.

In the end I picked Leon again. It annoyed me to drop in the middle of its story so I want to finish first before doing Claire's.

Standard is much better. Sad about the save system but it's worth the trade with Hardcore. Enemies are still a threat without being extra tough. You also get more supply since Ink ribbon are replaced with ammo/healing. Nonetheless you still need to save ammo and find ways to avoid enemies.

You also get more Hip pouch. It's nice even so I preferred limited space like in Hardcore. Save system and inventory management are the 2 core mechanics that I loved in the OG and kind of defined the Franchise for me.

In a session just below 2h, I almost catch up my first 5h in Hardcore. I did Birkin's fight and the underground section. Now I am back to the main hall. Next time it's interrogation rooms, boiler room and Mr X encounter then I will be at my previous point.

Sorry if someone else in this thread has already mentioned it, but has anyone played RE2make on both PC and Steam Deck? If so, several questions for you!
Quick background: I'm a big fan of RE 1-4 and have played through all of them numerous times, but have never cut my teeth on RE2make. I'm trying to decide whether to play it on PC or Steam Deck.

1. When playing on PC, did you use mouse + keyboard, or did you use a controller?
2. Do you have experience playing with M+KB and controller, and if so, which one did you like better?
3. How did the controls feel on Steam Deck?
4. How was the performance on Steam Deck? Did you have to change any settings due to frame drops, low battery life, etc.?

Soodanim

So I thought about and decided to restart. Hardcore is too challenging. I like challenging game but still have fun. Hardcore is challenging/frustrating not challenging/fun (for me). I would have drop the game if I'd continue like that.

In the end I picked Leon again. It annoyed me to drop in the middle of its story so I want to finish first before doing Claire's.

Standard is much better. Sad about the save system but it's worth the trade with Hardcore. Enemies are still a threat without being extra tough. You also get more supply since Ink ribbon are replaced with ammo/healing. Nonetheless you still need to save ammo and find ways to avoid enemies.

You also get more Hip pouch. It's nice even so I preferred limited space like in Hardcore. Save system and inventory management are the 2 core mechanics that I loved in the OG and kind of defined the Franchise for me.

In a session just below 2h, I almost catch up my first 5h in Hardcore. I did Birkin's fight and the underground section. Now I am back to the main hall. Next time it's interrogation rooms, boiler room and Mr X encounter then I will be at my previous point.
Good for you, I think that's the best choice overalls. No one expects that level of challenge from Hardcore, despite the name. I don't know if you're the type that would like it or would prefer not to look behind the curtain during your first experience, but if you're interested here's a little about how difficulty works in 2R just because I thought of it:

2R uses dynamic difficulty scaling that I believe was introduced in 4. Some actions increase a "score", and some decrease it. That in turn takes you up and down a ladder of difficulty brackets, which affects things like enemy health/damage and amount of bullets found.

I don't remember specifics, but for simplicity's sake let's say there's 15 levels. Easy is locked at somethjng like 0-5, Normal has a huge range from 4-12, and Hardcore is locked somewhere at the top at 12-15.

That dynamic shifting helps create an individual balance. If you play well, you get less resources to keep it being too easy. If you're struggling, the game throws you a bone and helps you stay alive.

Sorry if someone else in this thread has already mentioned it, but has anyone played RE2make on both PC and Steam Deck? If so, several questions for you!
Quick background: I'm a big fan of RE 1-4 and have played through all of them numerous times, but have never cut my teeth on RE2make. I'm trying to decide whether to play it on PC or Steam Deck.

1. When playing on PC, did you use mouse + keyboard, or did you use a controller?
2. Do you have experience playing with M+KB and controller, and if so, which one did you like better?
3. How did the controls feel on Steam Deck?
4. How was the performance on Steam Deck? Did you have to change any settings due to frame drops, low battery life, etc.?
I don't think I ever bothered with mkb on PC more than a couple times, it wasn't something I took to. It's not bad, I just prefer a controller.

I don't have a Steam Deck, but the 40hz mode should make it very easy to find a smooth balance. 2R is great at providing lots of settings so you can tweak, but for quick advice I'd say turn volumetric lighting and shadows down to medium because they don't have great performance:price ratios. The reflection thing is a bit broken, so don't bother with that either.

I would imagine the controls feel great on Deck, you get the best of both worlds thanks to mouse look being an option.

DelireMan7

Good for you, I think that's the best choice overalls. No one expects that level of challenge from Hardcore, despite the name. I don't know if you're the type that would like it or would prefer not to look behind the curtain during your first experience, but if you're interested here's a little about how difficulty works in 2R just because I thought of it:
That's very interesting for the difficulty scaling.

On that regard I found puzzling the Birkin's fight. In Hardcore I had to use all my ammo to beat him. Now in standard it was almost the same despite having more ammo and I guess he should have less health in standard.
Is he made to make you use all your ammo before the underground part ? I ended up in a similar situation, running around with no ammo during the underground part.

kunonabi

On that regard I found puzzling the Birkin's fight. In Hardcore I had to use all my ammo to beat him. Now in standard it was almost the same despite having more ammo and I guess he should have less health in standard.
Is he made to make you use all your ammo before the underground part ? I ended up in a similar situation, running around with no ammo during the underground part.
No, not really. He shouldn't really be taking a crazy amount of ammo to go down.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I do believe that if Resident Evil released in 97 it wouldn't have been as big. Resident Evil 2 did sell less than Resident Evil 1 in 1998 despite the improvement and excitement in the US, which was the franchises main market, and started a decline not rectified until 4.

Id say that for almost all of Playstations 1996 games really.
While you’re not wrong, consider that piracy was rampant on the PS1, especially outside of the US. The lesser overall sales of RE2 may very well be due to widespread piracy. ‘98 was the year PlayStation stopped pretending it had any serious competition. Everyone had one and I personally never knew another PS1 owner with an unmodded console. Video game shops would have it modded for you and when people found out, there were many people who literally never bought an original game. If all the people who played RE2 had legitimately bought it, we’d be seeing very different figures today. Software sales figures for the most easily piratable systems will always be unreliable by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of units. This is possibly why in the last few generations, video games have seen software sales well beyond anything seen before: it‘s much, much more of a hassle to pirate than before, and hefty sales throughout the year make software more accessible to more people.

DelireMan7

So I catched up with my old save. I have said it already but Mr X is just annoying for me. I tried a long time circling into the building to lose him and get me some time to properly explore new rooms but he always come back when approaching them. I have the feeling it's a bit scripted. And as expected was annoying because of him... "Move a shelf, climb the ladder, run downstairs, move a shelf, etc..."

Can't wait to get rid of him. He's just dragging the game.

Soodanim

The eye can be tough to hit when you're constantly being chased, but it's also possible that the scaling was quite high because you knew what you were doing second time round. and I'm guessing you took a lot less damage. It's not unlikely that you had a similar difficulty rating to Hardcore by the time you got there, which would probably explain why it felt similar. When you're finished, look up the speed run strat for that Birkin fight. I used it when I went for 100% completion.
While you’re not wrong, consider that piracy was rampant on the PS1, especially outside of the US. The lesser overall sales of RE2 may very well be due to widespread piracy. ‘98 was the year PlayStation stopped pretending it had any serious competition. Everyone had one and I personally never knew another PS1 owner with an unmodded console. Video game shops would have it modded for you and when people found out, there were many people who literally never bought an original game. If all the people who played RE2 had legitimately bought it, we’d be seeing very different figures today. Software sales figures for the most easily piratable systems will always be unreliable by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of units. This is possibly why in the last few generations, video games have seen software sales well beyond anything seen before: it‘s much, much more of a hassle to pirate than before, and hefty sales throughout the year make software more accessible to more people.
I was too young to be buying my own games and I had no places that sold bootlegs even if I was, but I remember seeing guides in nationally published magazines on how to disk swap and do various things on different models of PS1. I never gave it much thought at the time because it was just normal, but thinking back there seemed to be open defiance of protections put in place.

DelireMan7

it's also possible that the scaling was quite high because you knew what you were doing second time round. and I'm guessing you took a lot less damage. It's not unlikely that you had a similar difficulty rating to Hardcore by the time you got there, which would probably explain why it felt similar. When you're finished,
That's highly possible indeed. I find interesting this scaling difficulty system.

That explained why at the beginning of Hardcore a zombie's bite was putting me directly in Danger and later only in Caution.

I think I had the inverse in normal where a bite was not doing much and now it puts me in Caution.

DelireMan7

So got rid of Mr X (for now) and just started the sewer.
The Kendo weapon shop was outstanding. Really grim dark.

Aside from Mr X, this remake is completely crazy for me. So good !

Soodanim

So got rid of Mr X (for now) and just started the sewer.
The Kendo weapon shop was outstanding. Really grim dark.

Aside from Mr X, this remake is completely crazy for me. So good !
Nice, no regrets restarting then?

Have you noticed any of the Mr Raccoon statues around? There's a file that talks about them, but I don't think the game explicitly tells you to shoot them.

DelireMan7

Nice, no regrets restarting then?

Have you noticed any of the Mr Raccoon statues around? There's a file that talks about them, but I don't think the game explicitly tells you to shoot them.
No regret at all. Hardcore would have make drop the game entirely I am pretty sure.

Yes I saw them and the note. I destroyed 3 of them. But I was not actively looking for them. Will see if I come across other.

Top Bottom