• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Resident Evil franchise

Soodanim

No regret at all. Hardcore would have make drop the game entirely I am pretty sure.

Yes I saw them and the note. I destroyed 3 of them. But I was not actively looking for them. Will see if I come across other.
If you're just playing and moving on I wouldn't worry too much about them, IIRC it unlocks an infinite knife. The total count is across both characters, so you wouldn't be able to get them all as just Leon anyway

DelireMan7

A really small session yesterday. I did the crocodile sequence. Pretty cool. I really enjoyed in the OG so I am glad they kept it.

I would say the OG was better because you first go through the tunnel, where you can see the gaz tank, then you the crocodile shows up and you have to turn back and you make the link with the gaz tank.
Now you don't have to think as all the work is done for you almost. But still a cool sequence.

kunonabi

A really small session yesterday. I did the crocodile sequence. Pretty cool. I really enjoyed in the OG so I am glad they kept it.

I would say the OG was better because you first go through the tunnel, where you can see the gaz tank, then you the crocodile shows up and you have to turn back and you make the link with the gaz tank.
Now you don't have to think as all the work is done for you almost. But still a cool sequence.
Yeah, that sequence was the one part of the sewers I preferred in the original.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So I catched up with my old save. I have said it already but Mr X is just annoying for me. I tried a long time circling into the building to lose him and get me some time to properly explore new rooms but he always come back when approaching them. I have the feeling it's a bit scripted. And as expected was annoying because of him... "Move a shelf, climb the ladder, run downstairs, move a shelf, etc..."

Can't wait to get rid of him. He's just dragging the game.
Mr.X appearances seem really random. On my frist playthrough he was also constantly up my ass but in my later runs he barely showed up again after I lost him the first time. 🤷‍♂️

DelireMan7

So I completed the sewers...

First, Ada section was annoying... Playing the "minigame" of looking after cables and electronic device was boring. Especially with zombies around (and no spare ammo and healing items). Then Mr X joined the party for a new round of "run in circle around a table while scanning the walls". Incredible ! -_-

The Leon's part was ok but I somehow find the sewers too oppressive. I just wanted to get out of it. Expanding the Chess/plug puzzle was not the best idea in my opinion.

And the second Birkin's fight... Annoying. I wish there was a dodge button, or another movement option, for this situation. Because just running in circle waiting for the container was a bit boring.

Got upgrade for Shotgun, Magnum and Flamethower (a Flamethrower!!).

Just started the NEST. I like the atmosphere there. I guess I am approaching to the end now.

Still liking the game a lot despite not enjoying the sewer that much.

kunonabi

First, Ada section was annoying... Playing the "minigame" of looking after cables and electronic device was boring. Especially with zombies around (and no spare ammo and healing items). Then Mr X joined the party for a new round of "run in circle around a table while scanning the walls". Incredible ! -_-

The Leon's part was ok but I somehow find the sewers too oppressive. I just wanted to get out of it. Expanding the Chess/plug puzzle was not the best idea in my opinion.

And the second Birkin's fight... Annoying. I wish there was a dodge button, or another movement option, for this situation. Because just running in circle waiting for the container was a bit boring.

Just started the NEST. I like the atmosphere there. I guess I am approaching to the end now.

Sewer plays much better as Claire. Of course the whole game is better as Claire.

MCasey

I just purchased a PS5 and was wondering if anyone has played the RE2 remake? Is it worth playing? The deluxe version on the PS store is $12. I remember playing it when I was younger, but not in detail. I haven’t played a Resident Evil in forever.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I just purchased a PS5 and was wondering if anyone has played the RE2 remake? Is it worth playing? The deluxe version on the PS store is $12. I remember playing it when I was younger, but not in detail. I haven’t played a Resident Evil in forever.
Of course mate. RE2 Remake is at least on par with the RE1 Remake in terms of quality. Only thing dragging it down is that, unlike the original, it doesn't have a good B-scenario (some boss fights overlap and it generally feels like a last minute addition). Aside from that though it's almost perfect. Enjoy!

If you have the chance and are willing I'd even recommend replaying the original once more and then tackling the Remake. Should be quite an experiance for you.

DelireMan7

Basically what JimmyRustler JimmyRustler said.

The game is very good. I play the franchise fresh currently and this one is my second favourite behing REmake.

It's even better if you played the OG recently (or have good memory of it).

Definitely worth a buy.

Tips : the hard mode is called "Hardcore" and it lives up to its name. Normal is pretty well balanced. Still a lot of tension and ammo management to do. Except if you look for a crazy challenge, Normal is the way to go.

Last edited:
While you’re not wrong, consider that piracy was rampant on the PS1, especially outside of the US. The lesser overall sales of RE2 may very well be due to widespread piracy. ‘98 was the year PlayStation stopped pretending it had any serious competition. Everyone had one and I personally never knew another PS1 owner with an unmodded console. Video game shops would have it modded for you and when people found out, there were many people who literally never bought an original game. If all the people who played RE2 had legitimately bought it, we’d be seeing very different figures today. Software sales figures for the most easily piratable systems will always be unreliable by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of units. This is possibly why in the last few generations, video games have seen software sales well beyond anything seen before: it‘s much, much more of a hassle to pirate than before, and hefty sales throughout the year make software more accessible to more people.

I was talking about the US specifically in that quote, which was most sales for the series at the time. Piracy wouldn't be much of a factor in the US case.

It started out high, and then declining each entry with 3 selling ~1 million.

Very similar decline as Tomb Raider actually.

Many 1996 games were in the same boat. Tekken and Crash were the only major exceptions. Even applies to some 1995 games too like Ridge Racer in US.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Yea, I really dislike the Ada sequence in 2make. Too much trial and error, completely throws off the pacing. Same with the Village DLC when you get around to it. Way too much trial and error resulting in cheap deaths. Not even difficult, just certain things where you aren't quite sure what the game is asking you to do. Sloppy game design IMO.

Soodanim

You made quicker progress than I expected. I was going to say about going back to the RPD for the extra items but you did it anyway!

I agree with Ada's part not being too much fun. You can see the progression of introducing the mechanic in a safe room, then with 1 zombie and needing 2 switches. But then it goes into 4 zombies in a big room with still limited ammo and if you don't remember locations and correctly bait you're going to get pounced on, and when X turns up you'd better hurry and find that thing or you're getting punched up. My playthrough on Hardcore the other day ended there, because I wasn't saving and without my infinite weapons I was just a rusty player pushing too hard on a mode where 2 hits is death. Got surprised round a corner, and that was that. DelireMan7 DelireMan7 I bet you're glad you didn't have to do that on Hardcore.

Good luck with 2nd Run chess piece puzzles, seeing as you enjoyed this one so much. :)

I agree with the Birkin fights needing some sort of dodge because it's just constant chases and almost inevitably taking hits until you maximise efficiency. The original didn't have most bosses be constantly on top of you like that where you can't even stop for a shot to stun them.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Sounds like me until I got to the part in REmake where you read Lisa's haunting diary only for her to barge into the room the next moment.

That shit scarred me for life and I never played it since. Maybe it's time to finally go back and face my fear. On a 55" TV in HD lol. I think it's really the psychological aspect of that diary that got under my skin, which is a testament to the poignancy of what an IP this is. Hordes of zombies, fine, but reading the deteriorating mental state of little girls only for them to show up with tenctacles the next moment, I was like K I'm out.

Maybe it didn't help that I played in a dark basement with a hallway full of brown doors with bronze handles. I would get up and walk and hardly feel any state-change from the game environment lol. I did go right ahead and breezed through RE4 no problem but something about REmake man...terrifying. And yet talking about again makes it sound pretty fucking awesome and I want to again lol

Soodanim

Sounds like me until I got to the part in REmake where you read Lisa's haunting diary only for her to barge into the room the next moment.

That shit scarred me for life and I never played it since. Maybe it's time to finally go back and face my fear. On a 55" TV in HD lol. I think it's really the psychological aspect of that diary that got under my skin, which is a testament to the poignancy of what an IP this is. Hordes of zombies, fine, but reading the deteriorating mental state of little girls only for them to show up with tenctacles the next moment, I was like K I'm out.

Maybe it didn't help that I played in a dark basement with a hallway full of brown doors with bronze handles. I would get up and walk and hardly feel any state-change from the game environment lol. I did go right ahead and breezed through RE4 no problem but something about REmake man...terrifying. And yet talking about again makes it sound pretty fucking awesome and I want to again lol
Sounds like a deeply immersive ride, I say go for it. They are great games and if you were enjoying it up until that point you owe it to yourself to see it through!

Good for you, I think that's the best choice overalls. No one expects that level of challenge from Hardcore, despite the name. I don't know if you're the type that would like it or would prefer not to look behind the curtain during your first experience, but if you're interested here's a little about how difficulty works in 2R just because I thought of it:

2R uses dynamic difficulty scaling that I believe was introduced in 4. Some actions increase a "score", and some decrease it. That in turn takes you up and down a ladder of difficulty brackets, which affects things like enemy health/damage and amount of bullets found.

I don't remember specifics, but for simplicity's sake let's say there's 15 levels. Easy is locked at somethjng like 0-5, Normal has a huge range from 4-12, and Hardcore is locked somewhere at the top at 12-15.

That dynamic shifting helps create an individual balance. If you play well, you get less resources to keep it being too easy. If you're struggling, the game throws you a bone and helps you stay alive.

I don't think I ever bothered with mkb on PC more than a couple times, it wasn't something I took to. It's not bad, I just prefer a controller.

I don't have a Steam Deck, but the 40hz mode should make it very easy to find a smooth balance. 2R is great at providing lots of settings so you can tweak, but for quick advice I'd say turn volumetric lighting and shadows down to medium because they don't have great performance:price ratios. The reflection thing is a bit broken, so don't bother with that either.

I would imagine the controls feel great on Deck, you get the best of both worlds thanks to mouse look being an option.

Very late reply, but thank you! I started RE2Make on Steam Deck last weekend.

I tuned the graphical settings to most of what you recommended, but ducked the texture quality down to 1GB and am running at constant 60fps (for now). The battery goes down pretty fast compared to all the old games I play on Deck, but that's fine since I usually only play for 1 hour at a time.

The controls feel great on Deck layout too. Coming from RE4, it's nice to be able to move and aim at the same time, and the trigger being shoot (instead of X) feels nicer too. I also turned on gyro aim in the Deck's controller settings (right joystick), then mapped the face buttons to the back paddles so that I don't have to move my thumb off the stick as much.

I've played through OG RE2 many times and have mastered RE4, but for my first run I'm sticking with Normal Difficulty. I used to do Leon A Claire B when playing OG RE2, but I'm doing the opposite this time by starting with Claire.

All in all, it's been great! Haven't encountered Mr. X yet, so I think I'm still very early in the game.

DelireMan7

I agree with Ada's part not being too much fun. You can see the progression of introducing the mechanic in a safe room, then with 1 zombie and needing 2 switches. But then it goes into 4 zombies in a big room with still limited ammo and if you don't remember locations and correctly bait you're going to get pounced on, and when X turns up you'd better hurry and find that thing or you're getting punched up. My playthrough on Hardcore the other day ended there, because I wasn't saving and without my infinite weapons I was just a rusty player pushing too hard on a mode where 2 hits is death. Got surprised round a corner, and that was that. DelireMan7 DelireMan7 DelireMan7 DelireMan7 I bet you're glad you didn't have to do that on Hardcore.

Yes that Ada's section is so annoying. Especially in the room with several zombies and you have to find a way to follow the cable to unlock the dooor.
Your Hardcore run seems to be quite tough. I am more than glad to have switch to Normal. Now that I see what's coming, I would never do an Hardcore run.

Looks like quite an experience ! But I feel you, that diary also got me hard. Actually the notes in REmake was one of my favorite part. Like the one from a scientist which got infected and by reading you slowly see how is transforming. Lisa's diary is really dark and hard !

Very late reply, but thank you! I started RE2Make on Steam Deck last weekend.

I tuned the graphical settings to most of what you recommended, but ducked the texture quality down to 1GB and am running at constant 60fps (for now). The battery goes down pretty fast compared to all the old games I play on Deck, but that's fine since I usually only play for 1 hour at a time.

The controls feel great on Deck layout too. Coming from RE4, it's nice to be able to move and aim at the same time, and the trigger being shoot (instead of X) feels nicer too. I also turned on gyro aim in the Deck's controller settings (right joystick), then mapped the face buttons to the back paddles so that I don't have to move my thumb off the stick as much.

I've played through OG RE2 many times and have mastered RE4, but for my first run I'm sticking with Normal Difficulty. I used to do Leon A Claire B when playing OG RE2, but I'm doing the opposite this time by starting with Claire.

All in all, it's been great! Haven't encountered Mr. X yet, so I think I'm still very early in the game.
Welcome to the ride ! It's a great remake in my opinion.

And good choice on the Normal difficulty ;)

Soodanim

Yes that Ada's section is so annoying. Especially in the room with several zombies and you have to find a way to follow the cable to unlock the dooor.
Your Hardcore run seems to be quite tough. I am more than glad to have switch to Normal. Now that I see what's coming, I would never do an Hardcore run.
There's an unlock that makes you finish the game on Hardcore in under 3 hours, saving no more than 3 times using no infinite weapons (except inf knife). I definitely used a guide for help, I didn't fancy grinding out the optimal path and learning by failing. In the end the 3 saves I picked were before bosses, but not Birkin 1 as there's a way to take him down in a matter of seconds. I also picked a B scenario as they're slightly shorter. Every little helps. When you have the route down and the puzzle solutions to hand, the first RPD part to Birkin 1 doesn't take long at all.

DelireMan7

There's an unlock that makes you finish the game on Hardcore in under 3 hours, saving no more than 3 times using no infinite weapons (except inf knife). I definitely used a guide for help, I didn't fancy grinding out the optimal path and learning by failing. In the end the 3 saves I picked were before bosses, but not Birkin 1 as there's a way to take him down in a matter of seconds. I also picked a B scenario as they're slightly shorter. Every little helps. When you have the route down and the puzzle solutions to hand, the first RPD part to Birkin 1 doesn't take long at all.
That sounds tough as hell. Lot of trials and errors I guess to get the good path.

Forgot to mention I made small progress in the NEST. I prepared the solution to kill the plants but have to refrigerate it now.
Like every RE so far, I feel like the last sections are always dragging a bit too much and the backtracking "annoys" me a bit. Still I really like what they did with the NEST part. Love the atmosphere.

I think after Leon's run, I'll make a break again. Horror games are usually not my stuff and REmake 2 being "realistic" looking makes it very oppressive to me (actually after my first 2 sessions, I felt a bit weird because this game made me feel what horror it would be to be in such situation). Even so I really enjoy it.
I'll need something lighter to "breathe" a bit (and Hollow Knight is calling me back more and more :D)

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Looks like quite an experience ! But I feel you, that diary also got me hard. Actually the notes in REmake was one of my favorite part. Like the one from a scientist which got infected and by reading you slowly see how is transforming. Lisa's diary is really dark and hard !

Welcome to the ride ! It's a great remake in my opinion.

And good choice on the Normal difficulty ;)

CRACKING A COLD ONE OPEN

Two guys, 1 stone tomb

Skull fucking

I like my cabin women like I like my spam sandwiches, cold, and slightly pungent in the back of the refri-

Oh, you meant emotionally.

Edit: I'll attempt on topic, Lisa's diaries really ARE draining. I just got to the lab again last night (I'm replaying) and it never really hit me quite like it did before, but it's a classic little horror side story meshed in there perfectly. Those are the sort of additions or changes to a remake I really enjoy, The ones that make sense in their world independent of the need to change the story around to accommodate it. Things that fit nicely like that are evidence of good writing. Like planting your garden plants the proper distance apart. A good little narrative (which RE quickly gives up on but remake is grand) knows the boundaries of it's garden, where the fences are, and strategically plants smaller plants in locations where they won't overcrowd and diminish a plant that's been there longer. Trevor side story is just that to me.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

CRACKING A COLD ONE OPEN

Two guys, 1 stone tomb

Skull fucking

I like my cabin women like I like my spam sandwiches, cold, and slightly pungent in the back of the refri-

Oh, you meant emotionally.
I was confused at first and then got it.

I should be more careful with English expression with double sense xD

I love the line with the women/sandwich/refrigerator !

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I was confused at first and then got it.

I should be more careful with English expression with double sense xD

I love the line with the women/sandwich/refrigerator !

I know it's the second time I've picked on you, I promise it's all in good fun. You didn't use it incorrectly, your sentence makes sense the way you typed it, it conveys the idea you wanted. It can just also be taken immaturely. Double entendre, and all that.

DelireMan7

I know it's the second time I've picked on you, I promise it's all in good fun. You didn't use it incorrectly, your sentence makes sense the way you typed it, it conveys the idea you wanted. It can just also be taken immaturely. Double entendre, and all that.
Haha, I was not 100% sure it was also you whom picked oneme with the "Chef" one xD. Fine for me, I love these jokes.

And I just learn "Double entendre" is a real expression.

BlackTron

It is, and even though I thought they were going somewhere with it, I didn't expect her to show up immediately after they dump all that on you. The way you are in a cramped space in that shed and she is coming in the only exit...I know it's RE and you can probably just run right past her then treat her like any other boss with a pattern later, but I'd been braving my anxiety through the game till that point and it was just the last straw after reading that lol.

I also forgot to mention something obviously super relevant and important -Jill is the hottest game character of all time. Not usually a selling point for me, I just find DOA's marketing funny and laugh at waifu culture, yet can confidently state that Jill is my official waifu. Anyone else I will just feel like a nerd (even by my standards) for glaring at polygons. Fuck it, I don't care. Jill, call me a nerd.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It is, and even though I thought they were going somewhere with it, I didn't expect her to show up immediately after they dump all that on you. The way you are in a cramped space in that shed and she is coming in the only exit...I know it's RE and you can probably just run right past her then treat her like any other boss with a pattern later, but I'd been braving my anxiety through the game till that point and it was just the last straw after reading that lol.

I also forgot to mention something obviously super relevant and important -Jill is the hottest game character of all time. Not usually a selling point for me, I just find DOA's marketing funny and laugh at waifu culture, yet can confidently state that Jill is my official waifu. Anyone else I will just feel like a nerd (even by my standards) for glaring at polygons. Fuck it, I don't care. Jill, call me a nerd.

Dude, Jill is verifiable icon status in gaming at this point as a female lead. Easily stands up to Lara Croft, Samus Aran, etc on the Mount Rushmore of good female characters when women were still allowed to be women and taken seriously without having to be hit in the face repeatedly with the golf club of disfiguration.

DelireMan7

th

Not gonna lie, she's beautiful and badass as fuck (the REmake design is perfect for me). A true icon in gaming to be sure.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
th

Not gonna lie, she's beautiful and badass as fuck (the REmake design is perfect for me). A true icon in gaming to be sure.

To be SURE, my dude. It's amazing, especially coming from 90's Japan. Very conservatively dressed, militaristically so almost. No boobs acting like Flubber or tooth floss G string, and still manages to be incredibly appealing, and withstanding time. I see those navy and Grey tones and that beret and it always takes me back to a more innocent era of gaming.

I'm sure we are all keen to see what Jill looks like in the new CG movie for her current appearance. Not for flashbacks.

But I reckon if she's still a blonde, she will have more orangey or grey hair due to her age. Although I reckon she must be nearing 50 by now, at least. I'll go look up her date of birth later, but I am glad Capcom decided to bring her back. Because if you think about it, she hasn't been in any games other than prequel games and remakes since RE5, which was released all the way back in 2009. You can't even count those games Jill was in thereafter, since they predated those events. For anything post RE5, we only know she's been in rehab.

Meanwhile, we've had Chris up the ass for every sequel since RE5. But I don't mind that he keeps getting used. Chris is RE royalty, after all. So I would rather we got more of him since we had more of Leon for a while. But my God, was his RE7 redesign just the worst? Chris was totally unrecognisable.

I understand that people get older, so I don't particularly dislike his model in RE8. But in 7, Chris looked and sounded terrible. It's like Capcom just didn't put in the effort to hire somebody who remotely looked like him, instead blaming their now debunked photo realism, RE Engine bullshit.

DelireMan7

Just finished Leon's story.

Amazing game. Aside from Mr X in the police station and a bit the sewers (and a nitpick on the lamp I wish I could switch on and off at will), the game is amazing.

I might do Claire's run. On that: should go for 2nd run or first ? It's not really clear what's the way to go

Soodanim

Amazing game. Aside from Mr X in the police station and a bit the sewers (and a nitpick on the lamp I wish I could switch on and off at will), the game is amazing.

I might do Claire's run. On that: should go for 2nd run or first ? It's not really clear what's the way to go
I say just go into 2nd run. The majority of the game is the same, and the changes will keep things fresh. Claire's story has one particular cutscene that popped me, and I rarely have any outward show of emotion when I play games. I'm excited on your behalf and I think I'm going to play Claire's 2nd myself

DelireMan7

I say just go into 2nd run. The majority of the game is the same, and the changes will keep things fresh. Claire's story has one particular cutscene that popped me, and I rarely have any outward show of emotion when I play games. I'm excited on your behalf and I think I'm going to play Claire's 2nd myself
Glad that you go for a Claire's run :)

I started it but ,as I was thinking, I need a break from RE again. Too oppressive for me. I just play the very beginning, made my way into the Police station but I stopped there. I'll come back to it a bit later.

I started a new run of Hollow Knight and this game feels so good ! Can't wait for Silksong. I might do a RTTP thread :)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

2nd run of course as it has a different ending. Don't expect too much though as it is a bit half assed. I still can't get over this. I mean, the Remake itself is as perfect as it can be but the 2nd run really taints the whole thing. I'd rather they left it out completeley and cramped everything into one run... or made a DLC/Remaster for PS5 with a propper 2nd run.... but just leaving it like that.... it's wrong man.

Lots of vibes of being in Silent Hill are certainly present in RE8. Mannequins are also in those games, and some tribute game that's on the Google Play Store. Plus, I think Capcom must have been a big fan of the P.T. demo in general. Because hmmm. It looks like they were copying that stuff to a degree.

I thought if any game was a great SH homage to Silent Hill in general, it was The Evil Within 2. That's because of the mood, the environments, and the Pyramid Head like boss, known as the Keeper. Also, the way you touch mirrors to transport to the other more rusty places reminded me of when Travis had to do that too.

It was a relative success in the PC and niche markets, and sold 600k over five years. Resident Evil completely eclipsed it in terms of exposure and sales, selling 4 million units in a year.

Completely clueless about old school PC game distribution and don't realize that there were multiple ways to play. That's why many in the industry knew what the game was despite your attempt to downplay it's impact by citing numbers through one method of play.

It's best bias console players don't talk about a subject they don't understand. Especially with a jp Dec bias which ai see in your previous posts.

What's more is that Alone ended up selling 2 million because it's traditional sales increased as PC became more accessible with powerful graphics year after year. While RE1 sold less and less.

Nobody doubts RE's debt to AitD, it's no secret. But RE deserves credit for exponentially improving the experience by a Herculean factor and defining precise, Survival Horror gameplay which spawned more imitators than AitD did.

This is your opinion, not fact. It's a term that fans tried to drive through the press and succeeded, like Metroidvania which came after a niche game most players know nothing about outside Japanese biased console fans, who also coincidentally ran to become gaming journalists, which is why many are generally ridiculed.

RE didn't introduce nothing that didn't already exist. To say RE had more immitators than Alone shows you never did any research and have no idea how many of that style of game spawned after Alone. RE had few immitators l even on its own consoles, hell some were still imitating Alone and not RE on its own console, or took elements from it. For every Deep Fear there were 2 or 3 Alone influenced games.

There's a reason why many games were moving away from Alones format during and after RE came out, even Silent Hill while influenced by RE, was moving away from the usual.

Remember, the last big game exclusive to consoles before RE in that format, was all 3D with 3 camera options and no prerendered backgrounds on a weaker console. That older format was tired out.

The only reason why you keep spreading misinformation of what RE1 did or how much it influenced is because you prefer to believe what you were told, or grew up with instead of educating yourself.

This is why In certain gaming circles you guys don't get very far unless it's filled with like minded people who push the same repeated narratives from Gamespot, IGN, and your biased YouTube creator. You have a computer with the Internet far ahead of where it was in the late 1990's and you+others still refuse to use it. And the same misinfo is still being spread in the medium over 2 decades later from way back then.

This is why certain games are commonly said to introduce things they never introduced. Because you were in a bubble, don't want to leave, and take bad gaming journalism at face value because it supports your bias.

Almost nothing on the PS1 was new or improved. Except maybe Gran Turismo if we exclude F1, Tomb Raider, Parapp and arguably Ridge Racer. No other big game series that sold on it 1997 or before was setting any standard outside setting it specifically on the PS1 (or N64), and the journalism claims putting the misinfo into the minds of people who were buying those consoles. For years they spread the same stuff over and over.

There's also the Regional situation to consider. RE sold only 4 million, by the time it reached that number the PS1 had sold truckloads, and sold less than 2M in it's most popular market, losing to games like WWE. Then it went 6 feet under. Alone was selling traditionally longer with higher sales per year in the long run. It had higher mindshare outside the bubble through it's various methods of getting to players, despite traditionally selling less, and back then Alone was on more platforms as well.

Both aren't very relevant now outside fans or historical purposes, but RE1's main lifeline outside being an early PS1 3D game at the right time, or fans, is that the term Survival Horror, which has no sold definition, is a completely fake genre based on fanboyism that still sticks around.

The fact that the term when retroactively applied, applies to dozens of games before RE already tells you that it was never really a defining moment in a worn-out format, just that it was a popular game, at the right time releasing early on what would become by far the most popular console ever. Paraded online through console leaning game journalists as the second coming, who had no experience or limited experience with games in the same format because most of them grew up in NES or SNES bubbles and even on those, primarily mainstream games or cult classics they were pushed to buy. Some Genesis users as well with the same problem.

This is why gaming history books, the bigger ones, all greatly contradict each other, and why few creators want to do interviews to avoid backlash of the common narrative that's pushed out. Because you have the people with knowledge being overshadowed by biased writers who want to keep the narrative going based on what they prefer. People like the current story than how things really were, it's more exciting.

I don't expect you to actually dig further thought you are comfortable believing what you currently do. I'm sure you think several games from then introduced or created things they didn't as well. Because you were told that by biased outlets and the communities you were involved in over the years repeated the same drivel.

Ironically, the ignorance is with you.

I was a working, PS1/Saturn/N64-owning adult when RE1 debuted. Do you have any more assumptions you'd like to prop up your headcanon with?

You know you have an asinine argument where you pretend I didn't say your experience was limited >OR< you grew up with the consoles.

Again the irony. It's your head canon that's the problem.

Like I said I don't expect you to further question and explore this issue. Disagree if you want, unless you want to surprise me.

I think I like RE2R more than 1R if just because I like how they brought that gameplay into 3D and used the extra dimension to enhance it by giving the player the option to cripple zombies for less ammo... Also Mr X is great. Walking through that licker + zombie corridor while weighing up your options under pressure because you can hear (but not see so distance is ambiguous) Mr X walking up behind you is Pure Gaming™.

(I'll admit though that the library shelves are a chore to move when you're getting harassed)

Plus the non-mansion areas of RE1R are more of a step down in design imo, feels more like any generic RE-like that didn't understand the appeal and just amounts to enemies on a path, and I don't care for the stuff they added. RE2R gets a little worse after the police station but they clearly tried to make at least somewhat interesting area layouts and challenges.

I should replay the originals some time.

(Also Hardcore mode in RE2R is easy if you know the game. First playthrough can be rough though, especially if you don't figure out legshots or how to avoid lickers)

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Here I am AGAIN !

After replaying Last of us and beating part 2 for the first time, I went back to my Claire's playthrough.

Love the feeling of this game. Finding my way into the police station infested by zombies and others nightmarish creature is really feeling terrifying.

I just got the parking keycard. I liked how they did Chief Irons characters.

Also it was nice to have the grenade launcher for Birkin. It went pretty fast.

I will not expend on it because I mentionned it several time in this thread but Mr X is still annoying as hell. Anti fun for me.

DelireMan7

And that's Claire done !

Both scenario could have been more distinct for sure. But still very enjoyable.

Nothing more to say, a very impressive remake.

Next will be REmake 3. But first 2 weeks holidays :)

Apocryphon

And that's Claire done !

Both scenario could have been more distinct for sure. But still very enjoyable.

Nothing more to say, a very impressive remake.

Next will be REmake 3. But first 2 weeks holidays :)
RE2 is a fucking masterpiece. I love almost everything about it, aside from how similar the 1st and 2nd runs are. It’s a game I will replay ever year.

RE3 is different but still has many redeeming qualities. The cut content is frustrating and Carlos’s hair is awful, but I like Jill and the dodge is great to have. The Nemesis fights are fine; some of the set pieces are outstandingly well done, but it doesn’t have the same vibe as RE2 because the environments aren’t anywhere near as atmospheric. Good but not great game and as others have said, it should probably have been DLC for RE2.

REmake is my favorite game of all time. So atmospheric and detailed. I hope it gets an over the shoulder remake. We need a fully 3d spencer mansion. I also played through Resident Evil 1.5. It has some really cool backgrounds and scenes but i can see why they scrapped it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom