• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Return of the King

I have seen every Lord of the Rings movie including The Hobbit movies. I still have never seen Return of the King and started watching the other day.

I can only deal with watching in 1 hour spurt so I'm watching 1 hour a day with the last day being one hour and 20 minutes seeing as it's a 3-hour and 20 minute movie.

I do not think I'm watching an extended version. I am watching the version that is on Amazon Prime video for free.

It's an excellent movie. Very beautiful shot. I can't believe how many actors I actually really like ended up walking out of the woodwork in this movie. John Noble and Karl Urban are in this and I never expected them to. Two of my favorite actors currently right there in this movie that just show up out of the woodwork.

Maybe they were in previous movies but I don't remember and I was probably not a Karl Urban friend at the time or knew who he was or John Noble was.

This movie is packed full of good actors. Good acting. Ghosts in the mountain. All sorts of cool stuff and I'm really liking it. Believe it or not the parts I like the least are War parts. I've never been a fan of war movies and I just don't like scenes where there's lots of War and you see a clusterfuck of people fighting each other. That being said it is still a highly enjoyable movie. I hate gollum. I want to kick his fucking teeth in.

I hope the mods don't ban me here if I say this because it might come off as racist but I really fucking hate hobbits who turn into that gollum of shit. I guess they all can't anyways but if that's a race of beings I'm racist against them.

John Noble is always angry in this. That's okay I'm used to Walter Bishop. He is not Walter Bishop and he is perpetually angry. Ian Mckellen is excellent as always.

I think I'm about an hour and 20 minutes away from the ending. Should I look forward to something spectacular? This is a good movie. It makes me want to play Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition. Agent Smith as the king of the elves or whatever he is is also great. His acting in here is much better than in The Matrix. And he doesn't have to worry about flying around kicking people because he's just an elf.

The characters fit and do their jobs. Everyone is good at what they do.

This is quite a show. If you haven't seen Lord of the Rings start with the first one and work your way up to Return of the King. I'm not going to lie to you. This can be a real slog. It can be very boring at times and is actually what prevented me from seeing the final movie. This is not star wars. This is far more akin to a drama then some kind of spectacular special effects with explosions. But that's okay because you're watching it for the story, the world building, the characters and even the Fantastic actors who just seem to walk right out of the wood.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good movie.

I never read any of the books, so I went in fresh with the LOTR movies. I never saw the recent Hobbit or whatever else came after it.

One thing that made zero sense is the part with the unkillable undead warriors that swarm enemies killing them in seconds.

Technically, those endless ghost warriors could had done the entire Tolkien world a favour and kill all enemies by command of Aragorn. Then when the last orc and evil eye is dead, RIP. But I guess it makes for a more interesting story to only have them kick ass in one giant battle and then disappear.

Good movie.

I never read any of the books, so I went in fresh with the LOTR movies. I never saw the recent Hobbit or whatever else came after it.

One thing that made zero sense is the part with the unkillable undead warriors that swarm enemies killing them in seconds.

Technically, those endless ghost warriors could had done the entire Tolkien world a favour and kill all enemies by command of Aragorn. Then when the last orc and evil eye is dead, RIP. But I guess it makes for a more interesting story to only have them kick ass in one giant battle and then disappear.
I guess this is like flying the eagles to Mordor.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Good movie.

In the book, the ghosts didn't actually kill.
In the book there was a scene where denethor had called up reinforcements from southern gondor cities but they could only send a fraction of their armies because they were worried about attacks from pirates and haradrim.

Aragon basically used the ghosts to frighten the evil men and orcs that were laying siege to the cities of Southern Gondor, so that he could recruit their armies and bring them to Minas Tirith. The ghosts also helped capture a pirate fleets, which aragon used to transport his army

Batiman

Banned
Sounds like you should of refreshed yourself with the first two before watching the third. I feel the pay off won’t feel as rewarding. It’s a much better experience that way. Especially since you mentioned not remembering if karl urban was in the last ones

Lasha

The book has lore reasons why eagles can't just go there and I believe there's a line in one of the movies that Sauron watched the skies with the Nazgul or something of that sort.

That argument is how you tell somebody didn't read the books. The movie does explain the reasons for stealth but not as explicitly as it is explained in the books. The Eye of Sauron was too busy looking at the rest of Middle Earth to notice some halfling and his bro walking in the back way.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In the book, the ghosts didn't actually kill.
In the book there was a scene where denethor had called up reinforcements from southern gondor cities but they could only send a fraction of their armies because they were worried about attacks from pirates and haradrim.

Aragon basically used the ghosts to frighten the evil men and orcs that were laying siege to the cities of Southern Gondor, so that he could recruit their armies and bring them to Minas Tirith. The ghosts also helped capture a pirate fleets, which aragon used to transport his army
Ah, didn't know that.

That makes sense in the book, but for the movie Peter Jackson made them into an invincible force that cant be harmed physically. Aragorn could had literally commanded them to wipe the land of evil as that ghost army moved and killed fast.

Lasha

Ah, didn't know that.

That makes sense in the book, but for the movie Peter Jackson made them into an invincible force that cant be harmed physically. Aragorn could had literally commanded them to wipe the land of evil as that ghost army moved and killed fast.

I dunno if the scene is in the normal edition, but Aragorn does consider keeping the ghost army but he remembers his oath. The ghost army is cursed because they broke their oath by refusing to come to Isildur's aid during his fight with Sauron. The army fulfilled its oath by following Aragon (Heir to Isildur) to the defense of Gondor. Aragon being just released them as their compact had been fulfilled.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
I really enjoyed the trilogy and when I was younger I'd watch fellow ship of the ring when I'd get sick.

One of those series I go back and watch every few years.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's my least favorite of the LotR trilogy, but it is still excellent and definitely doesn't drag the trilogy down at all. It just gets a little too big and showy and loses a little bit of its character by doing so. Also the legolas bit is genuinely shit.

Top Bottom