• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Returnal | Play this game

Amiga

I read about the going offline thing, but why would that make a difference? Sounds super weird lol.
apparently online tends to generate rooms with the corpses you avenge. so offline removes some of regular rooms from the shuffling algorithm, and that gives rare rooms more chances to appear. this matters because some rooms are super rare, my last cipher was in an area that only spawned once in all my runs in the Crimson Wastes.

And the ciphers CAN be in side rooms right, just not locked ones? Also not behind yellow barriers?
correct.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
apparently online tends to generate rooms with the corpses you avenge. so offline removes some of regular rooms from the shuffling algorithm, and that gives rare rooms more chances to appear. this matters because some rooms are super rare, my last cipher was in an area that only spawned once in all my runs in the Crimson Wastes.

correct.

But can't corpses appear anywhere someone has died?

Amiga

But can't corpses appear anywhere someone has died?
Not sure about how that works. probably the algorithm want's to spawn a set number of rooms with scout corpses and these rooms tend to be more common, and the super rare room tend to be less lethal. all this would make a rare roll even worse.
what I know for sure is that offline increased the rare room rate noticeably. try it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not sure about how that works. probably the algorithm want's to spawn a set number of rooms with scout corpses and these rooms tend to be more common, and the super rare room tend to be less lethal. all this would make a rare roll even worse.
what I know for sure is that offline increased the rare room rate noticeably. try it.

Well, I'm having the worst luck I guess. I'm missing 3 ciphers in each of biome 2 and 3, and run after run (offline) I get nothing.

Edit: Ok, I'm down to 1 + 2 in those now, so I am making progress. Slowly.

Last edited:

Amiga

Well, I'm having the worst luck I guess. I'm missing 3 ciphers in each of biome 2 and 3, and run after run (offline) I get nothing.

Edit: Ok, I'm down to 1 + 2 in those now, so I am making progress. Slowly.

- the last ones are almost surly in the rare rooms.
- you can make your runs faster if you can remember what room you didn't get. like if it's the open desert just check then reload the save after reaching the mountain gates. if it's the top of the tower just skip everything and use the portal to go top, start from there then go down.
- if you get the room you want and it's not there then target another area and go straight for it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finally 100% done. Got the platinum and all the DLC trophies. The worst part by far was getting all the ciphers in the main game, the last few ones took HOURS AND HOURS. Yeah, it's my choice to go for the platinum, and yeah, trophies don't matter, but when I'm just a few trophies away I usually go for it if I've been enjoying the game. Gives me an excuse to keep playing it. And I do still love this game, but I most certainly do NOT love RNG trophies.

But overall, absolutely brilliant game, and I didn't grow tired of it even though I ended up spending over 70 hours on it (a lot of those were cipher hunting...). But now I feel that I'm done. The only thing left to do is to try to get even further in the tower, but I feel pretty satisfied having "beaten" it (as in gotten all the collectables and seen all the story stuff).

But I'm first in line for whatever Housemarque make next, that's for sure!

Fredrik

Finished it today! 🥳
In short, with save states it’s on my all time top 10. I even kept playing a bit more after the credit text, which rarely happens.
Can’t wait to play whatever Housemarque creates next! (as long as you can save)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finished it today! 🥳
In short, with save states it’s on my all time top 10. I even kept playing a bit more after the credit text, which rarely happens.
Can’t wait to play whatever Housemarque creates next! (as long as you can save)

Did you finish it or "finish" it? (You don't get the true ending just by beating the final boss.)

Fredrik

Did you finish it or "finish" it? (You don't get the true ending just by beating the final boss.)
Just the normal ending with the credits. Didn’t know there was another ending, explains how incredibly cryptic it was, whole family sat here trying to understand whatever happened lol

tommib

Just the normal ending with the credits. Didn’t know there was another ending, explains how incredibly cryptic it was, whole family sat here trying to understand whatever happened lol
The true ending doesn’t solve it either. The best way is to see it as a sort of Mulholland Drive in space.

Fredrik

The true ending doesn’t solve it either. The best way is to see it as a sort of Mulholland Drive in space.
Yeah I just googled it, lots of theories out there, all super weird 😵‍💫

27 hours played btw, 9 while hating it and the rest while truly enjoying it when I found out that you could save. The core gameplay is so so good, I’ll probably keep playing it occasionally.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yeah, there are like two more endings lol, one after beating act 3 (you have only done the first two acts), and another after finishing the story parts of the DLC. I think the DLC in general gives more insight into Selene's past and what's really going on than the main story (although it remains rather cryptic), so I recommend playing that too (plus the tower has excellent gameplay with much faster progression than the main game).

tommib

Yeah I just googled it, lots of theories out there, all super weird 😵‍💫

27 hours played btw, 9 while hating it and the rest while truly enjoying it when I found out that you could save. The core gameplay is so so good, I’ll probably keep playing it occasionally.
Have you tried the Tower already? It’s what a play I play when everything else bores me. Endless fun in there.

tommib

Incredible game.

bUt ItS aN UgLy OlD WoMaN - gamers who didn’t play this.
Is she even ugly though? Or just not 13?

2.jpg

Fredrik

Have you tried the Tower already? It’s what a play I play when everything else bores me. Endless fun in there.
No I got scared away by the text that I would lose some non-essential items, wasn’t sure they meant the permanent ones or not.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No I got scared away by the text that I would lose some non-essential items, wasn’t sure they meant the permanent ones or not.

That just means you get reset while doing the tower, which is kind of its own self-contained thing. You don't lose anything in the main game, and you can go back and forth at will.

tommib

What? You don’t lose anything. I don’t remember any message like that. Maybe because you haven’t reached the true ending? Weird though.

Try it (if you get that message solved). It’s like an endless mini-Returnal and even more arcade.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What? You don’t lose anything. I don’t remember any message like that. Maybe because you haven’t reached the true ending? Weird though.

Try it (if you get that message solved). It’s like an endless mini-Returnal and even more arcade.

It does say that, but it just means you don't get to bring stuff with you from the main game to the tower.

Amiga

- The Tower explains the story more clearly. need 6 flowers, 1 max per run, appears between floors 1-20. each visit with the flower reveals a bit. also more audio logs. the complete ending of the tower feels like the true one and it's one of the best endings in games IMOO.
- has a new one use supergun category as a usable item you can stack.
- can't use save state but you don't need too. you get powered up very fast. if you stack the powerups right you can get 300% health and also frequent shields.
- if you leveled up the advanced perks in the Abyssal Scar the top of the tower will be easy and fun. otherwise you will get many guns with useless locked perks.

Top Bottom