• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Sekiro's ending - I finally got gud!!

Buggy Loop

In march 2019 i bought the game day 1 but i had my hands full with a baby, just out of university, a new job and a new home. I was also playing this on a less than decent PC with a Ryzen 1600 and a 1060.

Anyway, back then i got up to Papa Owl at the castle and i just couldn't get past this boss. Work and family related stuffs took over and when i came back weeks later, it was even worse. Mind you, boss rush was not added in yet so even practicing with older bosses was out of question. I had killed the guy at the training area. I felt like this is insurmountable, i had lost all reflexes needed to advance in this game.

A full replay was needed...

Well i did that since a few weeks ago. On PC with a much better setup. I don't know if it helps with latency but it felt really different this time.

When i got to Owl and died a couple of times i was like..

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

This bastard doesn't fight like any other sword enemies in the game. He has no perilous attacks. No Mikiri counter openings or to goomba his head when there's a sweep opportunity. It's a complete relearning compared to Genichiro. But anyway

I fucking won

excited pumped up GIF by WWE

I went on a rampage of all the rest of the bosses and mini bosses, i killed them all. Demon of hatred, Ape duo, not a single one skipped (outside of shura path bosses). I then got all the health upgrades and all the prosthetics i could get outside of the 2 last ones that require crystals that are not given in enough quantities on first play-through.

I just beat Isshin the Sword tonight.

What a masterful game

Top 5 tier of all time for me. Best From's game, by far. I appreciated my 2nd play-through a lot more and not just because i won against great shinobi owl, but something simply clicked this time. I did not want to cheese any bosses, because i was enjoying learning the game mechanics so much and it was a NECESSARY obstacle for the end boss further down the line i was telling myself. Kudos to FightingCowboy's youtube channel for all his legit "git gud" videos. It helped me immensely.

I loved Tenchu back in the days and this feels like the spiritual successor. I'm now sad that basically From will be an Elden ring machine from now on problably because of cash. I can't imagine a Shinobi/Ninja game beating this masterpiece any time soon. The way the character moves in this game, the enemies movesets...

The parry window

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Not a lot of games have even come close to nailing that window of opportunity to parry, counter, etc. None i can think of comes close.

10/10 game, everything about it is BADASS. The dialogues feel right at home, the lore is amazing and creative with the folklore of Japan. The gameplay is so tightly tune to a specific way to play, that it feels like Dark souls' class system is ace of everything, master of none. I loved it so much i might even do NG+.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
10/10 game, everything about it is BADASS. The dialogues feel right at home, the lore is amazing and creative with the folklore of Japan. The gameplay is so tightly tune to a specific way to play, that it feels like Dark souls' class system is ace of everything, master of none. I loved it so much i might even do NG+.
giphy.gif

There is good reason why Sekiro is my favourite FROM game.

I replayed this game even after I got platinum trophy for it.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
That's so great you beat the game after all this time! Congrats man! One of my favorites.

If you haven't started NG+ already, I recommend you try a charmless run instead. Brutal but so so rewarding.

Congrats again. 👍

Pelao

Hey, congratulations, OP.
Sekiro is my favorite FromSoftware game. And Ishin is by far my favorite boss. I love fighting him so much that, before they added the option to be able to fight bosses whenever you wanted, I would replay the game with the sole motivation of fighting him and papa Owl again. Now I just open the game for a quick round every now and then, but I still try to replay the whole thing from time to time.

HYDE

Banned
In march 2019 i bought the game day 1 but i had my hands full with a baby, just out of university, a new job and a new home. I was also playing this on a less than decent PC with a Ryzen 1600 and a 1060.

Anyway, back then i got up to Papa Owl at the castle and i just couldn't get pass this boss. Work and family related stuffs took over and when i came back weeks later, it was even worse. Mind you, boss rush was not added in yet so even practicing with older bosses was out of question. I had killed the guy at the training area. I felt like this is insurmountable, i had lost all reflexes needed to advance in this game.

Well i did that since a few weeks ago. On PC with a much better setup. I don't know if it helps with latency but it felt really different this time.

This bastard doesn't fight like any other sword enemies in the game. He has no perilous attacks. No Mikiri counter openings or to goomba his head when there's a sweep opportunity. It's a complete relearning compared to Genichiro. But anyway

I fucking won

I went on a rampage of all the rest of the bosses and mini bosses, i killed them all. Demon of hatred, Ape duo, not a single one skipped (outside of shura path bosses). I then got all the health upgrades and all the prosthetics i could get outside of the 2 last ones that require crystals that are not given in enough quantities on first play-through.

What a masterful game

Top 5 tier of all time for me. Best From's game, by far. I appreciated my 2nd play-through a lot more and not just because i won against great shinobi owl, but something simply clicked this time. I did not want to cheese any bosses, because i was enjoying learning the game mechanics so much and it was a NECESSARY obstacle for the end boss further down the line i was telling myself. Kudos to FightingCowboy's youtube channel for all his legit "git gud" videos. It helped me immensely.

I loved Tenchu back in the days and this feels like the spiritual successor. I'm now sad that basically From will be an Elden ring machine from now on problably because of cash. I can't imagine a Shinobi/Ninja game beating this masterpiece any time soon. The way the character moves in this game, the enemies movesets...

The parry window

Not a lot of games have even come close to nailing that window of opportunity to parry, counter, etc. None i can think of comes close.

Glad you finally came to this realization!!

Danjin44

That's the only thing these games are good for. Brag about beating, after suffering through the miserable experience of actually playing them.
Maybe for you, I personally had a blast playing this game. Also there is not much to "brag" about, everyone can beat this game, if you can beat this without taking any damage, now thats something to brag about.

SkylineRKR

Sekiro is masterful but I feel its lacking in replay value since there is no real build variety. I never did NG+. Generally the game wants you to be on the offensive and actually bait long enemy combos you can parry to finish them off. This is why Genishiro is a wake up call to many, you have to use the mechanics here and then he's actually quite easy and you will likely beat the game.

But some bosses like Demon of Hatred are different.

Anyway, back then i got up to Papa Owl at the castle and i just couldn't get pass this boss. Work and family related stuffs took over and when i came back weeks later, it was even worse. Mind you, boss rush was not added in yet so even practicing with older bosses was out of question. I had killed the guy at the training area. I felt like this is insurmountable, i had lost all reflexes needed to advance in this game.

I fucking won

What a masterful game

The parry window

Agreed, it really is froms best game - and from makes really good games.

M1987

I fought him about 5 times a couple of weeks ago and hardly landed a hit,haven't played it since

Hugare

I didnt even finish it and I think this is From's best game

You hit the nail in the head when you mentioned that the lack of build variety is a good thing. They designed the whole game around an specific combat system, and because of that, it excels where other From games dont.

I have to give this game another chance soon.

Buggy Loop

Yep, they are pretty good at stroking someone's ego.

Games that hand hold you and give a free platinum are a dime a dozen. Stroking someone's ego is making you think you were a genius for solving a puzzle that is basically put the square in the square hole.

I can understand someone not liking difficult games, but Sekiro is what it is. There's an understanding between peoples who went through these games. I have a colleague at work and he's played all of them, multiple times. When we mention a certain difficult boss, we understand.

Like EviLore EviLore said, the sense of satisfaction is unmatched. This game in particular has really good boss fights that teach you the mechanics. There's almost never a moment where you feel it was bullshit or that the camera is the worse boss like some Dark souls games. Beating them is an incredible dopamine hit. I don't think there's a game that came close to the Shinobi/Ninja sword clinging batshit insane fights like this game did.

Danjin44

Games that hand hold you and give a free platinum are a dime a dozen. Stroking someone's ego is making you think you were a genius for solving a puzzle that is basically put the square in the square hole.

I can understand someone not liking difficult games, but Sekiro is what it is. There's an understanding between peoples who went through these games. I have a colleague at work and he's played all of them, multiple times. When we mention a certain difficult boss, we understand.

Like EviLore EviLore said, the sense of satisfaction is unmatched. This game in particular has really good boss fights that teach you the mechanics. There's almost never a moment where you feel it was bullshit or that the camera is the worse boss like some Dark souls games. Beating them is an incredible dopamine hit. I don't think there's a game that came close to the Shinobi/Ninja sword clinging batshit insane fights like this game did.
And most importantly Sekiro is fucking fun to play, smooth control with precise combat, I died in this game a lot but I never felt frustrated, it was absolute blast mastering the combat.

Thanks. All I needed to hear.
I can confirm. I just replayed it on my PS5 a month or two ago and it is a rock solid 60fps. It was also the first time I played it on my OLED with HDR and all the other bells and whistles. It's a fucking gorgeous game. Fromsoft may lack in the technical department, but their art direction is the best in the industry.

Fuz

Banned
It's the more refined among From Software's games.
It's really astonishing how well designed the combat is.

I still prefer Dark Souls 1, though.

Danjin44

Sekiro is masterful but I feel it’s lacking in replay value since there is no real build variety.
I replayed Sekiro even after getting platinum trophy for it. To me Sekiro’s replay value same as other action games, it becomes more fun replaying as get good at the combat, thats number one reason why most people replay games like DMC and Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Everytime someone mentions this game, I immediately want to replay it. It's just that good. I really hope Fromsoft doesn't abandon this combat system, even if they have to abandon the IP due to rumors of a bad relationship with Activision.

Wait, who owns the IP? I thought activision was only a publisher for western market?

Bragr

Banned
Do you play on PC or console? I played Sekiro on the PS4 when it came out, but I assume, like all FromSoftware games, that it plays a lot better on other hardware. I am considering going back to that game again, it's so good. Worth playing again.

Do you play on PC or console? I played Sekiro on the PS4 when it came out, but I assume, like all FromSoftware games, that it plays a lot better on other hardware. I am considering going back to that game again, it's so good. Worth playing again.
It is smooth as silk even on a clunker pc

Danjin44

I replayed the game on my PS5 and it runs flawlessly.

Buggy Loop

Played on PC and with ultrawide at 60 fps. Could not manage to get the 120 fps mod to work with ultrawide somehow. But it was smooth as butter anyway.

Thief1987

Lol this is the ego of fromsoftware fanboy, if someone don't like their idol very much they must be some casuals who don't like "hard" games. I don't even consider them hard, and i platinumed all of them, especially sekiro which is just primitive rhythm game in disguise.

Like EviLore EviLore said, the sense of satisfaction is unmatched. This game in particular has really good boss fights that teach you the mechanics.
The only "mechanic" they teach you is that your left index finger need to memorize patterns at which press L1 button. That's all. That's the "genius" and the "best combat ever". It's absolutely pathetic that combat system which is as shallow as you can get being praised so much just because it have some spectacle element in it and because of a fromsoftware cult.

Buggy Loop

Lol this is the ego of fromsoftware fanboy, if someone don't like their idol very much they must be some casuals who don't like "hard" games. I don't even consider them hard, and i platinumed all of them, especially sekiro which is just primitive rhythm game in disguise.

The only "mechanic" they teach you is that your left index finger need to memorize patterns at which press L1 button. That's all. That's the "genius" and the "best combat ever". It's absolutely pathetic that combat system which is as shallow as you can get being praised so much just because it have some spectacle element in it and because of a fromsoftware cult.

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Like I give a fuck your edge lord drivel.
All games are basically a pattern to press buttons with fingers, no shit.

Last edited:
Sooo Sekiro is the Deus Ex of the modern era?
For me, yes, absolutely.

Wait, who owns the IP? I thought activision was only a publisher for western market?
I was wrong. You're right. I did some quick research and a lot of people were concerned about the ownership of the Sekiro IP due to the Activision/Microsoft merger and all the sources I found confirmed that Fromsoft owns the Sekiro IP lock, stock, and barrel.

FunkMiller

It's the worst FromSoft game for me, because it lacks build variety, jolly cooperation, and funnels you into a single play style. But it's still an absolutely great game that I put 70 hours into. I'll never go back to it, because it doesn't have the variety to support an NG+, but good on OP for getting it done.

Last edited:

ungalo

I think it's lacking in a lot of departments but it's still an 8/10 just for the 1 v 1 fights and the feeling of blades clashing, which says a lot about how they nailed it indeed.

It's not a bad thing that there is no builds, but i think they should have done better with the prosthetic tools and the arts, most of them are just not very useful (i mean tools are useful but in a situational sense). I think the gameplay could use a little more mechanics.

And it needs to clearly find a better place for stealth and the whole shinobi aspects or if they don't want to they should change their approach of enemy placements and areas entirely because i remember some segments where you're better off just rushing through the entire zone rather than trying to fight some particular enemies, because when they're more than one and it's not the small fry it's just unplayable because it's still the Souls gameplay at core where you (mostly) need to lock on.

Areas in general are not very memorable, 2 or 3 stands out. I feel like everything is too small and linear and the game recycles too much. They certainly can do a lot better if they want to. When you replay the game it's pretty shocking how you can finish it in 3 or 4 hours (sure in straight line but still). Even on first playthrough rushing through the zones is so OP that they have to put white barrier with minibosses to stop you, game design wise this game sure has its flaws.

That's why i really want Sekiro 2 to happen. I hope they'll make it.

Last edited:
It’s a great game, but:

1. As per usual with From Software, it’s filled with bullshit sidequests that are impossible to figure out on your own unless you have no life.

2. The last third of the game (minus the palace) felt a little lazy. Reused locations, reused mini bosses, reused bosses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom