• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Shadow of the Colossus Remaster

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ArtisticGiftedGartersnake-size_restricted.gif

When this game was made free on PS Plus, I was so happy! Truly and honestly one of the greatest games of all time. The upgrade is very welcome, this game looks and plays like a classic myth. Playing this game right now, I'm at the seventh boss, the underwater one, and the graphical upgrade is jawdropping. Truly this is one of those games where a good remake only enhances an already epic experience.

SpeedySelfishAmericanwigeon-size_restricted.gif

At first, I admit, the controls were a bit to get used to. But I wouldn't have it any other way. It uses a lot of fixed camera angles, it has a bit more elegant approach to it. Love how you have get the horse started and he'll just autorun and you can enjoy the beautiful visuals. Love love love all the bosses, the story, the psychedelic tunnel of reincarnation that you fly through every time you kill a boss. What a special game!

SourWatchfulJenny-size_restricted.gif

A bit of history: I first played SoC in a PS2 emulator on my computer, it was running like 20fpps, but it was just such a cool game i had to play all the way through it.

This remake is really nice. Anything I should look out for or side quests to do?

Last edited:

Fbh

It's an awesome remake of an awesome game. To this date no game that I've played has come even close a to doing big bosses/enemies as well as SOTC

The remake brings the visuals up to current gen standards while maintaining the same feeling of playing the original release. And the 60fps mode on Ps4 pro is great

#Phonepunk#

Banned
you can tell this game was so influential among game designers. everything from BOTW to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has lots of obvious homages to the game.

the size of the monsters is really something else. the fur effects look really nice, like what they would have gone for back then, if they had the tech.

psorcerer

Banned
you can tell this game was so influential among game designers. everything from BOTW to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has lots of obvious homages to the game.

the size of the monsters is really something else. the fur effects look really nice, like what they would have gone for back then, if they had the tech.

The tech in original is amazing.
The tech in remake - not so much. Sadly.

psorcerer

Banned
Genuinely curious. How so?

- water shader has problems switching from above to under. In the original there was a clever hack to make it underwater more visible.
- water shader + particles makes it even more disoriented
- IK correction is fucked up on quite a lot of surfaces. Maybe because they added polys but not fixed it
- collisions are botched in a lot of places: you can't grab, can't stand, can't hit places that were easily doable in the orig
- double jumps with grabs are fucked up
- camera is really something else. Path correction was probably not play tested
- I think they increased stamina, to at least somehow make it more playable.

There are probably other things. Got to 8th or 9th and rage quit. Because the character was not doing what I wanted and easily did in the original.

bender

What time is it?
Thanks for the run down. I'm probably to far removed from the original or PS3 HD treatment but none of those difference jumped out at me, but I don't really have a keen eye for those sorts of technical differences.

There are probably other things. Got to 8th or 9th and rage quit. Because the character was not doing what I wanted and easily did in the original.

Normal difficulty? I haven't tried hard but I don't recall any of the releases being all that challenging with the exception of the final boss which I've always found a tad disorienting I do have a routine with the games though as I always discover all the prayer temples and farm the silver tailed lizards so my stamina bar is beyond what the game expects.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been playing this for the past week or so. I think I'm on the last Colossus right now. It has been pleasantly surprising. I've been enjoying it a lot.

I played the original on PS2 and made it to the 11th Colossus (that fucking bull). I just wasn't feeling enticed to go further. I tried the HD remaster on PS3 when it was free on Plus and wasn't feeling it either. But this remake is pretty damn good. I like exploring and finding fruits and tails and just taking in the awesome scenery and ambiance.

There are technical issues like those mentioned already in the thread. And the 11th Colossus still fucking sucks. And I ran into an issue with the 15th as well. I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing but what should have happened wasn't happening so I assumed I wasn't supposed to do it. It was like 20+ minutes of confusion until I looked it up and found out it was just retarded.

psorcerer

Banned
Thanks for the run down. I'm probably to far removed from the original or PS3 HD treatment but none of those difference jumped out at me, but I don't really have a keen eye for those sorts of technical differences.

Normal difficulty? I haven't tried hard but I don't recall any of the releases being all that challenging with the exception of the final boss which I've always found a tad disorienting I do have a routine with the games though as I always discover all the prayer temples and farm the silver tailed lizards so my stamina bar is beyond what the game expects.

It's not challenging.
It's just retarded. You jump and grab and miss. Why? Because that particular triangle was recessed. You shoot arrow and it bounces. Why? That particular place is not aligned with the "weak spot".
Etc. Etc.

P.S. all of the above does not apply to the original. Which was very smooth in the gameplay department. Just in case. Seeing that much lol's I suspect that people don't read 😂😂

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I played the original game day 1 when it first came out. It blew my mind in a way that no other game did before it. It made me see video games (and what they can do ) from a new perspective.

The remake is a love letter to the original and really shows the love and respect Blue Point had for the original.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I actually found the original to be too weird to handle. This remake plays much much better!

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I bought it recently, and it was one of my best investments.

This game is INCREDIBLE. And I believe it to be more of a remake, than a remaster.

It's an amazing experience.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I think sometimes Old GAF was better when this board has "new = better" consume product mentality.

I'm on the sixth Colossus right now, yeah it looks alright but the game never needed to be remade in the first place once again. It was perfectly fine on PS2 and then it got that PS3 remaster. This games legacy has been damaged pretty badly, so another release on PS5 then yeah?

radewagon

I think sometimes Old GAF was better when this board has "new = better" consume product mentality.

I'm on the sixth Colossus right now, yeah it looks alright but the game never needed to be remade in the first place once again. It was perfectly fine on PS2 and then it got that PS3 remaster. This games legacy has been damaged pretty badly, so another release on PS5 then yeah?

Sometimes it's okay if no one plays devil's advocate. Like now, for example. The remake is Bluepoint's magnum opus. It is a gaming triumph. It is poetry. I just don't understand how such a remake (or the 3D enabled PS3 remaster) in any way do damage to the game's legacy. If anything, they have enhanced it. The original, though great, was plagued with performance issues. Though the PS3 remaster pretty much rectified that, it did make it pretty clear that the game's assets had aged quite a bit since their original release. The remake did what every good remake should strive to do. It uses modern technology to recreate the feeling of what it was like to play the original back when the original was groundbreaking.

Best playing version of my personal favorite game of all time (in a honorable tie with Automata and Majora's Mask). Be sure to have some adequate sound around you to fully feel that amazing and timeless OST. I'm gonna sound like a boomer here, but I feel like the game lost a bit of its soul in the remake. The good stuff far outweigh the negative and this is a fantastic experience all the same.

For how focused games are on the narrative these days, it's funny that pretty much no studio managed to deliver such a pristine and elegant story as SOTC. I honestly can only think of From and Playdead as worthy heirs to the beautiful legacy based Ueda set all those years ago.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Are we ever gonna get same treatment for ICO someday? That game is also really good and with my surprise, it aged really well after playing the remaster on my PS3.

Last edited:

Miles708

I will never understand how Bluepoint botched the protagonist's face so badly.
Actually, the face is fine, just his expression is so blank and lifeless.

It's a very weird thing to get wrong, when the rest of the package has an incredible level of talent on display!

I regretfully have to admit that i've spent HOURS (both in game and on photomode) to admire the rocks in this game. Yes, the rocks, they're so good. I'm a speleologist now.

Kev Kev

still never beat this game, but i just bought a ps4 pro nd it is now atop my list of my PS exlcusives i need to catch up on

i loooooove love loved Ico, and i only played that game on a whim. cant wait toplay this remaster and then the last guardian... i may even go back and replay Ico

Last edited:
Easily Sonys best 3rd person action adventure. I love how this game does not need a ton of story/videos/cutscenes/dialogues/sidekicks/generic combat to be great.

ROMhack

Great game. Great remaster. Started it on hard and I think it's the best way to appreciate the game - normal is a little easy.

I own three separate copies of SotC. It's my favourite game ever.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
This was my Favorite PS4 exclusive. Man what a game. I might replay it now.
This and Spiderman made me glad I picked the console up.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This reminds me I have yet to play the remaster on my proper 5.1 setup...seems like a good time to be quarantined

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

I think what this user is saying why should I buy a game that was released on previous gen consoles? I think it was smart on SONY's part in terms of adding value to Playstation Plus.

Mato

I played and loved the original on PS2. I hope the remake comes out on Steam sooner than later.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I think what this user is saying why should I buy a game that was released on previous gen consoles? I think it was smart on SONY's part in terms of adding value to Playstation Plus.
i mean, you don't have to. nobody has to buy anything they don't want. several people here pointed out the first game is great, that they prefer it to the remake. if you only want to play the original, that is fine.

nobody is saying the remake makes the original bad. the defensiveness on display, i swear to god...

i think its a great we have BOTH the game changing original AND this new remaster. everything doesn't have to be VERSUS. both things can co exist. i mean how nice it is to even be able to complain about water textures or whatever in a SoC remaster.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
It's a great remake to an awesome game but I wish the remake tried some new stuff. They should have put a bonus mode for fighting some of the cut colossus in there or something along those lines. Instead the only new thing they added is something so convoluted and silly to fully do, about 99.8% of players won't even try to achieve it.

Also back on PS2 I was really good and could pull off some crazy tricks to climb the colossus but in the remake I can't even beat the time attacks. There's something different about the movement or the way stamina works in the remake that makes it harder but I can't put my finger on what exactly.

yes, SOTC is a wonderful game and one of the contenders that can be the prime example in the case for video game as art. it's also one of a few video games that had made me tear up (you know which part it is).

for those who's just got into this, I would also highly recommend Journey on PS4. the game is beautiful and emotional when you first play it. it's solo and multiplayer experience is pretty different also and I'm not sure if there's still people playing it out there to provide you with a multiplayer experience but even the solo game is wonderful.

psorcerer

Banned
Also back on PS2 I was really good and could pull off some crazy tricks to climb the colossus but in the remake I can't even beat the time attacks. There's something different about the movement or the way stamina works in the remake that makes it harder but I can't put my finger on what exactly.

I have explained most of the problems in my post earlier.
The collision and overall physics of the controls were screwed big time.

Grinchy

Banned
That final colossus sure does fucking suck. The controls are just too wonky the second the game requires any precision.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just now getting to the final colossus. Wow what a ride. Poor Agro :(

Really glad I played through this. The game is a masterpiece. The remasters looks good especially during the crazier setpieces (holding on to the colossus that goes in the water probably the highlight for me!).

A must play. If you like video games you should play through this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom