• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Sherlock - This show is great, but the finale of season 3 is where it got bad

I'm not sure I buy the "it was always shit" argument, but I do think that the series always had some systemic flaws, they just became far more obvious and outweighed the good by the latter series. I mean, Season 2 had "Hound of the Baskervilles" in it.

Also, some people just aren't Moffat fans, and that has less to do with any quality of the show and more with people not liking a personal style. I don't like most of what Quentin Tarantino makes, that doesn't mean everything he makes is shit.

It's a tricky thing; I feel fairly comfortable in saying that a fair bit of the latter day Sherlock hate was supercharged by discomfort over how Moffat was handling Doctor Who as well. These were two of the most iconic properties in British culture, so to have them both be 'ruined' by the same guy got frustrating. Inversely, the letdown with Who often provided an odd form of hype for Sherlock: "Well, Moffat's actually had time to hammer out the scripts, so of course it'll be better than his annual output on Doctor Who!" So that proving not to be the case left people even more disappointed than usual.

Finished the season.

The first episode was kind of bad, but it got redeemed by killing off Mary at the end. I truly wasn't expecting this, so kudos, I guess. It would have still been better to not have her be some super secret agent.

I overall enjoyed the finale, but the very end (the part with Mary narrating) was kind of a weak (and corny) ending. "You are Sherlock Holmes and John Watson" [as they run out of a building]. Eh. I really wanted a personal scene between Sherlock and Molly. The best scene of the episode was the one where he had to save her. Man. It was tense. Like, Denis-Villeneuve-Prisoners tense. That scene needed a companion one at the end of the episode. Not necessarily have Sherlock and Molly get together (though the romantic in me really wants this to happen), but at least some sweet scene.

Anyways, yeah, you guys were right that this was the weakest season. By far. Here's hoping the next one is better (and doesn't take three years to get made).

Top Bottom